DANGEROUS & me

laeticia.fr

Proud Member
This is a thread to share your memories related to Dangerous Album, Dangerous Tour or everything happened in Dangerous Era.

At the time of the release of Dangerous Album, I was deeply in love with someone.
Every time he came home, I always put Dangerous Album.
Michael voice carried me into the sublime world.
If I was so happy at that time, it was also thanks to Dangerous album.

I remember that Dangerous album jacket really impressed me.
I truly loved it. I was fascinated by Michael’s eyes and all drawings.
Bad Album and Dangerous Album remained for long in a special place to decolate my bookshelves.
(After Michael's passing, I gathered everything related to Michael in the same place on a shelf.)

I remember I was so happy to watch Dengerous Tour Live in Bucharest aired on French TV.
I recorded it on VHS, of course.
I loved it so much, I kept watching until the day my last VCR have not work at all.

Dangerous came out when I was six years old. I have already shared some memories in another thread, but I will be more specific here.

For one, I saw Michael singing Heal The World on TV. I didn't know it was the super bowl, but I knew it was a big deal because someone came to get me to come and see it, and my whole family was watching this moment on TV together. It must have been too, because nobody in my family ever watched football. Anyway, I thought it was amazing. Seeing all those people together, and the pictures that appeared in the audience, and such a wonderful song to see so many people sing together. It made me really happy.

We had the Dangerous cassette tape and I used to stare at it and study it because it fascinated me! i can't remember if I knew it at the time or not, but I didn't know it was a Michael Jackson tape. As I was re discovering his music this summer, I looked up Dangerous after reading a reference to it in an article. The moment I saw the image of the album cover I thought "Oh my god, there are two songs I love on this, and I love one more than the other." But I had no recollection of what the songs might be.

So I looked up the track list and recognized Heal The World and knew it was one of the songs. But I knew there was one I loved more than that, so I looked each track up on YouTube and the moment I heard the first not I knew it. Will You Be There was the other one. I have recently learned that this was also the theme to Free Willy, bu I never saw that movie and I know it was not to association to it. I just remember sitting on the living room floor and loving it even though I couldn't her what anybody was saying. It spoke to me even though I didn't know why.

I also remember loving Black or White, and have a distinct and clear memory of it that bothered me then and now. My mother was talking to another grown up, probably another mom on our street, and said "His song says it doesn't matter if you're black or white, but it obviously matters to him". I had no idea what she meant my this, because I didn't know about the tabloids, I only watched cartoons and hated the news. I asked her about it and she told me he bleached his skin, and I literally imagined him pouring Javex on himself and I was so confused because I knew it wold burn! In my defense, it makes as much sense as believing that stupid rumor.

I remember my daughter’s school teacher didn’t come to school to attend Dangerous Tour.
No parent say anything because we all loved Michael.
I hope they still love Michael today.
Maybe the teacher would be on this site and come to say “That was me!” :wild:

Lark0016;3723476 said:
Dangerous came out when I was six years old.

Lark0016;3723476 said:
We had the Dangerous cassette tape and I used to stare at it and study it because it fascinated me! i can't remember if I knew it at the time or not, but I didn't know it was a Michael Jackson tape. As I was re discovering his music this summer, I looked up Dangerous after reading a reference to it in an article. The moment I saw the image of the album cover I thought "Oh my god, there are two songs I love on this, and I love one more than the other."

Lark, I think you are almost the same age as my daughter.
I'm surprised because of difference between my daughter's childhood and yours.
My daughter learned many of Michael’s songs and dance moves at school during Dangerous era and HIStory era.
ALL the children (and teachers) at her school loved Michael at that time.
They grew up with Michael’s music. They also learned English.
We didn’t care about the allegations in 93. We believed in Michael.
We had nothing but good memories of these good old days. :girl_butterfly:

I’d like to know experiences of other young generation in other countries too.

Dangerous and me...

Ah well, I WISH I could forget this 'episode' :cry:
When I think back... All I FEEL is pain...
The pain they caused Michael...
The pain they caused me...
Being an MJ fan was NO fun in a school that didn't support Michael :doh:

This was the 'DARKEST' period in my life...

When you don't feel happy, then you're personal life gets all :blink: too...

