Dangerous (co)produced by Quincy Jones

Yeah, some of us do like MJ's excess and eclectic taste in the 90s. You wouldn't have gotten that with Quincy Jones, nor would you have gotten the sound profile that only Teddy Riley did to it's peak.

Dangerous essentially was the Off The Wall of the 90s because Teddy helped MJ "Burn this New Jack Swing Out. Quincy didn't have that authority.
My friend that is perfectly put

Is it possible that MJ and Quincy didn't 'break up' but that they 'grew apart', since 'Dangerous' was not planned to be a studio album in the first place..?

Is it possible that MJ and Quincy didn't 'break up' but that they 'grew apart', since 'Dangerous' was not planned to be a studio album in the first place..?
they were contracted to do 3 albums and it was fulfilled. If Michael wanted to extend it, he would have but music was pushing in a new direction anyway with New Jack and while Quincy is a genius, I don't know if he would've been able to capture it.

I do think it sounds plausable that there was a contract for Quincy to produce 3 albums for MJ.

But I must admit it is news to me (or maybe I have just forgotten about it)

Is there anyone who have more info about it? Has MJ ever mentioned a contract for 3 albums? Have Quincy? Or others? Is there any leaks of the contract?

I love Frank Sinatra - and jazz music. - Quincy Jones was a genius, hands down. He has made so extremely much great music, so well produced.
If he turned crazy in his later years I do not know, if he has said negative stupid stuff about MJ in his later years I do not know. But he is a legend.

I do think it sounds plausable that there was a contract for Quincy to produce 3 albums for MJ.

But I must admit it is news to me (or maybe I have just forgotten about it)

Is there anyone who have more info about it? Has MJ ever mentioned a contract for 3 albums? Have Quincy? Or others? Is there any leaks of the contract?

I love Frank Sinatra - and jazz music. - Quincy Jones was a genius, hands down. He has made so extremely much great music, so well produced.
If he turned crazy in his later years I do not know, if he has said negative stupid stuff about MJ in his later years I do not know. But he is a legend.
Nope it's all hearsay , I asked frenzy who his source was and he quoted himself.....it tells you everything.

Until there is concrete proof of this 3 album deal I won't believe it.

What would happen if OTW completely flopped? Quincy would have been removed as producer and no follow up would have ever been made under him.

they were contracted to do 3 albums and it was fulfilled. If Michael wanted to extend it, he would have but music was pushing in a new direction anyway with New Jack and while Quincy is a genius, I don't know if he would've been able to capture it.

Yes I agree, but what I mean is that Dangerous also wasn't planned as a studio album so the whole 'separating'was organic in nature; it wasn't a some sort of shock for Quincy, like the media wanted you to believe

I'm not a business insider, but an artist having a contract with a producer doesn't make sense to me, much less in the 70ies. it was the label that was paying both

I'm not a business insider, but an artist having a contract with a producer doesn't make sense to me, much less in the 70ies. [...]
It was completely standard. The artist or band has a contract with the record label, with the music publisher and also with the producer. The producer gets a percentage of the royalties.

Teddy says it was Q that "got tired"

in another video I saw with Q he does not directly answer the question but saying something in the line of that they had different visions of the future market

Teddy says it was Q that "got tired"
in another video I saw with Q he does not directly answer the question but saying something in the line of that they had different visions of the future market

The story of Q being mad because Michael was sneaking to produce songs is crazy......Michael had a whole studio at Hayvenhurst before he even began working with Q and Q getting "tired" doesn't sound too far from the truth but John Barnes' story regarding the contract deal for 3 albums makes the most sense to me since he was with Michael heavily during this era

"Just to clear the air, we didn't go to Michael's house to do demos to hand over, we went to make the record and there was a conflict in understanding as to whether Michael had the right to proceed forward without Quincy Jones or not. There was a misunderstanding let's just say. When that film was done [E.T.] and there was a record soundtrack that was released, Quincy had a relationship with Michael that was to cover 3 projects. Michael thought those 3 had been fulfilled so that's the environment we believed we were coming into. It ended up proving out that E.T. was viewed as a soundtrack [and] not a record so we lost our positioning on Bad."

Last edited:
The story of Q being mad because Michael was sneaking to produce songs is crazy......Michael had a whole studio at Hayvenhurst before he even began working with Q and Q getting "tired" doesn't sound too far from the truth but John Barnes' story regarding the contract deal for 3 albums makes the most sense to me since he was with Michael heavily during this era

"Just to clear the air, we didn't go to Michael's house to do demos to hand over, we went to make the record and there was a conflict in understanding as to whether Michael had the right to proceed forward without Quincy Jones or not. There was a misunderstanding let's just say. When that film was done [E.T.] and there was a record soundtrack that was released, Quincy had a relationship with Michael that was to cover 3 projects. Michael thought those 3 had been fulfilled so that's the environment we believed we were coming into. It ended up proving out that E.T. was viewed as a soundtrack [and] not a record so we lost our positioning on Bad."

yea....Q had his own projects, e.g. Tevin Campbell who everybody thought would be "the new MJ". Making an album with MJ meant being tied to him, and only him for years

yea....Q had his own projects, e.g. Tevin Campbell who everybody thought would be "the new MJ". Making an album with MJ meant being tied to him, and only him for years
I think 3 projects was enough and if anything, it would’ve been nice to see Michael branch off for 2 or 3 albums outside of Quincy and come back during the later years with Q on board again.

Can you imagine Invincible with Quincy, Bruce and Rod back on board?

The dangerous album was successful without quincy but i think the problem with quincy he was too ''old school'' and michael needed someone that was in the ''now time'' in the start of the 90's. if the chandler fiasco hadnt have happened i reckon the dangerous album may have become more successful than ''thriller'' (please thriller lovers dont hate me!!!) cuz it was more versatile than his other album

I think 3 projects was enough and if anything, it would’ve been nice to see Michael branch off for 2 or 3 albums outside of Quincy and come back during the later years with Q on board again.

Can you imagine Invincible with Quincy, Bruce and Rod back on board?
Post trial MJ was working again with Barnes & Bottrell. Then he reached out to Rod Temperton in 2008 while he never had stopped working with Buxer. Can you imagine album entirely produced with these guys, even if Q wasn't involved anymore?

Due to circumstances out of MJ's control - The fake allegations in 1993 - the Dangerous era came to a rather abrupt ending.

The tour ended before time and the huge momentum got lost. Had that never happend who knows what could have happend.
Maybe MJ had added more US concerts, more promotion. More one off performances at award shows etc.

Dangerous the album - and the popularity of MJ in 1992 was unmatched. - As soon as rumours about child moestation started to circulate everything changed. With those kind of crimes, just the rumours are devastating and destroying.

Back