"Shout"
Kids are murdering other kids for the fun of it
Instead of using their mind or their fist they put the gun in it
Wanna be part of a clique, don't know who's running it
Tragedy on top of tragedy you know it's killing me

"Privacy"
Now there's a lesson to learn:
Respect's not given it's earned
Stop maliciously attacking my integrity!

"Who Is It"
I am the dead
I am the dead
I am the agony inside the dying head
This is injustice
Whoa unto thee
I pray this punishment would have mercy on me...

"Heaven Can Wait"
I'd turn it all around
And try to get back down to my baby girl!
Can't stand to see nobody kiss and touching her!

I tend to think MJ lyrics aren't so great when you READ them. The words alone can't be compared to Bob Dylan lyrics, for example. Bob Dylan lyrics can often be read as poems and be very touching without the music. However, Michael's performance makes all the difference. He was so good at making you feel whatever mood the song tries to convey, because his voice is so versatile. He could sing any genre and make you feel exactly the way he wanted you to feel. I love listening to MJ while looking at the lyrics in the album booklet, because the words and the performance complement each other perfectly.

I tend to think MJ lyrics aren't so great when you READ them. The words alone can't be compared to Bob Dylan lyrics, for example. Bob Dylan lyrics can often be read as poems and be very touching without the music. However, Michael's performance makes all the difference. He was so good at making you feel whatever mood the song tries to convey, because his voice is so versatile. He could sing any genre and make you feel exactly the way he wanted you to feel. I love listening to MJ while looking at the lyrics in the album booklet, because the words and the performance complement each other perfectly.

Thank you. I recently coined a term for this, I call it Emotive Vocal Singularity (EVS):': tailoring the emotions of ones vocal performance to fit the particular theme of the song at hand.' This is important in understanding what set MJ as a vocalist apart from his forebears like Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye and James Brown, as well as his 'babies' Justin Timberlake, Chris Brown and Neyo. If you Just listen to three of his hits "Thriller", "Billie Jean" and "Smooth Criminal", in all three his vocal performance is nuanced and tailored emotionally to the lyrics and theme of each song. In "Thriller" he convinced the audience that creepy creatures were really about to attack you. In "Billie Jean", he convinces you through his vocal performance that he is on the edge a breakdown over a femme fatale. In "Smooth Criminal" is masterfully reports from the crime scene that bloody scene is apparent, all through rusted staccato style singing. Now image when other artists try to cover his songs like the ones above it usually comes off as not very convincing because they fail to employ EVS. Now image someone like Elton John singing "Thriller"? Would you at all be convinced? Go watch Chris Brown's performance of "Thriller" at the 2006 BRIT Awards. Did he convince you at all?

I tend to think MJ lyrics aren't so great when you READ them. The words alone can't be compared to Bob Dylan lyrics, for example. Bob Dylan lyrics can often be read as poems and be very touching without the music.

To be honest, why would anyone compare any other musicians bar maybe Curtis Mayfield, Elvis Costello, Lennon-McCartney and Bruce Springsteen to the song-writing prowess of Bob Dylan? He is primarily a SONGWRITER! Not a singer, nor a dancer or an electric live performer. His legacy will be tied up mostly in his poetic and philosophical lyrics. He will not be remembered for gyrating on stage like MJ, vocalising like MJ, bringing a concert of people to their knees like MJ.

Last edited:
Jam
She Pray To God, To Buddha
Then She Sings A
Talmud Song
Confusions Contradict
The Self
Do We Know Right
From Wrong
I Just Want You To
Recognize Me
In The Temple
You Can't Hurt Me
I Found Peace
Within Myself

I read somewhere that "Jam" was originally a poem MJ wrote but Teddy Riley saw it and convinced him to make it into a song.

Last edited:
Jam
She Pray To God, To Buddha
Then She Sings A
Talmud Song
Confusions Contradict
The Self
Do We Know Right
From Wrong
I Just Want You To
Recognize Me
In The Temple
You Can't Hurt Me
I Found Peace
Within Myself

The thing I love most about "Jam" is that it so nuanced from his earlier attempts a call for world unity. Think "Can You Feel It", "We Are The World", "We Are Here To Change The World" and "Another Part Of Me". In those songs writes from the perspective of a calm and patience believing a gentle call with unite the peoples to prepare each other against any impeding doom. However, in Jam, he realises that due to complacency and ignorance that divides the people has come haunt them. The house is now on beginning to shake and will inevitable collapse and crush everyone inside. So now is the rallying cry for unity in the time of great disaster. But as we see in both "Be Not Always" (Cold War) and "Earth Song" (environmental disaster), it was too late.

