Controversial MJ Documentary Leaving Neverland [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

Interesting comments about Ava Du Vernay, who is campaigning anti-Trump, aiming at black women's votes (LN-relevant extracts below) :

Why Is Ava DuVernay Targeting Black Women?

......Earlier this year, DuVernay had sided with Oprah when the latter decided to step down from her role as an executive producer on the Russell Simmons #MeToo documentary On the Record, which focused on three Black women’s alleged experiences of being sexually assaulted by the record producer. Oprah had misgivings about the way some of the stories were represented in the film, and initially gave very vague statements before confirming that she did believe all the women who came out against Simmons and had not at all been influenced by the accused music mogul to exit the project. Oprah told The New York Times that DuVernay helped her make that decision and even gave a harsh appraisal of On the Record’s two white directors, Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering, ability to “[capture] the nuances of hip-hop culture and the struggles of black women.”

.....Perhaps, what had been important to Oprah, and by extension DuVernay, was whether such a sought-after name brand should be on something that didn’t fully represent either woman’s view of the world.

Oprah had already supported Dan Reed’s Michael Jackson child-abuse documentary Leaving Neverland, having neither produced nor overseen it in any way. Why such a different standard for a film about Black women’s experiences with abuse in entertainment?

Powerful people, no matter their identity, can themselves become cultural gatekeepers rather than groundbreakers. DuVernay has made a career off of reinterpreting history on her own terms, to varying results, and her distribution company, Array, has been responsible for getting excellent films by new directors to a wider public—most recently Residue, a film tackling the effects of gentrification in a Washington, D.C., neighborhood, has made waves. Yet her very vocal public positioning seems to be much less in solidarity with Black people than it is in power amongst those in entertainment and beyond it. This would be the legacy of Oprah, Jay-Z, Puff Daddy, and even Kanye West, and not of William Greaves, Nina Simone, Ruby Dee, and Ossie Davis, or the L.A. Rebellion.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-is-ava-duvernay-targeting-black-women?source=articles&via=rss

Blacks do not have a problem with someone exposing blacks if they are doing something wrong or proven to have done something wrong; however Oprah ran to cover LN which had plenty of lies expose even before it aired while ignoring whites who were accused and guilty and she pushed those 2 guys who are proven liars yet she ignored MJ's side even those who have knowledge about these liars and did not want to cover MJ side even Ava went along with Oprah until Taj tweeted to Ava about the facts of the case (Ava loves to block folks when they call out her hypocrisy as well). What many blacks will not tolerate is trying to bring down blacks with lies or clearly false claims. Did blacks go off about RKelly? No because there is too much circumstanial evidence against RKelly while MJ is the opposite. That is why blacks laid into Oprah. Blacks do not need other blacks to set them up. They have enuf of others folks trying to do that to blacks

Last edited:
Oprah has always sucked up to the white establishment to help/maintain her career. Shes the most fake person ever and will sell herself to anyone to achieve

Let’s not forget that moron John Legend he goes against MJ and he is black, he’s one of the very few black people to turn on MJ. He’s overrated and sucked as an artist anyways. And everytime that cow’s commercial “Weight Watchers” came on, I have to change the channel for a few seconds until it’s over which I refuse to stomach.

I wonder how john feel since he and his wife are called pedo due to their names in Epstein book. I do not believe they are pedos just like MJ is not but this should show them how easy it is for folks to lie about you on assumptions and rumors

There are some details about Reed's plans for LN2, and his comments about LN in the latest court documents, as follows (With many thanks to fans on Twitter):

Dan Reed's motion to quash US subpoenas that he and his production firm received by the estate on Sept. 21, 2020.

''Dan has filed a court motion detailing his plans for LN:2 while attempting to quash the estate's subpoenas very recently lodged toward Dan and Amos Pictures.

Dan indicates he has been in LA county for a month "for the sole purpose of filming the proceedings of these cases" and that he will fly back to the UK on October 18, until next March.
He is officially hired by Channel 4 "News & Current Affairs" for the production of LN:part 2.

For LN:2, Dan alleges it is "about current events taking place partly in public view...an unfolding narrative with multiple points of view. There are multiple parties involved...plaintiffs, defendants, and the Court"

He states it will premiere after the cases have concluded.

Dan met with Weitzman at his offices in June 2020 and was "optimistic" they'd allow him to film behind-the-scenes and do interviews, also including Branca and the defense attorneys representing MJ's companies in this case.
He sent multiple emails to them through September.

Weitzman has rejected participation for LN:2.
"Neither myself or anyone in my offices will participate in the documentary...for several reasons. Among them is the fact that you are already clearly on the record saying that you believe both accusers' stories without hesitation."

For those who noticed Dan following Paris on Twitter: In part that was because he sent HER a notice (*image below) about LN before it premiered at Sundance—after pressers began circulating about it.
He never solicited any comment or informed Jackson reps of it until after it was complete.

Dan has the nerve to suggest, in court, that LN is "impartial" and was not a one-sided film, because the media reviews loved it and said it was compelling. Yet he admitted in his interviews he didn't bother contacting anyone who'd defend MJ because "they weren't in the room."