Studies didn't work out... Had no luck in finding a job... Needed to 'constantly' PROVE my love for Michael... NEEDED to constantly FIGHT against that IGNORANCE and that BULLYING...
:beee:

As I wrote on another thread, I became a MJ fan after the release of Bad Album, but in Bad era I was some kind of light fan, in other words, I was a fan of his music & dance and his beauty (he was soooooooo beautiful :cupid: ). Simply because I knew nothing else about him, I had no idea of his personality, I never read tabloids, and there was no Internet at the time, of course.

If I became a deep fan, I think it was thanks to Oprah Winfrey TV show in early 1993.
It was the first time I watched Michael not singing or dancing, but speaking with his smiles, laughter and shyness, with his sweet voice which was so pleasant to listen to ... through all I watched on TV, I truly realized his kindness, his goodness and his lovely and lovable personality. So I deeply fell in love with him. :girl_in_love:

My positive impression I got thanks to the TV show was so strong that when I heard Chandler allegations a few month later, I didn’t believe at all. I immediately thought it was an extortion affair, nothing else. For me it was impossible to think that such a nice person could hurt anyone, especially not children.

Not only me, but all the people around me, MJ fans or not, who watched Michael on Oprah was thinking the same way. They realized this American Pop Star was a very nice person. So they didn’t believe in Chandler at all, I remember they were saying it was unthinkable that someone so good like him would do such a thing and those who doubted were absolutely wrong, they were stupid and malignant.

Generally speaking, in our country, we don’t believe in US and UK media, especially their tabloid magazines, we despise people who read tabloids (including French ones) and believe in. (Another element to add is that in my country there are very few people able to follow information in English, our English skills are very limited in general.)

I think these are some of principal reasons explaining the difference between the reaction of people around me and people from other countries, including neighboring Belgium where Daryll was entering a painful period at that time. She wrote : “Being an MJ fan was NO fun in a school that didn't support Michael” while in my daughter’s schools, children were still learning to sing and dance Michael, and this also after the release of HIStory album.

I don’t know exactly the reaction of most people here in 2005. What is certain is that people around me were really skeptical about US media, they didn’t trust US&UK media, and they regarded Michael as a victim of the media, that's for sure.

Last edited:
laeticia.fr;3726050 said:
As I wrote on another thread, I became a MJ fan after the release of Bad Album, but in Bad era I was some kind of light fan, in other words, I was a fan of his music & dance and his beauty (he was soooooooo beautiful :cupid: ). Simply because I knew nothing else about him, I had no idea of his personality, I never read tabloids, and there was no Internet at the time, of course.

If I became a deep fan, I think it was thanks to Oprah Winfrey TV show in early 1993.
It was the first time I watched Michael not singing or dancing, but speaking with his smiles, laughter and shyness, with his sweet voice which was so pleasant to listen to ... through all I watched on TV, I truly realized his kindness, his goodness and his lovely and lovable personality. So I deeply fell in love with him. :girl_in_love:

My positive impression I got thanks to the TV show was so strong that when I heard Chandler allegations a few month ago, I didn’t believe at all. I immediately thought it was an extortion affair, nothing else. For me it was impossible to think that such a nice person could hurt anyone, especially not children.

Not only me, but all the people around me, MJ fans or not, who watched Michael on Oprah was thinking the same way. They realized this American Pop Star was a very nice person. So they didn’t believe in Chandler at all, I remember they were saying it was unthinkable that someone so good like him would do such a thing and those who doubted were absolutely wrong, they are stupid and malignant.

Generally speaking, in our country, we don’t believe in US and UK media, especially their tabloid magazines, we despise people who read tabloids (including French ones) and believe in. (Another element to add is that in my country there are very few people able to follow information in English, our English skills are very limited in general.)

I think these are some of principal reasons explaining the difference between the reaction of people around me and people from other countries, including neighboring Belgium where Daryll was entering a painful period at that time. She wrote : “Being an MJ fan was NO fun in a school that didn't support Michael” while in my daughter’s schools, children were still learning to sing and dance Michael, and this also after the release of HIStory album.

I don’t know exactly the reaction of most people here in 2005. What is certain is that people around me were really skeptical about US media, they didn’t trust US&UK media, and they regarded Michael as a victim of the media, that's for sure.

