Does Michael Get Too Much Credit As A Producer... Or Not Enough?

Psychoniff

Proud Member
Would you say the same for an architect? Yes, it took builders and crane operators to put the structure in place, but ALL credit for the design, layout and overall IDEA(s) go to the architect. Without his/her blueprint, the building would NEVER exist. In other words, without MJ's IMAGINATION we would not have masterpieces like This Place Hotel, Billie Jean and Wanna Be Startin' Somethin among many many other songs. I also believe for that matter, he was cheated out of getting FULL producer's credit for those songs (have you not heard the demos).

I think Michael gets the credit he deserves, however - the general public does not know ALL that goes into the creation process... So in that regards he doesn't.. He's known as a genius but not many people know WHY! aside from great music,dance, and videos.. There is not enough emphasis on what happens in the back end.

There is just so much that goes into it.. Well there should be, I can't say the same for all music out today

Side note: in music creation though I think often he engineer gets the least appreciation for the impact they make on music..

Where Michael does not get credited for the influence he has on modern culture outside of music.. (and in music)

The film industry has been heavily influenced by MJ for example and hardly anyone knows it...

Last edited:
The general public doesn't give him enough credit as a producer, nor as a songwriter. A lot of people just think MJ had others produce and write his songs for him, and while that's true for a lot of his songs, there was still a lot he produced and wrote by himself.

I think Michael gets the credit he deserves, however - the general public does not know ALL that goes into the creation process... So in that regards he doesn't.. He's known as a genius but not many people know WHY! aside from great music,dance, and videos.. There is not enough emphasis on what happens in the back end.

There is just so much that goes into it.. Well there should be, I can't say the same for all music out today

Side note: in music creation though I think often he engineer gets the least appreciation for the impact they make on music..

Where Michael does not get credited for the influence he has on modern culture outside of music.. (and in music)

The film industry has been heavily influenced by MJ for example and hardly anyone knows it...

How so?

^
Well in 1999 Michael wanted to buy Marvel because he envisioned bringing Comic book movies to life and he specifically wanted to play spiderman.. He met with Stan Lee and expressed his wish... The fallowing year what happened... Spiderman went into production which kicked off the Comic book to film craze that is STILL making huge success in the box office..

^
Well in 1999 Michael wanted to buy Marvel because he envisioned bringing Comic book movies to life and he specifically wanted to play spiderman.. He met with Stan Lee and expressed his wish... The fallowing year what happened... Spiderman went into production which kicked off the Comic book to film craze that is STILL making huge success in the box office..
Not to be contradictory and really just asking: but I always thought the Christopher Reeves Superman movies in the 70s and the Tim Burton Batman movies in the 80s are what kicked off the comic book phase of movies.
Or are they just considered stand alone classics and Spider-man is what really started the phase we are in now and never seems to end?

Well there has always been comic book movies, but they never kicked off to the success it reached until Marvel decided to jump in and make it this big commodity that we know of it today. Of course we can't sit here and say it was MJ that did this. But it is not far fetch to say he triggered it through Stan Lee..

Spider-Man alone was the top grossing movie in the box office in 2002 over even lord of the rings, star wars, and harry potter..

3 of he top ten grossing movies of all time are Marvel films after the explosion in 2002..

^

It wasn't his idea to start making comic book movies. The first of the modern comic films was X-Men that came out in 2000. It was being planned many years before. James Cameron almost directed Spider-Man movie in the 90s.

It wont let me edit but 4 of 10 (not 3 of 10)

It wasn't his idea to start making comic book movies. The first of the modern comic films was X-Men that came out in 2000. It was being planned many years before. James Cameron almost directed Spider-Man movie in the 90s.

You wrong, It was Blade starring Wesley Snipes that started the comic book craze. Why do people forget that?

^ maybe cuz it did 131 million in the box office.. I wouldn't call the a 'craze'.. That's actually pretty low for a comic book movie.. Blade was not that big. lol

You wrong, It was Blade starring Wesley Snipes that started the comic book craze. Why do people forget that?

It's kind of hard to say when it started again. Spawn and Batman & Robin came in 1997 so superhero movies actually never ended. They just became even more popular.

