Hot topic Brad Sundberg Seminars: Making Music With Michael Jackson

Re: Brad Sundberg seminars: Making Music With Michael Jackson

if you want to know what music Brad plays at the Seminars, you need to go to them yourself. He has gotten into trouble before when fans shared online. Fans who go understand the value of what he shares and know that he can only continue because those who go respect his wishes about not sharing online.

Latest from Brad: Currently planned 2018 dates / locations:

In The Studio is coming to town!!

Jan 13 - Orlando

Jan 26/27 - Nashville

Feb 23/24 - London

Mar 16/17 - Toronto

Apr 20/21 - Dublin

May 17 - Osaka

May 19/20 - Tokyo

June 23/34/25 - LA

July 13/14 - Amsterdam

July 17 - Copenhagen (Tuesday)

July 20/21 - Stockholm

Aug 29/30/31 - Moscow

Sept 21/22 - London

Oct 10/11 - Cologne

Oct 12/13 - Frankfurt

Nov 2/3 - Edmonton

Dec 7/8 - New York

Jan 2019 - Australia (Cities TBD)

https://www.facebook.com/inthestudiowithmj/?ref=br_tf

This is great! I requested that he do Nashville and he's gonna do it! Can't wait!

if you want to know what music Brad plays at the Seminars, you need to go to them yourself. He has gotten into trouble before when fans shared online. Fans who go understand the value of what he shares and know that he can only continue because those who go respect his wishes about not sharing online.

I do think it would be wrong to record his stuff, but can't people even describe what they hear? That would be interesting, since not everyone can go to these seminars mostly due to geographical reasons.

I do think it would be wrong to record his stuff, but can't people even describe what they hear? That would be interesting, since not everyone can go to these seminars mostly due to geographical reasons.

When he started first, fans did write online and describe what they hear and thats what got him into trouble. He specifically says this at the start of the seminar, and asks fans if they do write online , not to really describe what they hear. Fans are more than welcome to say how they feel but not what they hear. Its a small sacrifice , to protect these seminars and allow him to continue and go to so many places and give as many fans as possible the chance to go.

This is my blog post about the first Dublin seminars in Dublin in October 2016 http://home.mjjstreet.com/blog/brad-sundberg-in-the-studio-with-mj-dublin/

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/MJJLegion?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MJJLegion</a> Help spread the word so no <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MJFam?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#MJFam</a> missed out. Tickets for ALL seminars now on sale. Visit <a href="https://t.co/UI6PYuRQqn">https://t.co/UI6PYuRQqn</a> for more <a href="https://t.co/iPoANwpBZH">pic.twitter.com/iPoANwpBZH</a></p>&mdash; Brad Sundberg (@InStudioWithMJ) <a href="https://twitter.com/InStudioWithMJ/status/948300339781951488?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">2. Januar 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Plz dont say that no one is allowed to share what they heared there!! I am in INDIA and those seminars are not happening here....... atleast just share about the songs and demo and their stories..... plz..... i am a big fan of MJ..... my only hope would be next album or any online leak..... so plz share those stories and also about the wonderful songs....... this would be great

!!! IT'S ALL FOR LOVE !!!

Plz dont say that no one is allowed to share what they heared there!! I am in INDIA and those seminars are not happening here....... atleast just share about the songs and demo and their stories..... plz..... i am a big fan of MJ..... my only hope would be next album or any online leak..... so plz share those stories and also about the wonderful songs....... this would be great

!!! IT'S ALL FOR LOVE !!!

The best recommendation is to read from p1 of this thread, onwards...... Brad also shares many of his stories and pictures on his 'In The Studio with MJ' Facebook page.

Have you suggested a location in India to Brad?

Latest from Brad:

It's cold outside, but it's warm In The Studio...

Greetings Studio Rats!! I hope 2018 is treating you well so far.

The past couple weeks we have been editing and fine-tuning the seminar like never before. Today we were working on some of the transitions and I stumbled across a mix that I hadn't heard in years - seriously. I sat and listened to it a couple times, and just for a moment I was back at Record One in the early 90's, listening to it for the first time.

