Drummer Ricky Lawson Passed away Dec 24th * RIP

The media is picking up on it now. :(
--------------------------

Ricky Lawson, Detroit drummer for the stars, falls ill in Los Angeles

5:50 PM, December 18, 2013

Detroit-born drummer Ricky Lawson behind the scenes of Michael Jackson's Bad Tour in February 1988.
Purchase Image

By Brian McCollum

Detroit Free Press Pop Music Writer
Ricky Lawson, the Detroit-born drummer who became one of the music industry’s session superstars, has fallen ill in Los Angeles.

The Free Press earlier reported his death. But sources late Wednesday could not confirm that.

Friends said Lawson had become disoriented during a club gig Friday night and was rushed to a hospital, where doctors discovered a brain aneurysm.

Lawson is one of Detroit’s most respected and well-traveled session musicians, building a dazzling career that included everything from Michael Jackson tours to Steely Dan albums and a Grammy-winning stint with the jazz-fusion band the Yellowjackets.

He is a multifaceted drummer, capable of both intricate work and a fundamental groove — a versatility that earned him gigs with artists as wide-ranging as Whitney Houston (including “I Will Always Love You”), Rod Stewart, Beyonce, Kenny G, Mariah Carey, Stevie Wonder, Eric Clapton, Lionel Richie, John Mellencamp and Bette Midler.

Though he had lived in Los Angeles for many years, Lawson remained an in-demand player for artists back home, including Aretha Franklin and Anita Baker.

Los Angeles musician and producer Bruce Nazarian, a friend and fellow Detroit native, called Lawson “the groove doctor.”

“He was like a metronome,” said Nazarian. “You could literally set your watch to him.”

The two last played together at the 2011 Newport Jazz Festival, harking back to their performances three decades ago in Detroit. Lawson’s Motor City roots were integral to his work, said Nazarian.

“When you’re from Detroit, you play Detroit,” he said. “That training, that soul, gets embedded into you as a young musician, and stays with you your entire life.”

Lawson released at least three solo albums, including 2001’s jazzy R&B record “Ricky Lawson and Friends,” with guests such as Gerald Albright, Phil Collins, George Duke and Al Jarreau.

Born in 1954 and a drummer since age six, Lawson graduated from Cooley High School and went on to cut his chops at Detroit spots such as Baker’s Keyboard Lounge and Henry’s Cocktail Lounge.

He had grown up under the glow of Motown, where uncle Paul Riser was an arranger and musician with the Funk Brothers, the label’s house band.

“I went to a couple of sessions with him, met all those people and thought it was so cool,” Lawson told the Free Press in 1988. “I thought it would be great to be able to do that, make that kind of money and have so much fun.”

An audition for Stevie Wonder in 1975 led to a gig with jazz vibraphonist Roy Ayers, and Lawson’s reputation in music-biz corridors quickly grew.

He was an industry star by the time he got the call in 1987 to join Michael Jackson’s career-defining Bad Tour.

Musical skill wasn’t the only trait that made Lawson a favorite with musicians, producers and tour directors: He was also known as a warm, fun personality who was easy to work with.

“When you’re in the high-stress game of playing onstage in front of tens of thousands,” said Nazarian, “the last thing a musical director wants is a prima donna.”

Contact Brian McCollum: 313-223-4450 or bmccollum@freepress.com

http://www.freep.com/article/20131218/ENT04/312180134/detroit-drummer-ricky-lawson-dies

Re: Drummer Ricky Lawson Suffers Stroke

If MB posted this than, sadly, I believe it. What a tragedy.

If MB posted this than, sadly, I believe it. What a tragedy.
Michael Bearden's Fan Page
UPDATE: We're getting conflicting reports now that he may still be on life support and in critical condition. If this is true, I'd be more then happy to have posted some incorrect information. I always check multiple sources before I post anything. I checked with some very intimate sources. It appears they may have all been given wrong information. Since everything is still cloudy, we'll just send powerful healing energy to Ricky and his family until all has been revealed. Send Love! M~

Ricky Lawson, Detroit drummer for the stars, falls ill in Los Angeles

<ins style="width: 88px; height: 31px; display: inline-table; position: relative; border: 0px; vertical-align: bottom;"><ins style="width: 88px; height: 31px; display: block; position: relative; border: 0px;"><iframe id="google_ads_iframe_7103/mi-freep-C1561/88x31_1/entertainment/music/news_0" name="google_ads_iframe_7103/mi-freep-C1561/88x31_1/entertainment/music/news_0" width="88" height="31" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" style="border-width: 0px; position: absolute; top: 0px; left: 0px;"></iframe></ins></ins>

