Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough has reached (and surpassed) one-hundred million views making it Vevo

MJ isn't only doing well on YouTube and other visual platforms, though. He is also doing well on audio-based platforms. For example, on Spotify (only audio) MJ and Queen are basically the only veteran artists regularly in the Top 100.

Currently MJ is at #83 with 9,429,469 monthly listens ("monthly listens" always shows the number of listens for the past 28 days).

In comparation:

Beatles 7,293,744 (#118)
Elvis Presley 3,977,970 (#304)
Madonna 4,401,954 (#263)

Not to mention MJ is regularly on the Billboard 200 album charts with at least 2-3 albums. MJ's presistence is definitely not limited to YouTube and visual platforms, so I would say his music is just as presistent without the videos as well. There are differences between which songs are popular on YT and on Spotify - eg. Thriller is his #1 song on YT, but Billie Jean is on Spotify, but he is good on both kind of platforms. YouTube, however, is the most important streaming service because it has by far the biggest audience.

Oh absolutely! I know he does exceptionally well on Spotify and the rest and I wasn't trying to imply he didn't do well in the audio-only realms. Should've worded my post better given Michael does have a huge number of infectious songs that people would love and will love, regardless of music video status. This is all evidential by Spotify's stats alone, as you posted!

To clarify what I meant better, there's just times where I feel his visual work (as in, music videos + dance moves) overshadows his music because thats what he's most renowned for. I feel that the first thing the general public always seem to think of when it comes to MJ is amazing dancer for example or omg I love Thriller [the video]. And hey, don't get me wrong, that's great because he's still getting widespread recognition for something!

But sometimes I feel he doesn't get enough recognition for his musicianship; there's always been this struggle by us fans to get people to realise that MJ wasn't just this amazing dancer or guy who made cool music videos, but that he was an incredible songwriter and producer in himself. Thats what I meant :) (and therefore in turn, it's because of that recognition of his visual achievements that he does so well on visual mediums, as opposed to other artists who's recognitions are more focused on audio, even if some of them absolutely have their place in music video history).

Do like though how of the 5 artists you mentioned, the top three are all favourites of mine. It's like Michael said: "Great music is immortal" :D

Yep, that happened for every artist during the transition to Vevo. Really unfortunate timing there.

Of course. And it is worth pointing out. But to me when you are comparing MJ with artists active after the reset then it's not a level playing field and should be noted. Of course it isn't a level playing field regardless, but Thriller for example had an astromical amount of views prior to the reset.

MJ is the tortoise in this fable.

Of course. And it is worth pointing out. But to me when you are comparing MJ with artists active after the reset then it's not a level playing field and should be noted. Of course it isn't a level playing field regardless, but Thriller for example had an astromical amount of views prior to the reset.

MJ is the tortoise in this fable.

Astronomical for 2009 YouTube, sure, but I don't think it makes too much of a difference in the context of YouTube today. I did some searching and I found some playcounts in August 2009... (for reference, Vevo transition was very early October).

August 2009 | October 2016 | Total:
Thriller: 63.6 million | 352.2 mil | 415.8 mil

Billie Jean: 36.4 million | 239.5 mil | 275.9 mil

Beat It: 45.4 million | 193.1mil+78.1mil | 316.6 mil*
^Note: 2009 stats isn't "remastered" version

Rock With You: 9.9 million | 62.9 mil | 72.8 mil

Smooth Criminal: 33.4 million | 55.8+60.8 mil | 150 mil*
^Note: 2009 stats is for 4m version

Black or White: 23.9 million | 143.0 mil | 166.9 mil

Bad: 29.3 million | 166 mil | 195.3mil

DSTYGE: 33.8 million | 100.1mil | 133.9 mil

Man in the Mirror: 1.7 million | 58.9mil | 60.6 mil

The 2009 numbers are quite impressive for their time but for the most part, I don't think they would level the playing field too much more in the context of 2016 YouTube, where it's not hard for modern artists to get hundreds of millions of views easily (I saw a lyric video of a song featuring Bieber, only 2 months old and already has 300+ million views). Some of them - like Thriller - get a pretty nice boost though!

It's more difficult for Beat It and Smooth Criminal too (which I have starred appropriately) as they have two different versions to choose from. Like ignoring the pre-Vevo stats, Smooth Criminal would already be Vevo Verified if there was only one version online.

