Charlie Sheen Reveals He's HIV Positive

Victory2004

Proud Member
[h=1]Charlie Sheen Reveals He's HIV Positive[/h]<figure class="landscape" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;">
charlie_sheen_hiv_today_h_2015.jpg
<figcaption style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 1em 0px; border-width: 0px 0px 4px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 1.41667; font-family: inherit; font-size: 0.75em; vertical-align: baseline;">
NBC/Screenshot
</figcaption></figure>

by Hilary Lewis

11/17/2015 4:41am PST

[h=2]The actor appeared on NBC's 'Today' show amid reports about his health.[/h]On Tuesday's Today, Charlie Sheen revealed he's HIV positive.
"I am here to admit that I am in fact HIV positive," the actor said. "I have to put a stop to this onslaught, this barrage of attacks and sub-truths and very harmful and mercurial stories that threaten the health of so many others that couldn't be farther from the truth."
In a sit-down with Matt Lauer in the Today studio in New York, Sheen said that he'd been diagnosed with the disease roughly four years ago and that he learned that he had HIV after battling headaches, "insane migraines" and "sweating the bed two, three nights in a row." He was subsequently hospitalized, he said on Today, explaining that he thought he "had a brain tumor [and that] it was over." After a number of tests, they told him he has HIV.
"It's a hard three letters to absorb," Sheen said. "It's a turning point in one's life."
When asked how many people he'd told about his condition, Sheen said, "I've told enough that I've trusted to be in the position and situation that I'm in today."
Sheen also revealed that he had been paying a number of people who had demanded money to keep the news under wraps, "shake downs" that he hoped would end with his appearance on the NBC morning show.
While he didn't reveal how many people he had paid, he said it was "enough to bring [the amount he'd paid] into the millions."
"What people forget is that's money they're taking from my children," Sheen said. "They think it's just me, but I've got five kids and a granddaughter."
He added he hoped he wouldn't have to keep paying people after Tuesday's appearance. "I think I release myself from this prison today," he said.
He said later on the show that his financial situation is "not great."
"It will be great again," he added. "I'm a survivor."
<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" src="http://www.today.com/offsite/charlie-sheen-im-hiv-positive-paid-many-who-threatened-to-expose-me-568362563518" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; position: absolute; width: 654px; height: 417.875px;"></iframe>

Sheen returned for two more segments roughly 30 minutes after he made his announcement. In the first segment, in which Sheen was accompanied by his physician, Dr. Robert Huizenga, who's also an assistant professor of clinical medicine at UCLA, Huizenga said that Sheen "does not have AIDS" and is "healthy," confirming that he has what Lauer called "an undetectable amount of the virus in his blood."
"He was immediately put on treatment, strong antiviral drugs, which have suppressed the virus…to the point that he's absolutely healthy from that vantage," Huizenga said. "And my biggest concern with Charlie as a patient is substance abuse and depression from the disease more than what the HIV virus could do in terms of shortening his life, because it's not going to."
Sheen said he's no longer doing drugs but is still drinking. Despite that, he claimed he hasn't missed a dose of the four pills he takes daily.
<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" src="http://www.today.com/offsite/charlie-sheens-doctor-charlie-has-contracted-hiv-does-not-have-aids-568379459558" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; position: absolute; width: 654px; height: 417.875px;"></iframe>

Earlier, Sheen said it was "impossible" that he'd transmitted the virus to anyone but had unprotected sex with two people since he was diagnosed but claimed they were under the care of his doctor and "completely warned ahead of time."
While Sheen said he hadn't done intravenous drugs, he said he was "not entirely" sure how he'd contracted the virus.
<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" src="http://www.today.com/offsite/charlie-sheen-on-supporters-finances-revealing-hiv-status-to-family-568389187993" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; position: absolute; width: 654px; height: 417.875px;"></iframe>

