Do you think Dangerous was beaten by Nevermind?

Hello guys!! :) Last monday I was watchin a progrmme of VH1 named Classics songs: Smells like teen spirit. Every single documentary I've ever seen about Nirvana had said how successful were the group 'cause of that album, or is it another MTV crap?
Honestly I don't think Nevermind beat Dangerous lyrically, melodicaly; I'm talkin about popularity, or sells.
I don't get what was the big deal with that album, I mean the blues was the pionere for writin depressive songs.
I appologize in advance if there are Nirvana fans here :)

That's the reason I'm talkin about sells or popularity. Dangerous has much better topic in the lyrics: LOVE, PASSION, DEATH, CHEATING TOLERANCE; Nevermind talks about depression, regection, depression.
I never understood what the grunge was; for me Pearl Jam has better songs than Nirvana

Billboard

These are a couple of Top 200 album charts from January 1992. This one is for the week of January 11, which is the week Nevermind knocked Dangerous from #1. Dangerous slipped to #5.
nkqjao3.png
The next week (January 18) Ropin' The Wind by Garth Brooks is #1 and Nevermind is #4. Dangerous goes up to #2. Garth has 2 albums in the Top 20 for both weeks
iPyj90K.png

This is the album chart a little over a month later (February 29, 1992). The first 2 spots are still the same, and Nevermind is #3. Garth now has 3 albums in the Top 20 and 2 are in the Top 5. So that gives an idea of how popular he was in the 1990s. Other than Nirvana, there are no other grunge related albums in the Top 25 and there wasn't any on the previous 2 charts either.

5d6142018e31623d69dd5943973a1f9f22b00f8c.jpg

Last edited:
Back