Dangerous Tour planned songs

ChrisC;4275363 said:
In fact, the only live public performance we have of any of the Dangerous songs is Gone Too Soon for Clinton?

That’s something that I realised a few days ago. That from his post 80s work, only Gone Too Soon was performed live with live vocals. Scream and Dangerous were partially live at a concert during History tour, but that was due to playback issue, so I don’t count those.

I know MJ had health issues but I felt that he became too reliant on lip syncing his later material which is disappointing.

Nite Line;4275367 said:
That’s something that I realised a few days ago. That from his post 80s work, only Gone Too Soon was performed live with live vocals. Scream and Dangerous were partially live at a concert during History tour, but that was due to playback issue, so I don’t count those.

I know MJ had health issues but I felt that he became too reliant on lip syncing his later material which is disappointing.

“Black Or White” was performed live in Munich and London 1992 and then in “This Is It” too.

dethorro;4275369 said:
“Black Or White” was performed live in Munich and London 1992 and then in “This Is It” too.

I was waiting on that. Singing over the playback vocal is not live. This Is It is a rehearsal.

If you want to know what live is like, look at any song in the September '87 Yokohama show.

Will You Be There should have been sung live in concert at least once.

I was waiting on that. Singing over the playback vocal is not live. This Is It is a rehearsal.

If you want to know what live is like, look at any song in the September '87 Yokohama show.

I know what live singing is LOL I probably should have said WITH live vocals.

The playback in London especially, is extremely low (almost not there at all) so I count that as being sung at least partially live.

In Munich however, the playback didn't seem to kick in until the 'They print my message in the Saturday sun' verse.

And for 'This Is It': although a rehearsal, Michael Prince has stated that Michael wanted to sing live more and that he expressed that to him during rehearsals. So I believe that there is a chance that he would have maybe sung it live in London too (at least the verses).

In fact, the only live public performance we have of any of the Dangerous songs is Gone Too Soon for Clinton?

Heal The World in Bahamas in 1998 probably was fully live, but we don't have the full performance but just a short news report so i'm not 100% sure

You and I are going to go at this again haha.. I still firmly believe that at least the first verse of Black Or White was live without playback.

I wonder why Michael decided to sing over the playback for Black or White at Munich and London

For anyone who never knew this before, the band on the DWT did perform In The Closet as an instrumental interlude ONCE. It was because the female vocalist of the studio version- The Princess of Monaco- was in the crowd that night.

I am with Michael Jackson on that.

The fact that for his solo tours he kept his dance routines pretty much the same for certain songs and also that he did not really change the style of the effects and visuals of the songs' performances makes a lot of sense.

Look, for example, how unnatural and odd the ‘Black Or White’ performance is with the crane in Mexico (1993).

Many fans who attended that Dangerous concert were confused by that change and certainly wanted instead to see the expected, normal performance of that song.

There is another example (although not a tour) that clearly proves how the audience expects from him his old, established on stage dance routines that are tied with certain songs.

I am referring to the 2001 MSG performances that prove how the audience anticipates from him his old, established dance routines (such as, in ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’, or ‘Billie Jean’).

The audience's great reaction when he started performing his established dance routines (at MSG in 2001) leaves no room for doubt about that.

Also, it is not true that Michael Jackson wanted to sing live more for the ‘This Is It’ shows.

Michael Prince clearly exaggerates about that because (like some other people who worked on the preparations of those shows in 2009) he likes to portray a positive, healthy image of Michael Jackson during those rehearsals.

Also, Michael Jackson sings live ‘Will You Be There’ at the NAACP Image Awards in 1993 (that was the one and only time that he sang that song live on stage).

Nite Line;4275366 said:
I’ve to respectfully disagree. There was no fun in me watching Beat It at the Dangerous tour with him doing the same routine of coming to the stage via cherrypicker.

I don’t disagree that non fans attended Michael’s shows but majority in attendance would be his fans and I’m sure most of the fans would rather see him do songs that he hadn’t done live before.

If you were front row at Wembley in 1997 you would not have given a flying **** if he was lip synching or doing the old stuff. The magic only he had can't be replicated through a YouTube video of a concert.

You and I are going to go at this again haha.. I still firmly believe that at least the first verse of Black Or White was live without playback.

Even if the first verse is fully live, or the adlibs at the end are, or he sings White but not Black live - that isn't a live performance of a song.

Yokohama. That shows you everything you need to know.

Anything else is making excuses at best, or at worst clutching at straws.

We'll never know but I've always wondered how much of This Is It was gonna be sung live. I think Michael probably did plan to sing more than what he did on the HIStory Tour, so we would have gotten more vocals than what was on that tour. My guess is that This Is It would have been similar to the Dangerous Tour when it came to live singing.

Last edited:
We'll never know but I've always wondered how much of This Is It was gonna be sung live. I think Michael probably did plan to sing more than what he did on the HIStory Tour, so we would have gotten more vocals than what was on that tour. My guess is that This Is It would have been similar to the Dangerous Tour when it came to live singing.

Well Michael planned on doing Human Nature and I Just Can't Stop Loving You live for This Is It and he never lip-synced those songs, so I think This Is It would have featured slightly more live vocals than the History Tour.

lubyss;4275739 said:
yep, I´ve seen the rehearsal :)

Cprep20;4275798 said:

Themidwestcowboy;4275816 said:
Was Michael present at that rehearsal?

If Michael Jackson was present during that particular ‘In The Closet’ rehearsal depends on when exactly that particular rehearsal took place.

According to reliable information (confirmed also by Siedah Garrett who was there most of the time of those tour’s rehearsals), Michael Jackson was always present during the final days of the Dangerous Tour rehearsals (when the rehearsals were approaching the deadline of the first day of the Munich concert).

