Do you think serious work was done with WBSS during the OTW sessions?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
The home demo is from 1978 right? So surely a quality track like that was considered for Off The Wall?

It wasn't, it was written for Latoya Jackson. Michael just kept it for himself, probably because he realized it was too good for Latoya (lol)

I don't think he went further than the demo we have

I don’t think the song was fully completed during the ‘off the wall’ sessions, due to the fact that the name ‘billie jean’ is mentioned in the lyrics. the incident with that woman didn’t happen until 1981.

wanna be startin somethin’ may have been partially inspired by latoya’s situation with her in-laws, but I don’t think it was intended for her to sing. john travolta also claimed that michael wrote the song for him after seeing ‘saturday night fever’.

regardless of its possible origins, the song is ultimately michael’s, and I’m so thankful because I think it’s his best 💜💜

WBSS demo is from 1981 around the Triumph tour. Bill Wolfer talks about it in an interview

Did Michael Afton not work out for you?
please please,don't blow his masterfully crafted cover up 🤫
who could this be,hmmm? 🤔..
(somewhat changed lycris,but I suppose that it does not matter,really)
oh who is he? ❔❔
oh who is he? ❔❔❕

I doubt it was worked on at Westlake, I was always under the impression Mike held onto it until the Thriller sessions begun.

I think Mike mentioned it in his book or in an interview somewhere

WBSS demo is from 1981 around the Triumph tour. Bill Wolfer talks about it in an interview
That is the second demo, which is actually a reworked version of the first demo which had been recorded in 1979.

The second demo appears also on the 'This Is It' posthumous compilation album.

I don’t know if Michael actually presented the song for OTW inclusion…..he just held on to it

Back