"Captain EO" Anaheim closing! [Update Pg 4 closing postponed indefinitely]

I'm sad to see Captain EO closing I never made it there either (I always wanted to but cant afford to travel) its memory lives in my heart.

Can someone confirm where Captain EO remains open then?

It's now definitely closed in Paris, it's last performance being Sunday.

What of the others?

As far as I know it closes at the end of June in Tokyo... still screening there until then.

It has never played at Disneyland Hong Kong.

Too bad I don't have a bunch of cash and a mini van or something. I'd say MJFam roadtrip to see Eo!

But Disney tickets are seriously expensive. I went to Disney World in 2011 with my high school band and it was $650 for the trip (hotel, food and tickets). We had discounted tickets since we were performing for Disney. They are about $300 a day for the tickets we had.

I think Atlas may have meant that it "wouldn't help" in regard to making it look more "recent", not help it "be better". As fans, I'm sure it holds a special place in all our hearts (I personally love it). From a business perspective though, it's gonna need some "freshening up" if Disney wants it draw in a new crowd, as younger crowds just simply aren't as nostalgic. If it's not gonna be a draw, it's not gonna make money and they're not gonna keep it around. And Disneyland isn't gonna keep an attraction just cuz a small percentage of their park-goers have a soft spot for it; they're gonna put something in it's place that promises to pull more visitors/merch sales. That's not a bad thing, just is what it is.

I hope they keep it going just a bit longer (if not a lot longer lol), but the changing of the guard is inevitable... :unsure:

It looks like I need to get to cracking and get back to Disney World. It's been 11 years since my last trip to the joint.

Too bad I don't have a bunch of cash and a mini van or something. I'd say MJFam roadtrip to see Eo!

But Disney tickets are seriously expensive. I went to Disney World in 2011 with my high school band and it was $650 for the trip (hotel, food and tickets). We had discounted tickets since we were performing for Disney. They are about $300 a day for the tickets we had.

Ticket for the day at Orlando wasn't too bad--$90 plus tax.

Anyone know then when it closes in Anaheim or Orlando?

I don't know b/c I don't think they have announced it yet but the EO souvenirs aren't being sold there at Mouse Gear (the store at Epcot) except for a small pin (no t-shirts, etc), so I think it's a hint.

I wish somehow they could release Captain EO as a DVD available to all.

Captain EO

Join the King of Pop on a cosmic crusade to save the day—with song and dance—in this 17-minute 3D film adventure.

captain-eo-00.jpg

Disneyland Park
Tomorrowland
Guests Can Be

Any Height
Age Interest

Pre-schoolers, Kids, Tweens, Teens, Adults, All Ages
Thrill Level

Dark, Loud https://disneyland.disney.go.com/attractions/disneyland/captain-eo/

Must not be closing any time soon, at Disneyland, the original since 1955, in Anaheim, California!!

I don't know b/c I don't think they have announced it yet but the EO souvenirs aren't being sold there at Mouse Gear (the store at Epcot) except for a small pin (no t-shirts, etc), so I think it's a hint.

I wish somehow they could release Captain EO as a DVD available to all.

I thought they hadn't been selling souvenirs since it's return?

I'm going to Disney World in October and I'm hoping it lasts til then.

It's still listed on Disney World's website...https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/epcot/captain-eo-starring-michael-jackson/

Funny that it still appears to be open. I actually went there for a weekend back in October cause I thought it would close in January, but it looks like it might've been for nothing. =/ Ah well, was still worth it. I got to see it in person again which I hadn't done since I was real little. :D

I can also confirm what jamba said about the merchandise, at least when I was there. All they had was a pin, which was a bit disappointing, but one can always turn to Ebay or Amazon for other Eo things. ;)

I found some information that the January 'closure' wasn't permanent...

How much longer it will remain for is unknown.

I was there this weekend (Disneyland). In 2010 the main Star Tours shop was filled with EO merchandise. In 2012 this was reduced to some shirts in the corner of the store. In July 2013 they only had the rainbow shirt and it was sold by Space Mountain.

Sadly this weekend there was no EO merchandise anywhere, I even asked multiple employees who all told me there is no merchandise for EO. Disney merchandises everything, having no souveneirs for EO means that it probably is going soon sadly. The projection quality is amazing, you can see so many small details, the picture is just perfect and the audio is fantastic. It will be sad to see this go, Michael's performance in this is phenomenal and it is my favorite of all his short films.

