Dirty Diana on HIStory?

I was wrong it is 9. Well it is 10 but that is because Michael gets a credit for “a brand new day” but I simply don’t hear him so I don’t count it. Or you could say 12 if one counts we are the world and can you feel it.

These are the others: one day in your life, billie jean, beat it, thriller, I just can’t stop loving you, bad, dirty diana, smooth criminal, black or white

32 top 10 hits in total. Even another part of me reached nr 3 here. What can I say, we love em lol
This is awesome! I am speechless! I'm going to absorb this slowly. For maximum enjoyment. :D

In most cases, it is. You can't even ascertain a song's "long-term popularity" when it came out only 3 years ago. All the more reason why "Heal the World" shouldn't have been on History as it was too recent.
Heal The World was a big hit as I already stated. It had every reason to be included on the greatest hits. Stop crying about its inclusion. It isn't a big deal.
But not "Heal the World" lol.

And the top 10 you're looking at isn't even the actual top 10 for MJ's songs:

"Chicago" isn't in the top 10. "Don't Matter to Me" is just a Drake song that samples MJ and thus shouldn't be counted. So really 60% of the top 10 are number ones. "Love Never Felt So Good" has recency bias; it's not more popular than "Bad", a number one, just because it has a few more million streams. Spotify isn't even the end-all, be-all and it didn't exist when History came out in 1995. How popular the songs are in 2023 is irrelevant.
In the top 10 you linked, it doesn't even list the songs by their daily listens. If it did, Don't Matter to Me wouldn't even be in the top 10 and Chicago will be.

Also, Dirty Diana gets less daily streams than Heal The World, according to your attached link of top MJ spotify songs.

US is the biggest country in the world.
What is this arrogance?

For the record I just checked the airplay on Belgian radio stations in the last 30 days. Dirty Diana got 1 spin, heal the world 5.
And as you all know Belgium is greatest country in the world.
Not gonna argue with that. Belgium is the headquarters of NATO!

Heal The World was a big hit as I already stated.
It wasn't and you've given no reason why it would be. Lol @ bringing up Spotify when it didn't even exist back in 1995.
It had every reason to be included on the greatest hits.
Not over songs that were bigger hits. "Dirty Diana" was the more well-known song at the time.
Stop crying about its inclusion.
Stop crying that someone thinks it should have been excluded.
In the top 10 you linked, it doesn't even list the songs by their daily listens. If it did, Don't Matter to Me wouldn't even be in the top 10 and Chicago will be.
Daily listens in 2023 alone matter more than total listens because you said so? Nah fam

"Heal the World" sucks

I guess in the light of the sleepovers and allegations, Dirty Diana didn't suit. That makes the most sense to me.
The same goes for Smooth Criminal.

Let's be honest about the 2 disc concept of the 'HIStory' album: it appears that the record company did not believe in the potential of the new songs, hence the inclusion of his classic hits which would boost sales of that album.

Especially, considering the negative reactions from record company's top executives right after listening to the new songs of the 'HIStory' disc 2 (as documented by Bruce Swedien in his book).
So in other words, it is unethical to release greatest hits compilations?
It is not unethical to release greatest hits compilations, simply because in that case a fan can choose whether to buy it or not.

But when you push the classic hits (on an entire disc) as a prerequisite for listening to the new songs (of the second disc), in that case it is unethical.
And besides, Heal The World was a personal favourite of Michael. That is probably a big reason why it was included, other than it being a big hit internationally.
'Heal The World' was included, as a closing track, apparently because of the accusations (i.e., it acted as an attempt to remind to people that Michael Jackson is a nice guy, in spite of what he is accused of).

'Heal The World' was included, as a closing track, apparently because of the accusations (i.e., it acted as an attempt to remind to people that Michael Jackson is a nice guy, in spite of what he is accused of).
In the same way Dirty Diana was left off, to not remind people of sleepovers and also Smooth Criminal, to not let them think he could be a criminal.

Let's be honest about the 2 disc concept of the 'HIStory' album: it appears that the record company did not believe in the potential of the new songs, hence the inclusion of his classic hits which would boost sales of that album.
I thought that History evolved out of MJ's original idea for a greatest hits album called "Decade" that went back to 1989. It was just going to have a few new songs, but MJ was so happy with "Stranger in Moscow" that he decided to make more a whole album worth of new music.

In the same way Dirty Diana was left off, to not remind people of sleepovers and also Smooth Criminal, to not let them think he could be a criminal.
One can even say that, for the same reason, the spoken intro of the 'I Just Can't Stop Loving You' song (on the 'HIStory' disc 1) was also left off.

I’ve wondered if HIStory as a standalone album would have actually sold higher amounts. The first 4 singles were very popular all over the world except the USA but they can be backwards 😜
Anyway I think it would have sold a lot more on the basis of just those 4 singles but I understand that the record company was jittery after the allegations so it makes sense.

Sales were also cut short with the release of BOTDF but I think promotion basically halted after stranger in moscow flopped so again I understand they stopped at 5 singles.

What I just remember is that both TDCAU and Earth Song became classics, I’m happy they’re still streaming big and getting regular airplay. The biggest seller of its day YANA didn’t become a classic, you just can’t predict these things

* I’m actually not sure about the status of YANA, what I think of it is based on the fact that it does not receive airplay anymore and that it is not available on’y countries spotify. It could well be different in other countries.

"Scream" and "You Are Not Alone" broke records in the US.

"Earth Song " wasn't released in the US because it was deemed unsuitable for American audiences.

"This Time Around" was only a promo single in the US.

"They Don't Care About Us" sold well in the US but radio stations refused to play it due to the controversy surrounding it's lyrics.

