Branca: Unreleased Music Unlikely in the Foreseeable Future

For the ones who are complaining & have been complaining since the Estate took over or even before (justified or unjustified), just a short recap of what's happened since 2009 regarding legitimate previously unreleased MJ Music:

Since 2009 the MJ Estate released 21 previously unreleased Songs.

This Is It
Hold My Hand
Another Day
Hollywood Tonight
Best Of Joy
Behind The Mask
Much Too Soon
Messin' Around
I'm So Blue
Free
Price Of Fame
Abortion Papers
Al Capone
Love Never Felt So Good
A Place With No Name
Loving You
Chicago
Xscape
Slave To The Rhythm
Blue Gangster
Do You Know Where Your Children Are

Plus we got the Barry Gibb Song, an unreleased version of Say Say Say & Queen Feat.MJ There Must Be More To Life.

That's easily 2 Albums full of new material in 8 Years...

As i read in another thread many don't even really know / or simply don't listen to the 6 previously unknown & real songs from the MICHAEL Album.
I'd recommend to those of you, to listen to them. As they are superb MJ songs, which i wouldn't wanna miss in his catalogue anymore.

The music business is changing. And new MJ songs can not be made, as the creator isn't here to do it. So there is a finite number of tracks left.
I'd want them to release the remaining songs in a modern way & unique way not in the way the business was until now.
They should think of something new & exciting, maybe even philanthropic.

Some of the fans have been calling for a collectors label the last years already, maybe the future of MJ unreleased stuff is there.
But bare in mind: 'Collectors' & 'rare' often comes with PRICEY. So i can see complaining in the future again...

Last edited:
"We have some incredibly exciting projects coming up in 2017, although we probably will not continue to release unreleased music."

Also this is a contradiction of terms really, I mean think about it. The way in which this is put across makes it feel like the end a little bit , but in the same sentence he says that "we have some incredibly exciting projects coming up". I realise Michael only recorded a set amount of songs and he only performed a set amount of shows, with that being said, how many times can you rerelease Thriller as something new?

I hope this is a huge misdirect on Branca's part (which would be very MJ to say the least) but I fear it's not. I don't want to seem ungrateful for all we've received from Michael and his estate, I truly am but I didn't see this coming. I understand to make yourself and your position stronger you must leave to have people to desire more, but this is tough to swallow.

I tend to agree with you, it is sad.
But hardcore fans want new material, whether it's music or videos. They want archive footage, rehearsal footage, unfinished demo's etc...

As Branca outline in his interview, when conducting the estate they want to keep on growing the fan base by gathering new fans.
In that aspect, nothing will work any better than showing the world what catched our attention in the first place back at the time.
So a new thriller release is clearly not to be considered as something new. It is something that will gather new fans discovering how fantastic Michael was.

Best example for me to see is my 4 years old son. I listen and watch Michael a lot at home, in the car.....and so does he and so do we together.
But guess what's his favorite short film ? Thriller no doubt. Then Ghost.
What's his favorite performance ? Billie Jean no doubt. Then Beat It...or Bad.

All of them are iconic Michael's music, film, dance moves or outfits. And the trick still work the very same than it worked on us 20 or 30 years ago.
This is magic....he just gets mad when he sees the hat, gloves, moonwalk, the thriller werewolf or zombies. He recently asked me to teach him how to make a fingersnap.....no doubt where this is coming from.

So I am not necessarily happy to say it, but I think the estate are well conducting their business. Because it is what it is.....a business. Nothing else.
The only true alternative to me would be a collector label through which they could release something different than in mainstream media.

Is next year the last year of the Sony-Contract?

I don't think this is necessarily bad news. The market is over saturated with MJ, so much so I'd say people are starting to not care anymore. A break is what's needed, I'd even go as far to say that they should stop all projects for a long time, then come back when people are starting to want more MJ material again.

We have some incredibly exciting projects coming up in 2017, although we probably will not continue to release unreleased Music.

Isn`t this sentence just related to 2017. He is not speaking about 2018.

It's not worded exactly or definitely.
It could mean: We PROBABLY will not release new music from now on. (which would be my best guess)
Or: We PROBABLY will not release new music after the 2017 projects.

But in either way he say's PROBABLY. So it's not set in stone.

Is next year the last year of the Sony-Contract?

Yes. the Sony contract we know of, ends in 2017. But they could have extended it without much fanfare, so we don't know about it.

