Could Louis Theoux Have Saved Michael's Life?

Gatesy2006

Proud Member
If this has been discussed before my apologies!

Was doing research into the time period of 2002-3 and the Bashir/Geller/Theroux scenario in relation to Michael.

I was watching Louis's documentary based on his attempt to get an interview with MJ and it made me think, if he had granted him the documentary instead of Bashir, would Michael still be alive today?

We all know his death stemmed from that night in February 2003 when the documentary aired on British TV and we all know the tricks Bashir pulled into making Michael out to be something he wasn't. Yet had he taken the other route, and went with Theroux, who has a drastically different style than Bashir and has that authenticity that Bashir lacks. He would have made Michael squirm maybe at times when asking awkward questions but it would be have been a true reflection of him and not the hack job that Bashir done in the editing suite.

Could Theroux have altered the course of MJ's life?

Would like to know your opinions on this!

I don't think highly of Theroux. Have you seen that documentary he did in November 2003? Among others he interviewed Terry George in it and treated his story as fact. Same agenda as Bashir. So no, none of these so called journalists are to be trusted when it comes to MJ.

Maybe if that documentary was done by a documentarist who didn't any interest to please the mass media, it'd have been more fair to Michael, I may be an idealist but definitely not by any so called journalist working for big tv networks. I don't think any one-on-one interview he ever did, the presenters or journalists were fair and unbiased towards him.

Also, Theroux has been accused by critics of taking advantage of people and pulling tricks on them.

I don't think it would have made much difference tbh - would have been a similar sanctimonious voice over statements.

What seriously annoys me was how quick the general public were to be 'shocked' at Michaels interview but Princess Diana made some shocking claims and admissions with Bashir and nobody judged her, in fact the opposite happened, so it goes to show that people highlight and hear what they want to. Imagine how different her interview might have gone if Bashir had used a similar tone with the voice overs.

I think Louis Theroux has the same attitude Bashir has. His 2003 documentary wasn't good enough for me to think he would have done it any better than Bashir, let alone saved Michael's life.

Media publicized that interview with Diana as a very honest one but the Duchess of York Sarah Ferguson accused Bashit of pulling the same tricks he pulled on Michael later. Even if the public didn't judge her, that interview seemed more damaging for Diana.

From a Daily Fail article I found:

The Duchess of York has accused celebrity interviewer Martin Bashir of "tricking" Diana, Princess of Wales into confessing her deepest secrets.Sarah Ferguson said she doubted Diana would have revealed the things she did in her 1995 Panorama interview with Bashir had he not "lulled her into a comfort zone" to gain her confidence.

Appearing as a guest host on American daytime show The View, the Duchess claimed Bashir duped Diana into giving the intimate answers she did, in exactly the same way as he got pop star Michael Jackson talking in his recent programme.

During Bashir's interview with Diana, the Princess famously revealed "there were three people in this marriage" - a reference to her husband Prince Charles's relationship with Camilla Parker Bowles. The Duchess said: "She never would have said all the things she said if it hadn't been for the way he tricked her. He lulled her into a comfort zone by being this wonderful magnanimous man and by saying 'I'm a family man as well' and got her to talk that way. And, of course, 'off the record' doesn't exist."
Bashir came under further fire on the show, which is co-hosted by TV journalist Meredith Vieira, for being "sneaky" by not showing the whole footage of his interview with Jackson. The singer later released his own video footage of the interview which showed Bashir lulling him into a false sense of security by telling him how impressed he was with the love he has for his children.

The Duchess said: "I don't understand how Martin Bashir can sit there and say, 'I'm a family man, you're a family man. This is great', - and then Jackson says 'you tricked me'. I think I've got a tarnished view, coming from Britain where they are the most ruthless tabloid journalists in the world."

Last edited:
I don't think any one-on-one interview he ever did, the presenters or journalists were fair and unbiased towards him.

I wouldn't go that far. What about Molly Moldrum? BET and Ebony? That 1999 MTV interview? Even Oprah was quite fair and unbiased in her interview with him (she changed her tune later, after the accusations).

^^The Molly Meldrum ones were more promotional thing but he wasn't unfair, I agree. I agree with Lil about the Ebony/Jet one but Oprah asked him pretty vanal questions and the one about being virgin was inappropriate and uncalled for. The MTV just focused in his artistic and creative aspect but all the ones who have asked him personal aspects of his life have been unfair and biased.

I never heard of this guy so I looked him up in Wiki and it seems like his agendas are tricks on people to get them to talk and he has a sex scandal/pedo agenda. So it would have been the same.

And yeah, Bashir blatantly got Diana to talk about things she shouldn't have-led to their divorce and the subsequent paparazzi frenzy. We know how that turned out.

I blame Bashir for both their deaths.

No I dont think he would have been able to . It was Theroux that convinced MJ to do a private concert in a pink bikini , the photos have never been released thank god lol

5505952+_0a3b441c09cc3bcd59fc5eee414b263b.gif

In case anyone missed it I think this shows exactly how an interview with Louis Theroux would have gone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2003/11_november/13/theroux_transcript.pdf

I actually thought Louis had got Joe to use the word f*ggot - but I must be mistaken, but anyway, this interview was a mess.

PS. A pink bikini? Please tell me people don't actually believe that!

Sorry was just a bit of an attempt to add some humor into the forum lol , didnt want it to sound like trolling :D I think we needed a bit of cheering up
and its the sorta daft thing MJ would laugh at very loudly :p

Sorry was just a bit of an attempt to add some humor into the forum lol , didnt want it to sound like trolling :D I think we needed a bit of cheering up
and its the sorta daft thing MJ would laugh at very loudly :p

I didn't accuse you of trolling but was shocked that maybe people would believe something so ridiculous! lol

Back