Detailed list of unreleased songs that could be released

ITB was recorded during HIStory sessions. SS was chosen due to limited times restrictions only - it was the most completed song, so only little production (and hence time) was needed.

That's what I was going to say. Superfly Soul Sister came from the Dangerous sessions and was probably way more complete than In The Back.

Where is the info regarding We've Had Enough from? A duet between MJ and Janet? Never heard about that before. WHE does not strike me as a duet-kind-of-song? Would they just sing a verse on their own? like Hold my Hand?

I really love We've Had Enough - no matter what I would prefer it as a MJ solo song. - Hope it gets a proper release one day.

That's what I was going to say. Superfly Soul Sister came from the Dangerous sessions and was probably way more complete than In The Back.

In The Back is AMAZING, it's a pity there's no finished version but at least we have the demo which it's still great in its unfinished form. So yeah, give us the demos, however unfinished they are!

Some (sadly) necessary corrections.

mj_frenzy;4282565 said:
‘In The Back’ belongs to the ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ era, it is an outtake from that album, but it was replaced by ‘Superfly Sister’ on the album.

"Superfly Sister" was chosen over "Seven Digits," not "In the Back." Michael and Bryan Loren brought both songs to the table, but "Superfly Sister" was practically finished (other than the guitar lines and some additional vocals) whereas "Seven Digits" would have required a top-to-bottom new vocal.

Additionally, it's unclear when "In the Back" was recorded. Mike Smallcombe says 1994, and Joseph Vogel has said both 1994 and 1997.

‘In The Back’ did not eventually make the ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ album because, firstly that album had to have only (as the album’s title suggests) fast-paced and dance songs whereas ‘In The Back’ had a rather catatonic musical tempo, and secondly because ‘In The Back’ would have been too much as another one dark-themed addition next to the already four other dark-themed new songs on the album.

While I agree that "In the Back" would've stuck out like a sore thumb on Blood on the Dance Floor, your phrasing here implies as though this was the true reasoning behind its rejection.

‘All In Your Name’, which exists also as ‘Prayer For Peace’, was recorded after 2001.

"All in Your Name" and "Pray for Peace" are two separate songs, the latter of which is a Brad Buxer collaboration. Fans weren't sure of the Barry Gibb collaboration title until it was finally released; I vaguely recall the title "Carry On" also making the rounds.

‘Seeing Voices’ had already been a fully finished and mixed song by May (1999), when it was played during a gathering of friends at the invitation of Michael Jackson.

"Seeing Voices" was recorded with Matt Forger in late 1997 at the behest of orchestrator Sidney Fine (who wrote the song), and premiered at a small ceremony on 28 May 1999 at the Ventura Club in Sherman Oaks, California. Fine orchestrated the event, and Michael wasn't in attendance.

‘We've Had Enough’ [...] was originally conceived as a duet between Michael Jackson and his sister Janet Jackson with plans for a stand-alone single release of that duet song.

This is an unsubstantiated rumor.

Additionally, it's unclear when "In the Back" was recorded. Mike Smallcombe says 1994, and Joseph Vogel has said both 1994 and 1997.

If that was the case in 1997, then I assume it would have been recorded in late 1997 after the last HTW concert in South Africa.

AlwaysThere;4282673 said:
"Superfly Sister" was chosen over "Seven Digits," not "In the Back." Michael and Bryan Loren brought both songs to the table, but "Superfly Sister" was practically finished (other than the guitar lines and some additional vocals) whereas "Seven Digits" would have required a top-to-bottom new vocal.

While I agree that "In the Back" would've stuck out like a sore thumb on Blood on the Dance Floor, your phrasing here implies as though this was the true reasoning behind its rejection.

Fuzball;4282600 said:
ITB was recorded during HIStory sessions. SS was chosen due to limited times restrictions only - it was the most completed song, so only little production (and hence time) was needed.

dethorro;4282613 said:

Fuzball;4282674 said:
If that was the case in 1997, then I assume it would have been recorded in late 1997 after the last HTW concert in South Africa.

The recording of ‘In The Back’ began in 1994, and the song was finished and mixed some time before the release of the ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ album.

