Being a Michael Jackson fan and missing out on the 80's

Yeezy

Proud Member
I started thinking about this really when I made the thread about Mikes Simpson edisode. That was done in 1991. I was born in 1990. I feel some sort of privelege to of lived when Michael did. Meaning Im glad I got to an age where I could really recognize his greatness and become a genuine fan.

But it still makes me think OMG I missed out on Michael during the 70s/80s and early 90s. I dont want to sound bias for the younger generation but wow I can't explain how much I was looking forward to everythin happening relating to This Is It. I think we that hadn't witnessed a HUGE Michael era before was lookin forward to it the most. A brand new start, a brand new era. Where Michael would take the world by storm just like he did in the 80s and 90s. I was at the age where I could truly appreciate him and his music.

Im jealous of the older fans that got to go to the BAD concerts and the Dangerous concerts. Its a horrible feeling to know you missed out on the Thriller era etc.

Anyone else feel the same?

michael was pretty huge during the 90s also! granted not quite as huge as he was during the 80s, but still the most famous person on the planet :cheeky:
But I guess if you were born during 1990 you were probably too young to remember him during those years :( man it was great back then! boys dressing as mj, girls fighting over who would get to marry him! :laugh:
I never got to see his concerts either (though my mom saw him twice during the bad world tour while pregnant with me.. so I like to pretend I did) so I feel you on that one!
I did get to experience a time when mj was the coolest guy on earth, but I do get jealous of those who were there during the j5 years, thriller years, etc .. man! I'd give anything to experience one of those concerts!

Michael's record setting career took off in the video age.All of his ground breaking work is on video. you have access to the internet,therefore michael's massive legacy is not lost.It's all there.Research the archives of credible news papers,music mags,Mtv etc.Michael was obsessive about video taping every little and big thing he did.He travelled every where with his personal videographer,so imagine mj's library which i am sure sony and his estate will exploit in the near future.Feel sorry for his many usa fans (me included)who have never seen him in concert either,because mj last toured the usa on the last leg of his Bad tour in 1989.Michael lives forever on video.And now on the big screen with THIS IS IT.

Im jealous of the older fans that got to go to the BAD concerts and the Dangerous concerts. Its a horrible feeling to know you missed out on the Thriller era etc.

Awwwww :(
I missed the 70's and the Thriller era. I was just this little girl then to fully appreciate MJ. During the BAd era I thought he was this super out of this world celebrety, perfect dancer and completely out of reach. I really got closer while Dangerous and HIStory.

But you see, I arrived too late to the forums, so I feel like I missed the last years of MJ, while we were waiting for This is it :(

I would love to be a J5 and The Jacksons fan in the 70's I just would love to have chance to go to their concerts. And see Michael live. Maybe I should ask my parents if they have seen MJ live before. Although they never said they did. Being born in 1989 is a drag sometimes. :(

I'm one of those "older" fans. It's a blessing growing up with MJ!! I was a little girl back in the 70's, when MJ's career was just beginning. I remember Michael, the little bro of J5 singing like he was an old man who knew everything about love and life. The "Thriller" era was awesome, too!!!! So many questioned if Michael would be a success after J5 and the Jacksons. I think, we knew, undoubtedly after the Motown 25 anniversary performance!!! MJ was going to soar exceedingly high!! And, he did just that... He was the first black artist to video on MTV with Billie Jean, and "Thriller" is the highest selling album, to this day, almost thirty years later!!! WOW!!!

I started thinking about this really when I made the thread about Mikes Simpson edisode. That was done in 1991. I was born in 1990. I feel some sort of privelege to of lived when Michael did. Meaning Im glad I got to an age where I could really recognize his greatness and become a genuine fan.

But it still makes me think OMG I missed out on Michael during the 70s/80s and early 90s. I dont want to sound bias for the younger generation but wow I can't explain how much I was looking forward to everythin happening relating to This Is It. I think we that hadn't witnessed a HUGE Michael era before was lookin forward to it the most. A brand new start, a brand new era. Where Michael would take the world by storm just like he did in the 80s and 90s. I was at the age where I could truly appreciate him and his music.

Anyone else feel the same?

