[Discussion] Sexual Abuse Claims Against MJ Estate - Robson/ Safechuck/ Doe

Re: [Discussion] Wade Robson files claim of sexual abuse against MJ-Estate

Could he be anymore transparent? Ugh. This is what it's all about: and now wants to quit professional dancing forever.

He wants to shakedown the estate and he's going to use this foundation to draw more attention and supporters for himself to help bolster his suit. What he really wants is to make as much money as possible so he can spend the rest of his life doing yoga on the beaches of Hawaii:beach: and not ever work again the rest of his life.

God, I hope the judge dismisses this suit!!:aggressive:

I think apart from a PR stunt it's also Plan B in case his case gets thrown out. Then he hopes to make his money through book deals, touring as some big advocate of child abuse victims, paid interviews and this foundation.

Could he be anymore transparent? Ugh. This is what it's all about: and now wants to quit professional dancing forever.

He wants to shakedown the estate and he's going to use this foundation to draw more attention and supporters for himself to help bolster his suit. What he really wants is to make as much money as possible so he can spend the rest of his life doing yoga on the beaches of Hawaii:beach: and not ever work again the rest of his life.

God, I hope the judge dismisses this suit!!:aggressive:

Yoga & relaxation is very good for mental health, something Wade desperately needs since he inherited his dad's mental illness. I guess he figured yoga and meditation would put less stress on his fragile mind. In a few weeks, check back at that foundation and like the one the Jackson girls started, you will see nothing much comes of it. Basically, Wade wants to live the idle rich life. He does not want to continue working when he can't handle the stress & regiment anymore associated with his work. Futher, he can't keep up with the creativity of his peers, so rather than having his ego take a big beating, he decided he would have early retirement & let Micahel Jackson pay for it.

If abuse was not a serious issue, I would get someone to join his group with a fake scenario, and observe what he has to say. He might give me some good material for a case study. Didn't some woman gather a whole bunch of comments from the internet relating to Michael and publish some book? Wade is good material for a psychological/psychiatric study.

Last edited:

Basically, Wade wants to live the idle rich life. He does not want to continue working when he can't handle the stress & regiment anymore associated with his work. Futher, he can't keep up with the creativity of his peers, so rather than having his ego take a big beating, he decided he would have early retirement & let Micahel Jackson pay for it.

That's exactly what it is.

I don't know if Wade inherited his mental illness from his father. Based on the interviews and statements that I've read from him and knowing his background, he reminds me more of Narcissistic Personality Disorder (especially the bold):

Persons diagnosed with a Narcissistic Personality Disorder are characterized by unwarranted feelings of self-importance. They have a sense of entitlement and demonstrate grandiosity in their beliefs and behavior. They have a strong need for admiration, but lack feelings of empathy for others. These qualities are usually defenses against a deep feeling of inferiority and of being unloved.[SUP][6]
[/SUP]
Symptoms of this disorder, as defined by the DSM-IV-TR include:[SUP][1][/SUP]

• Expects to be recognized as superior and special, without superior accomplishments
  • Expects constant attention, admiration and positive reinforcement from others
  • Envies others and believes others envy him/her
  • Is preoccupied with thoughts and fantasies of great success, enormous attractiveness, power, intelligence
  • Lacks the ability to empathize with the feelings or desires of others
  • Is arrogant in attitudes and behavior
  • Has expectations of special treatment that are unrealistic

Per the Mayo Clinic, narcissistic personality disorder is characterized by dramatic, emotional behavior, which is in the same category as antisocial and borderline personality disorders.[SUP][7][/SUP]

Narcissistic personality disorder symptoms may include:

• Believing that you're better than others
  • Fantasizing about power, success and attractiveness
  • Exaggerating your achievements or talents
  • Expecting constant praise and admiration
  • Believing that you're special and acting accordingly
  • Failing to recognize other people's emotions and feelings
  • Expecting others to go along with your ideas and plans
  • Taking advantage of others
  • Expressing disdain for those you feel are inferior
  • Being jealous of others
  • Believing that others are jealous of you
  • Trouble keeping healthy relationships
  • Setting unrealistic goals
  • Being easily hurt and rejected
  • Having a fragile self-esteem
  • Appearing as tough-minded or unemotional

The cause of this disorder is unknown, however Groopman and Cooper list the following factors identified by various researchers as possibilities:[SUP][2][/SUP]

• An oversensitive temperament at birth
  • Excessive admiration that is never balanced with realistic feedback
  • Excessive praise for good behaviors or excessive criticism for bad behaviors in childhood
  • Overindulgence and overvaluation by parents, other family members, or peers
  • Being praised for perceived exceptional looks or abilities by adults
  • Severe emotional abuse in childhood
  • Unpredictable or unreliable caregiving from parents
  • Valued by parents as a means to regulate their own self-esteem
(...)

Although individuals with NPD are often ambitious and capable, the inability to tolerate setbacks, disagreements or criticism, along with lack of empathy, make it difficult for such individuals to work cooperatively with others or to maintain long-term professional achievements.
[SUP][20][/SUP] With narcissistic personality disorder, the individual's self-perceived fantastic grandiosity, often coupled with a hypomanic mood, is typically not commensurate with his or her real accomplishments.

Last edited:

I think apart from a PR stunt it's also Plan B in case his case gets thrown out. Then he hopes to make his money through book deals, touring as some big advocate of child abuse victims, paid interviews and this foundation.

Yeah, I have a feeling his initial "call to arms" through the media didn't produce any more 'victims' to appear and stand by him, so this is Plan B. He knows there is a very good chance the judge will through this case out due to the statute of limitations.

