Dangerous (co)produced by Quincy Jones

Yeah no 3 year deal but John Barnes said Michael thought his contract was up because he did OTW, ET and Thriller.....not knowing they didn't count E.T. as an album

Yall are focusing on the wrong part of this topic, 3 album deal or not... the thing that matters is, Quincy's albums during the 90s were ass.

Dangerous by Quincy? Yeah.. no thanks, glad that never happened.
Oh, I wasn't focused on that at all. Quincy did a great job on Michael's albums, imo, but I'm glad Michael moved on to the next phase of his career. He made the right decision as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Yall are focusing on the wrong part of this topic, 3 album deal or not... the thing that matters is, Quincy's albums during the 90s were ass.

I don't really care if Quincy's albums in the 90s were ass as you put it... He was a Jazz artist at heart anyway.

The fact is that Quincy and Michael together created some of the greatest albums ever made in music. You're glad that the men who made Off The Wall, Thriller and BAD never worked together again... Ok

I have no doubt that Michael and Quincy would have pull off something magical for the 4th time. That combo cannot be beat.

They have a few decent songs but overall, yeah. Nothing crazy.

I don't really care if Quincy's albums in the 90s were ass as you put it... He was a Jazz artist at heart anyway.

The fact is that Quincy and Michael together created some of the greatest albums ever made in music. You're glad that the men who made Off The Wall, Thriller and BAD never worked together again... Ok

I have no doubt that Michael and Quincy would have pull off something magical for the 4th time. That combo cannot be beat.
There's been plenty of incredible duos that stopped doing it well. They excelled in the 80s but like Stevie, Quincy did not prefer the 90s. Wheras MJ loved it so he excelled the same.

Also, they were trying to get back together in the 2000s, and that would've been a much more fruitful time.

There's been plenty of incredible duos that stopped doing it well. They excelled in the 80s but like Stevie, Quincy did not prefer the 90s. Wheras MJ loved it so he excelled the same.

Also, they were trying to get back together in the 2000s, and that would've been a much more fruitful time.
😲

Yeah. I am glad.
Very.
In fact, in a perfect world Quincy wouldn't have been anywhere near the Bad album, even back then his contributions to Bad were made less every single time because Michael would just say "let's do / use the Synclaivier version!" and he (Quincy) wasn't even happy working on Bad due to how long the process for making the album took, even though 80% of the dirty work had already been done by the time he hijacked the production of the album.

I don't hate Quincy, in fact i am glad he and MJ did the magic they did when they did, but i understand when things shouldn't overstay their welcome, that duo lasted as long as it should've had imo.

"Q did nothing before and after MJ"

Q has 28!!! Grammys

in 1991 "where he went back to his hole cause MJ gone" he won 6!!!

In fact, in a perfect world Quincy wouldn't have been anywhere near the Bad album, even back then his contributions to Bad were made less every single time because Michael would just say "let's do / use the Synclaivier version!" and he (Quincy) wasn't even happy working on Bad due to how long the process for making the album took, even though 80% of the dirty work had already been done by the time he hijacked the production of the album.
Some of this might be true, but you shouldn't forget that it was Q who encouraged MJ to write more own songs for his next album (which became "Bad").

"Q did nothing before and after MJ"
I struggle with the idea that some people (hopefully not many) might believe this to be true.

By the time he was 14 or 15 he was, apparently, in the backing band that worked with Billie Holliday. He worked with Frank Sinatra, Peggy Lee, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn. He worked with Count Basie. He did all of Leslie Gore's big pop hits in the 1960's. He persuaded Miles Davis to come out of retirement. The live album they worked on was the last one before Miles Davis died. He composed loads of film scores. Just a few are:

In the Heat of the Night - Sidney Poitier, Rod Steiger
The Italian Job = Michael Caine
Cactus Flower - Ingrid Bergman, Goldie Hawn
The Hot Rock - Robert Redford
The Color Purple

