Dangerous (co)produced by Quincy Jones

Jaburu

Proud Member
With all the demos, new tracks and snippets revealed over the years, what if Q and MJ never parted? How could the tracklist be? What would it sound like?

I guess it would include Keep the Faith as a successor to Man in the Mirror and, similar to Bad, many self penned songs like Heal the World, Who Is It, Will You Be There

I guess it would include Keep the Faith as a successor to Man in the Mirror and, similar to Bad, many self penned songs like Heal the World, Who Is It, Will You Be There

I can see all those staying. I would LOVE to hear "Who Is It" produced by Q

I am glad Q Didnt produced after bad. Don’t get me wrong.. I love the 80s stuff. But it’s good that MJ worked with others.. I don’t wanna miss Teddy and Rodney..

With Quincy Jones as a co-producer of the 'Dangerous' album, the track list would have been more cohesive and with no filler songs at all.

Also, the overall production of the 'Dangerous' album would have been more polished and more disciplined.

Quincy Jones also would not have included these very long, pointless intros on certain songs (such as, on 'Will You Be There', 'Heal The World', 'Black Or White').

'Remember The Time' and 'Who Is It' would have stayed in the track list, because Quincy Jones liked them when he listened to them (during a sneak preview, right before the official release of the album).

such album with Q would have been simply the never realized 2nd LP of Bad.

I think Dangerous would've been hard hitting but still softer in terms of production and content. I can see songs like CLHGA, Serious Effect and BOTDF being on there as well as Quincy incorporating BOJ, SPYHO and Joy

Last edited:
With Quincy Jones as a co-producer of the 'Dangerous' album, the track list would have been more cohesive and with no filler songs at all.

Also, the overall production of the 'Dangerous' album would have been more polished and more disciplined.

Quincy Jones also would not have included these very long, pointless intros on certain songs (such as, on 'Will You Be There', 'Heal The World', 'Black Or White').

'Remember The Time' and 'Who Is It' would have stayed in the track list, because Quincy Jones liked them when he listened to them (during a sneak preview, right before the official release of the album).

good post. the tracklist is incoherent and there are too many songs

Looking back it was such a bold move to split from Q for Michael's next album considering the success of BAD.

Luckily Michael pretty much pulled it off (not quite as good in my opinion as BAD) but not far behind either.

he wanted to be the boss. With Q it was always negotiation on every single decision.

he wanted to be the boss. With Q it was always negotiation on every single decision.
Right. He wanted Michael to write the album but he still wanted to have a say-so and I get it because if it were up to Michael, those songs would've been tapping out at 8 and 9 minutes long.

Right. He wanted Michael to write the album but he still wanted to have a say-so and I get it because if it were up to Michael, those songs would've been tapping out at 8 and 9 minutes long.

To be honest, I never was too impressed with MJ's productioning. Yes, he looked over other's shoulders for decades and sure delivered professional work. But Q was a master

It is interesting that Teddy Riley revealed (during the REVOLT Interview) that he was actually meant to work with Quincy Jones on the 'BAD' album.

Michael Jackson wanted also Teddy Riley on the 'BAD' album, but American music producer Gene Griffin (who was Teddy Riley's manager at the time) had some strict demands for the 'BAD' album sessions that eventually did not let that happen.

Michael Jackson did not like Gene Griffin at all, and he used to describe him as the guy with a bald head.
Looking back it was such a bold move to split from Q for Michael's next album considering the success of BAD.

Luckily Michael pretty much pulled it off (not quite as good in my opinion as BAD) but not far behind either.
Michael Jackson had signed a 3-record deal with Quincy Jones ('Off The Wall', 'Thriller', and 'BAD').

So, their separation (after 'BAD') did not really have to do with being a bold move on the singer's part, but it had to do with the fact that their deal ended.

It is interesting that Teddy Riley revealed (during the REVOLT Interview) that he was actually meant to work with Quincy Jones on the 'BAD' album.

Michael Jackson wanted also Teddy Riley on the 'BAD' album, but American music producer Gene Griffin (who was Teddy Riley's manager at the time) had some strict demands for the 'BAD' album sessions that eventually did not let that happen.

Michael Jackson did not like Gene Griffin at all, and he used to describe him as the guy with a bald head.

Michael Jackson had signed a 3-record deal with Quincy Jones ('Off The Wall', 'Thriller', and 'BAD').

So, their separation (after 'BAD') did not really have to do with being a bold move on the singer's part.
I've never heard of that before that Jones and Michael only had a 3 album deal together.

There was no guarantee that OTW would be a success so I find it surprising that there would already be a map planned out for the future.

Do you have any proof of this?

read those titles again, and say again it's not a bold move to ditch THAT producer lol
Funny you should say that, I've seen comments within this forum previously to suggest that some think Quincy was just a bum who held Michael back and brought very little to the table.

Funny you should say that, I've seen comments within this forum previously to suggest that some think Quincy was just a bum who held Michael back and brought very little to the table.

they are just salty about some shit Q said more recently.

I've never heard of that before that Jones and Michael only had a 3 album deal together.

There was no guarantee that OTW would be a success so I find it surprising that there would already be a map planned out for the future.

Do you have any proof of this?
It has been well documented that there was a 3-record deal, for example:

"Still, Bad would be [Quincy] Jones' final project with [Michael] Jackson. Some say it was a clean break as Bad was the third in a three album contract between the two" (Eddie Santiago, 'MEDIUM.COM' website)

"Actually, Quincy Jones signed a deal for 3 albums with Michael Jackson. In other words, Quincy Jones knew from the very beginning that he was contractually meant to make only 3 albums with Michael Jackson. So, it is not true that the producer could not accept the fact that Michael Jackson dropped him after the 'BAD' album" (mj_frenzy, 'MJJCOMMUNITY.COM' online fan forum)

The 3-record deal was also confirmed by Gary Crocker, owner of the now-defunct 'MaxJax: HIStory Continues' Michael Jackson online fan forum.