He knows there is an audience out there who will pay good money for his sick fanfic.:bugeyed I'm sure he's loving the attention of it all.

LindavG you could be right about his particular mental illness. However, I have found that with one or more parents with mental illness a child or some of the children will have mental illness too, although the specific Mental disorder may differ. I know of one mom with a social disorder and one son was a schizophrenic, one daughter was bipolar & another little daughter had severe social anxiety (afraid of strangers/crowds). The bottom line is mental illness runs in the family. That is why years ago, parents would watch which families had mental illness, so that their children did not marry into those families. Now we have good drugs and therapy which helps, so I guess people are not so biased.

When Wade talks about his ability he reminds me of the case studies I looked at in graduate school. By the way guys, be careful of signing to allow authorities to video tape you while you work or are engaged in any activity in which you are seeking help, because you never know where they will end up. In graduate school we examined several videos of various mental disorders involving real people in their 20s, who were sitting with the psychiatrist and talking about themselves. Some of the videos were from the 1970s, and I wondered if these people who would be in their 40s at the time and working in their professions, knew I was watching them and analyzing their mental disorder. I think the ones I saw was done by Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in New York City.

Last edited:

A MESSAGE FROM WAJERO ENTERTAINMENT
Apr 15, 2004

Wade just wanted to let everyone know what has been going on. We decided to take down waderobson.com temporarily due to the fact that Wade is concentrating on writing and directing and will not be in the public eye a lot, we felt that waderobsonfans.com was a wonderful site and carried all the information to the fans just as well or even better. We are going to communicate with this site and give updates on what Wade is doing currently. We hope you all understand and continue to come to this site. Wade just finished writing a short film that we will start shooting soon and he will be directing it. Wade will be teaching master classes in Puerto Rico on May 1st and in Florida on May 16th. We will keep you updated on whats going on, thanks for your patience and loyalty.

Apr 15, 2004

Wade just wanted to let everyone know what has been going on. We decided to take down waderobson.com temporarily due to the fact that Wade is concentrating on writing and directing and will not be in the public eye a lot, we felt that waderobsonfans.com was a wonderful site and carried all the information to the fans just as well or even better. We are going to communicate with this site and give updates on what Wade is doing currently. We hope you all understand and continue to come to this site. Wade just finished writing a short film that we will start shooting soon and he will be directing it. Wade will be teaching master classes in Puerto Rico on May 1st and in Florida on May 16th. We will keep you updated on whats going on, thanks for your patience and loyalty.

I think it's the short film that was then partly shot at Neverland.

LindavG you could be right about his particular mental illness. However, I have found that with one or more parents with mental illness a child or some of the children will have mental illness too, although the specific Mental disorder may differ. I know of one mom with a social disorder and one son was a schizophrenic, one daughter was bipolar & another little daughter had severe social anxiety (afraid of strangers/crowds). The bottom line is mental illness runs in the family. That is why years ago, parents would watch which families had mental illness, so that their children did not marry into those families. Now we have good drugs and therapy which helps, so I guess people are not so biased.

I know, mental illness is very often genetic and many kinds of mental illness are related. That's why I suggested that Wade does not necessarily have bipolar disorder just because his father had it.

* A little personal anecdote: I wasn't aware of just how inter-related mental disorders are until my nephew (age 5) was diagnosed with classic autism. One of the first things his doctors asked his parents (my sister and BIL) is if mental illness runs in their family. There is no one with classic autism but my brother has a mild case of PDD-NOS and my BIL's aunt has schizophrenia. Apparently, this greatly increased the chance of my nephew getting autism because his parents on both sides are genetically predisposed to mental illness (even though they are perfectly healthy themselves). The specific mental illness is of lesser importance. If my sister and BIL had another child, there is a huge chance that it will be born with some kind of mental disorder too. That's why my BIL is getting a vasectomy as soon as he can. They were fortunate that their first child was born healthy :) Anyway, I find this all very interesting. I never realised how important genetics are when it comes to mental illness. My brother's fiance also has PDD-NOS (they went to a special school together) and she comes from a family of four children; all of them have PDD-NOS and other mental issues too. Wouldn't like to be in their parents' shoes!

Last edited:
Assuming that Wade indeed has NPD, which of the subtypes do you think suits him best? I'm torn between the "unprincipled narcissist" and the "elitist narcissist", I think they both describe him to a T -_-

Unprincipled narcissist
Personality traits:
Deficient conscience; unscrupulous, amoral, disloyal, fraudulent, deceptive, arrogant, exploitive; a con man and charlatan; dominating, contemptuous, vindictive.

Amorous narcissist
Personality traits:
Sexually seductive, enticing, beguiling, tantalizing; glib and clever; disinclines real intimacy; indulges hedonistic desires; bewitches and inveigles the needy and naïve; pathological lying and swindling.

Compensatory narcissist
Personality traits: Seeks to counteract or cancel out deep feelings of inferiority and lack of self-esteem; offsets deficits by creating illusions of being superior, exceptional, admirable, noteworthy; self-worth results from self-enhancement.

Elitist narcissist
Personality traits: Feels privileged and empowered by virtue of special childhood status and pseudo achievements; entitled façade bears little relation to reality; seeks favored and good life; is upwardly mobile; cultivates special status and advantages by association.

