Donny Osmond planned duet of "I Wish" w/ Michael back in the early 90s-now he wants duet with Janet

barbee0715

Proud Member
DONNY OSMOND WANTS TO DUET WITH JANET

cec75389e782730803eaed0c1ef61af7584f4e72.jpg

More than 40 years into his career, Donny Osmond has released The Soundtrack of My Life, a genre- and decade-spanning collection of his favorite cover songs, from Stevie Wonder’s “My Cheri Amour” to Peter Gabriel’s “Don’t Give Up.” But when it comes to his dream collaborations, there’s one duet partner that Donny has in mind: 2015 BET Ultimate Icon Award recipient Janet Jackson.
Speaking to Yahoo Music, Donny says: “People ask me, 'Who would you like to sing with?’ And of course, Beyoncé and Rihanna and Sam Smith and Ed Sheeran, all these guys would be fun, but does it make sense? What I think would be really cool artistically, and from a family point of view, is to do a duet with Janet Jackson. Think about it: the juxtaposition between the Jacksons and the Osmonds.”

Donny says this isn’t the first time he’s had hopes of dueting with a Jackson; in fact, back in the '90s, he almost recorded with Janet’s brother, Michael. “Michael and I were going to do a duet together, and just as everything was hitting the fan for him with all the terrible charges against him, he called me up and said, 'We’re going to have to postpone it until this blows away,’ and I said, 'All right, let’s wait.’
"I had the track cut; it was going to be 'I Wish’ by Stevie Wonder. I played Stevie the track and he said, 'Oh, this is gonna be great,’ because the lyrics tie in to both of us: ‘I wish those days could come back once more.’ Michael was very excited about it. I went over to Neverland and played it for him, and he said, 'Yup, let’s get it done, this is going to be perfect!’ And it just never happened. So I think with that in mind, especially with a 'Donny & Marie’ kind of a thing going on, 'Donny & Janet’ would be an interesting thing that would make sense.”

At the moment, however, Donny says he hasn’t “even pursued this [with Janet] at all; I just think it would be kind of a cool idea. Change it from 'Donny & Marie’ to 'Donny & Janet.’ There you go!”
Meanwhile, Donny’s recent cover of “My Cherie Amour” does feature an appearance by the aforementioned Stevie Wonder. “As the album title states, it’s the soundtrack of my life. These songs were pivotal parts of my life, defining moments of my career and my personal life. For instance, 'My Cherie Amour’ was the first 45 I ever bought. I listened to KHJ in Southern California, I think I was 9 or 10 years old, and immediately I went to my mom and said, 'Please take me to the record store, I have to buy this record!’ And I brought it home and listened to it over and over and over again.

'Just the fact I was able to get Stevie to play on my version of his hit was so cool. I called him up and I told him the story that I just told you, and he said, 'Send me the MP3, because he wasn’t going to commit to just anything — it’s Stevie Wonder, after all. A few hours after I sent it, my phone rings, and Stevie says, 'I just heard the track and it’s unbelievable; I love it, I gotta be part of this project, send me the masters!’
"Not only did he play on it, he sent me an MP3 of him telling me exactlyhow to produce the record. He said, 'OK, now I want you to put my solo here and I want you to sing this'… he really emotionally got into it, which was really cool for me. I keep that little MP3 on my phone and listen to Stevie talking to me all the time.”

[video]https://youtu.be/XKJqQjlyIsc[/video]

(I personally was sorry that Michael and Donny didn't do "I Wish"-it would have been really great, I think)

Re: Donny Osmond planned duet of "I Wish" w/ Michael back in the early 90s-now he wants duet with Ja

I personally was sorry that Michael and Donny didn't do "I Wish"-it would have been really great, I think

I do not believe him regarding Michael. I do understand he is quite the fan of Wonder so I am glad he had the opportunity to work with him.

Re: Donny Osmond planned duet of "I Wish" w/ Michael back in the early 90s-now he wants duet with Ja

I don't know how true is this re. the Michael duet or how serious MJ was about releasing it.

I do not believe him regarding Michael. I do understand he is quite the fan of Wonder so I am glad he had the opportunity to work with him.
I'm glad too. It seems like every month I read something new about Michael-either from a former colleague, friend, family or loved one, etc. A lot of them I just blow off as being totally un-true. Some of them are pretty credible, and they confirm things that I had imagined or reasoned out in my head by reading between the lines many years.

This one, I don't know if it's true or not-but it's a story I would like to be true.

Barbee0715, this would have been the Dangerous/History era and Michael was extremely creative. I personally do not see Michael covering a Stevie Wonder song at that time or any time in his career alone or with anyone; let alone Osmond who was having his own issues at that time.

Yes. When I heard this story before it was 90 or 91 when they talked about it. Michael would have been thick into Dangerous then.

I was thinking Donny probably wanted a real killer song to follow up his comeback song Soldier of Love. Which he credits Michael to this day for the idea of the unknown artist.

And it would have been sentimental to boot. The song is anyway with the added bonus of being written by Stevie. He's important to both of them.

And I can picture the video with the film of their childhoods on stage.
It could be they said they'd try to do it after the tour but then the allegations happened.

But We'll never know unless Stevie knows something about it.

But We'll never know unless Stevie knows something about it.

If Wonder knew, it would mean Michael was serious. I believe Michael simply could not tell Osmond no and allowed him his dream. I do not know Michael however; I cannot believe Michael would cover a Wonder tune.

@staywild23

This probably isn't of any interest to your Mum but thought I'd flag it up, anyway. I don't like duets as a rule but a duet of Donny and Michael doing Stevie's song - that would have been quite something.

@staywild23

This probably isn't of any interest to your Mum but thought I'd flag it up, anyway. I don't like duets as a rule but a duet of Donny and Michael doing Stevie's song - that would have been quite something.
Thank you!! :) It's funny you say that... I recently spoke to her about something related to Donny Osmond and she informed me she "no longer thinks much of him" lol. I have no idea what prompted this, but I was shocked. I did listen to the latest episode of the MJ Cast and there is a very sweet story about Donny supporting Michael during the trials and visiting him for several hours, privately. It was really sweet to hear and I found it quite moving to imagine. So that's increased my interest in him, if nothing else!

Thank you!! :) It's funny you say that... I recently spoke to her about something related to Donny Osmond and she informed me she "no longer thinks much of him" lol. I have no idea what prompted this, but I was shocked. I did listen to the latest episode of the MJ Cast and there is a very sweet story about Donny supporting Michael during the trials and visiting him for several hours, privately. It was really sweet to hear and I found it quite moving to imagine. So that's increased my interest in him, if nothing else!
There's also the fact that after the trial (not sure exactly when) Donny invited Michael and the kids to come and stay with him in Utah. Just hang out with Donny and his family (he has five boys) and it would be away from the showbiz bubble and media nonsense. Michael seemed interested, IIRC, but never followed through.

Last edited:
Back