Could the song Morphine be about Elvis and Lisa Marie?

He found a new woman that he loved more than he loved any woman except his mother and daughter. Maybe that´s why LMP got so angry..

Just a question though, back to the subject of the song, every line is addressed to 'baby' or 'daddy' and he talks about himself in the third person "he got flack, baby" "He's taking demerol" and then switches to 1st person "I ain't your rival".

even if you allow that some of this is being addressed to the drug or by the drug, it seems like 'baby' and 'daddy' imply a woman as a subtext, no? how else do you interpret it?

Just a question though, back to the subject of the song, every line is addressed to 'baby' or 'daddy' and he talks about himself in the third person "he got flack, baby" "He's taking demerol" and then switches to 1st person "I ain't your rival".

even if you allow that some of this is being addressed to the drug or by the drug, it seems like 'baby' and 'daddy' imply a woman as a subtext, no? how else do you interpret it?

Thanks for swinging it back on track, because the derailing was annoying AF, lol! "Baby" and "Daddy" are also used in reference to dominance and submission. It isn't always a male/female situation. I've heard men use that in competitive sports against an opponent they see as weak. "Who's your DADDY now?" etc.

Mike could have been talking about anything when using those terms. I don't know and won't pretend to know. The song is powerful, revealing and heartbreaking, as well as being one that's great to dance to.

I wasn't comfortable (or find it necessary) to psychoanalyze Mike when he was alive and still isn't now that he's dead. It's obvious that I also have little patience with people that DO. I can't (and won't) help it... :hysterical:

Chill_zpsdxd8hdt6.jpg

It's definitely a personal song and I think also a universal anthem about struggle/addiction.

Back