Best of Joy - Original Version

The 2010 remix of DYKWYCA is the single best posthumous cut to date. McClain absolutely knocked it out of the park. It deserved a proper release.
Yes, it really is just so quality. It truly felt like not only an MJ cut, but the MJ cut. Like definitive. If MJ heard that version he'd definitely put it on a record.

Yes, it really is just so quality. It truly felt like not only an MJ cut, but the MJ cut. Like definitive. If MJ heard that version he'd definitely put it on a record.
I remember when the 2010 cut leaked, fans were convinced for the longest time that it was an MJ approved mix. That alone says everything.

The 2010 remix of DYKWYCA is the single best posthumous cut to date. McClain absolutely knocked it out of the park. It deserved a proper release.
And then we ended up with Timbalands crap version on Xscape... Worst posthumous song released IMO. - The production is 100 % off and sounds nothing like anything I imagine MJ would release... - So sad they did not release McClains version.

McClain has made some of the best mixes of MJ's posthumously released songs IMO. - very true to MJ's vision I think.

Sorry if this has already been discussed but any information why he changed the title and lyrics 'I am your toy, I am your boy' to
'I am your joy, your best of joy'?
Was it because it was originally written for Richard Pryor's movie, were the lyrics too sexually ambiguous or did 'joy' just sounded better..?

Last edited:
I think since the song would not accompany the movie the lyrics made no sense.

So to chance it to joy was an easy way to make the song more general - and better.
My English is not that good, so would the word 'toy' not make sense without context? I mean I like 'joy' too but 'toy' gives me the impression of him being a 'playball', hopelessly and powerless in love, which I kinda like

Did John McClain also do the 'Behind The Mask' version on 'Michael'? I kinda like that one but tbh he made it sound more 'Bad' than 'Thriller' (with crowd noise from Dangerous)
McClain has worked on Behind The Mask, Much Too Soon and Love Never Felt So Good. In my opinion, these three are some of the best posthumous songs. I would love to have an album solely produced by John McClain.

John McCain and ironically enough Teddy Riley are the best producers to have worked for the Estate (take Hollywood Tonight, Breaking News and Monster for example, Teddy/s remixes are significantly better than the demos). Hopefully they'll be back for the next album.
Teddy Riley did the Throwback Mix of Hollywood right? If so then I'd agree.

And then we ended up with Timbalands crap version on Xscape... Worst posthumous song released IMO. - The production is 100 % off and sounds nothing like anything I imagine MJ would release... - So sad they did not release McClains version.

McClain has made some of the best mixes of MJ's posthumously released songs IMO. - very true to MJ's vision I think.
Rodney Jerkins said MJ would go crazy over the intro and Damien Shields said this version sounds like a song MJ was explicitly working on late in the 2000s, so idk about all that... It's fine to not like it, but MJ would release whatever he vibed to. He had great, eclectic taste in music.

He did the album mix. Not sure if he worked on the Throwback one or not but I always assumed not for some reason lol.
Well, that was my favorite version. Idk either tbh, maybe Neff-U.

I actually really hate the album version. The auto tune and the spoken word parts, plus the changed bridge lyrics, really all rub me the wrong way.

Well, that was my favorite version. Idk either tbh, maybe Neff-U.

I actually really hate the album version. The auto tune and the spoken word parts, plus the changed bridge lyrics, really all rub me the wrong way.

Yep, cutting lyrics, making the song into a more positive track and re writing the bridge when MJ had already written one himself is shocking to me.

I think Teddy knocked it out of the park across the board with his production, even on the Cassio tracks, but the creative liberties taken on “Hollywood Tonight” are insane. Apparently there’s even a guitar part by David f***ing Williams that hasn’t been used. Like… how?
Rodney Jerkins said MJ would go crazy over the intro and Damien Shields said this version sounds like a song MJ was explicitly working on late in the 2000s, so idk about all that... It's fine to not like it, but MJ would release whatever he vibed to. He had great, eclectic taste in music.
Still curious as to what song this is. I don’t feel strongly one way or the other about the Timbaland remix, but I wonder how they compare.