Also, here is the proof that ‘In The Back’ is an outtake from that album: early press releases of the ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ album include ‘In The Back’ (in the place of ‘Superfly Sister’) on the album’s track list.

It is true, however, that they kept polishing and slightly improving ‘In The Back’ until 2004.

"All in Your Name" and "Pray for Peace" are two separate songs, the latter of which is a Brad Buxer collaboration. Fans weren't sure of the Barry Gibb collaboration title until it was finally released; I vaguely recall the title "Carry On" also making the rounds.

Barry Gibb revealed in 2005 (October) that ‘All In Your Name’ was the original title of the ‘Prayer For Peace’ song.

Hess;4282615 said:
Where is the info regarding We've Had Enough from? A duet between MJ and Janet? Never heard about that before. WHE does not strike me as a duet-kind-of-song? Would they just sing a verse on their own? like Hold my Hand?

I really love We've Had Enough - no matter what I would prefer it as a MJ solo song. - Hope it gets a proper release one day.

This is an unsubstantiated rumor.

It was reported that ‘We've Had Enough’ was originally conceived as a duet between Michael Jackson and his sister Janet Jackson with plans for a stand-alone single release of that duet song.

The song (as a duet) had originally different lyrics/theme, and it focused on the way media have been mistreating the Jackson family.

Later, that idea of a duet was entirely abandoned, and Michael Jackson recorded it as a solo song (for his ‘Invincible’ album) with a more general, social lyrical theme.

IMWhizzle;4282542 said:
I know that he told that in the interview, but we all know Michael loved to exaggerate things. I want to know if there is actual recorded stuff, that is different than drafts or ideas.

dethorro;4282571 said:
What he meant was most certainly song ideas, song sketches, rough demos and finished songs.
There aren't 100 finished songs left over from the Invincible era or from any era for that matter.

The number of more than 100 unreleased songs (from the ‘Invincible’ album sessions) is not an exaggeration.

Many of them were of course demos, but as also Bruce Swedien emphatically remarked, Michael Jackson’s demos from that era (1997 - 2001) could easily be considered songs in a releasable state of completion for other artists.

Bruce Swedien said that because he was aware of the high quality (in terms of vocals, production, etc) of these demos.

Doesn't make sense to me that In The Back was finished yet they released a demo on which MJ barely says a word.

Fuzball;4282674 said:

According to Joseph Vogel, it was recorded in January 1997 in Switzerland, alongside "Blood on the Dance Floor." Vogel has also said, though, that it was one of a bunch of demos done in 1994 with Brad Buxer, which Mike Smallcombe later echoed.

mj_frenzy;4282675 said:
The recording of ‘In The Back’ began in 1994, and the song was finished and mixed some time before the release of the ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ album.

Also, here is the proof that ‘In The Back’ is an outtake from that album: early press releases of the ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ album include ‘In The Back’ (in the place of ‘Superfly Sister’) on the album’s track list.

It is true, however, that they kept polishing and slightly improving ‘In The Back’ until 2004.

Could you provide some of those early press releases? I've never seen them.

It was reported that ‘We've Had Enough’ was originally conceived as a duet between Michael Jackson and his sister Janet Jackson with plans for a stand-alone single release of that duet song.

The song (as a duet) had originally different lyrics/theme, and it focused on the way media have been mistreating the Jackson family.

Later, that idea of a duet was entirely abandoned, and Michael Jackson recorded it as a solo song (for his ‘Invincible’ album) with a more general, social lyrical theme.

Could you also provide some of these reports?

The number of more than 100 unreleased songs (from the ‘Invincible’ album sessions) is not an exaggeration.

Many of them were of course demos, but as also Bruce Swedien emphatically remarked, Michael Jackson’s demos from that era (1997 - 2001) could easily be considered songs in a releasable state of completion for other artists.

Bruce Swedien said that because he was aware of the high quality (in terms of vocals, production, etc) of these demos.