By the time Blood on the Dance Floor came out, two years had passed since the album was released; promo ended for the most part long before then.

It was dumb to release "Stranger on Moscow" in the US so long after it came out elsewhere. It came out in November 1996 worldwide, but not the US until July 1997. Of course it'd flop when buzz for the album had already ended.

It wasn't and you've given no reason why it would be. Lol @ bringing up Spotify when it didn't even exist back in 1995.#4
Some of the Heal The World chart positions:
Austria: #4
Belgium: #3
France: #2
Germany: #3
Ireland: #2
Italy: #8
Netherlands: #4
New Zealand: #3
Switzerland: #5
UK: #2

How is Heal The World not a hit single? Ops, I forget that it flopped in the mighty USA.
Not over songs that were bigger hits. "Dirty Diana" was the more well-known song at the time.
Not sure about that. Heal The World was performed on the more recently concluded Dangerous Tour, which Dirty Diana wasn't. Heal The World was also performed as the final number during Michael's high profile Superbowl performance, so I would say that in 1995, Heal The World was probably more well known.
Daily listens in 2023 alone matter more than total listens because you said so? Nah fam
Daily listens showcases the current popularity of songs.

Fam? We got a gangsta here everyone. :ROFLMAO:
"Heal the World" sucks
That is your opinion.

Some of the Heal The World chart positions:
Austria: #4
Belgium: #3
France: #2
Ireland: #2
Italy: #8
Netherlands: #4
New Zealand: #3
Switzerland: #5
UK: #2

How is Heal The World not a hit single?

Some of Dirty Diana chart positions:
Austria: #7
Belgium: #1
France: #9
Ireland: #3
Netherlands: #2
New Zealand: #5
Switzerland: #3
UK: #4

Didn't do as well in Italy, just as "Heal the World" didn't do as well in the US. But "Dirty Diana" flopping at No.18 in Italy is better than Heal the World" flopping at No.27 in the US.

So, which one deserved to be included more on a 1995 compilation? The one that was #1 in the United States on top of doing well in other countries in 1988 ... or the one that flopped in the US altogether and was only released 3 years earlier in 1992?

Dirty Diana > Heal the World.

Heal The World was performed on the more recently concluded Dangerous Tour, which Dirty Diana wasn't. Heal The World was also performed as the final number during Michael's high profile Superbowl performance, so I would say that in 1995, Heal The World was probably more well known.

Silly logic. By that logic, "Jam" was a more well known song than "Rock with You" because it was performed in the Dangerous tour and at the Super Bowl; "Rock with You" wasn't. Guess you should have swapped it out with "Jam" on History. Nah fam

Daily listens showcases the current popularity of songs.

And total tells you the all-time popularity, which is more relevant to the overall picture.

A song doesn't suddenly become more well-known than older hits just because it gets used in some random TikTok and briefly becomes a meme, which is one of the things that can cause the number of daily listens on Spotify to spike.

That is your opinion.

It's a fact that it's not as well-known as "Dirty Diana", though.

Last edited:
This discussion going on is so pathetic ffs 😂

For me the most important chart is the Belgian one and Michael has has been extremely successful here with 10 nr 1 hits only beaten by Abba with 14
Well, I mean, there and here, he is the most successful solo act of all time lol.

I guess in the light of the sleepovers and allegations, Dirty Diana didn't suit. That makes the most sense to me.
The same goes for Smooth Criminal.

You'd think they'd leave out "Little Susie" if that were the case.
One can even say that, for the same reason, the spoken intro of the 'I Just Can't Stop Loving You' song (on the 'HIStory' disc 1) was also left off.
This is why I actually hate Michael Jackson "fans". It's just, hilarious, y'all are literally gaslighting yourself into making up a scenario m. With the stupidest, flimsiest logic you can even make up. And this is how it's been going for the last 25 years. Actually embarrassing.

Kind of a random tangent, maybe a bit radical, but I wish we'd do some IP address scans or something. I'll never not believe some names aren't the same person as some other people we've met. I got another handle on here. It just happened. If you told me people make multiple accounts to troll, I'd believe it....

Kind of a random tangent, maybe a bit radical, but I wish we'd do some IP address scans or something. I'll never not believe some names aren't the same person as some other people we've met. I got another handle on here. It just happened. If you told me people make multiple accounts to troll, I'd believe it....
Me, of course :p

It's really so silly, actually, how much people read into this song.

Broke:
"It's about Diana Ross"
"It's about Princess Diana"

Woke:
It's about sleepovers with kids.

It's literally just Billie Jean Part 2 my guy. Turns out making her name Diana just makes it pop more.

@ChanceToDance already gave the correct answer right..? Also cutting the spoken intro for IJCSLY probably has more to do with him being embarrased about it, like it shows in his Molly Meldrum interview were he explained he recorded it lying in a bed imo

"Michael had considered following HIStory with a sequel album, HIStory Book II which engineer Rob Hoffman said would have followed a similar format, with both new songs and greatest hits. "It would have included more old hits because there were songs such as 'Human Nature', 'Dirty Diana', 'Smooth Criminal' and 'Dangerous' that weren't on part one, and then there were the big songs from HIStory, like 'You Are Not Alone' and 'Earth Song', that they were going to add."

"But recording a whole new album at this stage would have been time consuming, and Michael was interested in a shorter project. "The HIStory Book II concept was talked about but never that big of an idea in Michael's mind," Brad Buxer said. "Michael's desire was for an album with a limited amount of new tracks and one that wouldn't be that complicated or take that long to do."

Believe it or not, but Diane Dimond is the reason, Dirty Diana is on Number Ones.

Back