The BOLD text got me :eek:

See, I told you guys, I live in the wrong :evil: country...
That would have been BLISS to go to a school where they ACCEPT Michael :bow:

Cause I still 'FEEL' that 'trauma' whenever I meet NEW people... I tend NOT to 'reveal' I'm an MJ fan at first... NOT that I'm not PROUD of Michael but just cause there is so much HATE here towards Michael... that once NEW people, colleagues for instance... "accept" the 'Michael part' MORE in me when they have seen the 'other' part of me :scratch:

With the second BOLD text, I can only say NOW... WOW, I :heart: France ;D if that's the way they 'FEEL' about Michael...

Then again, I must admit... 'adversity' and 'bullying' does have a POSITIVE affect too... My :wub: for Michael is there for UNBREAKABLE... cause I always had to PROVE my love for him... I always had to stand on the front line with 'pen and sword' as they say :cheeky:

Hi Daryll and Lateicia :)

I've been reading your conversations in these threads, but not responding for a few days. I love hearing what is has been like in other countries and I am honestly so surprised to learn there were countries that on the whole accept Michael! I agree with Daryll, I wish I could live in France!

In Canada... ugh this is true of so many things in our media relationship to the U.S., not just with Michael... Canada tries to be like a "mini U.S.A." Many Canadians don't like this at all, but most Canadians claim they don't like it. They say they believe we are a unique country and won't follow the U.S.A. just because they say something.But then they go home and watch the news on a Canadian network that is recycling the American news! And they just eat it up. They don't think twice, or ask questions about the source. I am saying this about "MOST Canadians" even though that might not be fair, it has been my experience though and it's the way I see it.

This is the way is was and still is for Michael here. It is hard to understand why his albums never sold as well here, maybe that is one of the reasons. But Canada is a country that stands for equality and acceptance... and so much of his music is about that! Who knows.

Anyway, I sometimes don't post even though I'm reading. As you know I'm still learning many things about myself over the past few months, sometimes it's inspiring and feels great! Other times, like the past few days, it's just really hard and confusing. :tonofbricks:I tend to get more reclusive and not talk during those times, but I want to make an effort to reach out more now that I have MJJC :heart:

Lark0016;3726733 said:
In Canada... ugh this is true of so many things in our media relationship to the U.S., not just with Michael... Canada tries to be like a "mini U.S.A."

France is the last country in the world that would be keen to a mini USA. People refuse in the systematical and obstinate way everything coming from America, (but in the most of cases, accept at the end ...)

Daryll748;3726662 said:
WOW, I :heart: France ;D
Lark0016;3726733 said:
I am honestly so surprised to learn there were countries that on the whole accept Michael! I agree with Daryll, I wish I could live in France!

As I wrote somewhere else, if I was in the USA, I could discover Michael much earlier. On this point I regret being in France. But as I'm in France, I don't used to believe in US & UK media and I was strongly suspicious of what I was hearing about Michael at that time, but I didn't even tried to read what was written in English. So thanks to the general trend of French people about foreign media, I kept believe in Michael’s goodness. This is a very positive point.

Daryll748;3726662 said:
I :heart: France ;D if that's the way they 'FEEL' about Michael...

I know the use of the verb 'feel' is a correct use in English in this context. But for French people, the word 'feel' doesn’t match at all to the context. Because for us it is not a matter of feelings, but a purely rational one.

Even if one says 'think', this is not enough, because the use of the verb 'think' in French in this context means 'I'm not sure, but it seems to me...'; so we say : 'I believe', 'I’m sure', 'I’m convinced, etc. we use more assertive expressions.

In fact, most French people didn’t know what was going on, they didn’t even care about. I can say they were in a state of ignorance.
It is often said that ignorance is guilty. But in this specific case regarding Michael, ignorance is a quite positive state. Knowing nothing is better than being misinformed or misunderstood, isn’t it?
:beatit: :smoothcriminal: :billiejean:

laeticia.fr;3726904 said:
I know the use of the verb 'feel' is a correct use in English in this context. But for French people, the word 'feel' doesn’t match at all to the context. Because for us it is not a matter of feelings, but a purely rational one.