Swedien wasn't nearly as hands-on with Invincible as he was with Michael's previous albums: he was only present between September-December 2000 (at which time he strictly mixed existing material as opposed to assisting in creating new music) and May-June 2001 (where Michael and Rodney Jerkins almost exclusively worked on previously-recorded songs, with a few exceptions). It's easy to believe he would hear early cuts from Bad or Thriller because he was there constantly. This isn't the case for Invincible, so I highly doubt he would offer those sentiments.

And I'll reiterate: just because people say Michael's demos were often in advanced states of completion does not mean that EVERY SONG WRITTEN for an album is a fully fleshed-out track. Songs like "In the Back," "Beautiful Girl," and "Free" prove that.

mj_frenzy;4282675 said:

Barry Gibb revealed in 2005 (October) that ‘All In Your Name’ was the original title of the ‘Prayer For Peace’ song.

1st: Where is your so called proof regarding ITB? Where is a source for that fact? Where was this stated? Who said that? Or where is a picture of an "early press release" with ITB in the tracklist of BOTDF?

2nd: Where is the quote of Barry Gibb's revelation regarding AIYN = PFP? Where is the source?

3rd: Same goes for WHE duet with Janet! Where is are your sources? Quotes? Where does this come from?

4th: When & where Bruce Swedien said something along those lines: The quality of vocals/production regarding 100 of demos for Invincible?

You should consider to not state your opinion (or fantasies) as fact. Provide proof. Cite sources of when & where something was said by whom.
Generally provide sources.

3qi1a9.jpg

AlwaysThere;4282681 said:
According to Joseph Vogel, it was recorded in January 1997 in Switzerland, alongside "Blood on the Dance Floor." Vogel has also said, though, that it was one of a bunch of demos done in 1994 with Brad Buxer, which Mike Smallcombe later echoed.

Could you provide some of those early press releases? I've never seen them.

Could you also provide some of these reports?

Swedien wasn't nearly as hands-on with Invincible as he was with Michael's previous albums: he was only present between September-December 2000 (at which time he strictly mixed existing material as opposed to assisting in creating new music) and May-June 2001 (where Michael and Rodney Jerkins almost exclusively worked on previously-recorded songs, with a few exceptions). It's easy to believe he would hear early cuts from Bad or Thriller because he was there constantly. This isn't the case for Invincible, so I highly doubt he would offer those sentiments.

And I'll reiterate: just because people say Michael's demos were often in advanced states of completion does not mean that EVERY SONG WRITTEN for an album is a fully fleshed-out track. Songs like "In the Back," "Beautiful Girl," and "Free" prove that.

MJJuniorSinceMW;4282682 said:
1st: Where is your so called proof regarding ITB? Where is a source for that fact? Where was this stated? Who said that? Or where is a picture of an "early press release" with ITB in the tracklist of BOTDF?

2nd: Where is the quote of Barry Gibb's revelation regarding AIYN = PFP? Where is the source?

3rd: Same goes for WHE duet with Janet! Where is are your sources? Quotes? Where does this come from?

4th: When & where Bruce Swedien said something along those lines: The quality of vocals/production regarding 100 of demos for Invincible?

You should consider to not state your opinion (or fantasies) as fact. Provide proof. Cite sources of when & where something was said by whom.
Generally provide sources.

‘In The Back’ was not recorded in January 1997.

Joseph Vogel simply refers to some slight additional work done on that song that took place during that session (in January 1997).

Various sources have mentioned that the ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ album was initially being announced (through early press releases) with ‘In The Back’ on the album’s track list, in the place of the ‘Superfly Sister’ song.

Barry Gibb gave an interview in 2005 (October) and he clarified some things concerning the ‘Prayer For Peace’ song.

One of those things is that ‘All In Your Name’ was actually the original title of the ‘Prayer For Peace’ song.

The song was recorded in Barry Gibb’s house in Miami (Florida) during the second half of 2002.

Unfortunately, the link of that interview seems to be currently unavailable, but that information (about the song’s two titles) has also been re-posted and confirmed on various Michael Jackson-related blogs.

About ‘We've Had Enough’, some reports (in printed form) stated that Michael Jackson originally wanted to use that song as a follow-up duet with his sister Janet Jackson (after ‘Scream’).