Another think I noticed in all these songs is his use of vocal delivery to convey not only the message but the context of situation. In the songs before the disaster like "Can You Feel It" right up to "Another Part Of Me", he sings melodically and harmonises the lyrics so as to convince the peoples about what could be their doom in distant future. How ever by "Jam" he realises the this method has not galvanise his full support as the house starts to shake, so injects his signature staccato, percussive and throaty vocal style to emphasis the fierce urgency of the situation. With the world in full blown warfare in"Be Not Always", he tenderly and somewhat hopelessly sounding voice quivers over the lyrics to emphasis the that as watched to disaster unfold he has hopelessly tried but failed. In "Earth Song" he screams out the last third of the lyrics indicating frustration and the waste of land that lays before him. "They Don't Care About Us" and "Stranger In Moscow" represent the post-apocalyptic world.

Last edited:
Said this for thirty years and in his obituary. Rarely gets mentioned.

Singer, yes. Dancer, yes but his songwriting was also sublime.

That's because his best compositions are hidden gems, collecting dust amongst the many album cuts from the Jackson's catalog, his solo catalog and the his unreleased catalog. If folks actually looked beyond his solo hits, they would be inflicted with raised eyebrows as the look at the lyrics to songs like "Be Not Always" and "Little Susie".

Last edited:
Also:

If You Cant Feed Your Baby (Yeah, Yeah)
Then Don't Have A Baby (Yeah, Yeah)
And Don't Think Maybe (Yeah, Yeah)
If You Can't Feed Your Baby (Yeah, Yeah)
You'll Be Always Tryin'
To Stop That Child From Cryin'
Hustlin', Stealin', Lyin'
Now Baby's Slowly Dyin'

I love it how Michael often could couple the most cheerful, dancy music with rather dark and pretty serious lyrics.

Yes, yes, yes!! He did that quite often from songs like "Can You Feel It", to "Jam". That is one of several elements that I've noticed are very unique about is song-writing ability. How does one dance to "Do You Know Where Your Children Are"?

Bob Dylan is considered probably the greatest lyricist in popular music history. That is his lane, that is his strength. Michael wasn't on that level as a lyricist but he did not have to be because he had other strengths both in terms of songwriting and perforiming.

A song is not a poem. A song is complete with the music. If only the lyrics were important in itself it would not be a song, but rather a poem. Whatever emotions or thoughts a song conveys it has to convey it through its entirety, the music and the lyrics together. Some songs have stronger lyrics, some have stronger music, but how it sounds as a whole piece is what matters.

I think in Michael's songs the music was always the more important element - and that is also reflected in his songwriting process: he usually wrote the music first and only then the lyrics. But that does not mean his lyrics were bad. In fact he had a lot of meaningful and important lyrics. Maybe he was not the most poetic lyricist with the words, but he more than made up for that in the music and in his performances and the result were many masterpieces.

Psychoniff;4097551 said:
I read somewhere that "Jam" was originally a poem MJ wrote but Teddy Riley saw it and convinced him to make it into a song.

I think this is not true.

‘Jam’ was originally intended to make Rene’s album:

[video=youtube;OZNzID_MvnQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZNzID_MvnQ[/video]

Bob Dylan is considered probably the greatest lyricist in popular music history. That is his lane, that is his strength. Michael wasn't on that level as a lyricist but he did not have to be because he had other strengths both in terms of songwriting and perforiming.

A song is not a poem. A song is complete with the music. If only the lyrics were important in itself it would not be a song, but rather a poem. Whatever emotions or thoughts a song conveys it has to convey it through its entirety, the music and the lyrics together. Some songs have stronger lyrics, some have stronger music, but how it sounds as a whole piece is what matters.

I think in Michael's songs the music was always the more important element - and that is also reflected in his song-writing process: he usually wrote the music first and only then the lyrics. But that does not mean his lyrics were bad. In fact he had a lot of meaningful and important lyrics. Maybe he was not the most poetic lyricist with the words, but he more than made up for that in the music and in his performances and the result were many masterpieces.

Dylan has all his eggs in one basket I'm afraid. If you were to compare the two as songwriters, MJ would at least have some songs that could match of the quality Dylan's lesser songs like "Be Not Always", "Little Susie", "Money", "Shout", "Stranger In Moscow", "That's What You Get (For Being Polite)" and "We've Had A Enough" as well as others.Mike re-wrote what it meant to be a 'total artist', and 'genre non-specific' musician. He was a jack of all trades master of all. But, there is nothing Dylan has on Mike as singer, dancer or live performer, NOTHING!