It's funny sometimes when I look at one of our production calendars from those projects and see just how fast we worked, and how hard we would push Michael towards the end of a project. He was a notorious procrastinator when it came to finishing writing the lyrics, and singing the final vocals. We were always against the absolute deadline that CBS/Sony would give us, with Michael singing almost at the same time Bruce was mixing! Song after song - the pressure was real for everyone.

I have tried to explain this in my seminars, but you almost can't imagine how exhausting those last few weeks are on one of Michael's projects. There are 168 hours in a week, and I clearly remember turning in my timesheet with more than 110 hours in a week on several occasions. You get so tired that your body is almost numb. You don't know whether to laugh or cry, you just keep going. Even in final days of mixing, when we all looked like death-warmed-over, I don't remember any snippy words or arguing, we knew we were working on something incredible, and adrenaline just sort of took over. How can you be angry when you are getting paid to work on songs like "Give In To Me", "Will You Be There" and "In The Closet"? Song after song, hour after hour, lead vocal after lead vocal. If Michael can do it, so can I.

I was talking with Matt Forger last night and we once again said how the guys in those productions are still friends - 20+ years later. We all have our own lives, some in the industry, some not, but we were part of something remarkable - and we don't take that for granted.

Michael would have been 60 this year.

There are no more lead vocals to record.
No late nights wondering how he is still able to stand.
No more raiding the fridge for a 2am bowl of Katherine and Laura's Banana Puddin'.
The songs are mixed, the microphones are put away, the studio is dark.

It's days like this when I find a mix and listen to it - intently - it's like a hug from an old friend.

I can't bring you back to the Hit Factory in New York in 1994, but I show you what it was like.

I can't bring you back to Record One in Sherman Oaks in 1990, but I can take you deep into many of those songs.

I can't bring you back to Westlake in Hollywood in 1986, but I can give you glimpse of what life in the studio was like.

Music is funny sometimes. It picks you up and takes you somewhere in time, in your memory, in your imagination.

I hear a few notes and I can taste banana puddin'.
I hear Michael's voice and I am momentarily back in a warm studio, like a kid in a candy store, watching guys like Steve Porcaro or Brad Buxer create - music.
I hear the jokes in my head, I see Bruce add just a pinch of EQ that most people could never detect, yet the song gets ever stronger.
It's all right there - in my mind - waiting for a musical trigger to release those beautiful memories.

I was listening to Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" album (vinyl) earlier today on an amazing pair of speakers with one of my daughters. I was explaining to her that this album was incredibly popular when I was growing up, and it was one of many that pulled into the recording industry. As we were talking the acoustic guitar strings of Gold Dust Woman started to play. I stopped talking and just listened. The mixing of that record - the soundscape - is so rich it reaches outside of the speakers and wraps around you.

Well did she make you cry
Make you break down
Shatter your illusions of love
And is it over now
Do you know how
Pick up the pieces and go home

One week from now I'll presenting "In The Studio With MJ 2018". I'm excited and nervous - but mostly excited.

I want my events to reflect - in some small way - the pursuit of perfection and creativity that Michael strove for.

He was an artist, but also a great guy.
I miss him, but if I can give you a glimpse into the Studio, into his humor and talent - I've done my job.

I hope you will consider joining me in Orlando next weekend, followed by Nashville and host of other amazing cities.

It's cold outside, but it's warm In The Studio.
Will You Be There?

Tickets on sale now

https://ticketbud.com/events/search?utf8=✓&when=all&category=All&search=MJ&button=&[sort]=

myosotis;4214682 said:
Latest from Brad:

It's cold outside, but it's warm In The Studio...

Greetings Studio Rats!! I hope 2018 is treating you well so far.

The past couple weeks we have been editing and fine-tuning the seminar like never before. Today we were working on some of the transitions and I stumbled across a mix that I hadn't heard in years - seriously. I sat and listened to it a couple times, and just for a moment I was back at Record One in the early 90's, listening to it for the first time.