<banner position="88x31_1" id="__gelement_adbanner_1"></banner>

<fb:like href="" send="false" width="429" show_faces="false" action="recommend" font="" ref="artrectop" fb-xfbml-state="rendered" class="fb_edge_widget_with_comment fb_iframe_widget" style="display: inline-block; position: relative;"><iframe id="f3ee5e244c" name="ff662fa0" scrolling="no" title="Like this content on Facebook." class="fb_ltr" src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?action=recommend&api_key=185931034751252&channel_url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.ak.facebook.com%2Fconnect%2Fxd_arbiter.php%3Fversion%3D28%23cb%3Df112b0f454%26domain%3Dwww.freep.com%26origin%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.freep.com%252Ff20823a918%26relation%3Dparent.parent&colorscheme=light&extended_social_context=false&href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.freep.com%2Farticle%2F20131218%2FENT04%2F312180134%2Fdetroit-drummer-ricky-lawson-dies&layout=standard&locale=en_US&node_type=link&ref=artrectop&sdk=joey&send=false&show_faces=false&width=429" style="position: absolute; border-style: none; overflow: hidden; height: 20px; width: 429px;"></iframe></fb:like>7:21 PM, December 18, 2013

Editor's note: The Free Press earlier reported Ricky Lawson's death, based on a source close to the family. But other sources contacted later Wednesday could not confirm his passing. The Free Press regrets the confusion, and is continuing to report the story.
Ricky Lawson, the Detroit-born drummer who became one of the music industry’s session superstars, has fallen ill in Los Angeles.
Friends said Lawson had become disoriented during a club gig Friday night and was rushed to a hospital, where doctors discovered a brain aneurysm.
Lawson is one of Detroit’s most respected and well-traveled session musicians, building a dazzling career that included everything from Michael Jackson tours to Steely Dan albums and a Grammy-winning stint with the jazz-fusion band the Yellowjackets.

Contact Brian McCollum: 313-223-4450 orbmccollum@freepress.com

http://www.freep.com/article/20131218/ENT04/312180134/detroit-drummer-ricky-lawson-dies

So there is still no confirmation? :unsure: I hope he's alive! :pray:

He did an interview a while ago and talked about Michael...:

Grammy winning former member of the Yellowjackets Ricky Lawson, affectionately known throughout the music industry as the “Drummer to the Stars”, is the most well known and respected percussionist in the world. Ricky has collaborated with many artists including Michael Jackson, Eric Clapton, Steely Dan, and Phil Collins just to name a few.

Click the link to hear the interview > http://www.blogtalkradio.com/talking-smooth-jazz/2013/11/20/drummer-ricky-lawson

From his cousin:

41 minutes ago Carlene Gist posted on the freep article on Ricky as follows: "He is my cousin. It is serious but he has not made his transition yet."

c8a06fbbf8720633976cde54397dd7d8.jpg

Dorian Holley (pictured left) posted on his FB he has had news he is alive, but on life support.
My prayers are with Ricky, really hope he pulls through :(

I really like that article from Detroit Free press. It's very thoughtful and detailed. Brian McCollum did his homework not just a copy and paste blurb like the rest. I appreciate real journalists.

[h=5]Jennifer Batten facebook:
[/h]
This is the saddest Christmas ever, in learning of the passing of dear Ricky Lawson. There is a massive hole in the universe today. He was one of the most loving, giving people I have ever known. He lived in a much more enlightened plane than most, and truly knew the meaning of connection.

[h=5]Jennifer Batten facebook:
[/h]
This is the saddest Christmas ever, in learning of the passing of dear Ricky Lawson. There is a massive hole in the universe today. He was one of the most loving, giving people I have ever known. He lived in a much more enlightened plane than most, and truly knew the meaning of connection.

What? He's gone? I can't believe it.. :cry: I hope his family is okay. I was just watching Michael's performance at Wembley Stadium and the part where you see Ricky play his 'solo' while Michael's doing a costume change always makes me smile. I don't know why, but it just does. He is actually my inspiration for playing the drums. I'm really gonna miss him. But I'm feeling a bit better since I know he's in Heaven with Michael :heart:

Last edited:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/drummer-ricky-lawson-59-dies-aneurism-21331903

Drummer Ricky Lawson, 59, Dies After Aneurism
LONG BEACH, Calif. December 25, 2013 (AP)

Studio drummer Ricky Lawson, who collaborated with Michael Jackson, Eric Clapton, Phil Collins, Whitney Houston and other artists, has died at a California hospital after suffering a brain aneurism earlier this month. He was 59.

Lawson became disoriented Dec. 13 during a show in Seal Beach, Calif., and was diagnosed with an aneurism.

Paul Riser of Detroit told The Associated Press on Tuesday that his nephew was removed from life support after 10 days and died Monday evening.

Lawson was being treated at Long Beach Memorial Medical Center.

The Detroit native jumped into the music business even before graduating from Cooley High School, and he became one of the nation's top studio musicians in the 1980s.

His work appears on Houston's version of "I Will Always Love You."

Very sad, may he rest in peace.

Wow, that's horrible. And what a day to pass, too :(

He looked perfectly fine and healthy from when the band reunited for that Wembley screening.
Arguably he aged the best right after Dorian.

RIP

Nooooooo :'(
He was such an epic drummer, what a loss! :'( :'(
Rest in Peace, Ricky. I hope you and Michael have a nice Christmas in heaven, you will be missed very much.

that's terrible.. RIP Ricky!
:cry:MJ and Whitney got their drummer now.. Have a Christmas jam session for us up there

I can't believe he's now gone and before Christmas. Well R.I.P. Ricky, you will now reunite with Michael in heaven now.

Back