Damn, they are lucky to be the head of the Estate. Otherwise it would be easier to fire Branca & McClain. I'm sorry, but they don't listen to fans AT ALL. They only think about the money, and not his legacy. I've had it. I won't and can't forgive for what they have done ti Dangerous 25.

Exactly WHICH fans do you expect them to 'listen' to?

Just reading this one thread, there must be half a dozen different ideas of what is 'right'!

I hope one of the exciting releases in 2017 is a concert. Preferably not HIStory Tour concert.

Damn, they are lucky to be the head of the Estate. Otherwise it would be easier to fire Branca & McClain. I'm sorry, but they don't listen to fans AT ALL. They only think about the money, and not his legacy. I've had it. I won't and can't forgive for what they have done ti Dangerous 25.

Wasn't BAD 25 made for the fans? And the original versions of the songs on Xscape were included after fans requested them. So, I wouldn't say they never listen.

For the ones who are complaining & have been complaining since the Estate took over or even before (justified or unjustified), just a short recap of what's happened since 2009 regarding legitimate previously unreleased MJ Music:

Since 2009 the MJ Estate released 21 previously unreleased Songs.

This Is It
Hold My Hand
Another Day
Hollywood Tonight
Best Of Joy
Behind The Mask
Much Too Soon
Messin' Around
I'm So Blue
Free
Price Of Fame
Abortion Papers
Al Capone
Love Never Felt So Good
A Place With No Name
Loving You
Chicago
Xscape
Slave To The Rhythm
Blue Gangster
Do You Know Where Your Children Are
Barry Gibb Song
unreleased version of Say Say Say
Queen Feat.MJ There Must Be More To Life.

That's easily 2 Albums full of new material in 8 Years...

Reading through this list of tracks there's some quality MJ there. If you factor in the leaked tracks you've got an amazing collection. Can anyone off the top of their heads add the unreleased tracks to this?

We also don't know how much Branca is saying this regarding future unheard releases because of the contract with Sony.. Maybe they are literally holding out until after the fact. He is a lawyer in the end of the day and could be plotting post Sony stuff after these next 2 (was it?) projects they have left in contract...

Bad Tour Blu-Ray would be nice.

image.png

I think the Estate should do something for the new Michael Jackson fans who are not begin to listen to his music their need something to call their own. I know the Estate has give us alot so far and i thank them for that but to not release anymore MJ songs that would be sad why keep it in the vault. And i also understand it not new music from Michael because he is not here but to keep those golden nuggets lock up it just would not be fair that imo.

I am sad that nothing was done for Dangerous 25 something should have been done one of my favor what a shame.:(

Surely "Dangerous 25" will be announced soon! Otherwise why did they do the online celebration a month before it was released, eh?!

Surely "Dangerous 25" will be announced soon! Otherwise why did they do the online celebration a month before it was released, eh?!
There is no physical release of Dangerous 25. It does not exist, never did. It's a shame but you need to come to terms with it and move on.

There is no physical release of Dangerous 25. It does not exist, never did. It's a shame but you need to come to terms with it and move on.
He used to do this on the KOP forum. Best to just ignore him

So if there's not gonna be anymore unreleased music, what are they going to release? More concerts? More documentaries? A remake of the Moonwalker video game?

Whatever it is, I'm keeping my expectations low.

If they aren't going to release unreleased music anymore which I doubt because I do think we will get at least one more album of unreleased material but if they aren't planning on releasing any more new songs then we better get some unseen rehearsal footage from This Is It. I want to see rehearsals of Dangerous, SIM, Will You Be There and any other songs that Michael rehearsed that didn't make it to the movie. I've no interest in 3D release of Thriller that they are planning for next year.

I think personally it is two things , this year has been horrible negativity ( even worse than usual ) in the press about MJ , secondly i actually doubt highly there are many more actual "complete" songs , and the vast majority of them are rough demos. Those do NOT sell well unless to hardcore fans. Itl be more re hashed rubbish like that Off the Wall re release . I have always thought that fans of the Beatles and Elvis etc are very lucky with the releases they get. The Estate and family are just vultures and money grabbers.

They can easily put out demos, alternate versions, outtakes, and one offs as compilations similar to Bob Dylan's "Bootleg Series" collections. They don't do huge numbers but are critically acclaimed. If they want to put out releases for the casual market like Xscape or a hits package, at least keep a balance.