It's funny sometimes when I look at one of our production calendars from those projects and see just how fast we worked, and how hard we would push Michael towards the end of a project. He was a notorious procrastinator when it came to finishing writing the lyrics, and singing the final vocals. We were always against the absolute deadline that CBS/Sony would give us, with Michael singing almost at the same time Bruce was mixing! Song after song - the pressure was real for everyone.

I have tried to explain this in my seminars, but you almost can't imagine how exhausting those last few weeks are on one of Michael's projects. There are 168 hours in a week, and I clearly remember turning in my timesheet with more than 110 hours in a week on several occasions. You get so tired that your body is almost numb. You don't know whether to laugh or cry, you just keep going. Even in final days of mixing, when we all looked like death-warmed-over, I don't remember any snippy words or arguing, we knew we were working on something incredible, and adrenaline just sort of took over. How can you be angry when you are getting paid to work on songs like "Give In To Me", "Will You Be There" and "In The Closet"? Song after song, hour after hour, lead vocal after lead vocal. If Michael can do it, so can I.

I was talking with Matt Forger last night and we once again said how the guys in those productions are still friends - 20+ years later. We all have our own lives, some in the industry, some not, but we were part of something remarkable - and we don't take that for granted.

Michael would have been 60 this year.

There are no more lead vocals to record.
No late nights wondering how he is still able to stand.
No more raiding the fridge for a 2am bowl of Katherine and Laura's Banana Puddin'.
The songs are mixed, the microphones are put away, the studio is dark.

It's days like this when I find a mix and listen to it - intently - it's like a hug from an old friend.

I can't bring you back to the Hit Factory in New York in 1994, but I show you what it was like.

I can't bring you back to Record One in Sherman Oaks in 1990, but I can take you deep into many of those songs.

I can't bring you back to Westlake in Hollywood in 1986, but I can give you glimpse of what life in the studio was like.

Music is funny sometimes. It picks you up and takes you somewhere in time, in your memory, in your imagination.

I hear a few notes and I can taste banana puddin'.
I hear Michael's voice and I am momentarily back in a warm studio, like a kid in a candy store, watching guys like Steve Porcaro or Brad Buxer create - music.
I hear the jokes in my head, I see Bruce add just a pinch of EQ that most people could never detect, yet the song gets ever stronger.
It's all right there - in my mind - waiting for a musical trigger to release those beautiful memories.

I was listening to Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" album (vinyl) earlier today on an amazing pair of speakers with one of my daughters. I was explaining to her that this album was incredibly popular when I was growing up, and it was one of many that pulled into the recording industry. As we were talking the acoustic guitar strings of Gold Dust Woman started to play. I stopped talking and just listened. The mixing of that record - the soundscape - is so rich it reaches outside of the speakers and wraps around you.

Well did she make you cry
Make you break down
Shatter your illusions of love
And is it over now
Do you know how
Pick up the pieces and go home

One week from now I'll presenting "In The Studio With MJ 2018". I'm excited and nervous - but mostly excited.

I want my events to reflect - in some small way - the pursuit of perfection and creativity that Michael strove for.

He was an artist, but also a great guy.
I miss him, but if I can give you a glimpse into the Studio, into his humor and talent - I've done my job.

I hope you will consider joining me in Orlando next weekend, followed by Nashville and host of other amazing cities.

It's cold outside, but it's warm In The Studio.
Will You Be There?

Tickets on sale now

https://ticketbud.com/events/search?utf8=✓&when=all&category=All&search=MJ&button=&[sort]=

Omg! He is coming to Amsterdam in July! I want to go, but it’s soooo expensive!

Latest from Brad:

Your Attention Please...
Your Attention Please...

Orlando - what a great weekend!! KDS Studios was a great venue, the sound was on-point, and our guests were fantastic! It's nice when everything comes together.

KDS has a pretty cool history in Orlando as it was home to the "Boy Bands" like N'Sync and Backstreet Boys. I am told that Eminem also spent a lot of time at KDS. (Now do you get the intro?)

