Did the 1979 "Disco Sucks" movement affect Michael?

I've seen OTW described as disco's last big send off. Not sure if it was included in the whole disco sucks movement but it seems to be a pretty well respected album and was as far as I know successful at the time (?).
It was mega. Seriously, it was everywhere. One of the biggest selling albums for 1980 in the UK and the US. It wasn't my cup of tea, tbh. But, jeez, it was SO successful.

I haven't read the rest of this thread so sorry if this has already been discussed.

I think OTW is pretty high tier when it comes to that type of music and stands out in that regard.
It really does. I don't wanna go on and on about it. Other people can speak up for it better than I can. But it was really significant. The dividing line between Michael with J5 or Jacksons and Michael on his own ... šŸ˜²

You know, I was
I was wondering, you know
If you could keep on
Because the force
It's got a lot of power
And it make me feel like, ah
It make me feel like, ooh

If you can start your album with this intro you know what youā€™re getting into. This was Michael saying ā€œhere I am, buckle up and enjoy my 80s, you ainā€™t seen nothing yetā€!

I've seen OTW described as disco's last big send off. Not sure if it was included in the whole disco sucks movement but it seems to be a pretty well respected album and was as far as I know successful at the time (?). I haven't read the rest of this thread so sorry if this has already been discussed.

I think OTW is pretty high tier when it comes to that type of music and stands out in that regard.
Depends on a few things. OTW homages disco, but it's a lot deeper than just disco. Real musicianship is in this record; it's so much more. And it's so consistent too; most artists strive to reach this peak; MJ basically got it on the first try and then just celebrated until the 90s.

Meanwhile, I've seen people who never regarded Michael Jackson much at all laud this album. They might purposefully ignore him post this album. I've told the story before of the two guys ranking their fav MJ songs; Literally just a bunch of the tracks from this album, and a couple from Thriller. Maybe one from Bad between both of those poor souls lol. Lotta cats like that. But definitely proves OTW evaded the "disco sucks".

Meanwhile, it feels like we're in a new era of Disco. Only now disco of today feels like it owes so much of itself to Off The Wall, so MJ basically reinvented it in his image in a lotta ways.

The disco demolition definitely killed the Bee Gees career in the USA, they seemed to be banned from the radio with their own records. But the Gibb brothers had some hits writing for other acts, like the Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton duet Islands In The Stream. Donna Summer had a hard time too, but she had a brief comeback with She Works Hard For The Money. Disco in itself hurt the careers of a lot of veteran R&B/soul singers who couldn't or wouldn't adapt to it in the 1970s. Some labels stopped signing them to sign disco singers & bands instead.

Technically disco didn't really go away, it was just renamed "dance music" in the 1980s. The 1980s is when 12" remix maxi singles were the most popular. Most of the early hip hop songs were only released on maxi singles, because they were usually long songs, on average 7 to 10 minutes. Rapper's Delight from the Sugarhill Gang is 15 minutes long. Maxi singles & remixes are a product of disco, that's when they were invented in the mid-1970s.

The disco demolition definitely killed the Bee Gees career in the USA, they seemed to be banned from the radio with their own records. But the Gibb brothers had some hits writing for other acts, like the Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton duet Islands In The Stream. Donna Summer had a hard time too, but she had a brief comeback with She Works Hard For The Money. Disco in itself hurt the careers of a lot of veteran R&B/soul singers who couldn't or wouldn't adapt to it in the 1970s. Some labels stopped signing them to sign disco singers & bands instead.

Technically disco didn't really go away, it was just renamed "dance music" in the 1980s. The 1980s is when 12" remix maxi singles were the most popular. Most of the early hip hop songs were only released on maxi singles, because they were usually long songs, on average 7 to 10 minutes. Rapper's Delight from the Sugarhill Gang is 15 minutes long. Maxi singles & remixes are a product of disco, that's when they were invented in the mid-1970s.
True, 'Disco' just went on as 'House' and even 'Techno' and it served as one of the pillars of early Hip hop too

I've said it before i'll say it again, rock music fans are the snobbiest most pretentious of all music fans. Obviously not everyone etc and i don't like making generalizations, but for most of them this is the case, certainly in my experience. Most of their music is so poor anyway, it's just insecurity talking through actions. The whole concept of it feeds self obsession over imagery and lifestyle, i try and stay away from all that attitude, it's just pathetic.

