Don't understand Jermaine's song "Word to the Badd"

I'm guessing that Jermaine didn't know. I don't think Michael was that close to him at that point, so he probably didn't tell him.

I imagine that it was pretty devastating for Michael to be diagnosed with a disease like that, so he probably kept it a secret from a lot of people.

This is an old and uncomfortable issue.

Obviously Jermain didn't know what he was talking about and I like to think he is regretting about this song now. I don't think MJ talked about his condition not even to his family until Oprah's interview, who knows why, but it looks like that's how it happened.

Maybe he didn't know about MJ's vitiligo. Maybe he knew but he deliberately wanted to hurt him. Anything is possible.

Once you were made
You changed your shade
Was your color wrong?
Could not turn back
It's a known fact
You were too far gone
You know I tried to be there for you
Like a brother I care for you
It didn't matter you always play me off
You only care about what you want
You don't care about how it's done
You only think about you, your throne
Be it right or wrong

Really Jermanine, really? Geez...

such a shame!!
Michael had very good reasons to be very angry to some of his siblings, but he never went around bashing them. And MIchael could have certainly done a great song about that!!
Jermain did really wrong with that song.... long ago, I know... but still so sad. Michael deserved better :(

Because he was jealous of his brother's success and wanted to hurt his feelings.

Exactly.

I don't believe for a minute that Jermaine didn't know about MJ's condition. Come on, if your own brother went from black to white within a few years you wouldn't ask questions? Maybe he didn't discuss it with Michael himself, but surely he would've asked Katherine about it. And as close as Michael was to his mother, there is no way Katherine didn't know about Michael's Vitiligo at that point. No way. Besides, there were already signs of Michael's condition during the Victory tour. I'm sure we all remember that picture of MJ singing and sweating and there's a huge white blotch around his neck. Surely one of his brothers must have noticed that.

And still, even IF Jermaine didn't know, there was no need to add that part. The song was dispicable enough already. I read somewhere (I think it was Margaret's book) that Michael was crying about it and begging Jermaine not to release it. In the end though, it damaged Jermaine's career far more than it did Michael's.

I read sometime back that Mike confronted Jermaine about this. I think Mike was already living at Neverland at the time and he asked Jermaine to meet him at Hayvenhurst where they had a long drawn out meeting. I think this is a typical case of sibling rivalry where big brother is eclipsed by younger brother and jealous big brother tries to take down the immensely famous younger brother down a notch.

I read sometime back that Mike confronted Jermaine about this. I think Mike was already living at Neverland at the time and he asked Jermaine to meet him at Hayvenhurst where they had a long drawn out meeting. I think this is a typical case of sibling rivalry where big brother is eclipsed by younger brother and jealous big brother tries to take down the immensely famous younger brother down a notch.

Yes. This is sibling rivalry. I know some of you were not around then, but in the beginning Jermaine was the lead singer. He even talks about it on a 1970s' Soul Train episode. Once they realized the potential of Michael, little Michael took the lead spot, although Jermaine remained the guy that the teens girl were hot for.

Also, remember that in the beginning, Michael did not tell the public about his condition, so we saw him lighter and did not know the facts. People assumed that he was changing his skin because the media said so, and Michael took years to disclose his condition publicly. However, I have to say that Jermaine being part of the family must have known about this extreme medical condition that his brother had. It is not like the common cold and any family member would certainly ask about it.

Pretty certain that during the Oprah interview, Michael said that when it first started happening, Joe informed him his grandfather or something had it and it ran in the family. So I assume Jermaine was well aware of the condition and made the song and it's lyrics out of pure spite and jealousy.

I understand fights between brothers. Those of us who have brothers/sister know well about this, for sure! ;)
However, I think it's quite different fight with your brother/sister at home or within your family environment than taking the fight to the streets and to the radios and making fun of your own brother/sister in public. Not to mention making that a worldwide event. ANd I don't mean the whole world was waiting for Jermain's song at all (nooo!); I mean the world and media were always waiting for whatever thing that will arise to make fun of Michael. That's the main difference, in my opinion.

Poor baby, he deserved better. Sure he suffered a lot because of this :(

I think it's obvious what the point of the song was, what Jermaine's intentions were, whether he knew of Michael's vitiligo or not is wholly irrelevant. The rest of the song makes his intent crystal clear--and his sentiments are shown beyond the shadow of a single doubt. Jermaine was always jealous of Michael--how humiliating it must be to be the older brother, and still so mediocre, plain, and ugly, to watch from the shadows as your younger brother becomes the center of the universe [as he did during the 80's, and not even today's artists have been able to reproduce that level of fame and, for lack of a better term, 'mania.' Not one--Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Ke$ha, Usher, Justin Timberlake, not one of them has been chased by a throng of loyal fans for years on end. Michael's fame is simply beyond compare.] In any case, imagine having to be compared to that [none of us do, but you can be certain he does, in his mind, and wonders why it was Michael and not he, whom Destiny picked to be great.] So, a lot of that self-loathing and jealousy reflects itself in these words he penned, down from the darkest parts of his own heart, with no intent in mind other than to scratch greatness and to hurt him even just a little bit--that, at least, still remained within his power.