So, it is not true that the producer could not accept the fact that Michael Jackson dropped him after the 'BAD' album" (mj_frenzy, 'MJJCOMMUNITY.COM' online fan forum)
The end of a contract does not exclude that he was disappointed that Michael didn't want to extend it again. I think he was upset about it.

"Still, Bad would be [Quincy] Jones' final project with [Michael] Jackson. Some say it was a clean break as Bad was the third in a three album contract between the two" (Eddie Santiago, 'MEDIUM.COM' website)

"Actually, Quincy Jones signed a deal for 3 albums with Michael Jackson. In other words, Quincy Jones knew from the very beginning that he was contractually meant to make only 3 albums with Michael Jackson. So, it is not true that the producer could not accept the fact that Michael Jackson dropped him after the 'BAD' album" (mj_frenzy, 'MJJCOMMUNITY.COM' online fan forum)

The 3-record deal was also confirmed by Gary Crocker, owner of the now-defunct 'MaxJax: HIStory Continues' Michael Jackson online fan forum.
I'll be honest I don't believe they only had a 3 album deal plus after the success of BAD, it would be a no brainer to join forces again I'm sure they could have easily come to an agreement.

The above quotes are from fans not in the know record insiders, it would be like Gaz telling us MJ and Q only had a 3 album deal.

Can you not provide us with more legit sources?

The end of a contract does not exclude that he was disappointed that Michael didn't want to extend it again. I think he was upset about it.
Although Bad had 5 #1s, it didn't have a song on the top for more than 2 weeks like OTW and Thriller
OTW had RWY, which was #1 for 5 weeks in the US
Thriller had Billie Jean (#1 for 7 weeks in the US) and Beat It (#1 for 3 weeks in the US)
IJCSLY (#1 for 1 week in the US)
Bad (#1 for 2 weeks in the US)
TWYMMF (#1 for 1 week in the US)
MITM (#1 for 2 weeks in the US)
DD (#1 for 1 week in the US)

I'll be honest I don't believe they only had a 3 album deal plus after the success of BAD, it would be a no brainer to join forces again I'm sure they could have easily come to an agreement.

The above quotes are from fans not in the know record insiders, it would be like Gaz telling us MJ and Q only had a 3 album deal.

Can you not provide us with more legit sources?
Quincy Jones did not seem to be upset or disappointed when their 3-record deal ended and Michael Jackson did not want to extend it again.

Actually, Quincy Jones appeared to be happy about that, especially regarding the 'BAD' album which took so long in its making:

"I ain't gonna sit around in the studio three years to make an album with Michael … Too long. Too long. Bad was too long for me" (Quincy Jones, Chicago Tribune Interview, 1995)

This means that even if Michael Jackson wanted to extend it again, Quincy Jones would have refused even though 'BAD' was a successful album.

I'll be honest I don't believe they only had a 3 album deal
A 3 album deal sounds quite normal to me. Don't think there's anything unusual in that.

plus after the success of BAD, it would be a no brainer to join forces again I'm sure they could have easily come to an agreement.
They could have done a new contract, sure, but Michael was ready to move on, imo. I don't think a new contract would have happened. I'm not saying it's unusual for a band or artist to do lots of work with the same producer. David Bowie released about 25 (26?) albums in his lifetime and he did 13 of them with Tony Visconti. But I really think Michael and Quincy had probably taken it as far as it could go. Or Michael believed it to be so. 🤷‍♀️

Although Bad had 5 #1s, it didn't have a song on the top for more than 2 weeks like OTW and Thriller
OTW had RWY, which was #1 for 5 weeks in the US
Thriller had Billie Jean (#1 for 7 weeks in the US) and Beat It (#1 for 3 weeks in the US)
IJCSLY (#1 for 1 week in the US)
Bad (#1 for 2 weeks in the US)
TWYMMF (#1 for 1 week in the US)
MITM (#1 for 2 weeks in the US)
DD (#1 for 1 week in the US)
You are only referring to the US. I think after Thriller he became a really global artist. Did OTW chart worldwide?
Bad is Michaels most successful album until today after Thriller, not OTW.

"... So, it is not true that the producer could not accept the fact that Michael Jackson dropped him after the 'BAD' album" (mj_frenzy, 'MJJCOMMUNITY.COM' online fan forum)
Wow, the mj_frenzy's proof is the mj_frenzy's previous message. It's another level! Immagine Tom Sneddon in 2005: "My proof? Look, there are the words of a certain Tom Sneddon".
I'm starting to think that we're dealing with the ChatGPT5 here.

Wow, the mj_frenzy's proof is the mj_frenzy's previous message. It's another level! Immagine Tom Sneddon in 2005: "My proof? Look, there are the words of a certain Tom Sneddon".
I'm starting to think that we're dealing with the ChatGPT5 here.
Someone described frenzy as the Tabloid Junkie intro and now I can't get it out my brain 😂 the resemblance is uncanny

A 3 album deal sounds quite normal to me. Don't think there's anything unusual in that.

They could have done a new contract, sure, but Michael was ready to move on, imo. I don't think a new contract would have happened. I'm not saying it's unusual for a band or artist to do lots of work with the same producer. David Bowie released about 25 (26?) albums in his lifetime and he did 13 of them with Tony Visconti. But I really think Michael and Quincy had probably taken it as far as it could go. Or Michael believed it to be so. 🤷‍♀️
Perhaps but there's no real proof that there was a 3 year deal , it's made up by frenzy

Back