Could the song Morphine be about Elvis and Lisa Marie?

Petarkco

Proud Member
I have a thought about the lyrics to Morphine and I'm thinking it may be about Elvis and Lisa Marie?

The opening line is apparently "He got flat baby" maybe it could be "He got fat baby"?
"A heart attack baby" - Elvis died of a heart attack.
"I hate your bible" could be "I hate your father".
There's also the line "Always to please daddy" which could refer to Lisa Marie among other lines possibly aimed at her.

The song mentions Morphine and demerol, Elvis had both in his system when he died.

I don't know, might be a long shot.

What Joe Vogel wrote about Morphine.

Michael Jackson: Man in the Music, Part 2 (Morphine)
Joe Vogel 07/27/09 05:12 AM ET
[This is Part 2 of a series exploring Michael Jackson the artist through his albums and songs. The following excerpt is taken from Chapter 5 of Man in the Music: An Album by Album Guide to Michael Jackson]

People often struggle with allowing artists to grow and evolve. For Bob Dylan it was considered sacrilege by many to pick up an electric guitar; for the Beatles, the shift from sentimental love songs to social statements and psychedelia caused them to lose, in some people's minds, their initial charm and mass appeal. For Michael Jackson, the conventional wisdom meant every album post-Thriller that didn't sound or sell like Thriller was considered a failure; this, in spite of the fact that some of his most significant and challenging work came later. Call it the curse of expectational stasis.

Still, for those who gave Blood on the Dancefloor: HIStory in the Mix a serious listen, it was an impressive record indeed. Containing just five new songs, the album is considered an artistic breakthrough by some. "His singing on the first five tracks of new material has never been so tormented, or audacious," wrote Armond White of Village Voice. "'Blood on the Dancefloor' has the vitality of an intelligence that refuses to be placated. . .[It] is a throwdown, a dare to the concept of innocuous Black pop." In a 1997 review, The New York Times' Neil Strauss concurred: "There is real pain and pathos in these new songs... Jackson's pain is often the world's merriment, and this is probably true of his new songs, which fret about painkillers, sexual promiscuity and public image. In many of them, Jackson seems like the elephant man, screaming that he is a human being... In keeping with Jackson's darker mood, the music has grown more angry and indignant. With beats crashing like metal sheets and synthesizer sounds hissing like pressurized gas, this is industrial funk... Creatively, Jackson has entered a new realm." In the gritty, haunting "Morphine," Jackson tackles a subject he never had before: drug addiction. To a relentless, industrial funk beat, the singer lashes out in visceral bursts of anger, aggression, and pain. "Is truth a game daddy," he screams out at one point. "To win the fame baby/It's all the same baby/You're so reliable." The rage and disappointment, combined with its ear-assaulting sound (music critic Tom Sinclair described it as "alternating Trent Reznor-style sturm und clang with Bacharachian orchestral pomp"), make for a jarring listening experience, particularly for those accustomed to the breezier melodic pop of Off the Wall and Thriller (though it should be noted that songs like "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" and "Billie Jean" were already beginning to uncover the complexity, paranoia and pain represented in these later tracks). But "Morphine" is best viewed as an experiment -- both sonically and lyrically -- in representing the experience of physical/psychological pain as well as its temporary release via narcotic pain relievers like demerol and morphine (both of which Jackson has been reportedly addicted to, on and off, since the early Nineties).

This experience is also brilliantly conveyed in the song's form: About mid-way through the track, the grating beat subsides, symbolically representing the pacifying effect of the drug. "Relax, this won't hurt you," Jackson sings soothingly from the perspective of the drug.

[Click here and scroll down to "Morphine" to listen. The interlude begins at approximately the 2:48 mark]

Before I put it in Close your eyes and count to ten Don't cry I won't convert you There's no need to dismay Close your eyes and drift away

Demerol Demerol Oh God he's taking demerol Demerol Demerol Oh God he's taking demerol

He's tried Hard to convince her To be over what he had Today he wants it twice as bad Don't cry I won't resent you Yesterday you had his trust Today he's taking twice as much Demerol Demerol Oh God he's taking demerol Demerol Demerol Oh God he's taking demerol

These verses are perhaps some of the most poignant (and tragic) Jackson has ever sung. Beyond the literalness of the drug itself is Jackson's persistent yearning to escape from pain, loneliness, confusion, and relentless pressure. In this brief interlude he beautifully conveys the soothing, seductive, but temporary release from reality. There is a sense of pleading, of desperation, before the high abruptly ends, and the listener is slammed back into the harsh world of accusations and anguish. Sputnik Music described this musical sequence as a "moment of absolute genius." The song, written and composed entirely by Jackson, is one of his most experimental and brilliant creations. It is a confession, a personal intervention, a witness, and a warning.

