"Captain EO" Anaheim closing! [Update Pg 4 closing postponed indefinitely]

Re: Oh no... "Captain EO" in Anaheim is closing!

If Anaheim was the only place where it was screened, I'll never have the chance to see Captain Eo as it was meant to be. :(
"Captain EO" is in DisneyLand Paris since 2009 (or 2010?). They say that they will close it to "put" a new attraction "Tron", but i don't know when...

Whats this "honey i shrunk the audeince"????? it sounds fun lol
This "film" was in DisneyLand Paris in 2008 (i thnink), before Captain EO, and it was so.... boring...

captain eo should be included in a new re release of short films package on blu-ray, and a separate stand alone release too.

I did catch it in 1988 and then this past year, Disneyland. Even though it is sad to see the end of something, it will be exciting to see what Disneyland will evolve into with the new additions!

hqdefault.jpg

i saw eo at Disneyland (anaheim) for the first time in 1994 (i was 10)... it blew my mind away.. also saw honey shrunk the audience.. dont remember much about it really except at the end a dog sneezes at the audience and everyone in the audience gets a splash of water (it was actually pretty awesome haha!)...

i saw eo again about 2 weeks after it re-opened in anaheim in feb 2010.. then about 5 more times in the last 12 months (i finally got a annual pass just last year!).. my annual pass however expires on saturday :(

THE GOOD NEWS is that my wife Tiffany and I are going back to Disneyland one last time this coming Wednesday (and Disney Cali Adventure on Thurs) before our passes expire!!!

CAPTAIN EO ONE MORE TIME ON THE BIG SCREEN.... HERE WE COME!!!!

ps - i DEFINITELY co-sign about the eo 3DBluRay/Combo pack being released, especially since i own a 60" LG 3D TV... idk if its likely tho.. but its true that Disney loves to milk every last dollar they can out of projects.. so i DO see it happening sooner than later...

I'm so sad to see it go. I saw it in Anaheim back when MJ was alive decades ago when they had those funky purple 3d glasses that I smuggled out. Tee hee!
Man, what great memories of this little film. UGH! Laughing and giggling in the theater with other MJ fans when we saw Mike and dancing to the ending when APO played at the end.

I agree, I see it in a combo package and I hope they sell the original t-shirts and toys. I'd love to get them. I could kick myself that I didn't get them back in the day when I had the chance. I always had this mindset that MJ would always be here and Captain E.O would forever remain in Disneyland. I still have a picture of me at the park pointing to the Captian.E.O poster. What amazing memories!

Please estate, if you are listening to the fans, can we have a dvd release of Captain Eo and related memorabilia?

The great thing is that now we have the technology to give it a proper 3D release.

Hey, I'm not sure if this has already been confirmed, but today was my last day so I decided to express how sad I was it was closing to one of the staff members. She smiled and said that I needn't worry because they were going to release a DVD version and then gestured to my 3D glasses, saying that I would be able to use a pair of those to watch it.

I was very happy about this but I assume it means Disney has the rights to release it instead of the estate? Since she wouldn't know otherwise.

That cast member at Disney doesn't know anything about if a DVD/blu ray is being released or not.

She also doesn't know how home 3D blu ray works.
You can't use the regular 3-d glasses you get in movie theaters.
They have special ones with an on/off switch.

That's a shame but since there's no real confirmation she couldn't really know.
And, about the glasses, I realised but she probably just meant it'd be in 3D rather than those glasses specifically.

Even so... Would Disney be the ones to release the DVD/blu-ray or the estate? I'm not too sure.

It would probably be a collaborative effort.
But as far as actually producing the dvd, i really, REALLY hope Disney would be doing it (their dvds and blu rays are top notch for the feature films).

We have already seen what happens when the estate produces dvds and blu rays...

Though Disney ownes the rights to the video, they don't own the rights to the music in the movie so they must. Have been in talk with the estate a great deal to put it up in Disney in 2009 or whenever it was. There's already a making of and premiere footage that was aired. So to release a full captain so DVD could work great. Disney could release the DVD and in 2016 release a 30 year anniversary version.. Disney is obsessed with anniversary re releases... So why not!

And fortunately, it's one of the few park attractions that can actually be released on its own (as it doesn't rly on in-house effects and physical things).

