Donating Blood...

Severus Snape

Proud Member
So, yesterday was my first time donating blood. I was so nervous and scared. I dislike pain, so the thought of being pricked and having someone put an IV in my arm to take blood from me made me rather uneasy. I considered running away and returning to my dorm many times, but I never went through with it.

I was feeling rather bad that day--I had no sleep, and the coldness of a person I happen to like really got to me. Shallow, I know, but sometimes little things like that really get to us.

Anyway, I decided I would no longer just sit around and be miserable. If I was to suffer, it would be for the benefit of someone else. So, I went to our college's blood drive and volunteered to give blood. I did it because I knew Michael would approve of it, and because I wanted my suffering to be another person's salvation. I wanted to reach out to a complete stranger who was suffering as well, and give some hope via my blood.

So I decided to go through with it in the end, despite my shaking and general anxiousness. It was, in the end, relatively painless, and I felt Michael was there, making sure everything went OK. I felt so glad that I could do something for someone, that I started to cry. I don't know why, but the thought that someone can recover because of my suffering just made me cry. It's a beautiful thought.

I felt rather tired after that, so I went to bed. I woke up a day after. >.>

But anyway, just thought I would share this with you guys. ^___^

i want to donate too but last time i went for a simple blood test they couldn't put the needle in right and it hurt a lot and i went into shock.
i don't even know my blood type

i want to donate blood, but i can't because i don't weigh enough :mello:

Oh how nice that you found the courage to donate blood, mikagesouji :flowers: Hopefully you start doing it on a regular basis :)

I think that's a simple and easy way to help :yes: I've only managed to donate once because my hemoglobin tends to be too low, unfortunately :(

However, last summer I lost a lot of blood myself and was then given some, and now I think it's "payback" time! As soon as it's possible I will go and donate again, no doubt :)

That's such a nice gesture :clapping:
I can't even donate blood because I'm on the slim side. Last time I went to draw blood for some medical tests, they couldn't even get enough from my veins...

I donated once. I was right at the cutoff for weight but they took me anyway. I donated, rested for a little, got up and went over to the table to have juice and a cookie, then passed out. They had to wheel me back over to a table to lie on. I don't weigh enough now to donate.

That's such a nice gesture :clapping:
I can't even donate blood because I'm on the slim side. Last time I went to draw blood for some medical tests, they couldn't even get enough from my veins...

You sure have enough blood for medical tests but I guess your veins were hard to find or small.
Sometimes it´s the one who takes the bloodsample who isn´t that good at it.

I´ve never been afraid of needles and blood, in fact I work with it.
But I know people who take bloodsamples from others but are afraid if someone would do it to them.
I haven´t donated blood for a while but I use to feel good afterwards.

Thank you all for your comments. =)

I felt like I was going to pass out too, but luckily I didn't. I reckon I must have just been nervous. They had to keep me around extra long just to make sure I would be OK, because I was shaking afterwards. The lady was like, "are you sure you're OK?" I told her I was, because I knew I was. It was just that I was nervous--I get anxiety attacks a lot and I know how to tell the difference between anxiety and a genuine medical reaction to something because I've had both.

Luckily, all went OK and I live to tell the tale. =)

Even though I don't believe in organ donation. Giving blood is something I would like to do. But I remember back in the late 90s I was tested by my school I think to see if I could give blood. And I was told I couldn't because my blood was too thin or something like that. And plus my veins are like so hard to find for the needle to be put in to my arm. I remember this one time years ago I had to go get blood work done on me. It took 2 nurses several minutes trying to find my veins. So they can put the needle in. My veins are that hard to find. So giving blood is something I want to do but I can't. Though I would like to know what my blood type is. But I am glad that there are people that can give blood.

Good for you! You could be saving someone's life with your donation. I used to donate regularly at the blood drives held at my work place. I never had any problems except I always hated the short required Q & A session with a tech person prior to drawing blood, which asked very personal questions but I got through it. Needles don't bother me and I loved the cookies and juice served after.:) Also, I'm a federal worker so 4 hours of administrative leave are granted when you donate blood which was a nice incentive. However, the last time I donated I did not feel well afterward so I haven't donated in a few years. But I think I will participate at the next blood drive.

Good for you! You could be saving someone's life with your donation. I used to donate regularly at the blood drives held at my work place. I never had any problems except I always hated the short required Q & A session with a tech person prior to drawing blood, which asked very personal questions but I got through it. Needles don't bother me and I loved the cookies and juice served after.:) Also, I'm a federal worker so 4 hours of administrative leave are granted when you donate blood which was a nice incentive. However, the last time I donated I did not feel well afterward so I haven't donated in a few years. But I think I will participate at the next blood drive.

You should! I am sure someone will really appreciate it.

It is my fervent hope that my donation be used in order to save someone's life. That's all I would ever dream of doing.

I hate the Q & A as well. They do it digitally now, though. At least that's how they did it at my college's blood drive.

Needles scare me, feeling my pulse/blood/heart scares me, and putting stuff in my veins scares me. I did it anyway, though. I think I was close to fainting at one point because that's all my least favourite things in one sitting lol. xDDD

Donated I think 3 times. never thought I would be a recipient though.
Had blood poisoning for 2yrs so needed transfusions. Im well now though

Back