Estate, Cascio and Porte Sued Over Three Songs on the "Michael" Album - Vera Senova Class Action

Re: Estate, Cascio & Porte sued - Forensic Analysis says MJ is NOT singing the 3 songs on "MICHAEL"

This is why people should just WRITE THEIR OWN MUSIC AND LYRICS!!!! All these teams of song writers is BS and just shows that none of them have the talent to do it alone. Michael got lazy in his later years, relying on these teams to flesh out (sometimes ever complete) entire songs for him, then he would come in and add and take away where he felt it needed, therefore gaining a credit in the process. It is a frequently used method in the pop music industry where money is more important than artistry and integrity.

Michael loved collaborations. He loved collaborating with various artists, songwriters and producers.

Re: Estate, Cascio & Porte sued - Forensic Analysis says MJ is NOT singing the 3 songs on "MICHAEL"

People were writing for Michael long before his "later years".

So now Michael's songwriting is questioned?

Michael had proven himself time and time again that he was a fantastic writer and composer

Damn I do love how this forum has the ability to take something someone says that doesn't quite line up with them and turn it around. Not once did I say Michael couldn't write. Neither did I say he had never worked with others prior to his later years. What I actually said was he became to reliant on it in later years. Just look at Bad's credits, then Invincible's. Its hardly difficult to notice a difference is it? I like collaborations at times too, they are fun and getting a different POV on a song can make or break it at times. BUT, as the man who's name is on the albums, Michael should write everything first, then bring in others to help narrow those down, and maybe give an idea or too. I NEVER SAID MICHAEL COULD NOT WRITE MUSIC OR LYRICS EITHER! I'd have to be the WORST fan ever. Michael was an FANTASTIC songwriter, and that is what frustrates me so much about the many, MANY collaborators in later years. He could write amazing songs without any help. Proven time and TIME again. The odd 2, 3 tracks on an album written by someone else is fine. But I honestly believe that there is more of other people writing on Invincible than there is Michaels.

Damn I do love how this forum has the ability to take something someone says that doesn't quite line up with them and turn it around. Not once did I say Michael couldn't write. Neither did I say he had never worked with others prior to his later years. What I actually said was he became to reliant on it in later years. Just look at Bad's credits, then Invincible's. Its hardly difficult to notice a difference is it? I like collaborations at times too, they are fun and getting a different POV on a song can make or break it at times. BUT, as the man who's name is on the albums, Michael should write everything first, then bring in others to help narrow those down, and maybe give an idea or too. I NEVER SAID MICHAEL COULD NOT WRITE MUSIC OR LYRICS EITHER! I'd have to be the WORST fan ever. Michael was an FANTASTIC songwriter, and that is what frustrates me so much about the many, MANY collaborators in later years. He could write amazing songs without any help. Proven time and TIME again. The odd 2, 3 tracks on an album written by someone else is fine. But I honestly believe that there is more of other people writing on Invincible than there is Michaels.

That problem with Invincible is well known and discussed to death on fan forums. Basically it's the problem of ONE MJ album.

Anyway, this thread has gone way off topic. Surely, I'm guilty of that too, but it should go back on topic.

Michael got lazy in his later years, relying on these teams to flesh out (sometimes ever complete) entire songs for him, then he would come in and add and take away where he felt it needed, therefore gaining a credit in the process. It is a frequently used method in the pop music industry where money is more important than artistry and integrity.

Please, let us not have a "Michael is capitalist" conversation.

What some fans call Michael's laziness was actually being a single parent attempting to satisfy his contract/commitment with/to Sony.

Anyway, this thread has gone way off topic. Surely, I'm guilty of that too, but it should go back on topic.

Let me help with some case information

Estate and Sony has been served on July 2nd. As they have offices and lawyers they should be pretty easy to serve. On July 10 lawyers for Estate have filed appearances. Not surprisingly the appearance came from Howard Weitzman's firm and Zia Modabber's firm. I'm assuming everyone knows Weitzman is the general counsel for MJ Estate, Modabber has been a long time attorney of MJ (and now Estate) and copyrights/ trademarks etc is his specialty.

On July 10 Estate also asked to remove the assigned judge - no reason given. Judge granted this request on July 14th and a new judge has been assigned on July 17th.

On July 16, Eddie Cascio and Angelikson has been served. It doesn't look like Porte has yet been served.

As they are being served, initial responses should be filed 30+ days. (Note: Different types of cases have different deadlines and I'm not so sure about complex class action lawsuits.)

Also a note : It doesn't seem like majority of the documents will be available on the online system - as I can only see the complaint. Case summary / docket allows me to know what is going on, what is filed but it looks like unless a in person request is done for copies of the documents filed or media reports we might not see the details of any motion/ response etc.

Last edited:

On July 10 Estate also asked to remove the assigned judge - no reason given. Judge granted this request on July 14th and a new judge has been assigned on July 17th.
What....

It sucks !!!

judges are assigned randomly to the cases. and each party can ask the judge to be changed. It's not something major imo.