Fanatic
narcissist
Personality traits: An individual whose self-esteem was severely arrested during childhood, who usually displays major paranoid tendencies, and who holds on to an illusion of omnipotence. These people are fighting delusions of insignificance and lost value, and trying to re-establish their self-esteem through grandiose fantasies and self-reinforcement. When unable to gain recognition or support from others, they take on the role of a heroic or worshipped person with a grandiose mission.

^ Although, that last sentence of the "fanatic narcissist" reminds me of Wade as well, with his newfound mission of being a champion of child abuse victims.

Also:

Other theorists have identified two types of narcissism. Those narcissists who have been diagnosed with narcissistic grandiosity express behavior "through interpersonally exploitative acts, lack of empathy, intense envy, aggression, and exhibitionism."[SUP][34][/SUP] Another type of narcissism is narcissistic vulnerability. It entails (on a conscious level) "helplessness, emptiness, low self-esteem, and shame, which can be expressed in the behavior as being socially avoidant in situations where their self-presentation is not possible so they withdraw, or the approval they need/expect is not being met."[SUP][34][/SUP]

Apr 15, 2004

Sounds like he's had lots of breaks from "the public" and his career throughout his life. Odd for someone who is supposedly a workaholic and was only incapable of working in 2012.

When people are in the manic phase of bipolar disorder they seem a lot like NPD's disorder.

When bipolar people are manic they can suffer from "Grandiose delusions":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandiose_delusions

Symptoms

According to the DSM-IV-TR diagnostic criteria for delusional disorder, grandiose-type symptoms include grossly exaggerated belief of:

self-worth
power[5]
knowledge
identity
exceptional relationship to a divinity or famous person.[6]

For example, a patient who has fictitious beliefs about his or her power or authority may believe himself or herself to be a ruling monarch who deserves to be treated like royalty.[7] There are substantial differences in the degree of grandiosity linked with grandiose delusions in different patients. Some patients believe they are God, the Queen of England, a president's son, a famous rock star, and so on. Others are not as expansive and think they are skilled sports-persons or great inventors.[8]

Expansive delusions

Expansive delusions may be maintained by auditory hallucinations, which advise the patient that they are significant, or confabulations, when, for example, the patient gives a thorough description of their coronation or marriage to the king. Grandiose and expansive delusions may also be part of fantastic hallucinosis in which all forms of hallucinations occur.[8]

Accounts of delusion

There are two alternative accounts for getting grandiose delusions:[9]

Delusion-as-defense account: defense of the mind against lower self-esteem and depression
Emotion-consistent account: result of exaggerated emotions.

Epidemiology

In researching over 1000 individuals of vast backgrounds, Stompe and colleagues (2006) found that grandiosity remains as the second most common delusion after persecutory delusions.[2] A variation in the occurrence of grandiosity delusions in schizophrenic patients across cultures has also been observed.[10][11] In research done by Appelbaum et al. it has been found that GDs appeared more commonly in patients with bipolar disorder (59%) than in patients with schizophrenia (49%), followed by presence in substance misuse disorder patients (30%) and depressed patients (21%).[2]

A relationship has been claimed between the age of onset of bipolar disorder and the occurrence of GDs. According to Carlson et al. (2000), grandiose delusions appeared in 74% of the patients who were 21 or lower at the time of the onset, while they occurred only in 40% of individuals 30 years or older at the time of the onset.[2]

Diagnosis

Bipolar disorder
Main article: Bipolar disorder

Bipolar disorder is severe affective dysregulation, or mood states that sway from exceedingly low (depression) to exceptionally high (mania).[26] Bipolar patients with grandiose delusions are essentially high on themselves. If they convey any feelings of aggravation at all, these at most characterize secondary anxiety that others will be jealous of them and hold them back from getting what they are entitled to, or seize what they already have.[27]

Bipolar patients experience delusion during the worse part of their illness. Typically, when experiencing or displaying a stage of heightened excitability, joy, rage, senselessness, and correlated phenomena they might convey thoughts or beliefs that are grandiose in nature. Some of these grandiose beliefs frequently involve thoughts that the patient is very rich or famous or has super human abilities, etc.[28] In the most severe form, known as psychotic mania, the bipolar patient may hear voices and have grandiose delusions such as "I am the King of England".[29]

Doesn't all of that sound really familiar?

Last edited:

Sounds like he's had lots of breaks from "the public" and his career throughout his life. Odd for someone who is supposedly a workaholic and was only incapable of working in 2012.

When people are in the manic phase of bipolar disorder they seem a lot like NPD's disorder.

When bipolar people are manic they can suffer from "Grandiose delusions":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandiose_delusions

(...)

Doesn't all of that sound really familiar?

I'm not sure. I don't think Wade's self-image depends on halucinations or delusions per se, I think it's part of his identity (as it has always been) and nurtured since childhood.

I do agree that it's odd that Wade took so many breaks and dropped out of projects when he's supposedly a workaholic for whom leaving showbizz is a major and drastic decision. Looking at his resume, he hasn't done much at all these past few years.

I'm not sure. I don't think Wade's self-image depends on halucinations or delusions per se, I think it's part of his identity (as it has always been) and nurtured since childhood.

I do agree that it's odd that Wade took so many breaks and dropped out of projects when he's supposedly a workaholic for whom leaving showbizz is a major and drastic decision. Looking at his resume, he hasn't done much at all these past few years.

I don't think it depends on it, but I think his mental illness has exacerbated these facets of him.

The way his lawyer speaks about him and the way he speaks about himself, he really seems to believe he's something incredibly special. Career trajectories off the charts, how he was "invincible" in his career, how he was due to surpass Spielberg as a director and how he realized this prophecy was coming true with a movie called Step Up 4, how the abuse now means he won't go on to become "an international superstar."