[Note: This analysis of "Morphine" was written before Michael Jackson's death. It becomes all the more tragic given reports that narcotics like demerol and morphine may have contributed to his passing.]

I think it is just as much about himself as childhood.

As any song, it can be interpreted broadly, but if we are looking for bio aspects, it's about MJ and Debbie more than anyone else. From her testimony on the AEG trial the parallels are pretty obvious. Some even speculate that "baby" and "daddy" in the song are words meant to be sound anagrams for "Debbie"

The opening line is apparently "He got flat baby" maybe it could be "He got fat baby"?

It's "he got flak baby"

I don't think it was about Elvis or Lisa Marie, but it could be a possibility! :shifty:

I see where your going with this. However we know that Michael was unfortunately addicted to morphine and demerol and the song is very agresive this makes me think that Michael wrote it in anger with himself Lisa Marie revealed in an interview that the reason they broke up was because of his drug addiction. This song to me was written in anger and sadness to himself for loosing Lisa over it. Michael was loved Lisa and always did.

Dan get your facts straight, LMP has selective memory when it comes to Michael. In this 2003 interview with that hag Diane Sawyer, she said she never saw drugs during the marriage and then in 2010 said the exact opposite? F.ck that liar! But unlike her father, Michael had genuine medical reason to take pain killers which are naturally addictive. Having the scalp burned and reconstructed twice (the second time was in 1993) was excruciatingly painful. Anyhow, the addiction, possible relapse, pain, anger, sadness, hopelessness are talking in the Morphine song, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with Elvis or Lisa at all.

Dan get your facts straight, LMP has selective memory when it comes to Michael. In this 2003 interview with that hag Diane Sawyer, she said she never saw drugs during the marriage and then in 2010 said the exact opposite? F.ck that liar! But unlike her father, Michael had genuine medical reason to take pain killers which are naturally addictive. Having the scalp burned and reconstructed twice (the second time was in 1993) was excruciatingly painful. Anyhow, the addiction, possible relapse, pain, anger, sadness, hopelessness are talking in the Morphine song, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with Elvis or Lisa at all.

Why should Lisa tell the truth about Michael and drugs back in 2003, while he was still alive? - in 2010 the truth had relieved itself - it was obvious to everyone that Michael was on something, so why not just be honest?

Drugs take certain time to leave the organism, that's the reason I assume many athletes take constant anti doping tests. In Decemember 1995, doctors told her there were no drugs in Michael's system when he collapsed. In fact, it was due to extreme exhaustment and dehydration. There were no drugs least during their marriage, she lied in 2010 and if you've seen her interviews through the years, she constantly changed the story.

As others have said,I think it's about MJ and his own experiences more than anything else.......but what a tune,I absolutely love that track and I would love to have seen a video for it.

The track is very introspective. It gives me chills it is so great. I close my eyes and see the scene unwind with the sorrow and pain and anguish over his experience. It is a brilliant genius song.

Obviously talking about his own addiction but also I think OP might be right in that there is some reference to Lisa in this as the POV seems to change back and forth but more like how she is hectoring him to quit when her own father died from drugs. And double meaning that Lisa and he are drugs to each other. I don't personally see Debbie in any of this but that's just me.

Agree with those that said Lisa changed her story.

Why should Lisa tell the truth about Michael and drugs back in 2003, while he was still alive? - in 2010 the truth had relieved itself - it was obvious to everyone that Michael was on something, so why not just be honest?

It served her purpose to make him the tragic figure and herself the great lost love. She could blame the breakup on drugs and vultures and still benefit from being connected to his name. Like her mother did with Elvis. It's so obvious.

I believe morphine is about Michael and his own experience. There is a part in the song where I do believe he is referring to Lisa. Lisa talks about being scared regarding the drugs in her 2010 Oprah interview. She said it just brought her back to everything that happened with her father.

No matter what anyone says Michael and Lisa truely loved each other. They went through so much together. Good and bad times. She truely loved Michael and still does, always will. And Michael truely loved her to the day he died. They never loved anyone else the way they loved each other.

No matter what anyone says Michael and Lisa Truely loved each other. They went through so much together. Good and bad times. She Truely loved Michael and still does, always will. And Michael Truely loved her to the day he died. They never loved anyone else the way they loved each other.
Care to explain that 2005 Oprah interview with her mom if you really think that they loved each other?

They might have loved each other, but it's also true they divorced and never remarried. It's true MJ had complaints which he listed to the rabbi, and its true LMP took her vitriol to television and magazines from 2003 onward. So they obviously had issues with each other and I think MJ is alluding to some of those issues and 'attempts to save him' in this song. "oh god he's doing demerol" could be what Lisa said. The song talks about rivals, and I took it to mean demerol was Lisa's rival for MJ.