I previewed several new segments for the 2018 shows, and the response was very positive. As always, I am grateful to you studio rats for hanging out with me, digging into these songs and stories.

Now - I have some very exciting news for our Nashville event: We have secured Southern Grounds Studio - owned by Zak Brown! This is a legit facility with a rich history in music, and I so excited to bring my seminar, Tour of Neverland and The Remix to their beautiful facility!

Just after that we hop across the pond for a weekend in London at Fiction Studios. It's going to be a very busy February.

I have added an entire segment on the song "You Are Not Alone". I can't say too much, but even as I was building this I was blown away by how much work and transformation that song went through. I previewed with my Orlando guests this weekend and I think they really liked it.

One of the things that always strikes me when I present my seminar is how willing Michael was to take chances, to push the limits and try new things. As we are now celebrating what would have been his 60th birthday year, I want to give my guests a blend of the stories they know and appreciate along with some new ideas - digging a bit deeper into Michael's catalog. I think you will be pleased with the result.

Have a great week, and I hope to see you In The Studio in 2018!

Hey guys! I plan to go to Brad's seminar in Nashville in February. Do you guys have any questions you would like me to ask? I've already come up with some of my own. I'll try to ask as many as I can remember because I don't think I'll be able to take my phone inside.

Hey guys! I plan to go to Brad's seminar in Nashville in February. Do you guys have any questions you would like me to ask? I've already come up with some of my own. I'll try to ask as many as I can remember because I don't think I'll be able to take my phone inside.

That's so exciting :)!! It's a simple question but I wanted to know if Brad knows what Quincy's impression was of the Dangerous album? Thanks!

Brad Sundberg seminars: Making Music With Michael Jackson

That's so exciting :)!! It's a simple question but I wanted to know if Brad knows what Quincy's impression was of the Dangerous album? Thanks!

Quincy thought it was a very good album and production by Teddy ? I even read something like "masterpiece". his favorite song of dangerous is Remember The Time.

At least that's what I read everywhere ?

Firstly thank you for thinking of everyone else, that's really nice.

What was Michael's favourite song of the Bad album?
Did Brad ever see Michael write a song in the studio?
What's Brad's favourite unreleased song?

Don't worry if you can't remember the questions, just thought I'd throw in some ideas

Latest from Brad:

Nashville.

I've talked about this in some of my seminars, but some cities have a "sound". Speaking in very broad terms, musicians and engineers from LA have a different feel and approach than their NY counterparts. I swear this is true - a few of us in the studio used to listen to CDs and try to figure out where they were mixed before we read the liner notes. NY records - particularly if they have a horn section - sound like NY. Would anyone ever think an Eagles or Fleetwood album was mixed at Power Station in NY? Not hardly, they sound of pure LA.

Then there was Nashville.

There were always these "stories" about what sessions were like in Nashville. Real drums. Real musicians. 3-hour time blocks. Old pros. Young prodigies. Historic studios.

I had always heard about "Music Row", but I had never stepped foot in a studio there. I've been in studios from Tokyo to Stockholm, Berlin to Perth - but never in Nashville. At least not until now.

And if we are going to bring my seminar to Nashville - why not go right to Zak Brown's own Southern Ground Studio?

There is a mystique and history in all studios, but this one - am told - has a long heritage.

I remember the first time I walked through the "old" Hit Factory in New York - now long gone. This was where Paul Simon, Stevie Wonder and John Lennon worked and created. The walls almost wanted to talk, to tell those stories - and you could feel it.

Now we are entering a studio where names like Tillis, Allman, Gatlin, Frampton, Clapton and Shelton are all found in the guest book. Roger Miller, Vince Gil and Willie Nelson have all spent time at Southern Ground. I am not a country aficionado, but names like that command tremendous respect. Yes - I'm excited. To be a fly on the wall for some of those sessions...

So it is with great pride that I will be hosting "In The Studio With MJ" at Southern Ground on Feb 17th, 2018.