You're still right though, regardless of Vevo transition or not, it's not going to be a level playing field and that's for understandable reasons. Doesn't bother me though because, aside from his impressive stats, there are other fields that slide in Michael's favour :)

Last edited:
Astronomical for 2009 YouTube, sure, but I don't think it makes too much of a difference in the context of YouTube today. I did some searching and I found some playcounts in August 2009... (for reference, Vevo transition was very early October).

August 2009 | October 2016 | Total:
Thriller: 63.6 million | 352.2 mil | 415.8 mil

Billie Jean: 36.4 million | 239.5 mil | 275.9 mil

Beat It: 45.4 million | 193.1mil+78.1mil | 316.6 mil*
^Note: 2009 stats isn't "remastered" version

Rock With You: 9.9 million | 62.9 mil | 72.8 mil

Smooth Criminal: 33.4 million | 55.8+60.8 mil | 150 mil*
^Note: 2009 stats is for 4m version

Black or White: 23.9 million | 143.0 mil | 166.9 mil

Bad: 29.3 million | 166 mil | 195.3mil

DSTYGE: 33.8 million | 100.1mil | 133.9 mil

Man in the Mirror: 1.7 million | 58.9mil | 60.6 mil

The 2009 numbers are quite impressive for their time but for the most part, I don't think they would level the playing field too much more in the context of 2016 YouTube, where it's not hard for modern artists to get hundreds of millions of views easily (I saw a lyric video of a song featuring Bieber, only 2 months old and already has 300+ million views). Some of them - like Thriller - get a pretty nice boost though!

It's more difficult for Beat It and Smooth Criminal too (which I have starred appropriately) as they have two different versions to choose from. Like ignoring the pre-Vevo stats, Smooth Criminal would already be Vevo Verified if there was only one version online.

You're still right though, regardless of Vevo transition or not, it's not going to be a level playing field and that's for understandable reasons. Doesn't bother me though because, aside from his impressive stats, there are other fields that slide in Michael's favour :)

You're right. I had remembered the view counts being higher until I did some research this afternoon.

Though it would appear that Thriller was one of the most watched videos of 'any' kind on YouTube pre-2009. I think YouTube has evolved into something quite different since then which has resulted in a shift in its use and audience, and subsequently in MJ's views 'slowing down'. I don't think Thriller is suddenly any less popular.

But MJ still keeping his head above water in this market is certainly impressive, and again he be the tortoise.

Scream and Smooth Criminal have 59 and 55 million views each. Expected both of them to have over 100 million views tbh as they are two of Michael's best music videos imo.

this is why I think we should have MJ youtube page streamed here, that would help hits easy lol

Scream and Smooth Criminal have 59 and 55 million views each. Expected both of them to have over 100 million views tbh as they are two of Michael's best music videos imo.

Smooth Criminal does have a lot of views if you add up all the different videos of it. 56 million for VEVO, 12 million for Bluray, 55 million live version, 43 million lyrics video, etc. I think it's one of those videos that is not available everywhere, that's why you see such an abnormally high amount for the live and lyrics versions. And if I weren't an MJ fan, I'd click on the lyrics video first because I have no idea what he's singing half the time :p I thought he said "Annie are you walking" for the longest time, lol.

Btw do you guys also have that problem that you see certain videos on his VEVO channel and they are available, but when you just enter Michael Jackson + song title in the search bar you don't get the VEVO version? I have that with RTT for example.

Last edited:
Smooth Criminal does have a lot of views if you add up all the different videos of it. 56 million for VEVO, 12 million for Bluray, 55 million live version, 43 million lyrics video, etc. I think it's one of those videos that is not available everywhere, that's why you see such an abnormally high amount for the live and lyrics versions. And if I weren't an MJ fan, I'd click on the lyrics video first because I have no idea what he's singing half the time :p I thought he said "Annie are you walking" for the longest time, lol.

I also think there was a Smooth Criminal fan upload that had the most views but it got deleted or something. So Smooth Criminal's numbers are a bit misleading.

YANA now has 100,778,838 views. The next most popular video is You Rock My World (Extended version) with 97,454,987 views. :)

Back