Last edited:
Care to explain that 2005 Oprah interview with her mom if you really think that they loved each other?
. Sure I would be happy to. Lisa went through an angry stage. She was very angry and hurt. Something happened between her and Michael. It caused her to become so angry. We don't know what it was but something indeed happened. When you're angry and hurt like that it sometimes causes you to do and say things you really don't mean and later regret.

Michael and Lisa could never really quit each other. They always gravitated back to each other. I never seen either of them as happy as they were when they were married. After the marriage they spent four years breaking up and getting back together. When Michael died something broke in Lisa. I will never forget her blog she posted right after he died. All that anger just faded away. All the love she worked so hard to berry. Just came crashing down on her.

In her 2010 Oprah interview I saw and felt her pain. I saw her deep love for him. And I heard it in her music on her storm and grace album. "Just a dream", "I was wrong". Listen to those songs.

And I will always respect Lisa for being there for him the way she did during the first allegations. If it wasn't for Lisa and Elizabeth Taylor. I believe we would have lost Michael.

. Sure I would be happy to. Lisa went through an angry stage. She was very angry and hurt. Something happened between her and Michael. It caused her to become so angry. We don't know what it was but something indeed happened. When you're angry and hurt like that it sometimes causes you to do and say things you really don't mean and later regret.

How about Michael threatening to have children with Debbie.... would that hurt and anger someone?

The song is what it is: Mike's personal battle with (and overcoming) his addiction to the prescription drug. I know some people like to romanticize his failed marriages, but everything isn't about them. If we're going to compare the two wives, I'd say Debbie was more supportive and respectful of him than Lisa was and still is TODAY.

How about Michael threatening to have children with Debbie.... would that hurt and anger someone?
. Yes, it sure would. I love Michael to death but he was dead wrong. What husband tells their wife you have my baby or my nurse will? WTH? I LOVE Michael, but that was hurtful and selfish. All this happened during their marriage though.

Whatever happened to cause Lisa to become so angry and hurt happened in 2003.

The song is what it is: Mike's personal battle with (and overcoming) his addiction to the prescription drug. I know some people like to romanticize his failed marriages, but everything isn't about them. If we're going to compare the two wives, I'd say Debbie was more supportive and respectful of him than Lisa was and still is TODAY.
. Well this is fine. you have a right to your opion. I'm not trying to romanticize anything. I'm just speaking the truth.

All I have to say about Debbie Rowe is she bled Michael dry. Constantly threatened him with the kids. During the trial took him to court trying to get his kids taken away from him. after the trail took him to court again trying to keep him from leaving the country.

Last edited:
. Well this is fine. you have a right to your opion I'm not trying to romanize anything. I'm just speaking the truth.

All I have to say about Debbie Rowe is she bled Michael dry. Con stably threatened him with the kids. During the trial took him to court trying to get his kids taken away from him. after the trail took him to court again trying to keep him from leaving the country.

No, you're making assumptions and stating OPINIONS. You nor I nor any of us here were anywhere near their marriage to say what is the truth. What is the obvious truth is their marriage FAILED and she went on a hate campaign afterwards. You don't do that to someone you supposedly love.

As for an analysis of the song, a thread was already created months ago. This is turning into another Lisa thread and one of those exist already, TOO.

Older "Morphine" analysis thread link: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threads/136648-Morphine-Song-Analysis

Michael and Lisa could never really quit each other. They always gravitated back to each other. I never seen either of them as happy as they were when they were married. After the marriage they spent four years breaking up and getting back together. When Michael died something broke in Lisa. I will never forget her blog she posted right after he died. All that anger just faded away. All the love she worked so hard to berry. Just came crashing down on her.

In her 2010 Oprah interview I saw and felt her pain. I saw her deep love for him. And I heard it in her music on her storm and grace album. "Just a dream", "I was wrong". Listen to those songs.

And I will always respect Lisa for being there for him the way she did during the first allegations. If it wasn't for Lisa and Elizabeth Taylor. I believe we would have lost Michael.
Because in 2010 she was backtracking the 2005 interview. And keep in mind that 2005 interview was conducted less than 10 years after their divorce. I don't understand how one would still be bitter that many years later over a divorce. She backstabbed Michael in more ways than one and it's sad that you're blind to their love that didn't work out. Nobody could've saved Michael except himself and he chose not to.

Question is it okay that we're discussing this in this thread? You know I don't want to cause any problems and derail the thread. If it's a problem maybe we should just leave it alone. I respectfully disagree with some. My thoughts will not change. I'm guessing yours won't either. So agree to disagree?

Because in 2010 she was backtracking the 2005 interview. And keep in mind that 2005 interview was conducted less than 10 years after their divorce. I don't understand how one would still be bitter that many years later over a divorce. She backstabbed Michael in more ways than one and it's sad that you're blind to their love that didn't work out. Nobody could've saved Michael except himself and he chose not to.
. You don't have to be sad for me. I'm not blinded to their love. We just see things differently.

Back