I'm glad in the past I was able to get Hooter Plush, Fuzzball Plush, EO Poster, EO hat, and EO Poster Shirt (which is now way too big for me).

Yeah, they did get rid of a lot of the merchandise fairly quickly. I got of bunch of that stuff when it first opened, but it's all Star Wars now. I did manage to find however a EO pin in one of the stores in Disneyland about a year or so ago. I think it was in a store in Fantasyland, but I'm not sure, wherever they sell the pins. It might still be possible to find that at least.

I went this thursday and it was closed in paris :-(. I still managed to get a tshirt there. Thats it for paris.

Where is love for this? Closing makes it sad for us as we are all fans. The magic always do continue!

Where is love for this? Closing makes it sad for us as we are all fans. The magic always do continue!

It does suck that it's closing, but these are the Disney theme parks we're talking about. Many attractions they've had have come and gone over the years (that awesome submarine ride and Snow White's Scary Adventures come to mind, at least for the Florida park) and unfortunately Captain Eo is no exception. =/ Perhaps someday it can come back in some form, whether they decide to rotate the films shown there or heck, if they build a new park somewhere and place it there. :p That would be sweet.

Over my spring break trip to Florida, I was surprised and excited to see Captain EO at Disney World (Epcot) in Orlando. If you guys are in the area, go check it out :) I'm not sure how much longer they will keep it there...

They could have made it a "4-d" experience before closing it anywhere.. re heighten it's potential..

I'm going Disneyworld in September just hope its still showing.
Even though i've seen it on youtube it just isnt the same as seeing it at Epcot

I saw it there in 1993, you're gonna love it. Watching it at home or whatever doesn't come close to the 3D experience with the effects.

They retired it from Disney World in 1994 I think so despite going back many times in the 90s and early 00s I never got a chance to go back on it. It has been replaced by then by Honey I Shrunk The Audience - which sucked by comparison.

I'm going back in October this year (I went in October '93) making it a gap of exactly 21 years between rides - I'm just PRAYING it lasts 'til then :)

I don't know if this has been mentioned but Captain EO closed at Disneyland on June 18th. The sign was removed on June 19th.

The official line from Disney is that the attraction WILL return, but at the moment it's making way for a preview of an upcoming film "Guardians of the Galaxy".

Rumours are swirling that it isn't coming back.

With the impending closure of EO in Toyko this week, and the fact that Paris has already closed it, Disney World Forida seems to be the only place left in the world to experience the magic.

Now that is depressing. :( Knowing Disney, I have a feeling they won't bring it back. It had a decent run, though, so there's that bit of positivity in all this.

Funny enough, I'm going to be at Disney World in a few weeks with my family, so I might be able to see it then. I may be by myself though; I don't think anyone wants to watch it with me. ._.

The special effects in this movie looked lousy to me even back in the nineties when I first saw it... They should have made a digitally remastered redux for Imax 3D, but instead they left it as is with the embarrassing especial effects... Lucas did a great job restoring the original Star Wars trilogy back in the late nineties. He could have made an amazing job with Captain E.O with today's technology...

As long as disney and the estate partner up to release this on bluray 3D in the near future, then they can do away with it in the parks as far as I'm concerned..

I was so happy to hear when they announced it would be returning in 2010, I've taken my family to see it at least half a dozen times at disneyland since it came back..

I never thought for a second that it would be there for 4 years tho! I figured maybe a year at most.. So having it around for almost half the length of its original run was just the icing on the cake for me..

I have a huge 3D tv in my living room so I'm waiting on the day when it's finally available for purchase on 3D bluray, hopefully with all kinds of extras..

The special effects in this movie looked lousy to me even back in the nineties when I first saw it... They should have made a digitally remastered redux for Imax 3D, but instead they left it as is with the embarrassing especial effects... Lucas did a great job restoring the original Star Wars trilogy back in the late nineties. He could have made an amazing job with Captain E.O with today's technology...

It was the worst thing that has happened to Star Wars. I think all the classic videos and movies should remain like they are. The only thing they should do is to release them in HD.

Back