children, kids, babies in MJs songs

Someone Put Your Hand Out

"When you say we will dance 'til the light of day
It's just like the children in earth's joy"

Is it 'earth's joy'? 'Running with joy'? I'm going for 'earth's joy'.
not sure, but there are children

Last edited:
Er, no offence but do you know this song? It really doesn't fit the theme of the thread. Great song and I love it to bits but it really doesn't fit in here. At least, not imo. :)

EDIT - I'm talking about the original version by Three Dog Night. In fact, I've never listened to this cover version. Maybe they changed some most of the lyrics. 🤷‍♀️
The J5 version has additional lyrics that were not present in the Three Dog Night or original Randy Newman versions.

The kids in the song -here the J5- are at a location, obviously a party, that wasn't ment to be seen by a childs eye. Maybe I'm stretching this too far.🤷‍♂️

The J5 version has additional lyrics that were not present in the Three Dog Night or original Randy Newman versions.
I still haven't listened to the J5 version but it makes sense that the lyrics would need to be (drastically?) changed. Didn't know Randy Newman wrote / recorded this. Interesting!

The kids in the song -here the J5- are at a location, obviously a party, that wasn't ment to be seen by a childs eye.
I mean, that's sort of not too far from the original meaning except the guy in the TDN version isn't a child, obviously.

Maybe I'm stretching this too far.🤷‍♂️
:ROFLMAO:

I still haven't listened to the J5 version but it makes sense that the lyrics would need to be (drastically?) changed.
It's the same lyrics with additional lines added towards the end

She said, “that ain’t no way to have fun, son”
Got to leave this place

Oh, man, come on, stay. (No man, we gotta go)
Yea, we gotta leave (No, man. I got the keys here alright? You can’t go nowhere)
Hey man, I gotta go, man, it’s past my bedtime (what you doin’ there, kid?)
I’m opening the door (Come on man, I don’t want to miss the Flintstones)

Take your soda pop and go home, boy (why don’t you stay … 40 seconds … Na, na. See that’s what I’m talking about)

Mama told me, mama told me, mama, mama, mama not to come
Mama told me not to come (See that’s what I’m talking about. I’m gonna stay)
Mama told me not to come

Children's Holiday, 1998
Michael Jackson wrote and produced the song in 1998. The song was made to raise money after the Great Hanshin earthquake.
The track is registered only under Jackson's name on ASCAP, although it is unknown if he recorded his version.[1]

Someone Put Your Hand Out

"When you say we will dance 'til the light of day
It's just like the children in earth's joy"

Is it 'earth's joy'? 'Running with joy'? I'm going for 'earth's joy'.
“it’s just like the children in earth’s joy”

…is what it sounds like to me.

(What fabulous vocals those are, by the way!!)

Yes, you’re right. Kind of interesting given the topic of the song, isn’t it?
I found this:
If your baby's unwell, she'll probably cry in a different tone from the one you're used to. It may be weaker, more urgent, continuous, or high-pitched.
and Michaels song helps to soothe the baby
Play a constant sound
In your womb, your baby could hear the beat of your heart. She probably enjoys being held close to you now because your heartbeat is so familiar.
Other noises mimic the sounds she'll have heard in your womb. The repetitive noise of a vacuum cleaner, washing machine or hairdryer may help to lull your baby to sleep.

“it’s just like the children in earth’s joy”

…is what it sounds like to me.
Agreed. That's what it sounds like but I made the mistake of checking a few lyric sites and one of them had 'running with joy' which doesn't fit, doesn't quite make sense and just feels weird but I just had that little question mark in my head, lol.

(What fabulous vocals those are, by the way!!)
They are. Love that part so much. :)

Agreed. That's what it sounds like but I made the mistake of checking a few lyric sites and one of them had 'running with joy' which doesn't fit, doesn't quite make sense and just feels weird but I just had that little question mark in my head, lol.
It could make sense in the context of the book The Catcher in the Rye:
In The Catcher in the Rye Holden shares a selfless fantasy, in which he imagines himself saving children running through a field of rye by catching them before they fell off a cliff.

Last edited:
I found this:

and Michaels song helps to soothe the baby

Hm… no, what I meant is, it’s rather strange to have the cry of a baby as intro to a song about the man-snake Tom Sneddon. I mean, what does the cry represent? Is it Michael crying? Or is it Tom being a crybaby? Maybe just symbolically, as a general dissatisfaction? It’s an interesting choice of sound effect given the context.

Of course, it might be there just because it happens to be a cool sound, too.
That would be my take. The sound might be evocative or really interesting but not necessarily hugely symbolic. Michael certainly paid attention to detail but maybe he just liked this sound and that was it.

Last edited:
Like we really used to before we met in the fall
Back in the day when my youth was golden
We really had it all, oh

Hold my like you really used to
Summers in Gloucestershire
You hear these children
Singing, laughing, in the gardens
I wish that we’ll see Gloucestershire, again

Michael about his childhood in Days in Gloucestershire

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but to me Michael sings about children in There Must Be More To Life Than This:
There must be more to life than killing
A better way for us to survive

... in a world without children
There must be more to life than this

she's from a world
of popcorn and candy
pony rides for a dime
little children laughing

Carousel, 1982

Back