Whenever I read about all these unreleased songs, it's always a great insight. Does anyone remember around Bad 25 when the tracklist was announced, how nobody knew anything about I'm So Blue and Song Groove, in fact nobody ever even heard about those titles. I imagine there must be some songs like that in the vault.
At least I hope so because it was exciting hearing those songs, they really were like forgotten treasures

Whenever I read about all these unreleased songs, it's always a great insight. Does anyone remember around Bad 25 when the tracklist was announced, how nobody knew anything about I'm So Blue and Song Groove, in fact nobody ever even heard about those titles. I imagine there must be some songs like that in the vault.
At least I hope so because it was exciting hearing those songs, they really were like forgotten treasures

I had the same excitement in 2014 when the Xscape tracklist had revealed the previously unknown 'Loving You'.

mj_frenzy;4282734 said:
‘In The Back’ was not recorded in January 1997.

Joseph Vogel simply refers to some slight additional work done on that song that took place during that session (in January 1997).

I’m currently holding the most recent copy of his book, wherein he often cites specific months (and even dates) when songs were recorded. The book says, and I quote, “The 1997 demo, recorded in Switzerland...” He isn’t a seamless source by any means, but given that he has more resources than anyone here, it’s at least worth entertaining his comments. At this point, it’s up to Michael Prince or Brad Buxer to definitively date the track.

As for the rest of your post, you continue to say “various sources” without providing any. This does not indicate irrevocable proof, especially if you cannot name the source.

I had the same excitement in 2014 when the Xscape tracklist had revealed the previously unknown 'Loving You'.

Yeah I was the exact same, I remember it was exciting because it was so unknown. I remember reading the press listening sessions and trying to work out what track 3 was called. It went from being She Was Lovin' Me (when we didn't know it was renamed Chicago) to be an Off The Wall track, at one point someone thought it was a new version of Who's Loving You, then I think it was Joe Vogel who confirmed it was called Loving You. Then it was all the speculation about what era it was from. When we found out it was a Bad era demo I was over the moon. What a track, I remember staying up all night with my girlfriend to hear it when it premiered. What a time to be a fan.
Of course we all miss the days when Mike was here but now I miss the days when we would get excited about a new release and nothing else

AlwaysThere;4282757 said:
I’m currently holding the most recent copy of his book, wherein he often cites specific months (and even dates) when songs were recorded. The book says, and I quote, “The 1997 demo, recorded in Switzerland...” He isn’t a seamless source by any means, but given that he has more resources than anyone here, it’s at least worth entertaining his comments. At this point, it’s up to Michael Prince or Brad Buxer to definitively date the track.

As for the rest of your post, you continue to say “various sources” without providing any. This does not indicate irrevocable proof, especially if you cannot name the source.

Okay.

But that particular Joseph Vogel’s quote flies in the face of what other sources have stated about that song (that ‘In The Back’ was recorded in 1994).

Note also that some of these sources have placed the recording of ‘In The Back’ between 1994-2004, indicating that 1994 was the year that the song was recorded and then it was subjected to additional, slight improvements in the following decade.

One of these sources is also the American female author Kit O'Toole, who writes in her book (‘Michael Jackson FAQ: All That's Left To Know About the King Of Pop’, released in 2015) that ‘In The Back’ was recorded in 1994 and Michael Jackson returned to it during the ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ era (apparently in January 1997) for additional, minor improvements.

Kit O'Toole in her book places also the recording of the song in 1994-2004, not in 1997-2004 as Joseph Vogel suggests in his book.

Bad era? I had no clue. I thought this was 90s or 2000 mj. I honestly believed the estate messed with the original track which is what we hear. It's something out of place with it. Just like dykwyca has a different version from what was previously leaked

Bad era? I had no clue. I thought this was 90s or 2000 mj. I honestly believed the estate messed with the original track which is what we hear. It's something out of place with it. Just like dykwyca has a different version from what was previously leaked

The track is indeed an Bad era recording, precisely from 1985. What do you mean with 'it's messed up and out of place'?