So, if that particular ‘In The Closet’ rehearsal (that these two posters saw) took place during one of those final days of the rehearsals, then Michael Jackson was present there and rehearsed that song.

Changes I’ll make to the Dangerous Setlist:

Jam - No Change
Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' - Replace with a medley of WBSS, Why You Wanna Trip On Me and In The Closet.
"Human Nature" - No Change.
"Smooth Criminal” - No Change.
"I Just Can't Stop Loving You” (with Siedah Garrett) - No Change
"She's Out of My Life"- Replace with Who Is It.
"I Want You Back" / "The Love You Save" / "I'll Be There" - Replace it with the Off the Wall medley.
"Thriller" - No change.
"Billie Jean" - No change.
"Working Day and Night" - Remove. Replace with Remember The Time.
"Beat It" - Beat It live was boring by Dangerous Tour. I would replace it with Give In To Me or a rock medley of Beat It, Dirty Diana and GITM.
"Will You Be There" - No Change.
Dangerous - No change.
"The Way You Make Me Feel" - No change.
"Bad" - No change.
"Black or White" - No change.
"Heal the World" - No change.
"Man in the Mirror - No change.

Nite Line;4275892 said:
Changes I’ll make to the Dangerous Setlist:

Jam - No Change
Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' - Replace with a medley of WBSS, Why You Wanna Trip On Me and In The Closet.
"Human Nature" - No Change.
"Smooth Criminal” - No Change.
"I Just Can't Stop Loving You” (with Siedah Garrett) - No Change
"She's Out of My Life"- Replace with Who Is It.
"I Want You Back" / "The Love You Save" / "I'll Be There" - Replace it with the Off the Wall medley.
"Thriller" - No change.
"Billie Jean" - No change.
"Working Day and Night" - Remove. Replace with Remember The Time.
"Beat It" - Beat It live was boring by Dangerous Tour. I would replace it with Give In To Me or a rock medley of Beat It, Dirty Diana and GITM.
"Will You Be There" - No Change.
Dangerous - No change.
"The Way You Make Me Feel" - No change.
"Bad" - No change.
"Black or White" - No change.
"Heal the World" - No change.
"Man in the Mirror - No change.

Beat it just couldn't be taken out. It's 2 iconic & he has to have some type of j5 melody in there. Off the wall was only about 12y.o at the time so no sense of a melody when he can do something in full. Everything else i agree

mj_frenzy;4275886 said:
If Michael Jackson was present during that particular ‘In The Closet’ rehearsal depends on when exactly that particular rehearsal took place.

According to reliable information (confirmed also by Siedah Garrett who was there most of the time of those tour’s rehearsals), Michael Jackson was always present during the final days of the Dangerous Tour rehearsals (when the rehearsals were approaching the deadline of the first day of the Munich concert).

So, if that particular ‘In The Closet’ rehearsal (that these two posters saw) took place during one of those final days of the rehearsals, then Michael Jackson was present there and rehearsed that song.

Ok, but this doesn’t answer the question.

mj_frenzy;4275886 said:

But Michael was also present at the May 1992 rehearsals which happened more than a month before the start of the tour.

If he was present at that one I believe there is a possibility that he may have attended some other early ones too.

I wonder why Beat It was removed from the 1993 shows. Some say it was because of the false allegations at the time, and Michael wasn't mentally fit enough to pull off such a high energy performance of WDAN and Beat It. And others have said Beat It was removed because Michael didn't like how the guitars were sounding.

Knowing what Michael was going through at that time, the 1993 shows are very hard to watch

analogue;4275964 said:
I wonder why Beat It was removed from the 1993 shows. Some say it was because of the false allegations at the time, and Michael wasn't mentally fit enough to pull off such a high energy performance of WDAN and Beat It. And others have said Beat It was removed because Michael didn't like how the guitars were sounding.

Knowing what Michael was going through at that time, the 1993 shows are very hard to watch

The removal of ‘Beat It’ (and ‘Working Day And Night’) of the 1993 Dangerous concerts had nothing to do with these two songs being energy demanding.

Look at ‘Wanna Be Startin' Somethin’ and ‘Smooth Criminal’ for example, which remained for the 1993 leg of the tour, and they both were songs that required from him even higher energy to perform them on stage.

The removal of ‘Beat It’ and ‘Working Day And Night’ comes down to Jennifer Batten’s decision to quit performing with Michael Jackson on stage.

Jennifer Batten’s guitar abilities and also on stage presence were crucial and an integral part to those two songs (‘Beat It’, ‘Working Day And Night’), so her absence led to these two songs being dropped off.

Jennifer Batten’s absence was because she wanted to pursue her own career by releasing at the time even her solo records.

Michael Jackson was inconsolable by her absence from the 1993 leg, and without having any other equal to her replacement option, he had to eventually remove those two songs.

dethorro;4275937 said:
But Michael was also present at the May 1992 rehearsals which happened more than a month before the start of the tour.

If he was present at that one I believe there is a possibility that he may have attended some other early ones too.

Yes, but there is a very slight possibility that he may have attended some other early rehearsals, too.

As Jim Morey (Michael Jackson’s manager at the time) also stated, for both the Dangerous and the HIStory tour Michael Jackson was for the most part not present during the early rehearsals of those two tours.

dethorro;4275937 said:

Yes, but there is a very slight possibility that he may have attended some other early rehearsals, too.

As Jim Morey (Michael Jackson’s manager at the time) also stated, for both the Dangerous and the HIStory tour Michael Jackson was for the most part not present during the early rehearsals of those two tours.

Back