Disco fever anyone?

Sylvester - You Make Me Feel Mighty Real

Last edited:
@zinniabooklover It is something new for me, both song and artist

edit checked him out, this guy barely had any hits (top 40), no wonder I didn't know him. Not a big fan of this song.

Kid Creole and The Coconuts. Stool Pigeon. 1982.

For some reason, Kid Creole just popped into my head but I literally don't know where to post this song. Back in the day I saw him and his music labelled as calypso funk, Latin disco, Mutant disco, Disco Rap, soul, jazz funk ... I think I'll just call it really cool music. That'll do.

@zinniabooklover

Just curious if your recent disco dive has lead to any further interest in Off the Wall? I can't remember what thread this was discussed on awhile back, but I know you aren't crazy about the album.

Also, I know this is technically an "Anything Goes" thread, so if you prefer to answer this somewhere else more "Michael" related feel free! Or feel free to ignore me forever and tell me to go away šŸ˜‚ šŸ˜‰

@zinniabooklover

Just curious if your recent disco dive has lead to any further interest in Off the Wall?
It hasn't and I'm not expecting it to. I don't madly love disco, I have a few songs I really love but most of it I'm not keen on. The OTW songs that are big disco hits are just not for me. That could change, of course. But I'm not holding my breath, lol. The other day I found a modern Christian song which had a chunk of Get On The Floor dropped into it and that was quite pleasing.

I can't remember what thread this was discussed on awhile back, but I know you aren't crazy about the album.
I'm not and, you know, that could change but I really don't think it will. It's a good album and I feel Michael's disappointment that it didn't do better at the Grammy's but, as something for me to listen to? Mm, probably not gonna happen.

I'm having fun with this disco thing although it's funny what gets classed as disco. The O'Jays 'Love Train'? I don't remember that being classed as disco. Who knew?

The Emotions / Best of My Love. TOTP

Been looking for this one for ages. So happy to find it. Picture quality a bit poor and weirdly compressed but I don't care. Classic!

Thatā€™s not disco in my book either.
There's several disco compilations that has Black Betty by Ram Jam. I have one of them. A lot of what was called disco was really R&B and funk, which is what a lot of the records were at the riot (disco demolition) at the baseball game. Disco in itself originated from early 1970s R&B. Although it has disco in the title, Disco Lady by Johnnie Taylor isn't disco at all, it has several members of Funkadelic playing on it. Those late 1970s Bee Gees records were mostly R&B too. Disco technically never really went away, it was just renamed dance music & house music in the 1980s. The 1980s is when 12" remix maxi singles were big. Remixes for clubs were invented during the disco era. The songs were made longer so the DJs in clubs didn't have to change the records as often and interrupt the flow of the people dancing.

There's several disco compilations that has Black Betty by Ram Jam.
I know. Never made any sense to me but, there you go, lol.

A lot of what was called disco was really R&B and funk ... Disco in itself originated from early 1970s R&B.
Tell me about it. I had to live through that and it was not the high point of my 70's. Never liked R&B so when it morphed into disco that was not my dream come true! I was OK with funk although even there I'd get bored after a while.

Although it has disco in the title, Disco Lady by Johnnie Taylor isn't disco at all, it has several members of Funkadelic playing on it.
Uh huh.

Those late 1970s Bee Gees records were mostly R&B too.
And that's why I never liked their records after the 1960's. The Bee Gees are really good. They write great songs. I just can't listen to the 70's stuff.

Disco technically never really went away, it was just renamed dance music & house music in the 1980s. The 1980s is when 12" remix maxi singles were big.
Which is why I wasn't interested in the whole house music thing. Shouty punk (OK, post-punk) gigs, that was my jam.

There's not many disco records that I like but the ones I love I *really* love.

Which reminds me ...

Heatwave / Boogie Nights

I like to use clips from TOTP but this one (I think it's Musikladen) has better shots of Rod Temperton so it's a slam dunk!
Rod Temperton - Cleethorpes finest! Yay for the Lincolnshire Lad.

"Boogie nights
Ain't no doubt, we are to party ... "

Last edited:

Hamilton Bohannon. Disco Stomp.

Everything about this is perfect but, omg, the bass line! And the percussion that kicks in at 4m 30s. Fabulous!

Omg I am way way way more excited about this than I ought to be. I want updates!! šŸ˜‚
2 hours of Michael on the radio. I'm not back yet. Still up in the stratosphere.

DSTYGE - which I never liked and always found quite irritating - blew my mind.

It's the radio. It's the freakin' radio wot did it, lol.

Back