You know Michael Jackson, but do you really know what it was like to work with him?

I first met Michael in 1984, during a project called "Captain EO". Little did I know back then that over the next 18 years I would spend countless hours with him working on projects like "Bad", "Dangerous" and "HIStory".

Dance mixes.

Video shoots.

Special projects.

Tour preparations.

Neverland Valley Ranch.

He was my boss.

He was my client.

He was like no one I have met.

His name is Michael Jackson, and I'd like to introduce you to him.

<><><><><>

Getting curious?

Let me share a few words from my friend Joe Vogel:

&#8221;Brad&#8217;s seminars offer a fascinating, eye (and ear)-opening experience, in which genuine insights about Michael Jackson as an artist, a person and a friend, are revealed. I thoroughly enjoyed the warm, conversational approach and the deep well of materials. There were several goosebump moments. Brad puts you right there, inside the studio in those eras, and shows how the magic was made. I couldn&#8217;t recommend it more to both fans of Jackson and anyone who cares about music.&#8221;

JOSEPH VOGEL

AUTHOR OF MAN IN THE MUSIC: THE CREATIVE LIFE AND WORK OF MICHAEL JACKSON

<><><><><>

In The Studio With MJ is coming to Nashville for the first time on Feb 17th, 2018.

I know you'd "expect" me to say this, but the 2018 seminar is bigger and better than ever - with some great new segments that you are going to love. I am so excited to share it with you!

Hear things you have never heard.
See things you have never seen.
Learn things you never know.

Tickets on sale now - https://tinyurl.com/ybyv65oh

Will You Be There?

Nashville today!! Any last minute questions??

I really would love to know which songs nearly made Dangerous besides of Monkey Business, Earth Song and If You Don't Love Me. So maybe you could ask him about the favorite board on which Michael listed all the songs that could make the album. Maybe he could give some details. Did Michael have a favorite on that list that didn't make it?

And a question that he probably can't answer but I think nearly all of us want to know if there's a complete version of Men In Black vocally.

If you get to ask something of that or could give us information about the things other people asked or you wanted to know I would be really thankful!!
Thanks in advance!!

Or there's a list that Shana Mantganal published from a Dangerous album listening with the songs Get Up, Lying To Myself, Men In Black and If You Don't Love Meare included. I know that two of them are Jam and Who Is It .

But I would love to know when this listening event took place. I mean at this point it was the Dangerous tracklist. Where the other songs that were not included on that tracklist already recorded or did he change his mind about including them?

Thanks for even asking us about questions you may ask it you are also interested in the same things

Here's a link to that tracklist she posted:

Dangerous: Earlier version of the album tracklist

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...om/forum/showthread.php?t=141328&share_type=t

Ok, I'll make sure it's ok for me to relay the info because I know some people can't make it to the events. I'm just so happy that he came to Nashville after I asked him to! I'll try to make a mental note of some of the questions if no notes are allowed.

Thank you again for thinking of the fans who couldn't get to a seminar. It's super thoughful

Ok, I'll make sure it's ok for me to relay the info because I know some people can't make it to the events. I'm just so happy that he came to Nashville after I asked him to! I'll try to make a mental note of some of the questions if no notes are allowed.

Yes thank you so much for thinking about us! And have fun!! Enjoy the seminar!

Please ask if there will be any more seminars in Nashville this year or next year. I wanted to go today but was not able to make it.

Please ask about "Shut Up And Dance".
Did Michael record any vocals for it ?

How was it? Did you find out many new things?

Latest from Brad:

Track Sheets, Multitracks and Vaults

Have you ever talked to someone in the military or law enforcement, and they sort of have their own language? They have numbers and abbreviations for various phrases and such. Many of them are not exactly family-friendly so I'll spare you examples, by my point is that Studio Rats also have a language of their own - albeit not nearly as comprehensive as the military.

I have often jumped into a story in a seminar or lecture and assumed that my guests know what a track is, or a track sheet, or a multitrack. Then someone might bravely raise their hand and ask me to define those terms - which I am always happy to do. So, let's go to basic studio school for a bit if you are interested. (If you only came here to find out if Michael put hot sauce on his popcorn, the answer is yes.)