Even Carol King, YES, CAROL KING was quoted as saying he was great songwriter (link below).
http://www.bmi.com/news/entry/bmi_mourns_the_passing_of_michael_jackson

Last edited:
If you were to compare the two as songwriters, MJ would at least have some songs that could match of the quality Dylan's lesser songs like "Be Not Always", "Little Susie", "Money", "Shout", "Stranger In Moscow", "That's What You Get (For Being Polite)" and "We've Had A Enough" as well as others. But, there is nothing Dylan has on Mike as singer, dancer or live performer, NOTHING!

Even Carol King, YES, CAROL KING was quoted as saying he was great songwriter (link below).
http://www.bmi.com/news/entry/bmi_mourns_the_passing_of_michael_jackson

How do we know Bob isn't a better dancer than Michael?

mj_frenzy;4097644 said:
I think this is not true.

‘Jam’ was originally intended to make Rene’s album:

[video=youtube;OZNzID_MvnQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZNzID_MvnQ[/video]

Not I meant the lyrics. He wrote the lyrics but the composition began with the others.

Psychoniff;4097667 said:
Not I meant the lyrics. He wrote the lyrics but the composition began with the others.

Hopefully, ‘Jam’ did not end up on Rene’s album.

If You Cant Feed Your Baby (Yeah, Yeah)
Then Don't Have A Baby (Yeah, Yeah)
And Don't Think Maybe (Yeah, Yeah)
If You Can't Feed Your Baby (Yeah, Yeah)
You'll Be Always Tryin'
To Stop That Child From Cryin'
Hustlin', Stealin', Lyin'
Now Baby's Slowly Dyin'

I love it how Michael often could couple the most cheerful, dancy music with rather dark and pretty serious lyrics.

Earlier today I was just thinking about those lyrics, especially the ones I bolded out. I read the malicious presumption they were about Michael's brothers, but I actually think they are a most brilliant plea for economically-based abstinence or at least contraception.

He does seem to have not just the ability to sing seriousness over groovy beats, as noted, but also to rarely and subtly insert himself in cultural debates, like abortion and creationism. That is actually rather surprising considering his apolitical and non-partisan view of the world, as well as his justified reluctance to delve into the specifics of his religious beliefs given the diversity of his fan base.

Take Planet Earth for example. It is a poetic masterpiece all over, but a certain portion sounds to me like the most artistically sublime expression of support for intelligent design :)

Planet Earth, my home, my place
A capricious anomaly in the sea of space
Planet Earth are you just floating by, a cloud of dust
A minor globe, about to bust
A piece of metal, bound to rust
A speck of matter in a mindless void
A lonely spaceship, a large asteroid
Cold as a rock without a hue
Held together with a bit of glue
Something tells me this isn't true

Most of the songs on HIStory have amazing lyrics. Some of my faves:

"If he dies sympathize
Such false witnesses
Damn self-righteousness"

Tabloid Junkie

^^ How prophetic did that prove to be in his own death?

Will You Be There - lyricly a masterpiece.

And Will You Be There was written before all the horrible things happend - yet it somehow seems like MJ had forseen it all!

There does seem to be some sort of prophetic component to Michael's lyrical content. What a shame only the most terrible and the darkest part of his "prophesies" ever came true..........Poetry and music do have that incredible capacity of talking to people's hearts and minds and many can find themselves in the words of artists. With Michael though that experience seems to be taken a bit further and words which initially may have had a certain meaning can add a few other layers of interpretation over time.

This thread has reminded me that MJ was a very underrated lyricist.

Absolutely......the man is freaking brilliant and those who only noticed the baseline in Billie Jean or the Thriller/Beat it routines missed out on the essence, both of the genius and of the man behind the entertainer.

If he would be any less than brilliant he couldn't possibly hold such a huge and most special place in my heart and in my life. He may have caught my eye with them curls, that killer smile of his and that semi-attempt at winking :cheeky: but it was the lyrical content of so very many of his songs which kept my attention for decades. As so many pointed out and proved with the countless quotes and posts, he was absolutely amazing, especially in those deep and socially-aware gems. Those are the tunes that made his mind and soul soooo incredibly attractive and magnetic in my book.

The extra cool thing about it is that he could write entire songs like Shout, Money, Earth song where every line has some sparkle of genius behind it or he could capture the essence of a PhD in philosophy in just a few words - stop existing and start living certainly comes to mind, as does Armageddon of the brain. Don't get me wrong, I think both songs are amazing in their entirety, but these words are particularly striking to me. Not bad at all for a man whose brain capacity has been overshadowed by his other immense talents or simply ignored by the public at large.

Little Susie

To be damned to know hoping is dead and you're doomed
Then to scream out
And nobody's there...

Neglection can kill
Like a knife in your soul

They certainly are reminiscent of Be not always.

