Casual Listeners's Favorite MJ Songs

MJInTheMirror

Proud Member
I'm sure we all know at least one casual MJ listener. Which is/are their favorite song/s?
Me personally, I introduced MJ to my whole family (even my parents) and my best friend knows a bunch of songs from him.
My mom's favorite song is Streetwalker. She told me to download it on her Ipod hahaha. She also likes Remember The Time, Who Is It, Give In To Me, Human Nature and Keep The Faith.
My father loves Heal The World, Black or White, Will You Be There and Human Nature.
My brother likes Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' and TDCAU.
My sister used to like Will You Be There, I don't know if she listens to it now.
As I have two Dangerous albums, one of them is in the car, so it's the most well known, and that's why my parents love it the most probably.
My best friend knows Love Never Felt So Good, Chicago, Xscape, Beat It, Billie Jean, Bad and TWYMMF, he loves all those.
Tell me about the casual listeners you know!

My mother loves Smooth Criminal, Man In The Mirror, They Don't Care About Us and Keep The Faith
My friend loves Black Or White and Man In The Mirror
My other friend loves Can You Feel It
My cousin loves Rock With You
My Aunt loves Smooth Criminal, Who Is It, Give Into Me and Dirty Diana

:ermm: Hmm, I had to dig deep for an answer to the question, because I've always been around/grew up with/known hardcore J5/Mike fans, lol!

When I was still in the (US) Air Force there was one guy that always asked me to "play it again, Sheila" whenever I listened to the BAD album and Smooth Criminal played, hahahaha! I had one of those tower stereo decks with the 3 feel tall speakers and I always played Mike's music loudly. I still do. :chillin:

I don't listen to it on vinyl anymore (I don't have a record player).

Last edited:
I always get surprised how many people know and live P.Y.T... That is a popular one that I never realized how popular it was. I've been a few places where I would see people literally mouthing the whole song in a club and public place..

My mother who is a MJ hater. Did say she likes Michael's Thriller album stuff. And his Stranger In Moscow song. But anything else she really doesn't care much for. I did try to get her in to listening to his other songs. But no she thought they sounded horrible. And she wanted it turn off. My mother is the only casual listener that I know. Who very, very rarely listens to him. She rather listen to people like Neil Young, Tom Petty, and The Beatles. I just so totally envy the fans that the people in their lives. Especially their relatives are fans as well. I never had that happen to me.:( All the people I had ever really known are MJ haters. I can't tell you just how badly I was always made fun of in school. Just for being a fan of his. And this was at a time when it was really wrong to even like him. Which explains why I never really had any friends back then. I did once knew another person who liked Michael. This was back during the Dangerous era. When I was in my early teens. It is my marriage by only cousin. She even showed me the Bucharest Dangerous Concert. That I had so very badly wanted to see. I was 12 back then. But after the 93 allegations. She became one of the most biggest MJ haters you could ever want to meet. And she destroyed all of her MJ related stuff. I had always thought once a MJ fan always a MJ fan. And I've been a fan since the early 80s. Now I know how wrong I was to even think that. And how stupid she was. To even had believe in those allegations to begin with. Any way you guys are just so very lucky to know other MJ listeners in their lives. That is something I am never going to know.:(

"Bad", "Beat It", "Billie Jean", "Black Or White", "Dirty Diana", "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough", "Human Nature", "Love Never Felt So Good", "Man In The Mirror", "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)", "Remember The Time", "Rock With You", "Smooth Criminal", "The Way You Make Me Feel", "Thriller", "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" and "You Are Not Alone" are the ones I'd expect casual listeners to consider to be their favorite MJ songs.

Last edited:
Billie Jean, Beat It, Black or White, You Are Not Alone, Bad, Smooth Criminal and most surprisingly TDCAU; but then it's one of his most internationally popular songs.

One friend likes the Jackson 5 and Beat it as far as I know but most people like the classics. Another friends favourite song is slave to the rhythm.

Last edited:
MJ's Top 20 on Spotify:

1. Billie Jean
2. Love Never Felt So Good (it being a recent release, of course it has an advantage in terms of spins)
3. Beat It
4. Man In The Mirror
5. Thriller
6. Smooth Criminal
7. Black or White
8. Hold My Hand (again, recent release)
9. The Way You Make Me Feel
10. They Don't Care About Us
11. P.Y.T.
12. Dirty Diana
13. Bad
14. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
15. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
16. Human Nature
17. Rock With You
18. Earth Song
19. You Are Not Alone
20. You Rock My World

Last edited:
Out of the casual listeners who I've talked to over the years, the one that almost always comes up as their favourite is Smooth Criminal. I can think of a few people rn who said it was their favourite MJ song.

How'd you get the Top 20? I'm on MJ's Spotify profile and all I can see is his Top Ten most popular at the moment...

When you hover over a song's popularity bar it will show the number of plays it got.

Clipboard02.jpg

From then on I put the numbers in a chart and so I have a full list. What you see as "Top 10" is not exactly right either. For example it doesn't include Smooth Criminal when it has almost 48 million plays. Or it does not include Hold My Hand when it has 37.7 million plays, it does not include TDCAU when it has over 30 million plays etc.

Also the different versions of some songs are counted seperately (and for some other songs it is not so, so it is a bit random) and I counted them together. For example, for Black or White only shows 12.9 million plays in the Top 10, but that's just one of its versions (the one on Essential). The one on Dangerous has almost 29 million plays. So in such cases I counted the numbers together, so that would make BoW have over 40 plays actually. Or in the case of LNFSG I counted together the solo and the JT version.

