Changes

I'm about sure anybody who says that, including myself, refers to what's under the spotlight: mainstream stuff, commercial and creativeless.
I guess, but even then, tbh, were in a much better place than we were a decade ago. The EDM wave of nothingness has past. Maybe a few artists make nothing tunes for TikTok. But it is just more fun to search.

And it is still kinda funny, hype for an Invincible track.

Some of Today's artists have just learned the wrong lessons, where artists of the past did not: the music over image. I say Madonna caused that, but MJs image was so powerful people not only want to recapture that allure, they really just wanna recapture his allure. Nobody wants to actually top MJ. That's why they emulate him. If they wanted, they'd go to the same well of influence as him, and new ones, and their own. But basically that don't happen anymore.

That's enough of my tangent. I need to save these writings for my homework.

Anyone saying that “music sucks nowadays” is looking at the past with rose-tinted glasses. Every year and decade had plenty of mediocre songs released; we just remember the good stuff.

I agree that the standards of pop artistry have diminished over the years, but I wholeheartedly disagree that there has been any widespread shift of quality.

Anyone saying that “music sucks nowadays” is looking at the past with rose-tinted glasses. Every year and decade had plenty of mediocre songs released; we just remember the good stuff.

The thing in example is that I don't remember any (or almost none) "good" stuff for... not sure 10, 15 years?
(And I'm only considering popular music, not the smaller audience stuff I listen the most to, which also got scarce, for somewhat different reasons.)

I agree that the standards of pop artistry have diminished over the years, but I wholeheartedly disagree that there has been any widespread shift of quality.

So, you agree that some people may be right about this, from some point of view at least.

Last edited:
So, you agree that some people may be right about this, from some point of view at least.
There’s no right or wrong here. It’s all subjective.

I think the standards have dropped in regards to singing and live performance. I can only think of a handful of current artists who are vocal powerhouses and excellent live performers. Back in the day, those two things were essential. But now, you can get by with very little. I don’t think that’s reflective of the quality as much as it is the overall approach to talent, which I’d argue is a mixed bag.

Couldn't agree more

I bet the vocals are definitely from the Bad era though, I don't see why MJ would feel the need to re-record mumbled scratch vocals.

Thank you. Exactly what needed to be said.

There is less to trailblaze. The most innovate new genres have been pretty thoroughly explored. We haven't had a "new" genre in so many ages. Best we can do is subgenres.

It's the HIStory-era version. I can tell because of the production and the Andrae Crouch Choir's contribution.
it definitely sounds like it was crafted in the 80s. wish he had finished few 80s tracks for what became Invincible

I’m not scrolling this entire thread, do we know how finished ” changes” is?

edit: nevermind I remembered I made a thread about this kind of question. It is a rough demo

Well it's what they mean when they say Michael had full arranged "demos" that to anybody else is a complete song. Like the whole thing is there, it seems. Except his lyrics.

Well it's what they mean when they say Michael had full arranged "demos" that to anybody else is a complete song. Like the whole thing is there, it seems. Except his lyrics.
well, finding the right words was Michaels biggest handicap. in the 80s he would often ask his buzzy-wuzzy for help

well, finding the right words was Michaels biggest handicap. in the 80s he would often ask his buzzy-wuzzy for help
The words disappeared, on a cold windy night
Never to be found again, never to be found again

Controversial opinion. I think the 6 second snippet of Changes, is stronger than the 6 second snippet of GYWOOM was.

Look what traders have reduced us to, comparing 6 second snippets 😅
Not too controversial, is it?

Andrae Crouch Choir was on most of Michael’s albums.
But they didn't become a part of Mike's inner circle until Spring of 1987, when Man In The Mirror was recorded. Changes, in it's pre-Andrae Choir form, predated that recording by two years.

Controversial opinion. I think the 6 second snippet of Changes, is stronger than the 6 second snippet of GYWOOM was.

Look what traders have reduced us to, comparing 6 second snippets 😅
It's because Changes sounds so much more organic, so much more "natural Michael Jackson" in terms of absolutely everything. This demo is something else, it's like Cheater went in the gospel direction.

Back