Blood on the Dance Floor did not belong on Dangerous.

But also it wasn't released on Dangerous, so why worry about this?
It was deliberated by MJ a long time ago and it was brought to our attention not too recently, thanks to the Brad Sunderberg Leaks.

A lot of people wanted the song, saying it would've been made Dangerous better. To me, it would've taken away from the impact of the title track and ruined the overall flow.

I thought it'd be interesting enough to talk about. But sorry, let's just go back to Invincible

A lot of people wanted the song, saying it would've been made Dangerous better. To me, it would've taken away from the impact of the title track and ruined the overall flow.

I agree with that, I'm not sure what other song it would have replaced, and the topic would have been redundant with the dangerous girl.

(And maybe people would have concluded MJ had women-paranoia or something.)

I thought it'd be interesting enough to talk about. But sorry, let's just go back to Invincible
Yeah, sorry, I was a being a be sarcastic. Maybe BOTDF on Invincible would have made it better ?

I agree with that, I'm not sure what other song it would have replaced, and the topic would have been redundant with the dangerous girl.

(And maybe people would have concluded MJ had women-paranoia or something.)

Yeah, sorry, I was a being a be sarcastic. Maybe BOTDF on Invincible would have made it better ?
I think it was Blood on the Dance Floor and Someone Put Your Hand Out in place of Will You Be There and Give in To Me lol. Which is a crazy versus actually. Somebody should make that a poll.

If there's any song that should've been on Invincible, maybe just Hollywood Tonight.

Agreed, it wouldn't have worked sonically anyways if placed on Dangerous. It was great already in the album era and timeframe it was released maybe being placed on a full album instead of a remix album with the other vaulted but it works the way it is.

Probably not, although we don't know if they would have changed the sound up a bit to make it fit more had it been considered for longer. It think it fits fine amongst the other tracks he decided to put on the EP though so I think the way it happened is best.

Last edited:
The 'Blood On The Dance Floor' song was not included on the 'Dangerous' album simply because it was not finished at that time (mainly in terms of vocals):

"There were still some vocal parts missing" (Teddy Riley)

That is also why, Michael Jackson entered the studio in 1997 in order to record those vocal missing parts so as the song to get a release later in that year.

It got him his last number one in the UK, and helped made for a sensational "EP" so I think the righ choice was made! Same can be said for They Dont Care About Us, Earth Song and Ghosts. (And most CERTAINLY Superfly Sister.)

All is as it should be. The Dangerous writing/recording period was such an artistic high-point for MJ (second only to the Hayvenshurst sessions for Bad) that thankfully he spread it across the decade.

Not too sure , it was clearly a banger of a tune regardless . If it was on Dangerous it would have made that album even more iconic. HoweverI do see the point that there can be "too many cooks for the broth" so , it could have made History even more dissapointing despite the fact that it too had some good hits however hindsight is always a mystery eh

I'd love to know what the Dangerous version sounds like and how differs from the released one. I love Blood On The Dance Floor
The 1997 released version of the 'Blood On The Dance Floor' song has "some more music and percussion" (along with the full vocals), according to people who worked on that song.

Probably not, although we don't know if they would have changed the sound up a bit to make it fit more had it been considered for longer. It think it fits fine amongst the other tracks he decided to put on the EP though so I think the way it happened is best.
Sonically it fits fine. My reasoning is lyrically and thematically it's redundant.

Dangerous spends a lotta time talking about being dangerous, but the title track emphasizes that the girl was Dangerous. Spiritually so anyway. Another song about her being dangerous, physically and literally dangerous, to me that would undercut that punch of the final song.

You could say if all the songs group together, either in theme or sonically, that BOTDF would fit in at track 13 on the record

S

Someone could playlist it and see if they flow
it works

01) Jam
02) Why You Wanna Trip On Me
03) In The Closet
04) She Drives Me Wild
05) Remember The Time
06) Can't Let Her Get Away
07) Someone Put Your Hand Out
08) Black Or White
09) Who Is It
10) Will You Be There
11) Gone Too Soon
12) Heal The World
13) Blood On The Dance Floor
14) Dangerous

I'd say it was a better song than Dangerous.

Musically, I'd put it early on the album, like 3 or 4. It's a very similar sound/groove to Who Is It, Why You Wanna Trip On Me and one or two others, though.

it works

01) Jam
02) Why You Wanna Trip On Me
03) In The Closet
04) She Drives Me Wild
05) Remember The Time
06) Can't Let Her Get Away
07) Someone Put Your Hand Out
08) Black Or White
09) Who Is It
10) Will You Be There
11) Gone Too Soon
12) Heal The World
13) Blood On The Dance Floor
14) Dangerous
Some things about this I just don't like. I'll try to explain.

Can't Let Her Get Away to Someone Put Your Hand Out is, good, but CLHGA to Heal The World, long intro and all, is actually perfect. And that leads into Black or White excellently as well.

Meanwhile, 10, 11, and 12 is so redundant I can imagine it being hard to sit through. That's the same problem people had with Invincible's tracklisting. Keep the Faith is a lot more propulsive, it is better than it's given credit for and really keeps the momentum of that B Side for the setlist going.

No Give in to Me is a huge loss.

And then, idk, I can't see Dangerous following up BOTDF. It's essentially like you had your finale and then you just gotta sit through another one. Dangerous at the end of the 3 ballads makes the record just blast off to the end. And basically compels you to start the record over again; it's like a loop. 2 uptempos at the end leaves you, satisfied basically. That's assuming you listen to the whole CD. But that's the point of talking about this, otherwise the whole album tracklisting doesn't matter anyway.

Sonically it fits fine. My reasoning is lyrically and thematically it's redundant.

Dangerous spends a lotta time talking about being dangerous, but the title track emphasizes that the girl was Dangerous. Spiritually so anyway. Another song about her being dangerous, physically and literally dangerous, to me that would undercut that punch of the final song.
I was going to say the same thing…production wise it fits but lyrically it doesn’t.

It’s like TWYMMF and SW being on the same album.

In no order, this is how I see Dangerous if it was called Blood on the Dance Floor

Jam
She Got It
Serious Effect
Blood on the Dace Floor
Someone Put Your Hand Out
Why You Wanna Trip on Me
Monkey Business
Who Is It
Can't Let Her Get Away
Superfly Sister
In the Closet
Give In to Me
Remember the Time

That's a solid list I believe.

If you take out Gone Too Soon, Heal the World, Keep the Faith, Can't Let Her Get Away, Why You Wanna Trip On Me, and then put in BOTDF, Monkey Business, Superfly Sister, She Got It, Work That Body, then it would make sense.

But the way things ended up is perfect. Because the BOTDF EP thematically sounds very different from Dangerous. And those sounds are from the same sessions.

I would have loved Blood On The Dance Floor on Dangerous. I love that track, it should have been on a proper album... not a remix album.

Back