When you hover over a song's popularity bar it will show the number of plays it got.

Clipboard02.jpg

From then on I put the numbers in a chart and so I have a full list. What you see as "Top 10" is not exactly right either. For example it doesn't include Smooth Criminal when it has almost 48 million plays. Or it does not include Hold My Hand when it has 37.7 million plays, it does not include TDCAU when it has over 30 million plays etc.

Also the different versions of some songs are counted seperately (and for some other songs it is not so, so it is a bit random) and I counted them together. For example, for Black or White only shows 12.9 million plays in the Top 10, but that's just one of its versions (the one on Essential). The one on Dangerous has almost 29 million plays. So in such cases I counted the numbers together, so that would make BoW have over 40 plays actually.

Oh so you actually went through every song and listed it? Wow! I thought it was some third party website that might've shown more extensive charts or something.

I think those Top Ten on MJ's profile are just meant to represent whats popular recently (it doesn't say 'Top Ten' above the charts, just 'Popular'). Like MITM has more plays overall than LNFSG, but since more people having been playing LNFSG than MITM recently (in whatever time frame they set) it's higher up on the chart.

Last edited:
Oh so you actually went through every song and listed it? Wow!

Yes, I have a full list. Here it is from 21-40 places:

21-40

21. Heal The World
22. I Just Can't Stop Loving You
23. Remember the Time
24. Will You Be There
25. A Place with no Name (2014 version)
26. The Girl Is Mine
27. Slave to the Rhythm (2014 version)
28. This Is It
29. Leave Me Alone
30. Liberian Girl
31. Off The Wall
32. Chicago (2014 version)
33. Jam
34. Who Is It
35. Loving You (2014 version)
36. Another Part of Me
37. She's Out of My Life
38. Give In To Me
39. Love Never Felt So Good (original demo)
40. In The Closet

I think MJ's numbers are altogether very impressive.
He has one song over 100 million plays (Billie Jean). 5 songs over 50 million. 14 songs over 20 million. 25 songs over 10 million.

He has over 2 million followers.

These are very good numbers from an artist who is not some current, active artist.

Oh and then add J5 and Jacksons:

J5 most popular songs:

1. I Want You Back 53,810,098
2. ABC 46,648,514
3. I'll Be There 10,727,555

Jacksons

1. Blame It on the Boogie 19,504,385
2. Can You Feel It 11,043,095
3. Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground) ~8 million

Last edited:
I always get surprised how many people know and live P.Y.T... That is a popular one that I never realized how popular it was. I've been a few places where I would see people literally mouthing the whole song in a club and public place..

But his vocal performance is so forceful here, isn't it?

^ Not sure what your asking Psychoniff.. Are you talking about vocal styling being forceful or??

^ well yeah there are portions that are more forceful than others.. does that not count as a casual listeners's fav song cuz of it? ... Im so lost lol!

My brother has said that he likes Smooth Criminal and Human Nature. He doesn't listen Michael's music but hears me playing it.

Oh, nice thread ;)

My Dad's fave song is "One day in your life"

My Mum's fave songs are "Remember the time" , "You rock my world" and "Love never felt so good"

^ well yeah there are portions that are more forceful than others.. does that not count as a casual listeners's fav song cuz of it? ... Im so lost lol!

I'm saying that that's what makes the song so great, his forceful vocals are hard to resist.

ohhh, lol.. yeah and it's just super catchy.. Get's the audience involved "Pretty Young Things repeat after me"... that helps DJ's get those 'cheap pops'.. (extra cheer and sing along)

You know, it's funny, this Summer my bestie (not an MJ fan at all) and I were walking past a bar and You Rock My World was playing. I look over and he was singing the words, much to my shock. I was like "you know this song?" and he says "yeah, it's one of the only MJ songs I do like." I guess it goes to show how dated we are at 28 now that we consider "You Rock My World" a "90's childhood classic" if you will, one of those songs that came out in the 90's/early 2000's and you just remember it ... Shaggy's Wasn't Me anyone? Anyways, this is the same friend I mentioned about listening to You Are Not Alone and crying in his room as a kid ... so after being best friends for 6 years, I have within the past couple months found 2 MJ moments, and he knows aaaaalll about my MJ love ... I like to think he's holding out on me :p

Neither "You Rock My World" nor "It Wasn't Me" should be considered "90s childhood classics", because they didn't come out in the 90s. They came out in the 2000s.

Neither "You Rock My World" nor "It Wasn't Me" should be considered "90s childhood classics", because they didn't come out in the 90s. They came out in the 2000s.

Hence the "if you will" sentence. Most of the 90's/early 2000's songs get mashed together by people in their late 20's and considered "90's childhood classics" even if they didn't come out in those years but more so around that general time in our life. Relax Bro :D

Hence the "if you will" sentence. Most of the 90's/early 2000's songs get mashed together by people in their late 20's and considered "90's childhood classics" even if they didn't come out in those years but more so around that general time in our life.

Not really. Generally 90s songs are considered to be part of just the 90s and 2000s songs are considered to be part of the 2000s.

I think it's pretty silly to consider something from the 2000s to be part of the 90s, even if it's the early 2000s. The 90s were 1990-1999.

Back