Do you like the "king of pop" title?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
I personally dislike it, makes MJ's music sound cheap to me. I don't mind if it is being used in articles but I hate that it is used for official releases.

Anyway no big deal but I'm curious how you guys feel about it.

I personally dislike it, makes MJ's music sound cheap to me. I don't mind if it is being used in articles but I hate that it is used for official releases.

Anyway no big deal but I'm curious how you guys feel about it.
the only time i ever agreed with Oprah was when she told michael that "king of pop" was too limiting of a title for him. it diminishes the fact that michael was able to reach all kinds of demographics by relegating him solely to a pop title. and YES, it definitely has become way too commercialized. THANK YOU.

Personally it sounds pretty fitting, having such a highly regarded title on a genre that basically means "music that overall gets popular or put on a high status" which also encompasses any kind of specific genre as long as it fits that criteria feels like it's something no other artist of the past century could be called. Yeah, it can give the wrong or a lacking idea to someone about what MJ's music was and is about, but I still think that it is a very special title elevated by the fact that it's Michael Jackson wearing it (now for someone to be called anything remotely similar they'd have to reach his level on all fronts of his life and career, which is simply not possible and most likely never will) so I'm fine with it being embraced by basically everyone (specially considering how a lot of the public sees him, it's nice knowing he'll always be regarded like this most likely), including the estate.

I hate it, it's cringe. ''The Greatest Entertainer'', ''The Entertainer In Chief'', or the ''The Entertainment King'' sound waaay better!

The 'King of Pop' title refers mainly to the big sales of his 3 first adult pop albums which were unsurpassed by any other pop artist or pop band in the '80s.

Also, if fans believe that the 'King of Pop' title may sound limiting or cheap, then they should keep in mind that this is a shortened version of the actual title.

The actual title is 'King of Pop, Rock and Soul' (as given to him in 1989 by Elizabeth Taylor), which is of course a broader title.

MJ was hardly rock, if at all lol.

I think any "king" title is cringe; it's just too subjective, same with "The Greatest Entertainer in the World". Only title I'd use for MJ would be "The Gloved One".

I love it personally. Every other title people try to give MJ is painful in my opinion—The Gloved One especially is so corny.

I know it’s limiting to restrict MJ to just pop, but he did more for the genre than any other artist. He opened up possibilities for pop artists and set the benchmark of success. He absolutely influenced other genres, but pop music was literally never the same after he did his thing. In that regard, I absolutely think he deserves the King title. If anything, I’d call him the King of Music, because I cannot think of another artist whose influence is STILL prevalent and who changed so many avenues.

He is the King of Popular Culture. His music videos became as influential as cinema, and his music was treated like Picasso paintings. Even his albums slot together like a franchised story, like an ongoing narrative in visual media. So it's a fitting basic title, and it's an older name than most people on this sub.

I like regal status of it, I just wish the media didn't try to hand it to any "it" male pop star every 5 minutes. But it is what it is

Perhaps it's too limiting on the face of it but if you're entering his discography with the idea he was only a "pop" artist, you're in for a great surprise.

I don't like it. No offence to anyone but I don't like any of the alternative 'titles' either.

Having said that, it doesn't really bother me. It would be great, imo, if it wasn't used on official releases but mostly I completely ignore the whole thing.

Michael Jackson. In my world, that name alone is powerful. Doesn't need anything else.

The media did come up with the name after all. But they think they can just hand it off lol.
If memory serves well, I remember that when the Dangerous world tour opened in munich in 1992, on that very evening there was a TV special in France (and in many other countries I guess), including documentaries, music videos, and 'exclusive' broadcast of two songs live from munich. I mention it because I recall the presenter saying something like they were asked to call MJ the "king of pop" from now on (ie by MJ management / communication teams). After that it somewhat became usual, but it would be interesting to see a document (press release from this period if it exists) asking the media precisely for that !

I personally love it because it helps set him apart and remind the world, generations later, of the status he reached. I agree it's too limiting. I've never been much of a fan of pop, so before I became a fan of Michael I had assumptions about his music (as a whole, I mean... obviously I knew hits). He and his music are in a completely different league than the majority of the genre (which could be said for music across the board, imo). He set a standard. An unreachable and unachievable standard, for anyone else. Point is, I love the title but understand why some don't. Still I am grateful for the title because it's pretty secure in reinforcing MJ's icon status. Does he NEED a title for that? No. But with constant attacks on his legacy, it certainly helps to have a title that elevates him.

On a related not, something people may find interesting is if you Google "king of music" or "who is the king of music?" Michael comes up :)

Only title I'd use for MJ would be "The Gloved One".
Michael Jackson would have been angry if you called him 'The Gloved One' because he did not like that particular title, as revealed by John Branca.
If anything, I’d call him the King of Music, because I cannot think of another artist whose influence is STILL prevalent and who changed so many avenues.
Actually, Rodney Jerkins stated (right after attending the singer's second MSG 2001 show) that Michael Jackson should change his title from 'King Of Pop' to 'King of Music' (he stated that to the MJWN UK Fan Club).
If memory serves well, I remember that when the Dangerous world tour opened in munich in 1992, on that very evening there was a TV special in France (and in many other countries I guess), including documentaries, music videos, and 'exclusive' broadcast of two songs live from munich. I mention it because I recall the presenter saying something like they were asked to call MJ the "king of pop" from now on (ie by MJ management / communication teams). After that it somewhat became usual, but it would be interesting to see a document (press release from this period if it exists) asking the media precisely for that !
Press releases from this period do exist (asking the media precisely for that), as confirmed by the singer's long-time personal publicist Bob Jones.

For example, Michael Jackson and his management used to send memos to MTV requesting that Video Jockeys must refer to him as 'King Of Pop' only.

It is interesting that Video Jockeys were actually forced to call him 'King Of Pop' if they wanted to air the 'Black Or White' music video in their networks.

Actually, Rodney Jerkins stated (right after attending the singer's second MSG 2001 show) that Michael Jackson should change his title from 'King Of Pop' to 'King of Music' (he stated that to the MJWN UK Fan Club).
Honestly, I think “the King” is a more fitting title for Michael than Elvis. Michael had more crossover appeal and generational impact.

For example, Michael Jackson and his management used to send memos to MTV requesting that Video Jockeys must refer to him as 'King Of Pop' only.

It is interesting that Video Jockeys were actually forced to call him 'King Of Pop' if they wanted to air the 'Black Or White' music video in their networks.

Although I don't care for the "King of Pop" title, I don't blame MJ for doing this at all lol. IIRC, MJ started to mandate networks calling him by this title because the Grammy Awards snubbed him in 1988; they invited him to perform only to not give him any awards. If networks are gonna use you for their own gain, then it's only right that you'd get something out of it yourself.

You could call it being a diva, but he still allowed them to make money off of him when they accepted his conditions, so it checks out. "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours"

Last edited:
Back