Add on to that this sudden realization of sexual abuse, it all seems to me like a psychosis and part of his manic cycle, and when he took "breaks" from his career to work on these movie projects and scripts that never went anywhere it was either on a manic cycle of his where he felt like he was God's gift to the planet, or one of his depressions, where he was not able to function properly and had to withdraw and claim he was working on projects that never went anywhere.

I don't think it depends on it, but I think his mental illness has exacerbated these facets of him.

The way his lawyer speaks about him and the way he speaks about himself, he really seems to believe he's something incredibly special. Career trajectories off the charts, how he was "invincible" in his career, how he was due to surpass Spielberg as a director and how he realized this prophecy was coming true with a movie called Step Up 4, how the abuse now means he won't go on to become "an international superstar."

Add on to that this sudden realization of sexual abuse, it all seems to me like a psychosis and part of his manic cycle, and when he took "breaks" from his career to work on these movie projects and scripts that never went anywhere it was either on a manic cycle of his where he felt like he was God's gift to the planet, or one of his depressions, where he was not able to function properly and had to withdraw and claim he was working on projects that never went anywhere.

You might be right. I think he shows symptoms of both NPD and BD (some of them overlap too).

So do you think Wade actually believes he was sexually abused by Michael, as part of his psychosis?

Apr 15, 2004

I guess he is following Michel in wanting to do movies too.

I had to edit my post because I realize this was in 2004. Anyone knows if he actually taught in those places?

Last edited:

You might be right. I think he shows symptoms of both NPD and BD (some of them overlap too).

So do you think Wade actually believes he was sexually abused by Michael, as part of his psychosis?

I'm not sure about that aspect, I suspect he may feel violated by just having been friends or close to MJ, like thanks to MJ he can't live a normal life, you know? And in his head he's decided this was the same thing as being sexually abused.

Perhaps in some delusional messed up state he started believing MJ had sexually abused other boys too, perhaps he read something detailed and graphic about it, and started thinking about himself and relating to it, perhaps he feels if MJ abused others, he may as well have been a victim, and that because MJ "ruined" him the way he seems to feel, that this was as good as being abused.

I don't know if I believe he has been abused yet, I do think he believes MJ violated him by being his friend though.

It's so so SO interesting how him and his cousin claim that the "grooming" MJ did about telling him to be the best, prophecies about Spielberg, were the same as the sexual abuse grooming - that to me shows what the real issue with Wade is. He feels he was groomed into being a prodigy and feels betrayed by being promised the world by MJ and the world not giving it to him.

Wade Robson KIIS Radio Interview Transcript
September 11, 2003

JoJo: Ladies & Gentlemen – my homie, my friend, I’m pumped for this due, Wade Robson in the studio

Wade: Yeah, what’s up man?

JoJo: You’re like the next generations choreographer that’s doing huge. The Wade Robson Project on MTV, does the show look freakin’ crazy awesome or what?

Wade: Crazy awesome – that’s the technical term for how good it is

JoJo: We were talking about you doing that show a long time ago

Wade: Yeah, actually I’ve got to give you props on it. I was talking to you about the show and I was saying we were trying to figure out what to call it. I said the working title is “the Wade Robson Project” and you go ‘dude, I’m a big guy on getting my name in the show so I think you should call it that.’ So from there I was like ‘yeah, that’s a good idea’ so JoJo named the show!

JoJo: Thank you very much – its all about sticking your name in the show……Give me a little summary about what this is all about

Wade: We found 80 dancers all over the country. Through the course of 6 weeks we go from 80 to 20, 20 to 10, 10 to 4 and then the final dancer is picked. They win $100,000 in cash and prizes, get a professional debut with a recording artist and they get to be in their videos, go on tour with them so it’s sort of a big boost into the business

JoJo: Tell that story you told on your first episode where you got your start or your early beginnings of your career…

Wade: When I was 5, which was ’87 and Michael Jackson was doing the “Bad” tour around the world, he was holding these contests in every city and they were “dance alike” contests. I went into the contest and I was too young to be in it, it was 8 and up, I was 5 but they said let him do it, he’s not going to win but it will be cute. I was serious though – I had the whole suit and the buckles and the hat, I had it all custom made. I went in and won it, went on to the finals, won that. The prize was to meet him so I went to the first concert and met him afterwards and he asked me to perform with him in the show the next night.

JoJo: What kind of crazy “never gonna happen story” happens?

Wade: So I was like ‘ok’ – that was the first moment dancing in front of 40,000 people next to Michael, throwing my hat in the audience and going ‘wow this is it; this is what I want to do.’

JoJo: When you were backstage, was your heart just pounding out of your chest?

Wade: It was, but not for the reason you’d think. I wasn’t nervous to go up and dance, I was scared because ‘Thriller’ was on right before and I thought the monsters were going to get me. The dancing part was fine I just didn’t want to get eaten on the way up!

JoJo: You’re writing with some people…

Wade: Carly Simon

JoJo: How did you guys hook up and what are you doing?

Wade: I hooked up through another writer Carol Bayer-Sager, who’s a legendary writer since the ‘60s and she hooked us up. We really just hit it off right away. We wrote this gorgeous song and its going on an album that she’s putting together for the end of the year that’s a greatest hits and some new songs
JoJo: What’s it like in a writing session….you guys just toss out ideas?