Absolutely all that I would say. I am just 2 years older than you and I totally feel the same...

I'm one of those "older" fans. It's a blessing growing up with MJ!! I was a little girl back in the 70's, when MJ's career was just beginning. I remember Michael, the little bro of J5 singing like he was an old man who knew everything about love and life. The "Thriller" era was awesome, too!!!! So many questioned if Michael would be a success after J5 and the Jacksons. I think, we knew, undoubtedly after the Motown 25 anniversary performance!!! MJ was going to soar exceedingly high!! And, he did just that... He was the first black artist to video on MTV with Billie Jean, and "Thriller" is the highest selling album, to this day, almost thirty years later!!! WOW!!!

This is wonderful!!!!

Could you tell us a bit more about the Thriller era? I mean how it was in everyday life, at college or school? Would people really respect Mike then (as we should always do)?

And my long time unanswered question... maybe you know the answer:

Did Michael ever sang "Someone in the dark" on tour (Victory)? Did he? I love that song so much!!!!

I am soooooo thankfull that I lived at the time of thriller it was truly magical especially the grammy awards time.

This is wonderful!!!!

Could you tell us a bit more about the Thriller era? I mean how it was in everyday life, at college or school? Would people really respect Mike then (as we should always do)?

And my long time unanswered question... maybe you know the answer:

Did Michael ever sang "Someone in the dark" on tour (Victory)? Did he? I love that song so much!!!!
Every day life, was a little different, we didn't have the technology we have today-the internet, cell-phones, etc. Michael, was respected more,by the public- in spite of being on the front page of the tabloids. Everywhere were people wearing Beat It Jackets, or the one glove; dancing like Michael to Thriller, or Billie Jean. The 80's were the brightest years of his career, imo.

Every day life, was a little different, we didn't have the technology we have today-the internet, cell-phones, etc. Michael, was respected more, in spite of being on the front page of the tabloids. Everywhere were people wearing Beat It Jackets, or the one glove; dancing like Michael to Thriller, or Billie Jean. The 80's were the height of his career, imo.

I have read interviews from those days and they all seem quite polite. Media was not that mean those days? At least in my country, I remember media was so careful and well behaved, nothing about gossip, and this crazy way they act today about famous people. Or maybe it is that I was just too young to really see things the way they were.

I have read interviews from those days and they all seem quite polite. Media was not that mean those days? At least in my country, I remember media was so careful and well behaved, nothing about gossip, and this crazy way they act today about famous people. Or maybe it is that I was just too young to really see things the way they were.
Well, it was always gossip, but back then, the media was more polite than they are today. They are vicious now. What little respect the media had is history.

I am still trying to figure out what lead to all the Huge Hype of Thriller to sell that so much. I wish that I knew but I wasn't born then.

Well, it was always gossip, but back then, the media was more polite than they are today. They are vicious now. What little respect the media had is history.

I see :(
We have really missed some good manners.

My first clear memory of Thriller comes from this flashback of my neighbour coming to my house. We were at my door and then I saw she had this button with a picture of "that guy", the guy who I thought I had seen before. The name "Michael Jackson" came to my mind, but I really couldn't understand who he really was. For me, saying Michael Jackson was like saying "Frank Sinatra" or "The Beatles", that is extremely famous people from the USA...

LOL.. for at those early years, I thought people speaking English HAD to be from the USA hahahaahaha!!

And what about the 70's? The J5 were really that famous? I see the videos of screaming and loving fans, and that is so good! Were they that famous or just another famous band along with others? I can read this on the interviews, but I'd really like to have the opinion of someone who was actually there :)

Oh I often wish I could have been a kid/teen during the Thriller era. That would have been awesome. I also keep thinking I wish I had a time machine and travel back to see the Bad tour. Man that would be amazing. Sometimes I wish I could have been a kid during J5 days too like my mom was. Still I am grateful that I did grow up while he was alive too. To have been able to experience his greatness while he was alive. :)

I see :(
We have really missed some good manners.

My first clear memory of Thriller comes from this flashback of my neighbour coming to my house. We were at my door and then I saw she had this button with a picture of "that guy", the guy who I thought I had seen before. The name "Michael Jackson" came to my mind, but I really couldn't understand who he really was. For me, saying Michael Jackson was like saying "Frank Sinatra" or "The Beatles", that is extremely famous people from the USA...