If they're not focusing on unreleased music, there's a lot they can still do
-Making Michael Jackson's Thriller on blu ray
-A Bad Tour package
-A Dangerous Tour package
-An improved reworked edition of Vision
-Documentaries on Thriller, Dangerous, and HIStory
-Books
-Projects with the Jacksons (Destiny, Triumph, Victory Tours, Jacksons variety show, reissues of Destiny, Triumph and Victory)
-Ghosts on blu ray and dvd

Things like a MJ convention or museum or exhibit could be possible too

O.k. Wow. Can we just clarify that just because the Estate do not release something that does not equate to it not being of whatever quality or that it does not exist. I feel like I can show you all a stick and put it behind my back and ask, "Is it gone?" and you all will believe it is and then be amazed when I show it again. REALLY?! Michael himself said that he had THOUSANDS of unreleased songs that could be released. There is no secret here. Just those whom are uninformed or intentionally misleading. Also can we clarify the idea and concept of an "unfinished song"? That means everything. Michael never thought a song was EVER finished. So that word, term, and concept is NOT what we think by any stretch of the imagination. Along with the fact that they were able to stop the record company legally from releasing anything as long as the recording had "Demo" on it in some manner. So they slapped that on everything so Epic and or Sony could not just put whatever out. None of this means that the songs are actually incomplete or not of quality. Michael himself said he recorded all of the time. He sure as hell did not spend all of his time recording only demos. Jesus. How asinine. As it is it is also understood on a classic recording such as "Billie Jean" he recorded that mainly in one take. I guarantee you they are sitting on not only a ton of stuff but a shocking amount of stuff...

I think personally it is two things , this year has been horrible negativity ( even worse than usual ) in the press about MJ , secondly i actually doubt highly there are many more actual "complete" songs , and the vast majority of them are rough demos. Those do NOT sell well unless to hardcore fans. Itl be more re hashed rubbish like that Off the Wall re release . I have always thought that fans of the Beatles and Elvis etc are very lucky with the releases they get. The Estate and family are just vultures and money grabbers.

Well, if the situation would be like that, those rough demos & incomplete recordings could still be released in the form of a career/era spanning box set, anthology like release.

BUT, we know, that for the Xscape project, there were 24 songs considered which all fulfilled the standards that LA Reid put in place. So there are at least 16 songs left, which are in a state that they could have ended up on Xcsape, meaning 16 songs complete enough for a release of "new" material.

Additionally we know of the existence of some titles / tracks that should not only be relatively complete but also should be some quality material: Chicago 1945, Man In Black, Can't Get Your Weight Off Of Me, etc.

Last edited:
Pft. Of course they will release more music. But probably gonna space it out more.
Whatever. I'm cool with that. Clearly, the unreleased music that has been released wasn't runaway hits, so they probably are gonna space this out more often.

Hopefully this frees up time to release...oh, i dunno...a Victory Tour...etc.

If they do not release new music.

I hope they release new concerts, and his videos in HD - 4K or Blu-Ray. They should release it in the best quality possible. MJ's art deserves that.

I would be more than happy if they released Thriller and the making of Thriller on Blu-Ray. - Maybe add Ghost to it.

Back in the day it was released as a 2 VHS package wasn't it?? The Legend Continues and The Making of Thriller. - Release it on Blu-ray. :)

Unless The Estate makes a deal with the other Jackson brothers, I doubt that we'll ever get a Jackson's Tour (Destiny, Triumph, Victory) on Blu Ray/DVD. These aren't just Michael Jackson concerts, they're The Jackson's concerts.

It's my theory that there isn't actually anything else left to release. Does anyone else suspect this?

It's my theory that there isn't actually anything else left to release. Does anyone else suspect this?

the well is dry, it's all over, the estate knows this but won't say it

when you have to dig up a demo song Michael Jackson did in 1982, and present that demo as an "never before released song" (Love Never Felt So Good), a song that MJ didn't even think was good enough to release during the time he recorded it, that's a definitive sign as to where things stand.

the last body of new music MJ ever did was Invincible and after that, in his heart, he retired,

The Number Ones released in 2003 was more of a compilation album

and he gave limited vocals for Thriller 25, which many of the remakes of the actual classics did not do service to the actual classics

the estate is not going to come out and say there's nothing else left, we already go the special editions of OTW, Thriller, BAD, and Dangerous that was released in 2001.

it's all over and I'm not trying to be negative, but when MJ said THIS IS IT, that's what that phrase meant. The Final Curtain Call

Back