These films were all big hits. Quincy did about 40 film scores, these are just the ones I'm aware of. Working with Michael gave him loads more exposure and he became famous in a way he never would have if he hadn't done those MJ albums. But he was already famous within showbiz. I don't know much about the music awards he's won but I do know that, for some of them, he was the first African American to get a particular award.
Some of this might be true, but you shouldn't forget that it was Q who encouraged MJ to write more own songs for his next album (which became "Bad").
Exactly so! Plus he introduced Bruce Swedien into Michael's world. Also Paulinho da Costa. And Michael surely must have learned loads from working with Quincy.

such album with Q would have been simply the never realized 2nd LP of Bad.
Hm, interesting point. I'm happy with the way things worked out but this is interesting. I would have liked Bad to be a double (or triple!) album. Maybe.

if Q worked less on Bad it explains why it is clearly a level (or 2) below Off and Th

Literally just listen to Q's efforts and decide for yourselves if this type of work sounds inspiring to you. To me, it's not even too bad. But there's nothing there that's on the same level.

Literally just listen to Q's efforts and decide for yourselves if this type of work sounds inspiring to you. To me, it's not even too bad. But there's nothing there that's on the same level.

we are talking about Q as a producer, not the artist.
It is a little hard to grasp the role of the producer without learning a little about the whole process. It is a little like the maestro of an orchestra. Some people think he is just there swinging his sticks without really doing anything to the sound, but he is crucial to how the interpretation turns out (main work actually done during rehearses)

we are talking about Q as a producer, not the artist.
It is a little hard to grasp the role of the producer without learning a little about the whole process. It is a little like the maestro of an orchestra. Some people think he is just there swinging his sticks without really doing anything to the sound, but he is crucial to how the interpretation turns out (main work actually done during rehearses)
This is Q as a producer. His role on these albums is the same. Did you even listen to them?

The above quotes are from fans not in the know record insiders, it would be like Gaz telling us MJ and Q only had a 3 album deal.

Can you not provide us with more legit sources?
My brother literally used himself as a trusted source. lol.
Perhaps but there's no real proof that there was a 3 year deal , it's made up by frenzy
I did not think I would be saying this, but this time I think Frenzy is correct. I remember John Barnes saying on the MJCast that Michael and Quincy had signed a 3-record deal. Michael mistakenly thought after Thriller that their contract had ended (due to the E.T. Storybook), which is why Barnes was so heavily involved in 85’ and 86’.

I remember John Barnes saying on the MJCast that Michael and Quincy had signed a 3-record deal. Michael mistakenly thought after Thriller that their contract had ended (due to the E.T. Storybook), which is why Barnes was so heavily involved in 85’ and 86’.
Yeah, this is where this stuff was confirmed, I didn't even know mjfrenzy talked about this stuff. It's long been established MJ was creating a "concept album", with songs like Be Not Always on it.

Quincy's a fantastic producer and did an incredible job of helping bring Michael's vision to life.
No one is saying otherwise.
I only said the truth, Quincy was tired of working with MJ after Bad, and he certainly would have limited Michael's vision during the 90s, i'm sorry but i do love me some 30 second long intros and extremely repetitive outros in MJ's music, which Dangerous is filled with (both the album and the song itself)

I was just saying i am glad we got what we got in the end, Dangerous by MJ and the amazing team that was Bill, Bruce, and of course Teddy.

off topic but talking about really long songs... i really wish those Future Studios CDs leaked and we got some of those extended mixes for songs like CLHGA lol

No one is saying otherwise.
I only said the truth, Quincy was tired of working with MJ after Bad, and he certainly would have limited Michael's vision during the 90s, i'm sorry but i do love me some 30 second long intros and extremely repetitive outros in MJ's music, which Dangerous is filled with (both the album and the song itself)

I was just saying i am glad we got what we got in the end, Dangerous by MJ and the amazing team that was Bill, Bruce, and of course Teddy.

off topic but talking about really long songs... i really wish those Future Studios CDs leaked and we got some of those extended mixes for songs like CLHGA lol
And the Dangerous single of course.

Yeah, some of us do like MJ's excess and eclectic taste in the 90s. You wouldn't have gotten that with Quincy Jones, nor would you have gotten the sound profile that only Teddy Riley did to it's peak.

Dangerous essentially was the Off The Wall of the 90s because Teddy helped MJ "Burn this New Jack Swing Out. Quincy didn't have that authority.

Back