I don't think it's to do with racism at all, i think it's more the fact they just think they're better than everyone else and they live the correct way to live.
To be fair, the snobbiness isnt entirely unwarranted. After the death of grunge, rock and metal was just never able to recoup the same amount of mainstream appeal that they had in the 70s and 80s as rappers, boy bands, pop princesses, and then eventually EDM and house music started to climb the charts in the 2000s and 2010s. A lot of metalheads feel like they've essentially been blackballed by the mainstream music industry, and while many have basically embraced becoming more of a counter-culture, many do resent other genres of music for replacing them, especially in the U.S as rock and metal still has somewhat of a decent sized following in Europe and South America.

Last edited:
I agree
I've said it before i'll say it again, rock music fans are the snobbiest most pretentious of all music fans. Obviously not everyone etc and i don't like making generalizations, but for most of them this is the case, certainly in my experience. Most of their music is so poor anyway, it's just insecurity talking through actions. The whole concept of it feeds self obsession over imagery and lifestyle, i try and stay away from all that attitude, it's just pathetic.

I don't think it's to do with racism at all, i think it's more the fact they just think they're better than everyone else and they live the correct way to live.
They are also the people who looked down on music fans of different genres and laughed with anyone who was into disco or soul music. But in the end it was all insecurity, they were afraid of women and they couldn't dance so they turned into rock fans and listened to bands with angst ridden lyrics.
They also went berserk when a rockbound tweaked their music to be more danceable (Kiss) or when a rock band embraced different genres (Queen), suddenly these bands were sell outs or weren't taken serious any longer. You can see this effect to this very day where those bands have relatively low average scores on music websites.

For some reason though it seems the white music writing press only seems to have eyes on rock music, literally every all time greatest album list is littered with 1970s rock albums. The likes of David Bowie, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin dominate these lists. For every soul or pop album in such list you find 10 rock or rock influenced albums. Maybe those critics were once the anxious, angry white men who can't dance and it still reflects in their music choice :p

PS my take on this is not debatable ;-)

I must be very lucky. All the people I've met in my life who love rock music are perfectly normal and don't spend their lives dissing other types of music. Partly bc they often love those other types of music just as much as rock.

I would make a distinction between the audience for rock music and the rock music press which is undoubtedly problematic.

A lot of metalheads feel like they've essentially been blackballed by the mainstream music industry, and while many have basically embraced becoming more of a counter-culture, many do resent other genres of music for replacing them, especially in the U.S as rock and metal still has somewhat of a decent sized following in Europe and South America.
For the most part regular heavy metal has never had mainstream popularity in the USA. It was glam metal bands like Def Leppard, Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Mƶtley CrĆ¼e, Warrant, Cinderella, Poison, etc. that got Top 40 airplay and had the big sales. The rock music press tended to put it down calling it "hair metal" or "metal for women" because of the power ballads & pretty boy singers. Or that they used makeup.

Dance music has always had mainstream popularity in the US. Early jazz was music that people danced to, until bop jazz came along which you couldn't dance to it and jazz started to become music that people just sat down and listen. Same for early rock n roll, people danced to it. During those decades, musicals with dancers and singers were popular (Ginger Rogers, Nicholas Brothers, Gene Kelly, etc). It was common for R&B and doo wop acts to dance or do steps like Jackie Wilson, The Temptations, Tina Turner &The Ikettes, James Brown, etc. Even some Black gospel groups did choreography.

Rock n roll is closely related to r&b, of course it was dance(able) music. Hair metal was never taken seriously by the snobbish rock fans because regular non rock loving people also liked these songs. Being into glam metal as a punk/hard rock/metal/prog rock fan was not done.