By that time, Jermaine was more than washed-up. He's never made a successful comeback, because he just doesn't have it in him to do so. There was nothing left to do but to give voice to that shadow he found himself being, and to let the world know what it's like to be forever eclipsed by the greatest star who ever shone.

Jermaine and MJ was beefing MJ got sick and tired of Jermaine and his BS bringing down the family with his horrible ways we all know he has kids every where like MJ was really going in on his family hard around this time when this song was release even thro Jermaine promise MJ he was going to release it got leak and MJ showed up and his mothers house and laid hands on Jermaine badly and won the first according to one of Jermaine's Baby mamas in the jet Mag i remember her speaking out going in on Jermaine she said MJ wasn't no punk and he beat him up latoya ran in the bathroom cause she also was talking out of pocket its a lot u fans don't know and this wasn't only said by his brother BM some one who have met MJ told me this same sorry online i went off on this person thinking it was a life this person had full details turns out to be the truth MJ is something esle I love his hood side for real

Jermaine and MJ was beefing MJ got sick and tired of Jermaine and his BS bringing down the family with his horrible ways we all know he has kids every where like MJ was really going in on his family hard around this time when this song was release even thro Jermaine promise MJ he was going to release it got leak and MJ showed up and his mothers house and laid hands on Jermaine badly and won the first according to one of Jermaine's Baby mamas in the jet Mag i remember her speaking out going in on Jermaine she said MJ wasn't no punk and he beat him up latoya ran in the bathroom cause she also was talking out of pocket its a lot u fans don't know and this wasn't only said by his brother BM some one who have met MJ told me this same sorry online i went off on this person thinking it was a life this person had full details turns out to be the truth MJ is something esle I love his hood side for real

According to Margaret (Jermaine's ex who was living at Hayvenhurst at the time) that story about Michael and Jermaine getting into a physical fight was not true. What happened was that Michael indeed came to Hayvenhurst to talk to Jermaine about the song. He, Jermaine and Katherine (as a mediator) then went into a room to discuss it. Michael was begging and pleading with Jermaine not to release the song and crying and saying "How could you do this to me? I'm your brother!" but Jermaine was stubborn and refused to give in. Michael warned him that this would harm Jermaine's own career far more than Michael's, which it did. Michael stayed quiet for most of the conversation, Katherine sided with Michael. He eventually left. Margaret heard this through Katherine.

According to Margaret (Jermaine's ex who was living at Hayvenhurst at the time) that story about Michael and Jermaine getting into a physical fight was not true. What happened was that Michael indeed came to Hayvenhurst to talk to Jermaine about the song. He, Jermaine and Katherine (as a mediator) then went into a room to discuss it. Michael was begging and pleading with Jermaine not to release the song and crying and saying "How could you do this to me? I'm your brother!" but Jermaine was stubborn and refused to give in. Michael warned him that this would harm Jermaine's own career far more than Michael's, which it did. Michael stayed quiet for most of the conversation, Katherine sided with Michael. He eventually left. Margaret heard this through Katherine.
ether way ..however it went down....all it proves is that.Jermaine is an ASSHOLE. what kind of person goes public and tries to disrespect their own brother..Jermaine sucks.

What? Are you saying that Michael beat up Jermain. This is just too funny. I would like to see that.

Oh someone said it is not true. Well the thought gave me some pleasure.

I heard that Jermaine was going to work with some people (LaFace?) for his new album and he was bragging about it to MJ. But then MJ wanted to use those same people for his new album (Dangerous) and they decided to drop Jermaine and focus all their attention on MJ as he was the bigger star. So that's what Jermaine means by "taking his pie". Of course, it's not a nice thing to do from Michael and he may have regretted it later on, as he didn't use any of the songs LaFace worked on. But still, to respond to this by writing and releasing such a hateful diss song about your own brother is way out of order. It's probably one of the lowest things one could do and even though it's 20 years ago and they've long made up (or appear to have), I still haven't fully forgiven Jermaine for it. The part about "Once you were made, you changed your shade, was your colour wrong?" is especially hurtful and I can imagine Michael being upset about it :(

Hmmm?! Okay, yeah! I think u right!?:yes: I still would not blame MJ though, Cause a producer can work with more then one person if they want to! And we don't now the whole story, if truly Jermaine had those people for sure or he was just bragging to make him self look good!? lol

Either way Jermaine showed he been Jealous for a loong time with that song!-_- SMH It def stained Jermaine Career!