Wade: Yeah…at first it’s sort of feeling each other out; you just start talking about concepts. I was sitting at the piano and she came in. I had an idea for a little phrase on the piano and she started singing the melody and we created a concept and there you go.

JoJo: When are you going to come out with your own album?

Wade: I’m actually thinking about it again. I have a pretty cool idea for it.

JoJo: I really think you should do that, the time is hot, it’s working for you, and the Wade Robson Project is going strong.

JoJo: When you have somebody show up at one of your auditions…and somebody absolutely sucks, what do you do?

Wade: Someone who’s really serious but isn’t good? I try to be inspiring. If someone really wants it that bad but they’re really not good, I will say ‘first I need to ask you how badly do you want this because you’ve got a long long way to go, the question is do you have the heart to go through it?’

JoJo: I heard the statement on your show, you can learn steps but dancers are born – is that a true statement or can you learn it if you don’t have it?

Wade: I think you can learn steps technically – you can learn to put your arm here and your hand there and that sort of thing, but I honestly believe you’re born with that natural rhythm. Certain people can get it, but there’s a difference between a regular dancer and a Fred Astaire, a Gene Kelly or a Michael Jackson – somebody’s whose just got that natural presence and aura and flair about them that you can’t understand – you can’t pick it up ‘cause its theirs.

JoJo: Its time for the Wade Robson album to come out

Wade: It’s something I’m thinking about. I think the way I would do it would be on a bigger level – like a Fatboy Slim kind of thing where it would be dance based music, not techno – an electronic hip hop base with rock elements, pop, I’d sing on it, I’d rap a little bit, I’d bring in other artists to sing on it, and sort of create this event. You can do these amazing crazy visual dance videos.

JoJo: Similar to Pharrell or what BT did on his album.

Wade: Yeah, sort of like that direction

JoJo: It looks next to impossible, when you do choreography and you say hey do this – how do they pull that off? (referring to “The Wade Robson Project”)

Wade: Yeah, it’s pretty hard. There’s no pre-rehearsal, it’s all live. That’s the easiest stuff I can come up with. Through the life of the show, as we get down to lesser numbers of dancers, the choreography gets harder and harder

JoJo: How can I give you another title – Wade Robson big pimp choreographer…?

Wade: Super white boy

JoJo: Super white boy, friend – I’m proud of you

Wade: Thanks a lot man

JoJo: Any final words?

Wade: I think the main thing I’m always trying to promote with everything I do, is that people, whatever kind of dream you have whether it be dance, singing, music, film, make sure you understand to set goals in detail and visualize every detail and visualize every aspect of what you want and stay dedicated to it and eventually it will happen.

I'm thinking because the "I'm going to be a big movie producer" thing didn't happen for him he became pissed.

March 2008 interview

Suited up in his high-water pants, white socks, black loafers and fedora, Wade Robson prepared for his first professional gig performing at the Michael Jackson concert in his hometown of Brisbane, Australia. He’d won a dance contest impersonating Jackson earlier that year, and the prize was to meet the King of Pop himself. Impressed with Robson’s fluid glides, sharp pops, and agile hips, Jackson asked him to dance in his concert the following night. Stepping into the spotlight during the finale, Robson moved downstage and threw his hat into an audience of thousands of adoring fans. He was just 5 years old.

“The first dancing I ever saw was in the “Thriller” video,” says Robson. “I think I was 2 years old and I started trying to do some of the movements. By the time I was 4, I learned the whole thing.” After the Jackson concert, Robson joined a local dance company and became something of a specialty act impersonating his idol. Even then, he demonstrated a knack for creating his own movement style. “I didn’t want to be choreographed,” he says. “I was just freestyling and doing my own thing.”

Robson moved to the U.S. with his mother and sister when he was 8 to pursue dance professionally. With the help of his old friend Jackson, who’d cast Robson in his “Black or White” and “Jam” music videos, he landed an agent and quickly made waves in the Los Angeles dance scene. He also began serious training with some of the West Coast’s legendary funk originators. Under the tutelage of Popin’ Taco and Popin’ Pete, Robson continued perfecting the street styles he so identified with in the “Thriller” video. “Wade was an eager beaver,” says Popin’ Pete. “He didn’t lose focus like some children do.”

But as Robson became more immersed in the profession, he learned he didn’t want to make a career as a performer. “I didn’t like the way dancers were treated like cattle. And I didn’t like the way they were paid,” he says. “I remember saying to my mom that I wanted to be a choreographer because I wanted to be in a position to fight for dancers to be respected.”

Beyond his desire to change industry standards, Robson also displayed a penchant for leadership. When he was just 12, he started teaching at Moro Landis, now Millennium Dance Complex, even though many dancers scoffed at the idea of a kid running a class. “People would walk out before I even started,” he says. “They’d ask, ‘Who’s teaching class?’ and people would say, ‘That little white boy over there with the shaved head.’ People would be like, ‘Yeah right, I’m not taking from this kid.’ ”

Yet Robson’s current pupils attest to his ability to break down intricate movement and his unique approach to setting choreography. “He didn’t just teach the steps,” says So You Think You Can Dance finalist Hok. “He started off with a feeling and a vision, and he played the music for us a couple times. Inside the room it was kind of dim and there were candles lit so we could get inside that mood. It felt like something beyond dancing. It was like a whole experience of art.”