I remember a kid back then a couple of years older than me calling Michael Jackson music , faggot music, he himself was into the 90s rock scene with smashing pumpkins, pearl jam etc.

Back in the old days you just had to look at someone clothes and you could put a label on him. He was pop, he was disco, he was punk, he was metal. Those boxes are disappearing because todays youth is more open than youth in my days. In my days everybody was racist because that is when the 2nd generation immigrants started to make noise in the streets. The world was a lot more black or white in the past, now it has the rainbow colors dominating šŸ˜œ

Last edited:
It's also telling that in the USA, music originating from Black people are what became part of mainstream music (jazz, blues, gospel, rhythm & blues, rock n roll, hip hop, house, funk, disco), even if they bought it by white performers. Not necessarily the genres themselves, but the sound. Gospel and religious music has rarely been played on Top 40 radio. But without gospel, there is no R&B or rock n roll. Same for other things like fashion, slang words, and dances. Vogue dancing, made popular to the mainstream by Madonna's song, came from Black gay clubs. Even country music originally had blues elements in it mixed with European folk music. The banjo is an instrument that was brought over from Africa during the slave trade. Country (and some blues) also had elements from Hawaiian traditional music, which is where the pedal steel guitar & slide sounds came from.

Yeah, minorities and indigenous people had the largest influence on modern music. The trajectory of "first world music" was with Beethoven and Mozart and the like.

For the most part regular heavy metal has never had mainstream popularity in the USA. It was glam metal bands like Def Leppard, Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Mƶtley CrĆ¼e, Warrant, Cinderella, Poison, etc. that got Top 40 airplay and had the big sales. The rock music press tended to put it down calling it "hair metal" or "metal for women" because of the power ballads & pretty boy singers. Or that they used makeup.

Dance music has always had mainstream popularity in the US. Early jazz was music that people danced to, until bop jazz came along which you couldn't dance to it and jazz started to become music that people just sat down and listen. Same for early rock n roll, people danced to it. During those decades, musicals with dancers and singers were popular (Ginger Rogers, Nicholas Brothers, Gene Kelly, etc). It was common for R&B and doo wop acts to dance or do steps like Jackie Wilson, The Temptations, Tina Turner &The Ikettes, James Brown, etc. Even some Black gospel groups did choreography.

That's looking at it from today's perspective. Back in the 80s, if music was loud, had wicked fast guitar solos, thunderous drums, and a singer with long styled hair, it didn't matter if it was traditional, thrash, or glam, it fell under the "heavy metal" category, which to be fair did absolutley no favors for the genre, as you had guys like Ronnie James Dio and even DEE SNIDER who started the whole trend of cross-dressing and gender bending in heavy metal trash talking bands like Bon Jovi, Poison and Nelson. In fact Dio had gone on record as to say "MTV killed heavy metal."

For all the bellyaching that some right wing racist metalheads do about how "hoodrats" and "gangsters" killed heavy metal in the mainstream, the genre was on pretty shaky ground in it's prime.

For all the bellyaching that some right wing racist metalheads do about how "hoodrats" and "gangsters" killed heavy metal in the mainstream, the genre was on pretty shaky ground in it's prime.
According to the Rolling Stone magazines of the world, it was grunge that made glam metal obsolete practically overnight, not hip hop. There was a documentary on VH-1 called Metal Evolution that pretty much said the same thing. The early 1990s is when the few hard rock acts that still sold started to cut their hair like Bon Jovi & Metallica. Mƶtley CrĆ¼e fired Vince Neil and got John Corabi as their lead singer and changed their sound,

With hip hop, a lot of it was music that people danced to and it had fans of many races when metal mainly appealed to white males. Hip hop also influenced mainstream fashion in a way that no kind of metal ever did. So the same as always, dance music rules, lol. So did adult contemporary like Whitney Houston's Bodyguard soundtrack & Celine Dion. If metalheads blamed hip hop for killing metal in the mainstream, how do they explain the popularity of dance club music of the same time period like Ace Of Base, Crystal Waters, & KLF. In the USA, country was huge during the 1990s (Reba McEntire, Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Brooks & Dunn, etc). It was the popularity of Billy Ray Cyrus in the 1990s that his daughter has a career today and became bigger than he was.