LOL.. for at those early years, I thought people speaking English HAD to be from the USA hahahaahaha!!

And what about the 70's? The J5 were really that famous? I see the videos of screaming and loving fans, and that is so good! Were they that famous or just another famous band along with others? I can read this on the interviews, but I'd really like to have the opinion of someone who was actually there :)
I was a little girl in the 70's, but, J5 was the only young black group who topped the charts with the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, around the world. They were featured on the top shows, too...Ed Sullivan, Merv Griffin,etc. And, they had their own cartoon, and television commercial. They were the young, black, sensations of that time. MJ always was special. He sang as if he KNEW what he was singing about. He was authentic, and he made you believe, gave you hope, and inspiration even as a child.

I was born on January 4th of 1980. So I am one of Michael's older fans and I am so very thankful that I got to experience Michael in the 80s and 90s. Even though I was only a little kid in the 80s. I only have very little memory of Michael Jackson mania. But what I do remember it was the most greatest time to be a Michael Jackson fan. OMG it was so great back then. For those of you that missed out on Michael Jackson mania. Here is a 3 part video of what it was like back then:

But whenever I watch that program. Even long before I had ever saw that program. I still so badly wish I was born in 1960 or 1970. That way I will be even older during the 80s and I would really got to experience what it was like when the Thriller album came out. I was only 2 years old when Thriller came out. And I would really remember Michael Jackson mania. I can only imagine what my bedroom would have looked like back then. If I was in my teens or 20s back then. But I am still so very thankful that I got to experience Michael when I did.

(sigh)

I feel like I've missed out on A LOT because I was born in '91.

I really didn't get to appreciate Michael until I had a mind of my own and stop following the popular mainstream songs...

I often wished I was alive during MJ mania. It would have been so cool to live in a time when the majority LOVES Michael like me. Not only that, I would have seen first hand the hysteria, the videos, the masterpieces... :sad:

I have read many many newspaper clips, articles, and tv clips during this time and it makes me wish even more to have witness this era first hand.

I always have wished i was born in late 60`s or early 70`s and everytime i said that outloud my friend from work would comment "so you could live the thriller era" lol. Absolutely. I found Michael when i was 8 in 1995 during his mtv performance. I was most anticipated for the album Invincible, which is my favourite album. Now i sometimes feel that there is no more anticipation for anything "entertainment wise"..Just reliving thriller in my own small ways.

WWWWOOOOWW!!!
This Michael mania was really something EXCELLENT!! It made me feel all the love, the wild passion of those days. Woww... that must have been great, wonderful, exciting!! Did you see those kids? and the girls?? But not only them, it was EVERYBODY!! And I have even learned new stuff about MJ, especially about the Victoy tour which for me remains a biiiggg unknown issue I need to know more about.

Thank you so much for sharing!!!!

But did you see?? Early flash mobs even then!!! LOL :D
The PYTs were early trend setters :D
(see the video, please!)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I really loved this and I loved to have for once this wonderful feeling of back on those days.... it as a Thriller!!!!

I am totally there with you all. I was born the day that "Man in the Mirror" was released :)D) ...which sometimes weirds me out when I think about it too much, because
1) To a certain extent, I feel like I was there because I know more than a lot of people who actually were there. =P
2) Michael seems so...ageless. I think of him in terms of years/eras, not ages. It's always "Bad era Michael" or "Invincible Michael", never "29 year old Michael" or "43 year old Michael" LoL. If you gave me an age and asked me to coordinate it with an event in his life or something, I'd almost have to do the math, LoL. I just don't ever think of him as having an age. (Except 50. I do have a concept of 50, but I think only because there's been so much talk of that number this year, for so many reasons...)

But my dad was born 7 months after Michael and I envy him so much because of that. I can't even fathom what a crazy rollercoaster ride it must have been to grow up alongside Michael, to be there for the whole ride, on the same level as him. He remembers J5 and how awesome it was that this megastar kid was the same age as him and he remembers, as a young guy, how cool Off the Wall was, etc, etc, etc....all the way up until when he passed and how weird it was for him because Michael had always been in his life, they'd gone through every era together and for that to be over now... I can only imagine. =( God, what I wouldn't give for that experience. Man.