Robson’s teaching turned heads, and he was offered his first choreography job at 14 for a boy band called Immature. In an era where saccharin pop was taking over the charts, Robson’s edgy movement style attracted artists looking to add some spice to their sticky-sweet repertoire. No one personified the bad-girl/good-girl dichotomy better than Britney Spears, who hired Robson to help create her signature sassy strut when he was a whopping 16 years old. Robson became a Spears mainstay over the next few years, choreographing her Pepsi commercials, 1999 MTV Movie Awards performance, world tours and I’m a Slave 4 U music video. He also began working with *NSYNC, directing their tours, as well as collaborating on songwriting for their final album, Celebrity. Other pop artists hired him, including Mya, Pink, Usher, and Mandy Moore. Robson’s choreography career was on fire before he’d even reached his 20s.

As Robson gained momentum, he reached new levels of recognition by hosting one of the first dance reality shows on television in 2003, aptly named The Wade Robson Project. The show’s premise was to search out raw talent (no trained dancers were allowed to audition) and eventually award the winner a $100,000 cash prize. And while Robson did sometimes perform on the show, he began to get noticed more for his TV persona than for his choreography. “I started gaining a certain amount of fame for being the cool guy on MTV,” he says, “and I did start to get caught up in that for a second.”

For all his success, though, Robson felt a tug in the opposite direction from the limelight. As the show was coming to a close, he was beginning a relationship with Amanda Rodriguez, now his wife, who grew up far away from the entertainment industry in Maui, Hawaii. “I was going through so many changes in my life with her—learning and remembering a whole aspect of myself that I’d forgotten,” he says. “She had this whole other perspective that I saw and loved and wanted to be a part of. But at the same time, I was becoming a bit of a celebrity. It was a really strange contrast.”

Robson’s choice became clear as he shot the finale for the show. “I looked around and had one of these strange, surreal moments where I said, ‘Is this it? Is this really what I want?’ I saw people looking at me for all the wrong reasons,” he says. For the next two years, he disappeared from the public eye and immersed himself in his new love, experiencing life without dance.

Robson’s relationship with Amanda has had a profound effect on his artistic vision. Now, before he even starts to think about choreography, he and Amanda sit down to create a story or theme for each piece. She is his muse, the influence behind his evolving approach. “I feel like I have so much to say as a person, behind the work, with both of our perspectives joined together,” says Robson. His creative process has become more organic, resulting in a change in movement vocabulary that reaches beyond his earlier street style. “When I was in my earlier pop phase, I was extremely calculated,” he says. “I’d have a nervous breakdown if I came into rehearsal and didn’t have everything worked out. Now, I’ll work out a foundation—if I need to move this dancer from stage left to stage right, how would this character walk? Then I let the creation happen once I get in there. That’s been really freeing. I think it’s helped my stuff a lot.”

It wasn’t long before he had a very public platform in which to test his inspired new approach. In 2005, he was beckoned back to the small screen with the introduction of the groundbreaking reality series So You Think You Can Dance. Robson was instrumental in introducing mainstream audiences to hybrid forms of dance, combining pedestrian movement with classically influenced technique.

“Wade is like a chameleon,” says So You Think You Can Dance contestant Jaimie Goodwin. “You really don’t think about him having a specific style. You never know what you’re going to get from him.” Last year, Robson pushed the envelope even further on the show, working well outside his comfort zone to create ’60s-inspired protest solos to John Mayer’s “Waiting on the World to Change,” (the next day Nigel Lythgoe “apologized” in case this peace dance offended any families of soldiers) and the hauntingly mesmerizing “Hummingbird” piece. Robson received high acclaim from the show’s judges on “Hummingbird” for his uncanny ability to transform a hip hop dancer (Hok) and well-rounded dancer (Goodwin) into stunning personifications of a hummingbird and flower.

“A lot of people have beautiful ideas, but they don’t know how to incorporate them and show them off,” says Goodwin. “But Wade can turn himself into different characters. He moves in a way that’s really not human. He sees his vision and knows how to get it across.”

Although Robson’s choreography is said to have no identifiable style, his early “Thriller” influence noticeably permeates much of his current work. His Emmy Award–winning “Ramalama (Bang Bang)” piece (part of So You Think You Can Dance’s 2006 season) featured tweaked out zombies dressed in Victorian garb, while his Dancing With the Stars number in 2007 conjured up a dark, circusy funhouse ambiance.

Cirque du Soleil producers took notice and hired Robson to choreograph their next installment on the Vegas strip—a show centered on magician Criss Angel, set to open this summer at the Luxor hotel. Cirque looks to move in a new direction, making dance more central to the performance, and almost completely sidelining the acrobatics. They turned to Robson to create story-driven dance content, and declined to define a particular style for the show. “We’ll go with Wade a little bit everywhere,” says director Serge Denoncourt. “That’s why he’s here, because I don’t want a specific style of dance. I want to go anywhere with him to follow the storyline.”

Robson himself continues to go anywhere in the dance world that his heart desires. He’s been commissioned to create a piece for the San Francisco Ballet’s 75th Anniversary gala, even though he’s never studied ballet. “I’m just so excited to be in situations where I’m being put out of my comfort zone,” says Robson. “If you’re not challenging yourself, what’s the point?”

Robson challenges not only himself, but also the general public. “Hopefully in the future,” he says, “as I continue to push my own limits creatively, I’ll push the limits and boundaries of popular dance.”

Wendy Garofoli is a freelance writer and former dancer living in Monterey, CA.