In another clear "penalty of perjury" Dan proclaims that "not one factual error" in LN has been brought to his attention.
He dispels all "anomalies" as "baseless" according to his crack team of researchers.
Yet Dan offered two demonstrably false excuses for Train Station LIE.

.......After two meet-and-confers, the estate offered to (at least with respect to the US-based subpoenas):
a.) Limit the subpoenas to all of the UNPUBLISHED footage of the plaintiffs.
b.) Depose Reed and Amos Pictures only about that footage.

Channel 4 also put out an 8 page motion to quash the subpoenas. Their ramblings were mostly gushing over Dan as "one of the most internationally renowned" filmmakers to ever live & glowing LN reviews.
They attempt to paint the estate as wanting to "shoot the messenger" & so on.''

Personally, I just wanted to single out a particularly slimy comment from Dan Sleazeball, as a reason why he didn't include MJ's family or the Estate in LN:

'To the best of my knowledge, neither Jackson's family nor any representative of the Estate were present when the crimes alleged in 'Leaving Neverland' allegedly took place'.

https://mjjr.net/docs/2020-10-13-Dan-Amos-Motion-to-Quash.pdf

lEBgDhl.jpg

Last edited:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">MJFam this is a must read. <a href="https://t.co/j3C21g9QQF">https://t.co/j3C21g9QQF</a></p>&mdash; andjustice4some (@andjustice4some) <a href="https://twitter.com/andjustice4some/status/1316566370457329665?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 15, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The shade coming from the Estate. They argue that Dan Reed is not a journalist nor is he a documentary filmmaker. lol <a href="https://t.co/NGIHFEX9gZ">pic.twitter.com/NGIHFEX9gZ</a></p>&mdash; andjustice4some (@andjustice4some) <a href="https://twitter.com/andjustice4some/status/1316566672950530048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 15, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I've been thinking about 'PR' (public relations) for MJ in the current climate, and wondering how that will be handled once the court cases are over and 'LN2' appears.

I happened across an old article from 2009, just after Michael died, which mentioned that an interesting PR rep. (now working for a certain Harry and Meghan) had been engaged at that time, when a lot of rumours were flying about, and assorted people were speculating to the press.... I wonder if we will see more active PR in the run-up to MJ the Musical? After the trial in 2005 MJ seemed to more or less disappear from the press for a couple of years, but I imagine that won't happen this time with the Estate's involvement.

Jackson media frenzy faulted (4 July 2009)

The past week has been filled with breathless rumors and revelations from supposed intimates of Michael Jackson. Hyper-competitive news outlets are lapping up supposedly inside information from a motley cast of supporting characters, including Deepak Chopra, Lou Ferrigno and Al Sharpton, as well as many lesser lights.

A top publicist hired by the dead singer&#8217;s family has lashed back at the extensive and error-prone media coverage.

&#8220;People should be embarrassed when they print, blog or say things on the air that are proven to be entirely untrue or partially untrue,&#8221; said Ken Sunshine, a veteran PR consultant retained Wednesday by the Jackson family. &#8220;And there should be a shame in it.

&#8220;You watch these interview shows all night and all day,&#8221; he added, referring to the nearly nonstop coverage on cable news. &#8220;The people that they get to interview: Where are the standards of choosing somebody to go on-camera? . . . The so-called experts, who the hell are these people?&#8221;

In his professional life, Sunshine has of course very good reasons to advance such an argument. But many Jackson-fatigued viewers are likely asking similar questions. .......................

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2009-jul-04-et-jacksonmedia4-story.html

I swear to God if LN sequel gets out, I will riot. And I hate rioting. Let&#8217;s hope to God it will never be out in the light of day.

PoP;4307132 said:
I swear to God if LN sequel gets out, I will riot. And I hate rioting. Let&#8217;s hope to God it will never be out in the light of day.
either way, it will backfire and show this was all a money scheme a many already thought LN was anyway.

If/when they lose how will LN2 go exactly? Are they just going to make the estate look like the bad guy "justice was not served" or some other BS. They cant win.

If/when they lose how will LN2 go exactly? Are they just going to make the estate look like the bad guy "justice was not served" or some other BS. They cant win.

I expect there'll be plenty of footage of the lawyers complaining how 'no boys were ever able to get justice because of a rich and powerful man blah blah and a corrupt court system blah blah and all the witnesses were paid off blah blah and the poor boys are devastated and look at their terrible lives and the MJ fans have been wicked and make death threats blah blah and even the poor innocent film maker got a subpoena blah blah and they even sanctioned the struggling lawyers who were trying so hard to get justice blah blah...' (have I missed anything out?) Oh yeah ' and maybe we should change the law so that dead people can get sued, because it's just not fair and you can't get justice...'