Even if one says 'think', this is not enough, because the use of the verb 'think' in French in this context means 'I'm not sure, but it seems to me...'; so we say : 'I believe', 'I’m sure', 'I’m convinced, etc. we use more assertive expressions.

In fact, most French people didn’t know what was going on, they didn’t even care about. I can say they were in a state of ignorance.
It is often said that ignorance is guilty. But in this specific case regarding Michael, ignorance is a quite positive state. Knowing nothing is better than being misinformed or misunderstood, isn’t it?
:beatit: :smoothcriminal: :billiejean:

See; my 'job coach' keeps insisting I don't learn anything here and I should get out in the REAL world :beee: but you 'taught' me about 'customs' in your country... Thanks, I didn't know that yet...

France isn't really my FAVE country though cause of the 'language' :blush: I know some 'basic' French I learnt in School and that's all... English has like become my 'native' language though it should be 'Dutch' :scratch:

Well, I tend to use the word 'FEEL' a lot cause I'm a 'sensitive' person and I feel first and then 'think'... Thinking is for facts and statistics in my book and 'FEEL' is about emotions...

Indeed, sometimes NOT knowing is a BLESSING too... :blush:

"What you don't know, doesn't harm you" is a quote about this :mello:

Oh, the ONLY positive memory I have of the Dangerous period is... I went to get the CD Dangerous in the pouring rain... My mum thought I was out of my mind :tease: but DANGEROUS was the very first CD I got... I had Thriller and BAD on Vinyl...

Daryll748;3726915 said:
See; my 'job coach' keeps insisting I don't learn anything here and I should get out in the REAL world :beee: but you 'taught' me about 'customs' in your country... Thanks, I didn't know that yet...

France isn't really my FAVE country though cause of the 'language' :blush: I know some 'basic' French I learnt in School and that's all... English has like become my 'native' language though it should be 'Dutch' :scratch:

I believed that all Belgians people living in Flemish region were perfectly bilingual in Flemish & French. I also learned something here in the virtual world ;D

Anglo-Saxons use the verb 'feel' a thousand times more than us in French and sometimes it irritates me, because I forget culture difference. I have an example : I was terribly nervous listening to Katherine Jackson saying 'I feel', 'I feel', 'I feel' to witness her son’s innocence or to talk about something important about his son’s last days which wasn’t the matter of feelings at all. :bored2: I know of course she is an American and she speaks English, but I would have preferred on certain specific topics she would have used expressions like 'I'm sure', 'I’m confident that…', 'it is obvious…', 'The fact is that…', etc., instead of saying ‘I feel','I feel','I feel'... :bored:

Daryll748;3726915 said:
Oh, the ONLY positive memory I have of the Dangerous period is... I went to get the CD Dangerous in the pouring rain... My mum thought I was out of my mind :tease: but DANGEROUS was the very first CD I got... I had Thriller and BAD on Vinyl...

I have Dangerous album in audio cassette and CD. Of all MJ’s albums, Dangerous is the album I listened to most often. This album recall me better memories of my own life. :listeningtomusic

Anyway I never had any problem saying that I am a MJ fan at any time in my life, from the beginning until today. I tell everyone I am a MJ fan, I’m proud to be a fan and proud to say that. Nobody has ever been upset by my confession, even my lawyers and my doctors. :kickass:

I became a fan during Bad era but Dangerous is my favorite album ever. With all the buzz about Thriller and everything I think THIS is Michael's best album.

The album had still potential. Dangerous and perhaps Keep The Faith could have been released as singles - especially Dangerous SHOULD have been a single! What a great song! As well as Who Is It, Give In To Me, Will You Be There, In The Closet, Remember The Time, Jam, She Drives Me Wild.

Memories from Dangerous era?

I remember watching the Oprah interview. It was such a big deal for everyone around the world, because Michael had a reputation not to give interviews. It was the first time I have ever heard about Oprah, so she should thank Michael for her international fame!

I remember recording and watching the Bucharest concert all over and over again. I remember my grandma once watching it with me and it made her cry at the end, even though she knew nothing about Michael! The power of his music!

I was in high school during Dangerous era, and I remember this was the time when Nirvana and grunge was hip, so most of my classmates were into that music to look cool and to fit in. So Joe Vogel's article about Dangerous vs. Nevermind pretty much resonates with me.