- See more at: http://www.dancemagazine.com/issues/March-2008/Wade-Robson-An-Innovator-at-Work#sthash.nwN2AT5r.dpuf

La_cienega unlike you, I think Wade knows he was not abused by Michael, but he knows this is the claim that he is most likely to get money with. I think he is calculating, intelligent (to a certain point) and crafted this lie, researched on it, and is following a certain script. It is the research that shows me more than ever that he knows he was not abused and thus needs information on abuse to back him up. The way he went about this claim, is too much like the way one prepares for an audition or job. He is acting too much like an artist (dancer, backup singer), who finds out about an Open Call (for Wade, finds out can get money by claiming abuse); then the person practices for part of the audition they want (for Wade, its research & statements to therapists); then the person goes to that audition (for Wade, the filing of the case & interviews).

His movements are too staged. To me he knows he lied.

La_cienega unlike you, I think Wade knows he was not abused by Michael, but he knows this is the claim that he is most likely to get money with. I think he is calculating, intelligent (to a certain point) and crafted this lie, researched on it, and is following a certain script. It is the research that shows me more than ever that he knows he was not abused and thus needs information on abuse to back him up. The way he went about this claim, is too much like the way one prepares for an audition or job. He is acting too much like an artist (dancer, backup singer), who finds out about an Open Call (for Wade, finds out can get money by claiming abuse); then the person practices for part of the audition they want (for Wade, its research & statements to therapists); then the person goes to that audition (for Wade, the filing of the case & interviews).

That's how I feel too. That's part of the reason I don't think he's in a psychosis, he's too calculating. But then I get doubts...could he really be this cruel and heartless, to knowingly throw his dead friend under the bus in such a vile manner just for $? I just can't imagine it but I guess that's a good thing (for me).

^^Yeah I know it is hard to think of someone being so calculating, but I remember that during that interview when he called Micahel that name, he looked at the camera in that way as though he wanted to give his words maximum effect. Also when he said that this was not about money he gave that bold look as though he is telling the estate "there, take that." He could be extremely angered about something that is connected to Michael or his estate, so he does not feel he is being cruel but getting even. He may have a warped sense of justice.

Michael said it best: ANYTHING FOR MONEY...

LindavG;3876814 said:

I think it's a combination of things. In a way I find Wade a lot similar to Evan Chandler. Maybe it's not a concidence since Evan was bi-polar (like Wade?). Evan started out with this maniac obsession about Michael and Jordan having a sexual relationship (being "lovers") and THEN he pressured and threatened Jordan "corroborating" his fixed idea. We know that over the next ten years at least Ray (eventually Evan) collected every article about allegations of Michael being a child molester etc. I think part of that was to try to convince themselves that even if Michael did not molest Jordan he probably molested other children so they did the right thing - or at least they do not have to feel ashamed about what they did to Michael.

I think Ray Chandler's book is actually very telling about their true motives. It's incredibly odd and crazy how Ray (Evan) plays down the alleged sexual abuse in that book as if that's almost a side issue:

"And it wasn't just the sex part. Everyone made a big deal about the sex - the press, the cops, the DA. That was important, sure, but it wasn't the main thing for me. It was what Michael did to him to get to that point. He took over his mind and isolated him from his family and friends and everyone he cared for. He made him his own little slave. On the outside it looked like he was showing Jordie the time of his life, but on the inside he was robbing him of his individuality, his soul. That was the real crime, and that's what I wanted Michael to pay for."

And then:

“Even if there was no sex, Jordie's personality had been seriously altered. As he morphed day by day into a pint-sized clone of Michael, he withdrew further and further from his family and friends.”

Of course, the "sex part" wasn't the main thing for them - as they knew it wasn't true. But in his mind Evan found a way to make Michael "guilty" of something that he had to "pay for". I think it could be the same with Wade. I think his main issue is some kind of burn-out and career crisis, issues he has with his mother, a failure that he managed to blame on Michael in his mind in some twisted way. And he feels Michael needs to pay for his failed career, the "promises" (prophecies) Michael made to him but which Wade failed to achieve. Michael needs to pay for Wade's hurt ego, eventually. But he cannot sue Michael for failed prophecies or alleged pressure to achieve, just like Evan could not sue Michael for Jordan dressing and talking like Michael and prefering Michael's company to his father's. So enter molestation allegations.

I think an ill mind, like Wade's probably is, is eventually capable of convincing himself if he wants to that he was indeed molested. Just to make himself feel better about himself and what he's doing. I see from his previous interviews how he likes to visualize things that he would like to achieve. Maybe he can also visualize the alleged abuse until he believes it himself. Maybe he can play this role so much that eventually he can start to believe and convince himself it really happened. His mind is not healthy and so it can happen IMO.

I know he said it's not a repressed memory case, though in many ways that "insight-oriented therapy" that he talks about seems pretty similar to me as what those repressed memory therapists do. This documentary was posted already a few times. I just want to point out now that the story of that woman at 0:45 is pretty interesting. Her therapist suggested to her that she was molested as a child and then she read lots of books about incest (1:20) and boom she comes up with "memories" of those things happening to her as well:

[video=youtube;RsXoVYDL_gs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RsXoVYDL_gs[/video]

So reading such books can lead to developing such "memories" - I'd think especially if you are in an unstable state of mind and need a scapegoat for your own failures and an excuse for greedy monetary demands.

On the other hand, Wade's legal moves and actions are so focused on money that I tend to rather think it's just a cynical money grab and he was not really led to believe he was molested. Though in case of mental issues he might have convinced himself by now in order to feel better about what he's doing. I don't know. It seems both mental issues and greed to me.

I found this one interesting too. This shows how easy it is to manipulate memory.

