Don't understand Jermaine's song "Word to the Badd"

There was also an additional reason as to why Jermaine Jackson wrote that song.

While Jermaine Jackson was working on his 'You Said' album with "L.A." Reid and Babyface, Michael Jackson took these 2 producers from him in order to work with him on his 'Dangerous' album.

So, "L.A." Reid and Babyface joined Michael Jackson, leaving Jermaine Jackson in the lurch.

Without these 2 producers, Jermaine Jackson was making no progress with his album although he was paying the rent for the recording studios while he was waiting for them to come back in order to resume work on his album.

That was the time when Jermaine Jackson became very angry with Michael Jackson, so he sat down and wrote such provocative lyrics against his own brother.

There was also an additional reason as to why Jermaine Jackson wrote that song.

While Jermaine Jackson was working on his 'You Said' album with "L.A." Reid and Babyface, Michael Jackson took these 2 producers from him in order to work with him on his 'Dangerous' album.

So, "L.A." Reid and Babyface joined Michael Jackson, leaving Jermaine Jackson in the lurch.

Without these 2 producers, Jermaine Jackson was making no progress with his album although he was paying the rent for the recording studios while he was waiting for them to come back in order to resume work on his album.

That was the time when Jermaine Jackson became very angry with Michael Jackson, so he sat down and wrote such provocative lyrics against his own brother.
I read this story before and if it is true, then I can understand why Jermaine wrote and recorded Word To The Badd.

It isn't true, they produced the album, it was a commercial failure. Easy to look up. Michael wouldn't have done such a thing, why should he have when he was one of the biggest superstars in the world? Why would he worry about anything his siblings made? He also was never a vindictive person. Michael's family had been trying to bring him down for years. Do careful research. You're not a fan unless you get your facts straight.

I'm here to give my two cents to this little discussion because what some people wrote just shocked me.

I think a lot of fans love to demonize the members of the Jackson family, pour out their hatred towards them (as if they weren't suffering enough from this situation) and propel Michael to the level of god (I love him, he's nice but like us, he's a human who could be very selfish). You guys are getting excited because Jermaine made a song (legitimate in my opinion, what Michael did to him doesn't seem super nice but that's none of our business again, are their quarrels as brothers and sisters) because he has become saturated with Michael (stealing from producers, Michael's success, strained relationships, arguments between brothers, etc.). It's all well and good to say that Jermaine has no talent or even a career and that he was jealous of Michael since August 29, 1958, but we must not forget that it is normal to be jealous and that 'a song is made to express the deepest feelings. He didn't insult Michael directly in the song. The only problematic part is the one about vitiligo, even apart from that, I no longer see a song that talks about a brother angry because of their relationship which is deteriorating (Michael and him are no longer close it seems to me ) and Michael's "selfishness" (perhaps in private he was selfish). Jermaine looks as worried as he is angry. This isn't a hate song where he trashes Michael for free like Eminem and others have done. I think he mainly wanted to call out to him like Michael called out to "Billie Jean" and "D.S" (even if it was worse because in Jermaine's case, he's a member of his family but you see where I'm going return). Afterwards, they resolved their issues and reconciled. Case closed. Point.

But seriously, calm down guys! I see some fans outright insulting Jermaine and even LaToya (who was beaten by her husband for talking trash to reporters) because of what they "did" in the past. This was almost thirty years ago. I have some reservations about Jermaine's actions because of what I've heard about him even though I don't know him so I don't judge him, but in this story he's not that wrong as that. You need to do your research before insulting someone. I advise you to rebel against people who call Michael "pedo" rather than his brother who supported him in the most difficult times. THANKS.

Last edited:
Back