I hope the dvd/blu ray main menu uses the walk-in music (I guess what's known as Captain EO theme)

[This "film" was in DisneyLand Paris in 2008 (i thnink), before Captain EO, and it was so.... boring... /QUOTE]

Really? dang it lol

Captain EO and the Magic Eye Theater – It looks like Captain EO fans have a little more time to see the tribute show.

Tomorrowland cast members were told the scheduled closure of the show has been postponed "indefinitely," though the official refurbishment calendar still shows the Magic Eye Theater closing on September 11.

Source: Mouse Planet http://www.mouseplanet.com/<wbr>10481/<wbr>Disneyland_Resort_Update#news2

Would be sad to see it go, Michael was way ahead of his time.

So all you people have a more time before they do inevitably close it!

Assuming no change in Florida and plans are continuing to retire it in December/January?

I saw this at Disneyland as a kid, of course I've seen it at home. But I would love to experience Captain EO in the theater 3D as an adult where I can appreciate it more than I did when I was 11...

I am not sure why even consider getting rid of it, I mean they could update things if they feel its a bit dated in style.. alot of disney attractions are now 4-D they call it. They can do a whole new demension of Captain EO..

The robot guys on/near stage, have Hooter doing something in the theater while he's not shown on screen.. just do things that fit the film and make it happen live too.. Of course the different effects they do now with the chairs, air blowing, water spraying, rumbling when it fits.. And instead of the surroundings looking like a theater make it look like the atmosphere they are in on screen.. for example use projectors to project the surroundings on the walls etc. when they are flying the audience is in space, when they crash they are near the rocks, and simular environment..

You get what Im saying!! There's no reason why not, they have the film complete!

The film itself is very dated. Especially with the puppets and effects. Even having live actors in the theaters or something wouldn't really help.

With that said, it just occurred to me how cool GHOSTS 4-d (that is, with live elements in a theater) would have been so coool.

Okay so an opportunity has come up to go to Paris in 2 weeks. Can anyone confirm if Disneyland in Paris currently has Captain EO amongst its attractions?

I remember it was 'closed' or something during the 25th anniversary celebrations last year, and all the recent marketing material I've seen says they've extended the anniversary into this year. The website lists the ride but I'd still like to know from someone that's been recently or lives locally or whatever?

Anyone know?

Okay so an opportunity has come up to go to Paris in 2 weeks. Can anyone confirm if Disneyland in Paris currently has Captain EO amongst its attractions?

I remember it was 'closed' or something during the 25th anniversary celebrations last year, and all the recent marketing material I've seen says they've extended the anniversary into this year. The website lists the ride but I'd still like to know from someone that's been recently or lives locally or whatever?

Anyone know?

Yes, it is still open but only on certain days. I checked the Disneyland Paris website for October and this is what it said:

Captain EO
Closed from 2nd October to 4th October, Closed from 9th October to 11st October, Closed from 16th October to 18th October.

http://news.disneylandparis.ie/calendar/calendar.xhtml?day=30&month=8&year=2013

The film itself is very dated. Especially with the puppets and effects. Even having live actors in the theaters or something wouldn't really help.

With that said, it just occurred to me how cool GHOSTS 4-d (that is, with live elements in a theater) would have been so coool.

Did you only come in here to say how bad Captain Eo appears now.. ? it's a wonderful movie and the effects are so cool...!!!!

I visited Epcot Center in Florida this past summer, and everyone really loved Captain EO. People were cheering and stuff. It still has a very nice sized crowd that comes to watch it. Only thing is they didn't have any Captain EO souvenirs. I was really disappointed about that, so I took the 3D glasses. I saw it like 3 times while I was there so I have a few sets of glasses.... I hate that it's closing at other Disney locations.

I think Atlas may have meant that it "wouldn't help" in regard to making it look more "recent", not help it "be better". As fans, I'm sure it holds a special place in all our hearts (I personally love it). From a business perspective though, it's gonna need some "freshening up" if Disney wants it draw in a new crowd, as younger crowds just simply aren't as nostalgic. If it's not gonna be a draw, it's not gonna make money and they're not gonna keep it around. And Disneyland isn't gonna keep an attraction just cuz a small percentage of their park-goers have a soft spot for it; they're gonna put something in it's place that promises to pull more visitors/merch sales. That's not a bad thing, just is what it is.

I hope they keep it going just a bit longer (if not a lot longer lol), but the changing of the guard is inevitable... :unsure:

Back