It doesn't feel fair because, first of all, the world lost him way way way too soon, but second, us 80s/90s babies really lost him too soon. I mean, we spent 15-25 years with him in our lives, but that's not the same as living through the golden eras and experiencing the whole world in love with Michael. =( or watching him grow and evolve and watching his career just explode. For as long as we've known him he's been the most famous person on the planet as well as the most controversial. :no:

I feel privileged to have walked the same earth and been in the same world (and room! LoL.) at the same time as Michael, but I hope you all who were born prior to 70 or 75 know JUST how lucky you are to have the 40+ years worth of truly extraordinary experiences and memories that you have.

(Sorry so long...=P)

Last edited:
OH YEAH!

It kills me that I never had the chance to go to a Bad tour or Dangerous even History....

I never experience the line ups just to get tickets...

never experience going to the record store the day a new album will come out.... excluding re-releases..

never experience watching Motown 25/84 Grammys and AMA's live and gushing about it the next day in school...

never experience watching his music videos premiere....

:cry:

this has made me feel so sad but also comforted because me and my mother have talked alot about this lately. I was born in 81 and have some 80s mania memories. I have video footage of myself on my mum's 21st b-day party hiding behind her skirt when everyone was dancing to Thriller because I was scared of Vincent Prices' voice. I remember the long hot hazy Bad mania summer when an MJ Bad tape in your cassette player was as natural to have as we all have mobile phones now. If you had one you were cool. The market stalls were full of pin badges and scarfs and Lookin' magazine (and Smash Hits) had a regular poster; they were so regular you took it for granted. I remember on 'wet break' and end of term treats at school our teacher would go to the Ritz video store and pick up 3 videos for us to choose...The Goonies, Neverending Story and Moonwalker...there was a big vote and Moonwalker would win because the boys liked the bit where MJ turns into a car and the girls loved Michael. I remember Dangerous coming out and all of a sudden basketball was cool in the playground (Jam video) and Bart Simpson wore an MJ t-shirt. Heal the World was my big awakening to global issues at 10 yrs old.

My mum was born in 63 and when MJ passed it shook her world cos he had always been there. Her Michael was this amazing genius but beautiful boy who she got to see on TOTP (Top of the Pops)..again as others said it was a different media world - you had to be a lot more patient. My mum said one of the outstanding things about J5 / Jacksons and even OTW MJ was that there WAS a colour barrier (even in the UK) - she tol me that J5 got in all the teen mags - they were the only black icons in those mags and it was the rebel white teen girl who admitted they fancied the group / individual member as there was this unspoken colour barrier. My mum remembers when OTW came out (she was late teens) MJ was breaking those barriers down as the fresh, classy disco music was too good for everyone to deny and this was around the time when colour become less of an issue - MJ helped this because he was so incredible in every way - ignorance and fear werent strong enough to beat 'the force' to quote the song. Thriller is remembered by my mum as the time when everyone would stay in (like we do for the XFactor final) because Thriller was goin to be shown on one of the 3 channels. Michael was a dream pin up with the Llama or Bubbles - a kind of disney / cant do no wrong prince hero, full of innocence and magic.

Post 1993 was a different world for MJ fans. We had little, fragmented magic moments like HIStory statue floating, Earth Song xmas no.1, the HIStory tour,Brit Awards 96, WMA 96/97?, Oxford speech, MJ and Friends concerts all the video releases..GHOSTS was amazing and I dont think it has enough coverage or even discussions by fans...the MJ Sony demo in London 2001/2?, , All incredible. Despite these moments 93' was the end of the bubble burst and MJ was persecuted for the rest of his life by the evil media we all live with. When we have had time to get perspective on this terrible crime I am sure we will be able to get justice for Michael..sadly at the moment we are still living through it.

I have one thing to say to fans of the 1990s / 00s - you are the most remarkable and be proud of your independent minds, faith and courage..especially if you were in school when you became a fan...it will be your generation of fans that has the privilage of keeping Michael's legacy alive and will live your lives alongside his beautiful children. See that as your mission and you wont feel depressed about not getting to live through the 70s and 80s.