[video=youtube;PQr_IJvYzbA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PQr_IJvYzbA[/video]

MJLovesyoumore;3877005 said:
Wade: I hooked up through another writer Carol Bayer-Sager, who’s a legendary writer since the ‘60s and she hooked us up. We really just hit it off right away. We wrote this gorgeous song and its going on an album that she’s putting together for the end of the year that’s a greatest hits and some new songs

Did that happen eventually? I didn't find anything about it.

JoJo: When are you going to come out with your own album?

Wade: I’m actually thinking about it again. I have a pretty cool idea for it.

JoJo: Its time for the Wade Robson album to come out

Wade: It’s something I’m thinking about. I think the way I would do it would be on a bigger level – like a Fatboy Slim kind of thing where it would be dance based music, not techno – an electronic hip hop base with rock elements, pop, I’d sing on it, I’d rap a little bit, I’d bring in other artists to sing on it, and sort of create this event. You can do these amazing crazy visual dance videos.

That didn't happen either, did it?

Wade: I think the main thing I’m always trying to promote with everything I do, is that people, whatever kind of dream you have whether it be dance, singing, music, film, make sure you understand to set goals in detail and visualize every detail and visualize every aspect of what you want and stay dedicated to it and eventually it will happen.

I wonder if he managed to visualize himself into imagining he was molested...

Second, I think these kind of guidelines he always says sound so much like things Michael would tell him. Just believe in it and stay dedicated to it and it WILL happen etc. Michael believed in that too. And there is nothing wrong with that at all - indeed you achieve success if you strongly believe in it and work hard for it. The problem is when a mentally ill person takes such guidelines so bloody literal that if he fails to become a new Spielberg then he will get vindictive against the person who "prophecized" to him he could achieve that if he wanted...

He may have or he may have not a mental disorder, that's speculation at the moment. He's fully aware of what he's doing, unlike the other two pricks, he's not improvising and investigating about it. That traitor bastard is doing it because his gigantic ego can't accept he's no longer on the top, it's easy to blame others but himself for his failures and because he needs money. That heartless backstabbing act can't be carried along with a mental disorder for the fact as some of you mentioned that it is calculated.

Good point. I definitely believe he is mentally ill though and that this mental illness he has causes psychosis.

I agree with Respect, he blames MJ for something and wants him to now pay for it and I think his mental illness makes him believe this is justifiable.

He seems to have a habit of speaking about things as though they're already really happening and none of it ever does. He did it with the Britney show and the MJ Cirque shows too. That to me is part of his illness.

The problem is when a mentally ill person takes such guidelines so bloody literal that if he fails to become a new Spielberg then he will get vindictive against the person who "prophecized" to him he could achieve that if he wanted...

Exactly, and the manic delusions seem to make people believe they're owed these things and that if they didn't happen it was because some other people sabotaged it, not their own failings.

I do believe he's mentally ill. He's calculating, but I do believe he's sick in the head. I think that will start revealing itself more and more too.

We all know he's innocent, there is no more explanation needed

Last edited:

respect said:
On the other hand, Wade's legal moves and actions are so focused on money that I tend to rather think it's just a cynical money grab and he was not really led to believe he was molested. Though in case of mental issues he might have convinced himself by now in order to feel better about what he's doing. I don't know. It seems both mental issues and greed to me.
I guess that's where i am too with wade. But I do agree with petrarose it will have to be pretty calculated. He's going to have to come up with specific sexual incidents covering 7 yrs of his life, and probably in a court of law. It's not just some vague notions of resentment, he'll have to give detailed testimony. I can perfectly see jason francia's memories of a bit of tickling with mj being corrupted by incessant badgering and therapy sessions into a fondle on his crotch area - it doesn't require a big stretch of the imagination. But wade is alleging abuse over a 7 yr term, that's a long time that will involve lots of scenarios differing in intensity i imagine - did their relationship develop for example? or was he taking showers at 7 as well as at 14. At the 05 trial Gavin got round describing the incidents by saying he was drunk so couldn't really give detailed testimony and jordan of course never had to give testimony in court, and the transcripts of his interview with gardener sound unconvincing and he just had a month or 2 to talk about.

I do believe he's mentally ill. He's calculating, but I do believe he's sick in the head. I think that will start revealing itself more and more too.

In my opinion, anyone who is capable of doing what Wade does is sick in the head.

I guess that's where i am too with wade. But I do agree with petrarose it will have to be pretty calculated. He's going to have to come up with specific sexual incidents covering 7 yrs of his life, and probably in a court of law. It's not just some vague notions of resentment, he'll have to give detailed testimony. I can perfectly see jason francia's memories of a bit of tickling with mj being corrupted by incessant badgering and therapy sessions into a fondle on his crotch area - it doesn't require a big stretch of the imagination. But wade is alleging abuse over a 7 yr term, that's a long time that will involve lots of scenarios differing in intensity i imagine - did their relationship develop for example? or was he taking showers at 7 as well as at 14. At the 05 trial Gavin got round describing the incidents by saying he was drunk so couldn't really give detailed testimony and jordan of course never had to give testimony in court, and the transcripts of his interview with gardener sound unconvincing and he just had a month or 2 to talk about.

I think as of right now, he doesn't have any full stories. I imagine almost all of them right now are pretty much the same, repeated over and over again. I imagine he's claiming talking about it is too painful.

It's not that I think he's mentally ill and having delusions he was molested (though he could believe his own lies), but I think his mental illness is making this story seem "real" to him.

Well, Francia was fired in 1991 so Wade was what, 8 at that point? So yeah, he's claiming everything started right away.

Back