It’s as though his voice hadn’t really aged at all, in nearly some 30 years’ time between the two versions.
Hello , Yes I agree with you. Really happy that this was included in the project. Also , another stunner- What a Lovely way to Go sounds recent to me, its like one More Chance's baby brother Its not , but it makes you think that way, well i see the Magic of Michael working. 🤭 ✨

I think Teddy knocked it out of the park across the board with his production, even on the Cassio tracks, but the creative liberties taken on “Hollywood Tonight” are insane. Apparently there’s even a guitar part by David f***ing Williams that hasn’t been used. Like… how?
😲

Yep, cutting lyrics, making the song into a more positive track and re writing the bridge when MJ had already written one himself is shocking to me.
And this is why Neff-U's remix is the best version imo. He remixed it and made it sound better than the demo but still kept the dark vibe of the song intact.

Tbh the Throwback mix would be my favorite version, it's both a mix of the demo and the album remix but the problem is the goddamn Billie Jean drums, they are WAAAY overdone on the remix and it's what ruins it for me lmao.

Last edited:
And this is why Neff-U's remix is the best version imo. He remixed it and made it sound better than the demo but still kept the dark vibe of the song intact.

Tbh the Throwback mix would be my favorite version, it's both a mix of the demo and the album remix but the problem is the goddamn Billie Jean drums, they are WAAAY overdone on the remix and it's what ruins it for me lmao.
You mean the one that leaked? Yeah I like that version. Just wish all the guitar wasn't turned down so you can barely hear it, probably was done that way intentionally though.

I liked Teddy's drums better — Michael Prince said the demo drums were weaker so he snuck billliejean drums in at -20db or something into the demo in 2010 before turning it over to Teddy and NeffU. I think Teddy ended up keeping them in there.

Hello. Yes, I agree with you. Really happy that this was included in the project. Also, another stunner —— “What a Lovely Way to Go” —— sounds recent to me; It’s like “One More Chance’s” baby brother. It’s not, but it makes you think that way. Well, I see the ‘Magic of Michael’ working. 🤭 ✨
@wendijane, I have ALWAYS believed that Michael had a very uniquely “young”-sounding, “androgynous” light voice for someone of his age after he went through puberty —— whether he sang lyrics or spoke words, as none of that really matters, anyway —— that would have been extremely difficult to classify according to such natural physical aspects as “Gender” and “Age”/“Stage of Life,” IF someone who had never heard his voice before really didn’t know who he was (nor could ever quite figure out whether the voice one heard was that of a Male, a Female, a young child, a teenager going through puberty/adolescence, or a fully-grown adult of either one of the two genders), had absolutely NO idea what he sounded like, and had heard him speak and sing for THE very first time in his/her/“their” whole entire life.

We who grew up watching and listening to him and his brothers over the course of some 40 years, and who very well KNOW of his having existed, O.T.O.H., would automatically recognize his voice when we hear it, even though we have to fully acknowledge —— and, have to honestly admit —— that there were and are still some obvious aspects of his voice, appearance, behavior, etc., that we even find not necessarily fitting into ancient, long-held, old-fashioned “machismo” stereotypes. There was nothing “wrong” with him, simply for his having been the way he was. From the age of about ten or 11 to nearly almost 51, he had a stunningly BEAUTIFUL singing-voice that wasn’t “fake” nor “phony” at all, but was completely honest, GENUINE and REAL.

I liked Teddy's drums better — Michael Prince said the demo drums were weaker so he snuck billliejean drums in at -20db or something into the demo in 2010 before turning it over to Teddy and NeffU. I think Teddy ended up keeping them in there.
I always felt like the drums on the demo was supposed to give you a feeling of deja-vu, as if you've heard it from somewhere but you're not sure where or if it's to be reminiscent of it. Meanwhile the drums on the Throwback mix are very "in your face" about it and that's why I dislike it so much lol.

Teddys mix of HT is the best for me.
no cheap BJ ripoff and much fuller vocals.
The bridge should have been different though.

On the Throwback Mix MJ sounds like he was ill and this BJ beat was cringe. They thought this song needs a BJ beat to be successful. lol.

Back