The earlier leaked DYKWYCA was just an remix made for 2010s MICHAEL.

mj_frenzy;4282779 said:
Note also that some of these sources have placed the recording of ‘In The Back’ between 1994-2004, indicating that 1994 was the year that the song was recorded and then it was subjected to additional, slight improvements in the following decade.

One of these sources is also the American female author Kit O'Toole, who writes in her book (‘Michael Jackson FAQ: All That's Left To Know About the King Of Pop’, released in 2015) that ‘In The Back’ was recorded in 1994 and Michael Jackson returned to it during the ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ era (apparently in January 1997) for additional, minor improvements.

Kit O'Toole in her book places also the recording of the song in 1994-2004, not in 1997-2004 as Joseph Vogel suggests in his book.

O’Toole’s ten-year estimate is sourced from the liner notes of The Ultimate Collection, which is notoriously incorrect. It earmarks “Someone Put Your Hand Out” as having been recorded in April 1992 (which it wasn’t; it was recorded in 1991 and FINISHED in April 1992) and “Unbreakable” as having been recorded in 2002 (a year after Invincible was released).

Several songs are given seemingly random estimates as to when they were recorded, so by no means is that booklet meant to be taken as the final word.

SmoothCriminal1995;4282778 said:
Yeah I was the exact same, I remember it was exciting because it was so unknown. I remember reading the press listening sessions and trying to work out what track 3 was called. It went from being She Was Lovin' Me (when we didn't know it was renamed Chicago) to be an Off The Wall track, at one point someone thought it was a new version of Who's Loving You, then I think it was Joe Vogel who confirmed it was called Loving You. Then it was all the speculation about what era it was from. When we found out it was a Bad era demo I was over the moon. What a track, I remember staying up all night with my girlfriend to hear it when it premiered. What a time to be a fan.
Of course we all miss the days when Mike was here but now I miss the days when we would get excited about a new release and nothing else

I remember this clearly! Some online Sony store was dropping new tracks daily, and I was trying to hold out because “Loving You” was one of the only NEW songs. But I broke, and I fell in LOVE with it—the harmonies, the melody, his vocals, the production... everything was top-tier. And I was over the MOON when I heard the demo!

It’s songs like these that do instill SOME hope in me that the vault is deeper than we think. Before 2014, none of us knew that Loving You existed. While I err on the side of caution, I hope there are many more tracks like that.

The track is indeed an Bad era recording, precisely from 1985. What do you mean with 'it's messed up and out of place'?

The earlier leaked DYKWYCA was just an remix made for 2010s MICHAEL.

I mean that the chrous seems looped & they're aren't any background vocals. I don't think it was originally the way we hear it. & the leaked version that came out in 08 or whenever doesn't sound like the "original version" on the 2010 album

AlwaysThere;4282801 said:
O’Toole’s ten-year estimate is sourced from the liner notes of The Ultimate Collection, which is notoriously incorrect. It earmarks “Someone Put Your Hand Out” as having been recorded in April 1992 (which it wasn’t; it was recorded in 1991 and FINISHED in April 1992) and “Unbreakable” as having been recorded in 2002 (a year after Invincible was released).

Several songs are given seemingly random estimates as to when they were recorded, so by no means is that booklet meant to be taken as the final word.

AlwaysThere, you continue contradicting yourself.

You claim in this thread that ‘In The Back’ was recorded in 1997, when you have already described in the past ‘In The Back’ as an outtake from the ‘HIStory’ era (recorded in 1994).

Here is one example:

AlwaysThere;3956451 said:
The bulk of HIStory's outtakes, unfortunately, have already been released. Morphine, Ghosts/Is It Scary, Much Too Soon, On the Line, In the Back, etc.

Michael didn't leave behind much usable material from those sessions. Of the forty or fifty songs he worked on, he only completed fourteen and left dozens of others incomplete. There are, of course, a few usable songs left (including the infamous Innocent Man), though I wouldn't expect them to pop up. The Estate is conserving material as much as possible, and given that the HIStory vault is almost empty, they probably won't bargain on releasing much.

Additionally, don't listen to people if they tell you about songs like Fear or Face or Bassouille. None of them actually exist. Unless Michael recorded them at Neverland and told no one about them, they're fake.