There has been more comic book movies in the past 15 yrs than all years prior. and spiderman is what kicked it off.. Look at the box office #'s... after Spider man it became normal for a comic book movie to hit over half a billion in box office and that's why they keep pumping them out.

I don't know if Michael was really serious or not about playing Spider-Man, but I'm glad that never happened. He wouldn't have been right for the role. And he was too old in 1999 anyway

^ He wanted to play professor Xavier in x-men too.. Well and we all know he wanted to be play Peter Pan in Hook also..

There has been more comic book movies in the past 15 yrs than all years prior. and spiderman is what kicked it off.. Look at the box office #'s... after Spider man it became normal for a comic book movie to hit over half a billion in box office and that's why they keep pumping them out.
Thank you. That's what I was looking for-I really wanted to see Spider-man when it came out because I thought Tobey McGuire was just brilliantly cast in that part (one of my favorite comics as a kid). And it seems like the craze hasn't let up since then-every year another couple come out. But that and the Wolverine movie were the last two comic book movies I saw.

I loved the Batman movies that Tim Burton made-but I love the eccentric, fantasy quality of them-and the music.

^ He wanted to play professor Xavier in x-men too.. Well and we all know he wanted to be play Peter Pan in Hook also..
The Peter Pan movie that Spielberg and Michael planned was around the time he was doing the ET storybook, so it was quite different than the version SS ended up doing-the other day, though, I was daydreaming and thinking about Michael actually playing the Captain Hook part-with his long curls and that gorgeous pirate hat-long sash tied around his hips-and the boots-totally different idea-and I can see it in my head. Somewhat of a cross between Kevin Kline in Pirates of the Penzance and Gene Kelly in the Pirate. Mmmm. Quite a swashbuckling part-wish they had thought of something like that!!!!

^

Holy shit son, talk about a massive stretch, Michael Jackson had nothing to do with the 2002 Spider-Man film! In fact, the film itself has quite a long line of development hell and was drowning in legal rights issues; Michael Jackson being interested in playing a character (who btw is meant to be half his age) would not have gotten it out of development hell. In fact, Stan Lee was never sure if Michael wanted to play the character or produce it because Lee says that the conversation never got that far along [Source].

Marvel had been trying to get a Spider-Man film off the ground since 1985 with even James Cameron writing a scriptment at one point. It's a bit complicated but the gist seems to be this: Cannon Films held the rights from 1985 and the film went into pre-production with even Tom Cruise being looked at to play the hero. In the late 80s, Cannon Films was having a financial crisis and after $1.5million had been spent on the film, production was shut down. Extending his rights with Marvel to late 1992, Cannon Films' chief Menahem Golan then became part of 21st Century Film Corp (not to be confused with 20th Century Fox, they're two separate companies). Another company in 1990 called Carolco had a completed Spider-Man screenplay by James Cameron, with Cameron then submitting another scriptment with an alternative story some time soon. In 1991, Marvel, 21st Century and Carolco all entered into an agreement that replaced the one made earlier between 21st and Marvel. With this, deal for Marvel to have the rights to Spider-Man had a film not been completed was pushed to May 1996. In the years after, attempts were made to get the film off the ground but the film became entangled in a series of legal rights issues. Eventually in 1996, all three companies became bankrupt.

MGM acquired all the rights to 21st Century's film library and assets, including all the drafts to the Spider-Man films up to that point. MGM then sued 21st Century, Viacom and Marvel but the courts had determined that Golan's rights to the film had expired and thus returned the rights back to Marvel in 1998. In 1999, Marvel licensed the rights to Columbia Pictures/Sony Pictures and MGM disputed the legality, still claiming it had the rights to the Spider-Man films. In March 1999, they finally came to a deal. Columbia Pictures would give up the rights to a new James Bond series to MGM, and MGM in return dropped it's case and allowed Columbia/Sony to make the new Spider-Man film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_in_film#Development
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_(2002_film)#Development
http://variety.com/1998/film/news/spider-man-s-legal-web-may-finally-be-unraveled-1117479641/

It's pretty clear that Marvel had made multiple attempts to get a Spider-Man film off the ground since the mid 80s but a huge number of obstacles kept getting in the way until the turn of the century. Michael Jackson had nothing to do with any of this.

Last edited:
Back