I remember watching MTV and waiting for new MJ videos. It was before the YouTube era so it was always very exciting when they announced a new video from MJ would come.

I remember Who Is It, Jam, Black or White, Give In To Me, Heal The World being HUGE hits in Europe. LOL, I even remember Give In To Me beat Lenny Kravitz's Are You Gonna Go My Way for Nr 1 spot on MTV's European charts. (I don't know why this fact particularly stuck in my mind.)

Last edited:
I distincly remember watching the Black or White video on repeat in my house. I was three and my mom taped it for me because she saw how much I loved it. She says this was sometimes the only way she could get me to sit down and be calm. She taught me how to rewind it and I watched it for hours.

I distincly remember watching the Black or White video on repeat in my house. I was three and my mom taped it for me because she saw how much I loved it. She says this was sometimes the only way she could get me to sit down and be calm. She taught me how to rewind it and I watched it for hours.

Your mother was so nice. :heart: :heart:
And you shuld be cute and good at that time. :D
I got the impression that you were born to love Michael. :cheeky:

respect77;3727560 said:
I became a fan during Bad era

Me too !

but Dangerous is my favorite album ever.

Me too !!

With all the buzz about Thriller and everything I think THIS is Michael's best album.

Me too !!!

The album had still potential. Dangerous and perhaps Keep The Faith could have been released as singles - especially Dangerous SHOULD have been a single! What a great song! As well as Who Is It, Give In To Me, Will You Be There, In The Closet, Remember The Time, Jam, She Drives Me Wild.

I think exactly like you !!!!

I remember watching the Oprah interview. It was such a big deal for everyone around the world, because Michael had a reputation not to give interviews. It was the first time I have ever heard about Oprah, so she should thank Michael for her international fame!

Exactly !!!!!

I remember recording and watching the Bucharest concert all over and over again.

Me too !! as I’ve already write.

I think there should be thousands people like us !!! even if we count only Western European people !!
Dangerous era was really a great era. :clap:

I believed that all Belgians people living in Flemish region were perfectly bilingual in Flemish & French. I also learned something here in the virtual world ;D

Well, see I don't belong to ALL Belgian Peeps :tease:I'm exactly NOT like a 'typical' Belgian woman too... I just happen to live here :blink:
I 'lean' more to the "Anglo-Saxes" type as English is the language of my
:heart:

Another memory just popped up...

I remember that "Black or White" was on Number 1 for 'God knows how many weeks' here and I used to watch it on TV every Saturday in my FAVE pop program... I was exactly :blink: when it finally 'lost' it's first place as I was so used to watch Michael on Number ONE :bow:

Yeah, I really was. It was an instant thing. I have some pictures where I'm sitting in front of the TV with headphones on listening to the songs from ''Moonwalker'' and singing. What a crazy time that was...

I have some pictures where I'm sitting in front of the TV with headphones on listening to the songs from ''Moonwalker'' and singing. What a crazy time that was...

With your description, I see a little girl :girl_sigh: sitting in front of TV, :happytv fascinated by a beautiful American singer, :smoothcriminal: singing with him in foreign language. :girl_happy:

I don’t know whether the Super Bowl had been aired in my country. I don’t think so.
How could I miss it in January 1993?? Had I some trouble in my life at the moment ? I cannot remember. :mello:

I found a HQ complete version : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idg8TNknvDU&feature=related
In my opinion, Michael’s Super Bowl show should be aired and re-aired worldwide.

Anyway I'm glad there are more and more HQ & HD videos on YouTube. :D

I wish you all a Happy Easter with this video taken during Dangerous Era. :cheeky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUJpN2Vyo58

As for me, I’d spend a peaceful Easter weekend. But the news of Murray's interview on CNN made me literally sick. While reading the news I got major symptoms of a panic attack : heart palpitation, shortness of breath , choking feeling, cold sweat, incontrollable shaking, feeling of total loss of physical strength… :(

I might have a very bad Easter, but it doesn’t matter. I have no little children around me. But I really wish you a nice Easter Monday, especially if you are with little children (without thinking of Katherine’s lawsuit vs AEG or Murray’s interview ;D).

Back