L.O.V.E XX

I feel the same, I was born in 93 though! :( too young to even go to the history tour really :(

I wish I was a teen in the 80's, but then again I'm so happy that i was here when he was here and the excitement of when a new picture came out or hearing the news he was doing a press conference at the o2, that was the best day of my life and then especially when I got tickets too! :)

I would give anything to have been able to be there and witnessed his whole career, the michaelmania, going to all the tours, just everything really :( , but oh well as i said im so grateful to have seen just a little bit of it and that i was here when he was! :)

Last edited:
i think unless u were around the same age as mj u will always wish u had been born earlier cause u will always have missed some part.theres no point going on about it cause its not like u could have changed anything. its not like u were there but didint bother going to see him

yeah I miss that for sure I became a fan shortly before INvincible was released, wish I were older.

(sigh)

I feel like I've missed out on A LOT because I was born in '91.

I really didn't get to appreciate Michael until I had a mind of my own and stop following the popular mainstream songs...

I often wished I was alive during MJ mania. It would have been so cool to live in a time when the majority LOVES Michael like me. Not only that, I would have seen first hand the hysteria, the videos, the masterpieces... :sad:

I have read many many newspaper clips, articles, and tv clips during this time and it makes me wish even more to have witness this era first hand.

It really was such a great time to be a Michael Jackson fan. You would have so loved it. Especially since Michael Jackson haters were practically unheard of back then. Everyone just loved Michael and you were consider cool to be a Michael Jackson fan. It was totally unlike what it is now. If you are an MJ fan. It really was such an amazing time back then. A time that I so badly wish I could relive again.

WWWWOOOOWW!!!
This Michael mania was really something EXCELLENT!! It made me feel all the love, the wild passion of those days. Woww... that must have been great, wonderful, exciting!! Did you see those kids? and the girls?? But not only them, it was EVERYBODY!! And I have even learned new stuff about MJ, especially about the Victoy tour which for me remains a biiiggg unknown issue I need to know more about.

Thank you so much for sharing!!!!

But did you see?? Early flash mobs even then!!! LOL :D
The PYTs were early trend setters :D
(see the video, please!)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I really loved this and I loved to have for once this wonderful feeling of back on those days.... it as a Thriller!!!!

Your very welcome. I thought that video would be so perfect for the topic. It still makes me wonder if the PYTs are still Michael Jackson fans now. As well as all of the other kids that was in that program. I knew when I became a MJ fan in the early 80s I will be a fan for life. Except now I love Michael more now than I ever did before.

QUOTE=PrincessMichaela;2434885]I am totally there with you all. I was born the day that "Man in the Mirror" was released :)D) ...which sometimes weirds me out when I think about it too much, because
1) To a certain extent, I feel like I was there because I know more than a lot of people who actually were there. =P
2) Michael seems so...ageless. I think of him in terms of years/eras, not ages. It's always "Bad era Michael" or "Invincible Michael", never "29 year old Michael" or "43 year old Michael" LoL. If you gave me an age and asked me to coordinate it with an event in his life or something, I'd almost have to do the math, LoL. I just don't ever think of him as having an age. (Except 50. I do have a concept of 50, but I think only because there's been so much talk of that number this year, for so many reasons...)

But my dad was born 7 months after Michael and I envy him so much because of that. I can't even fathom what a crazy rollercoaster ride it must have been to grow up alongside Michael, to be there for the whole ride, on the same level as him. He remembers J5 and how awesome it was that this megastar kid was the same age as him and he remembers, as a young guy, how cool Off the Wall was, etc, etc, etc....all the way up until when he passed and how weird it was for him because Michael had always been in his life, they'd gone through every era together and for that to be over now... I can only imagine. =( God, what I wouldn't give for that experience. Man.

It doesn't feel fair because, first of all, the world lost him way way way too soon, but second, us 80s/90s babies really lost him too soon. I mean, we spent 15-25 years with him in our lives, but that's not the same as living through the golden eras and experiencing the whole world in love with Michael. =( or watching him grow and evolve and watching his career just explode. For as long as we've known him he's been the most famous person on the planet as well as the most controversial. :no:

I feel privileged to have walked the same earth and been in the same world (and room! LoL.) at the same time as Michael, but I hope you all who were born prior to 70 or 75 know JUST how lucky you are to have the 40+ years worth of truly extraordinary experiences and memories that you have.