I could go into a very long explanation about the history of multitrack recording, what with Les Paul and Mary Ford being early pioneers, but I quickly discovered that good old Wikipedia does a pretty decent job of explaining the history. https://en.wikipedia.org/wi&#8230;/History_of_multitrack_recording

Two quick comments: First, if you glance at the article you might read that Patty Page recorded a song in 1947 called "Confess", which was the first vocal-on-vocal recording, ever. Bill Putnam was her engineer, and who do you suppose Bill mentored later in his career? No other than a young Bruce Swedien - who of course was Michael's engineer from The Wiz on! How cool is that? Bruce - a pioneer in his own right - learned his craft from the guy that recorded the first multirack vocal-on-vocal! Next - and stay with me on this - you can't imagine how crucial having multiple tracks to record on has been to the artists and records you love. Not to disrespect Michael in the least, but Liberian Girl without the ability to stack vocals would be a pretty one-dimensional song.

So - what is a track?

A track is a single recording, from a single human voice to a full orchestra - whatever the engineer wants it to be. For example, if I were to record a drum kit, I might put microphones on the snare, the high-hat, the kick drum, each of the toms (let's assume there are four), then two over the drummer's head for the cymbals, and two further back in the room for the "room sound" of the drums. By my count that's 11 mics (big drum sessions often use quite a few more) - so you would record those to 11 "tracks".

How to keep track of all of these tracks (before the days of tapeless recording)? The Track Sheet! Now, when you play those track back into a console, each fader on the console controls the volume for each track. So, if i were playing the tape for the song Dangerous (as shown), and wanted to hear more strings, I would push up faders 21 and 22. Notice how the drums have been submixed down to just two tracks on 15 and 16? That's so the engineer can have a nice mix ready to go for the singer - who on this particular session is Michael Jackson. Notice how we are recording Michael on tracks 1-6? He is recording various "takes" of his vocal on those tracks, then we will compile those takes onto one track - called a "comp" mix - but we'll dig deeper into that on another post.

During MJ albums we burned through a lot of tracks. Like... thousands. And these tracks filled a lot of multitrack tapes. Like... hundreds. And keeping track of all of these tracks, track sheets and tapes took the organizational skills of a school librarian. That was part of the job.

All of these tapes were stored in tape vaults in the studios, and typically only a very few people would have the keys to those vaults. Then, to make it even more complicated - as the projects got larger and larger, Michael would be working in 2, then 5, then 9, then (during the HIStory project) as many as 14 studios at once. And he would need specific tapes in each of those studios. This was before you could "send a file" over the internet - we actually had to deliver the tapes! Sometimes by car, sometimes by FedEx, sometimes hand-carried on flights.

When we moved the HIStory project from New York to LA for mixing, we hired a 53' semi-truck to move us from Hit Factory to Record One, and (to the best of my memory), not a single tape or track sheet was lost. It as a logistical nightmare and masterpiece all at the same time!

All this because Les Paul and Mary Ford, then Bill Putnam and Patty Page, discovered how to create beautiful music by using more than one track. Michael and the team took that to a whole new level with some songs filling more than 200 tracks and scores of tapes!

So the next time I start using phrases or studio terms that you don't fully understand, please don't hesitate to let me know. In the meantime - go listen to "Liberian Girl", where you are hearing Michael stack his background vocals 16 times! THAT... is how good multitrack recording can sound.

We're coming to Nashville this weekend, and London the following!

The following weekend (Sat 24th Feb) we arrive at Fiction Studios in London - one of my favorite little spaces!
Tickets still available.

Hear things you have never heard.
See things you have never seen.
Learn things you never knew.

Will You Be There?

Tickets on sale now - https://tinyurl.com/ybyv65oh

www.inthestudiowithmj.com

Last edited:

Lil Ced, can you tell us anything about the Nashville seminar?

Back