I expect there'll be plenty of footage of the lawyers complaining how 'no boys were ever able to get justice because of a rich and powerful man blah blah and a corrupt court system blah blah and all the witnesses were paid off blah blah and the poor boys are devastated and look at their terrible lives and the MJ fans have been wicked and make death threats blah blah and even the poor innocent film maker got a subpoena blah blah and they even sanctioned the struggling lawyers who were trying so hard to get justice blah blah...' (have I missed anything out?) Oh yeah ' and maybe we should change the law so that dead people can get sued, because it's just not fair and you can't get justice...'
MJ was treated, news covered, called names, more than anyone even worst than people who are accused o murder. Again, that wont fly

I hope LN2 won't happen. the estate really need to get on the ball. let's be honest michael legacy already has dents in it it doesn't need anymore. i'm not wishing for LN2 but if it's does happens we'll pretty much screwed.

There's so many celebs that got away with alot of things that are dead or still getting praise. mj didn't do anything. i'm not saying he was perfect but he is innocent. i feel some people who are dead should be sued or in jail. but mj isn't one of them.

MJ was treated, news covered, called names, more than anyone even worst than people who are accused o murder. Again, that wont fly

Yeah it will. People who think MJ was guilty or was possibly guilty aren't going to care about how badly he was treated. If they even noticed and acknowledged it to begin with.

I hope LN2 won't happen. the estate really need to get on the ball. let's be honest michael legacy already has dents in it it doesn't need anymore. i'm not wishing for LN2 but if it's does happens we'll pretty much screwed.

The Estate can't stop LN2. Just like they couldn't have stopped the first one.

Yeah it will. People who think MJ was guilty or was possibly guilty aren't going to care about how badly he was treated. If they even noticed and acknowledged it to begin with.
Haters are going to haters but good thinking people wont buy it. Just heard the word. James Safechuck LOST his case. MJ won this victory

elusive moonwalker;4307185 said:
You said it so much better than me mysos.. &#65533;&#65533;

It didn't take long...... :rofl: ('even the poor innocent film maker got a subpoena blah blah') :

&#8216;Leaving Neverland&#8217; Director Dan Reed Fights Subpoenas As He Shoots Sequel To Channel 4/HBO&#8217;s Michael Jackson Film'

EXCLUSIVE: Leaving Neverland director Dan Reed is embroiled in a legal wrangle with Michael Jackson&#8217;s legacy companies as he attempts to shoot a sequel to his explosive, Emmy-winning Channel 4/HBO documentary.

Deadline can reveal that Reed has been filming in the Los Angeles Superior Court as Wade Robson and James Safechuck, the two men at the center of Leaving Neverland, pursue separate claims against MJJ Productions and MJJ Ventures after alleging that they were sexually assaulted by the King of Pop when they were minors.

Reed&#8217;s footage will be used in a follow-up film for Channel 4, in which he captures the legal wars being waged by Robson and Safechuck after their emotional Leaving Neverland interviews lit a fire under concerns that Jackson was a predator. In producing the second documentary, however, MJJ Productions and MJJ Ventures have sought to entangle Reed in the court proceedings.

https://deadline.com/2020/10/leaving-neverland-director-dan-reed-shooting-follow-up-film-1234599714/

S'funny, I thought Reed entangled HIMSELF in two court cases WITHOUT ever mentioning the court cases... So is everyone gonna act 'surprised' that there are court cases with CONSEQUENCES now???

This was the tweet from the 'Deadline' editor - note he '@-ed' Reed, and made no mention that Safechuck's case had been thrown out:

SCOOP: Leaving Neverland director @danreed1000
is filming a follow-up to his explosive Michael Jackson documentary. In doing so, he's having to fight subpoenas and smears from the Jackson companies.

Last edited:
myosotis;4307229 said:
It didn't take long...... :rofl: ('even the poor innocent film maker got a subpoena blah blah') :

&#8216;Leaving Neverland&#8217; Director Dan Reed Fights Subpoenas As He Shoots Sequel To Channel 4/HBO&#8217;s Michael Jackson Film'

EXCLUSIVE: Leaving Neverland director Dan Reed is embroiled in a legal wrangle with Michael Jackson&#8217;s legacy companies as he attempts to shoot a sequel to his explosive, Emmy-winning Channel 4/HBO documentary.

Deadline can reveal that Reed has been filming in the Los Angeles Superior Court as Wade Robson and James Safechuck, the two men at the center of Leaving Neverland, pursue separate claims against MJJ Productions and MJJ Ventures after alleging that they were sexually assaulted by the King of Pop when they were minors.

Reed&#8217;s footage will be used in a follow-up film for Channel 4, in which he captures the legal wars being waged by Robson and Safechuck after their emotional Leaving Neverland interviews lit a fire under concerns that Jackson was a predator. In producing the second documentary, however, MJJ Productions and MJJ Ventures have sought to entangle Reed in the court proceedings.

https://deadline.com/2020/10/leaving-neverland-director-dan-reed-shooting-follow-up-film-1234599714/

S'funny, I thought Reed entangled HIMSELF in two court cases WITHOUT ever mentioning the court cases... So is everyone gonna act 'surprised' that there are court cases with CONSEQUENCES now???

This was the tweet from the 'Deadline' editor - note he '@-ed' Reed, and made no mention that Safechuck's case had been thrown out:

Typical media vultures.

Back