Being into glam metal as a punk/hard rock/metal/prog rock fan was not done.
Except it was. It was quite normal.

I remember a kid back then a couple of years older than me calling Michael Jackson music , faggot music, he himself was into the 90s rock scene with smashing pumpkins, pearl jam etc.
There's always a d*ckhead somewhere. Doesn't mean all rock fans are equally d*ckheaded.

Back in the old days you just had to look at someone clothes and you could put a label on him. He was pop, he was disco, he was punk, he was metal. Those boxes are disappearing because todays youth is more open than youth in my days. In my days everybody was racist
I can't comment on Belgium but that's not the UK. Lots of appalling racism, sure, but not everyone.

It's also telling that in the USA, music originating from Black people are what became part of mainstream music (jazz, blues, gospel, rhythm & blues, rock n roll, hip hop, house, funk, disco), even if they bought it by white performers. Not necessarily the genres themselves, but the sound. Gospel and religious music has rarely been played on Top 40 radio. But without gospel, there is no R&B or rock n roll. Same for other things like fashion, slang words, and dances. Vogue dancing, made popular to the mainstream by Madonna's song, came from Black gay clubs. Even country music originally had blues elements in it mixed with European folk music. The banjo is an instrument that was brought over from Africa during the slave trade. Country (and some blues) also had elements from Hawaiian traditional music, which is where the pedal steel guitar & slide sounds came from.
Pretty much all US-originated styles of music are a mix of African/black and European/white music. I like to visualize it as a spectrum, with classical music on the most European end and traditional African music on the most African end.

Functional harmony (tonic, subdominant, dominant, etc...) is European. Most of the beats in pop/rock/disco/dance music are African (played on European instruments). Jazz harmony is a mix of the advanced chromaticism of European Romanticism with blue notes coming from the African tradition.

Some of MJ's stuff (Little Susie, Childhood, stuff in that vein) is on the extremely European side of the spectrum. Some (Shout, Money, 2 Bad, etc...) is far more African than European. In general, European music is based around functional harmony and goal-oriented chord progressions, African music is based around rhythmic loops. It's been years since I was in college (I have a music degree), but I took a lot of musicology classes there and we talked about African and European music and how American music is a combination of the two. Sorry if this is difficult to follow, I'm happy to clarify anything I am requested to.

More information at this link (I don't post on Quora, but there are some good explanations there):
Off The Wall isn't really fully "disco". It's more a mix of a "less intense" version of disco with funk and pop, with much better musicianship and production values than most disco.

I'd say of MJ's 3 Quincy Jones albums, Bad is the most dated-sounding, Thriller the least, and OTW is in the middle.

Pretty much all US-originated styles of music are a mix of African/black and European/white music. I like to visualize it as a spectrum, with classical music on the most European end and traditional African music on the most African end.
But what about the black composers of Classical Music? And obviously there are white Africans, they just don't seem to be talked about much.

Bad is the most dated-sounding
Production wise it's very late 80s but all of the melodies are timeless and great. And sonically so many of the sounds are interesting and unique.