(Sorry so long...=P)[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.

this has made me feel so sad but also comforted because me and my mother have talked alot about this lately. I was born in 81 and have some 80s mania memories. I have video footage of myself on my mum's 21st b-day party hiding behind her skirt when everyone was dancing to Thriller because I was scared of Vincent Prices' voice. I remember the long hot hazy Bad mania summer when an MJ Bad tape in your cassette player was as natural to have as we all have mobile phones now. If you had one you were cool. The market stalls were full of pin badges and scarfs and Lookin' magazine (and Smash Hits) had a regular poster; they were so regular you took it for granted. I remember on 'wet break' and end of term treats at school our teacher would go to the Ritz video store and pick up 3 videos for us to choose...The Goonies, Neverending Story and Moonwalker...there was a big vote and Moonwalker would win because the boys liked the bit where MJ turns into a car and the girls loved Michael. I remember Dangerous coming out and all of a sudden basketball was cool in the playground (Jam video) and Bart Simpson wore an MJ t-shirt. Heal the World was my big awakening to global issues at 10 yrs old.

My mum was born in 63 and when MJ passed it shook her world cos he had always been there. Her Michael was this amazing genius but beautiful boy who she got to see on TOTP (Top of the Pops)..again as others said it was a different media world - you had to be a lot more patient. My mum said one of the outstanding things about J5 / Jacksons and even OTW MJ was that there WAS a colour barrier (even in the UK) - she tol me that J5 got in all the teen mags - they were the only black icons in those mags and it was the rebel white teen girl who admitted they fancied the group / individual member as there was this unspoken colour barrier. My mum remembers when OTW came out (she was late teens) MJ was breaking those barriers down as the fresh, classy disco music was too good for everyone to deny and this was around the time when colour become less of an issue - MJ helped this because he was so incredible in every way - ignorance and fear werent strong enough to beat 'the force' to quote the song. Thriller is remembered by my mum as the time when everyone would stay in (like we do for the XFactor final) because Thriller was goin to be shown on one of the 3 channels. Michael was a dream pin up with the Llama or Bubbles - a kind of disney / cant do no wrong prince hero, full of innocence and magic.

Post 1993 was a different world for MJ fans. We had little, fragmented magic moments like HIStory statue floating, Earth Song xmas no.1, the HIStory tour,Brit Awards 96, WMA 96/97?, Oxford speech, MJ and Friends concerts all the video releases..GHOSTS was amazing and I dont think it has enough coverage or even discussions by fans...the MJ Sony demo in London 2001/2?, , All incredible. Despite these moments 93' was the end of the bubble burst and MJ was persecuted for the rest of his life by the evil media we all live with. When we have had time to get perspective on this terrible crime I am sure we will be able to get justice for Michael..sadly at the moment we are still living through it.

I have one thing to say to fans of the 1990s / 00s - you are the most remarkable and be proud of your independent minds, faith and courage..especially if you were in school when you became a fan...it will be your generation of fans that has the privilage of keeping Michael's legacy alive and will live your lives alongside his beautiful children. See that as your mission and you wont feel depressed about not getting to live through the 70s and 80s.

L.O.V.E XX

I totally agree with you. Which is why I seriously need to get my 2 little nephews started on loving Michael Jackson. And see him the way us fans see Michael. Not the way the media would see Michael as.

I was born on January 4th of 1980. So I am one of Michael's older fans and I am so very thankful that I got to experience Michael in the 80s and 90s. Even though I was only a little kid in the 80s. I only have very little memory of Michael Jackson mania. But what I do remember it was the most greatest time to be a Michael Jackson fan. OMG it was so great back then.

:yes: YES! I was born in late '78 (September), and was completely obssessed with Thriller when my family and I moved to The US in '82. I am EXTREMELY grateful and blessed that I "grew up" with Michael during the 80s and 90s. 2 great decades of Michael and music indeed! :wub:

Last edited:
Back