Here is another example.

You wrote elsewhere (not in MJJCommunity) that ‘In The Back’ belongs to the 'HIStory' era again, stating explicitly that 1994 is the year of its recording:

“HIStory (1994-1997)

Bassouille (1994)
Elizabeth, I Love You (1996)
Face (1994)
Ghosts (1994)
In the Back (1994)
Morphine (1994)
Much Too Soon (1994)
On the Line (1995)
”

Or, here is what you again wrote elsewhere (not in MJJCommunity):

“HIStory (1992-1995)

• "Innocent Man" (spring 1994) (M. Jackson)
• "Much Too Soon" (spring 1994) (M. Jackson)
o (Original demo, _:__)
o (2010 John McClain remix, 2:49) Michael

• "Faces" (1994) (N. Mandela, M. Jackson)
Spoken word piece
o (5:57)
(Snippet, 0:48) 1 August 2017

• "In the Back" (1994) (M. Jackson)
Scratch vocals throughout
o (4:31) The Ultimate Collection
"

Also, your contradictions are not limited to the ‘In The Back’ song.

You state, for example, that ‘Bassouille’ and ‘Face’ are fake songs in your first post (i.e., they never existed), only to contradict yourself again in your following two posts.

Context probably matters, how long ago did Always There say those things? Or are you just gonna keep quoting things that were clearly said when we had generally less info? You are the one that keeps saying things without even providing a source, and then totally ignoring when people ask where you got your info from.

Last edited:
I used to get banned quite often here for the stupidest pettiest things & this dude frenzy survives with all the lies??*???

mj_frenzy;4282892 said:

You claim in this thread that ‘In The Back’ was recorded in 1997, when you have already described in the past ‘In The Back’ as an outtake from the ‘HIStory’ era (recorded in 1994).

Here is one example:

Here is another example.

You wrote elsewhere (not in MJJCommunity) that ‘In The Back’ belongs to the 'HIStory' era again, stating explicitly that 1994 is the year of its recording:

“HIStory (1994-1997)

Bassouille (1994)
Face (1994)
Ghosts (1994)
In the Back (1994)
Morphine (1994)
Much Too Soon (1994)
On the Line (1995)
”

“HIStory (1992-1995)

Spoken word piece

"

You state, for example, that ‘Bassouille’ and ‘Face’ are fake songs in your first post (i.e., they never existed), only to contradict yourself again in your following two posts.

Ok but can you please provide the picture with the alternate tracklist for BOTDF with In the back?

mj_frenzy;4282892 said:

Here is one example:

Here is another example.

HIStory (1994-1997)

Bassouille (1994)
Face (1994)
Ghosts (1994)
In the Back (1994)
Morphine (1994)
Much Too Soon (1994)
On the Line (1995)

HIStory (1992-1995)

Spoken word piece

"

Could you stop showing us all of the times that AlwaysThere has contradicted him/herself or was wrong and actually provide us the sources that we’ve been asking for?
For example.....I’d like to see the supposed early press releases of BOTDF with In The Back in the track list.

Big ups to SmoothGangsta and dethorro for the backup. Grade-A users :)

mj_frenzy;4282892 said:

Again, the comment you quoted was from six years ago. This 1997 revelation came five months ago.

I will never deny that I have gotten things wrong in the past for several reasons, not least of which being the habit of believing anything anybody told me and asserting my assumptions/opinions as absolute fact. Odds are, I will get things wrong in the future. But I've forced myself into severe caution whenever I'm discussing Michael's unreleased music, because it leads to several page arguments such as the one we're having.

I don't want to bog this thread down with arguments, nor do I want to keep battling you. I just want the focus to be on the FACTS.

You should consider to not state your opinion (or fantasies) as fact. Provide proof. Cite sources of when & where something was said by whom. Generally provide sources.

Exactly. that's what we been trying to tell this user but they won't stop. they a troll mj fan. there's nothing else to put it.

:shrugmeme:

Source source source

exactly.

Probably so. I hope so. that would be cool.

I loved Loving You. one of my favorite songs off the Xscape album.

Back