It does paint him out to be a pathetic wretch, which is what he is, in truth. The irony is, of course, that he painted his own portrait while attempting to slander someone else.

I heard that Jermaine was going to work with some people (LaFace?) for his new album and he was bragging about it to MJ. But then MJ wanted to use those same people for his new album (Dangerous) and they decided to drop Jermaine and focus all their attention on MJ as he was the bigger star. So that's what Jermaine means by "taking his pie". Of course, it's not a nice thing to do from Michael and he may have regretted it later on, as he didn't use any of the songs LaFace worked on. But still, to respond to this by writing and releasing such a hateful diss song about your own brother is way out of order. It's probably one of the lowest things one could do and even though it's 20 years ago and they've long made up (or appear to have), I still haven't fully forgiven Jermaine for it. The part about "Once you were made, you changed your shade, was your colour wrong?" is especially hurtful and I can imagine Michael being upset about it :(

Yeah, this was the story behind it. I think the two producers were Babyface and LA Reid. And they were working on an album with Jermaine. Jermaine thought this was gonna be his big break. But Michael then asked the producers if they wouldn't work with him instead. They, of course, left Jermaine immediately as Michael called and ran to work with him. Jermaine thought this was deliberate to sabotage his album. Especially that Michael then didn't use any of these producers' song on Dangerous. So that's why Jermaine decided to release this diss-song. He released it on the same day as when Black or White was released. Some DJs really enjoyed the sibling rivalry, so they played the two songs on rotation - this, of course, gave publicity to Jermaine's song as well. Michael got upset and then went to confront Jermaine in Havenhurst (he didn't beat up Jermaine, that was just a tabloid myth, like Margaret said in her book).

I personally can imagine that Michael indeed deliberately sabotaged Jermaine's album. Why, I don't know. He was just human and sometimes he did things those weren't nice. So if it was deliberate by Michael then I can live with most of Jermaine's song. I take it as just sibling rivalry where both gave and took. However the "was your color wrong" part is below belt, no matter what and there Jermaine went too far - especially if Jermaine knew of Michael's condition.

This is an old and uncomfortable issue.

Obviously Jermain didn't know what he was talking about and I like to think he is regretting about this song now. I don't think MJ talked about his condition not even to his family until Oprah's interview, who knows why, but it looks like that's how it happened.

i remember reading that he only told his parents and maybe janet and randy about the vitiligo and swore them to secrecy

i remember reading that he only told his parents and maybe janet and randy about the vitiligo and swore them to secrecy

Where did you read this?

I assumed that he told many people in private, just not in public (with cameras around). Like he told Quincy, didn't he? Although Quincy didn't believe him. That must have hurt him.

I personally can imagine that Michael indeed deliberately sabotaged Jermaine's album. Why, I don't know. He was just human and sometimes he did things those weren't nice. So if it was deliberate by Michael then I can live with most of Jermaine's song. I take it as just sibling rivalry where both gave and took. However the "was your color wrong" part is below belt, no matter what and there Jermaine went too far - especially if Jermaine knew of Michael's condition.

Why can you imagine Michael deliberately sabotaging Jermaine's career? He has always been very supportive of his siblings' projects and even wrote/produced songs for them. He did the Victory tour for his family. He did the Variety shows for his family. He did the Pepsi commercials with his brothers for his family. He let Janet "steal" his military style ideas for her Rhythm Nation video. When he rehearsed, he often danced to Janet's music. When the Jackson 2300 album came out, Michael was so enthusiastic about it he called the record company and urged them to give it proper promotion. There's no reason to believe Michael would purposely sabotage Jermaine's career. I think he just looked at it business wise: he was embarking on a new album and he wanted to work with the best people, and LaFAce were really popular at the time. But producers usually work with many artists at the same time and afaik nobody ever claimed that Michael asked LaFace to leave Jermaine behind. They chose to do that because they wanted to put all their energy into Michael's album. Still, I can imagine Jermaine being pissed off about this. I would be too (mostly at LaFace though). But that is no excuse to do what he did. This goes far beyond sibling rivalry. This is betrayal in its purest form. If you're having problems with your brother, you do not write a song to bash him and release it to the public on the same date his new song comes out. And you most certainly don't include issues that 1) you know are highly sensitive to your brother, 2) have nothing to do with the argument at hand, and 3) add fuel to the ridicule of your brother. There is simply no excuse for this (has Jermaine even apologized, btw?). Again, I know it's 20 years ago but I just find it so low and dispicable that it changed my perception of Jermaine forever.

What? Are you saying that Michael beat up Jermain. This is just too funny. I would like to see that.

Oh someone said it is not true. Well the thought gave me some pleasure.

Taraborrelli also mentioned the story about the physical fight. But should we believe it? I don't think so.
Who knows really.

Back