After Sheen made his announcement, Lauer asked if he was feeling relief.
"More than I thought possible," he said, smiling. He said he'd discussed his condition with his ex-wives Denise Richards and Brooke Mueller, adding that he told Mueller, to whom he was married until 2011, right after his diagnosis that she should get tested. And he told Lauer that the other night, he told his oldest daughter Cassandra of his diagnosis.
"Sweetie, I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner but it didn't seem like you could do anything for me and I didn't want to burden you with all of the stress," Sheen said he told her, adding that she's "tough like her dad" and "was a rock star about it."
Lauer repeatedly read from a letter Sheen sent to him, including part that said his diagnosis sent him reeling into drug use and other behavior. The Today co-host asked Sheen if his 2011 public meltdown, in which the actor talked about "winning" and having "tiger blood," was a reaction to his HIV diagnosis.
"I wish I could blame it on that," Sheen said. "That was more of a 'roid rage. But this was on the heels of that."
He added, "I have a responsibility now to better myself and help a lot of other people. Hopefully with what we're doing today others may come forward and say, 'Thanks, Charlie; thanks for kicking the door open.'"
Sheen admitted he'll speak out often about this but "will pick my spots carefully and respectfully."
"I'm not going to be the poster man for this, but I will not shun away from responsibilities and opportunities that drive me to helping others and delivering a cure," he said.
He indicated that his condition shouldn't affect his status in Hollywood, claiming he's told people privately of his condition and that he'd be revealing it publicly on Today and they said, "Well, he's still the best guy for the job."
In terms of future projects, Sheen claimed the "chairman of Sony is excited about doing a show again" and that he has "a couple of films lined up that I could put start dates on."
Today billed its interview with Sheen as him making a "revealing personal announcement," an appearance that occurred amid various reports that he'd been diagnosed with the disease.
On Monday, the National Enquirer reported that Sheen is HIV positive and Hollywood publicist and crisis manager Howard Bragman told People that he was approached by individuals close to Sheen to deal with his situation.
"I've known about this a long time, it's not a surprise to me," Bragman said of Sheen's condition. "I feel very sorry for his pain. And I hope it's used as a teachable moment for the world. This is a disease that can affect anyone."
Bragman adds that he was told Sheen "is getting treatment, and a lot of people in his life know about it."
"It's been going on for quite awhile. He's not necessarily comfortable talking about it. It was very hard to get up the courage for him to talk about it."
TMZ and other outlets also reported Monday that Sheen is carrying the virus that causes AIDS.
Those reports came on the heels of blind items about an unnamed actor's HIV-positive diagnosis.
Sheen has openly acknowledged extensive drug use and soliciting prostitutes. He was famously fired from Two and a Half Men in 2011 after his public feud with producer Chuck Lorre, the network and the studio. He subsequently starred in FX's Anger Management.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/charlie-sheen-reveals-hes-hiv-840961

He is a true legend. One of a kind. Brilliant actor, very funny and talented. True visionary and genius. I was so sad yesterday when I heard the news and I started thinking that this may be the reason for all the bad things that happened to him in the last few years (Chuck Lorre fight and being fired from Men). So sad to hear that he was being blackmailed and extorted because of his condition. Shame how low people can get (even for prostitutes!). I watched his episodes of Men literally 10 times each, maybe more because reruns of Men is constantly on repeat on one television channel here in Croatia, each evening two episodes for 7 or so years. I haven't watched a single one episode with Ashton. This has to be the reason why he started drinking and doing drugs (more than usual) during the last eight season of the show (that was March of 2011). And this has to be the reason for all his troubles with Chuck Lorre and his emotional "meltdown" after being fired from his own show, show that was created for him based on his lifestyle (Charlie Harper IS Charlie Sheen). That is like someone fired you from your own life. I think that broke his heart. And to hear now that all that may be because of the fact that he is HIV positive is so sad. And that 100$ MIL payout he was given by Men for being fired could be related to this. I hope he'll live happy and long life just as Magic Johnson. Don't give up Charlie! #BraveCharlie just as Gaga posted yesterday. So nice of her.

This has to be the reason why he started drinking and doing drugs (more than usual) during the last eight season of the show (that was March of 2011).

Doesn't seem so, he says 7 minutes into the interview: "I... I... I... I wish I could blame [the meltdown] on that, uh, but that was more of a, uh, roid rage. This was, on the heels of that lemme say".

I don't have anything really for or against Charlie Sheen, I have enjoyed watching him in Two and a Half Men (a show I haven't seen for a good 5 years or something) but that's it really. Still, I wish him the best. Can't imagine how hard it would be learning you have HIV...

Doesn't seem so, he says 7 minutes into the interview: "I... I... I... I wish I could blame [the meltdown] on that, uh, but that was more of a, uh, roid rage. This was, on the heels of that lemme say".

I know what he said, I watched the interview. But I don't think he was completely honest in that one part. Maybe because of the legal issues. Men had to pay him $100 MIL for firing him + $25 MIL they owed him from his salary of the eight season. They settled out of court because he sued them for $300 MIL. That is just me thinking. I think it is weird and too much of a coincidence that all that happened at the same time. He said that he was sweating and that he was feeling ill and that he went to the hospital and that at first they didn't know what's wrong and then he found out. And if you go back to 2011, the day before he was fired from Men he end up in hospital. The official report was "hernia", but all the tabloids and news reports said drug problems related to cocaine and stuff. Maybe that was this what he's now talking about. Maybe that wasn't drugs related at all. Of course, he was fired because he wasn't showing up on his work and because of his lifestyle affected the shooting of the show (although he had that in his contract - that his lifestyle can't be the reason for being fired, that is why he got all that money), but maybe they settled out of court because he threatened to sue them for being fired because of his condition and HIV problems. Who knows. Just me thinking out loud. But in my opinion that can't be a coincidence. That all happened at the same time, same year.

Well, I'm not really a fan of Charlie Sheen, but I got to give him credit because HIV is still a very serious issue. It's no longer a death sentence as it was 30 years ago, people who were diagnosed are living full productive long lives as always.

Look how far we've come from the time when Magic Johnson came forward back in 1991, almost 25 years later and still going strong.

These drugs are horrendously expensive and thanks to Ryan White and the Act named for him, the drugs are subsidized for people who can't afford it.

Back