Have you felt such pain
To have nothing
To dream something
Then lose hoping
Is not life but lame

His mind may have been brilliant, but we all know spelling wasn't exactly his forte. It turns out his creativity was so wide he even invented a few words in the English vocabulary. I don't know anything about neglection, but neglect can definitely kill, I can vouch for that. Rejecting the needs in her prayers is another of them brilliant combinations of words of which he was so capable to put not just on paper, but also sing with so much emotion and soul.

His ability to emote and the generous spirit in his humanitarian anthems that I blame mostly on his upbringing are responsible for the irresistible allure of his spirit to me. The whole family seems to be preoccupied with bringing the world together (probably due to their JW roots) and also by sheer fact of being an American he has that refreshing and almost innocent impetus for community service and collective social action, a feeling which us, Europeans seem to have partially lost.

Last edited:
The extra cool thing about it is that he could write entire songs like Shout, Money, Earth song where every line has some sparkle of genius behind it or he could capture the essence of a PhD in philosophy in just a few words - stop existing and start living certainly comes to mind, as does Armageddon of the brain. Don't get me wrong, I think both songs are amazing in their entirety, but these words are particularly striking to me. Not bad at all for a man whose brain capacity has been overshadowed by his other immense talents or simply ignored by the public at large.

Those are actually two of MJ's most relatable lyrics (to me). I tend to overload myself with responsibilities, hence my own personal "armageddon of the brain", and whenever that happens, I remind myself to "stop existing and start living". I'm just glad that there are people in the world who still recognize Michael as more than just the person who wrote "Billie Jean", because the true depth and meaning of his artistry goes far beyond what most could ever imagine. Just think--how many brilliant songs have never been heard? How many never made it from his mind onto paper or album? How much genius was left undiscovered?

Last edited:
Be Not Always
Mothers cry, babies die
Helplessly in arms
While rockets fly
And research lies
In progress to become
But what of men
Of flesh and blood
We turn our backs on life
How can we claim to stand for peace
When the races are in strife
Destroying life

Scared Of The Moon
The feeling of terror
She felt as a youth
Has turned from a fantasy
Into the truth
The moon is the enemy
Twisting her soul
And taking its fearful toll
Scared of the moon

Little Susie
But only the man from next door
Knew Little Susie and how he cried
As he reached down
To close Susie's eyes...
She lie there so tenderly
Fashioned so slenderly
Lift her with care
Oh the blood in her hair...

Sunset Driver
You are there when the night's in town
Standing there with the top of the round
They don't care about the things you used to say
You're like the cinema
You think there's nothing wrong

Going town
You do it every time
The word's got out that you're on the line
On the moon
Gotta fever in your shoes
The night's on you
What are you gonna do?

Michael's best lyrics.

Hey guys, I'm assembling a collection of Michael's best lyrics. I though that, instead of doing a boring Google search, I could make it into a fun discussion here. So, what are your fav lyrics and why?

Happy Halloween! :devil::devil::devil:

Re: Michael's best lyrics.

She Drives Me Wild
Black jeans
And a turtleneck sweater
I know the girl is fakin'
'Cause I've seen her look better
She composition
She statistical fact
Got it ready for the willing
Got it kickin' at the back

Dangerous
Deep in the darkness of
Passion's insanity
I felt taken by lust's
Strange inhumanity

"Who Is It":
I am the damned, I am the dead
I am the agony inside the dying head
This is injustice, woe unto thee
I pray this punishment would have mercy on me

"Will You Be There":
But they told me a man should be faithful
And walk when not able
And fight 'til the end
But I'm only human

"Stranger in Moscow":
How does it feel
When you're alone and you're cold inside?

"Little Susie":
It was all for God's sake
For her singing the tune
For someone to feel her despair
To be damned to know hoping is dead
And you're doomed
Then to scream out, and nobody's there
She knew no one cared

"Is It Scary":
Judge not what you see of me
'Cause the heart reveals the proof
Like a mirror reveals the truth
See, the evil one is you

"We've Had Enough" (this verse is especially powerful in the current social climate):
She innocently questioned why
Why her father had to die
She asked the man in blue
"How is it that you get to choose
Who will live and who will die?
Did God say that you could decide?
You saw he didn't run
And that my daddy had no gun"

i have whole bunch of favorite lyrics but one of them is i ain't scare of no sheets. that's so deep and unforgetting due to the fact he meant he wasn't afraid of the KKK because he was a black man.

people say michael didn't know his race and culture etc. but he did. he was very smart.

He innocently questioned why
Why his mother had to die
What did these soldiers come here for?
If they're for peace, why is there war?
Did God say that they could decide
Who will live and who will die?
All my mama ever did
Was try to take care of her kids

We're innocently standing by
Watching people lose their lives
It seems as if we have no voice
It's time for us to make a choice