Last edited:
But what about the African American composers of Classical Music? And obviously there are white Africans, they just don't seem to be talked about much.
I'm referring to music styles, tropes, and compositional techniques that originated from Africa and Europe, respectively. Black composers of classical music are still composing in a style of music that is European, just like the fact that some Japanese people have made western-style rock music doesn't make rock a Japanese genre, and George Harrison writing all those sitar/Indian pieces doesn't change the fact that that it is Indian music. It's not about the race of the individual writer/performer, it's about the culture that the style was developed in. Most of the jazz community is now white, that doesn't change the fact that jazz originated with black Americans.
The music of White Africans is stylistically similar to the music of other white, Western people. It's arguably less African-influenced than the music of white Americans. (White South African song from the 1970s)
Production wise it's very late 80s but all of the melodies are timeless and great. And sonically so many of the sounds are interesting and unique.
That's what I meant by dated sounding. Most of what dates music in the pop/rock genres is the production/instrumentation/arrangement. Granted, there are some exceptions to this, for example, Alice in Chains and other 90s grunge bands used dissonance and unusual intervals in a unique way (you could play "Angry Chair" with gated reverb and 80s synths, and it still wouldn't sound like 80s music, for example), but if you remixed "Off The Wall" with the production of "Bad", it would sound late 80s, and the same is true vice versa.

That said, I think Bad is a great album, it just sounds very of its time in a way Thriller doesn't. I love the 80s sound.

This is pretty interesting actually.
I'm referring to music styles, tropes, and compositional techniques that originated from Africa and Europe, respectively. Black composers of classical music are still composing in a style of music that is European
Well I was just confused by you saying black and white in connection with African/European. Though I understand now you're just making it easier to relate them for the audience reading this.

but if you remixed "Off The Wall" with the production of "Bad", it would sound late 80s, and the same is true vice versa.
Well, it's kinda just like Xscape, always the biggest go to. They contemporized, 80s, 90s, 2000s songs, to sound late 2010s. To varying degrees of effectiveness. I think a lot of MJs songwriting is flexible in this way.

BAD I think could easily be contemporized and feel like music written yesterday. OTW kinda already feels in trend and contemporary. Even performed live in the 80s it still would sound pretty fresh, Off The Wall and Rock With You at least. You could let Silk Sonic cover it and their cover wouldn't sound much fresher. It's just interesting to think about.

Now see, Dangerous and the New Jack Swing, and Invincibles very digital music, that's interesting also. Thriller is also quite timeless, I agree.

This is pretty interesting actually.
Thanks
Well, it's kinda just like Xscape, always the biggest go to. They contemporized, 80s, 90s, 2000s songs, to sound late 2010s. To varying degrees of effectiveness. I think a lot of MJs songwriting is flexible in this way.
I much preferred Michael to Xscape, Michael actually sounded like an MJ album, Xscape didn't.
BAD I think could easily be contemporized and feel like music written yesterday. OTW kinda already feels in trend and contemporary. Even performed live in the 80s it still would sound pretty fresh, Off The Wall and Rock With You at least. You could let Silk Sonic cover it and their cover wouldn't sound much fresher. It's just interesting to think about.
Agreed.
Now see, Dangerous and the New Jack Swing, and Invincibles very digital music, that's interesting also. Thriller is also quite timeless, I agree.
I think it could be easily contemporized if you gave it a different arrangement/production. Speechless is the most timeless thing on Invincible

Speechless is the most timeless thing on Invincible
That and Whatever Happens. Too compressed though.

Michael actually sounded like an MJ album, Xscape didn't.
It's on trend for Invincible era stuff though, it tricks my brain. Michael feels like half hearted MJ. Too many clunky spots still to me.

That and Whatever Happens. Too compressed though.
There's some weird effect on Michael's voice in WH, though. It almost sounds like Teddy Riley pitched it down or put some weird formant shifter on it.
It's on trend for Invincible era stuff though, it tricks my brain. Michael feels like half hearted MJ. Too many clunky spots still to me.
I didn't like most of the Timbaland remixes. I liked LNFSG, APWNN, and Xscape a lot.

Even with the fake Cascio tracks, Michael feels very much like an MJ album, you have the rock track (Another Day), the anti-paparazzi songs (Monster and Breaking News), the socially conscious ballad (Keep Your Head Up), uptempo dance tracks produced in an MJ style (Hollywood Tonight, Behind the Mask)

Xscape feels like a remix album to me. I preferred the 2010 versions of Slave to the Rhythm and Do You Know Where Your Children Are.

Back