Or they could've just made this request so they can get a judge that will be more lenient to them and their claim.

judges are assigned randomly to the cases. and each party can ask the judge to be changed. It's not something major imo.
Come on

Or they could've just made this request so they can get a judge that will be more lenient to them and their claim.

judges assigned randomly. It's not like you can say "I don't want this judge, I want the other lenient judge", it doesn't work like that. Even though the first judge removes themselves, the second one is again randomly assigned. You cannot cherry pick judges.

how can anyone make sure that they get a more lenient judge? what if the second judge is more hard / harsh? There is no way Estate can guarantee that they would get a more lenient judge.

come on to what? whether you like it or not each party has the right to ask the judge to be changed with no reason given and Estate and other parties that sued Estate have done this before. Estate asked judge in Quincy Jones case to be changed and I think el-amin or someone like that challenged Judge Beckloff. It happens regularly.

Not everything is a conspiracy you know.

It doesn't have to be a conspiracy to be a bullshit.

It doesn't have to be a conspiracy to be a bullshit.

seriously can you explain to me why is this such a big deal? It's not like anyone knows who the judges were/are and which one is better. furthermore if I didn't tell it here most probably none of you will ever know about it.And furthermore if you believe these songs are absolutely fake and/or you have strong evidence about it why who the judge is matters?

And as for "bullshit" like I said each party in every lawsuit has the right to ask for a new judge. I wouldn't call exercising such right given by the legal system "bullshit" but that's just me.

I believe this is more interesting.

Keep it in the closet.

Also a note : It doesn't seem like majority of the documents will be available on the online system - as I can only see the complaint. Case summary / docket allows me to know what is going on, what is filed but it looks like unless a in person request is done for copies of the documents filed or media reports we might not see the details of any motion/ response etc.

I believe this is more interesting.

Keep it in the closet.

just to be clear what documents are added to the online system is not under control of any party (whether it is Estate, sony, Cascio,Porte or the plaintiff), it's determined based on the court system & rules. for example probate isn't posted on the online system because it's considered to be a matter of deceased and not public. So during lawsuits I followed, I have seen no documents being available online (all probate proceedings), every document being available (AEG, Lloyds etc) and only complaint being available (Michael Amir Williams class action and this class action). So I'm thinking it's due to the type of the case.

Furthermore LA Superior court website themselves mention only select cases is scanned and available at the online system. The exact words on their website is this: This site allows you to download scanned images of General Jurisdiction Civil (lawsuits greater than $25,000) Case Documents from the Stanley Mosk Courthouse.

So no party is "keeping it in the closet". Also just because it's not available online doesn't mean it's not available. As it's possible to get the hardcopies by in person request. So there's nothing that's stopping you or someone else from doing that.

I am personally using the online system as I don't live in LA and only ask a friend for a favor about once a year to go to the court and get Estate accounting. But again just because it looks like I won't be able to get the documents easily and quickly doesn't mean other people cannot try to get it themselves. I might try to ask LA friends/members who live in LA to get some documents but like I said that won't be too often. But as I said from docket report and case summary I'll be able to tell what's going on - like I did with the little update yesterday.

Last edited:

Ivy, understood. The information is available to those who have availability and an interest in retrieving it.

The media and some fans do not see the damage these songs have done to Michael's catalog. In fact, there is not much awareness or discussion of this lawsuit outside of the few who frequent such threads on this forum.

This is very fortunate for defense and the defendants who most likely prefer this continues to remain under the radar (as they say) as it has or in the small closet it is already in.

Estate and Sony has been served on July 2nd. As they have offices and lawyers they should be pretty easy to serve. On July 10 lawyers for Estate have filed appearances. Not surprisingly the appearance came from Howard Weitzman's firm and Zia Modabber's firm. I'm assuming everyone knows Weitzman is the general counsel for MJ Estate, Modabber has been a long time attorney of MJ (and now Estate) and copyrights/ trademarks etc is his specialty.

On July 16, Eddie Cascio and Angelikson has been served. It doesn't look like Porte has yet been served.

As they are being served, initial responses should be filed 30+ days. (Note: Different types of cases have different deadlines and I'm not so sure about complex class action lawsuits.)

Thanks I was checking the thread to see if there were any legal updates. I wonder if the judge is not knowledgeable in the subject area or if they feel there may be some bias? I thought they would have tried to serve the estate and Eddie at around the same time, not that there is any benefit in doing so. Is it possible to buy Eddie's response? I know you mentioned in person requests.

Last edited:

I thought they would have tried to serve the estate and Eddie at around the same time, not that there is any benefit in doing so.

probably they did try to serve everyone as soon as possible but like I said it's easier to serve Estate and Sony. Estate's general counsel is known - Weitzman- and he has a office. Similarly Sony has a headquarters and a legal department. Both could be served easily. As for individuals such as Cascio and Porte you need to serve them personally, it becomes harder if there's no current address information and if they avoid service.

Is it possible to buy Eddie's response? I know you mentioned in person requests.

we might but I don't expect any significant filing - meaning a filing that answers accusations - soon. I imagine the first filings be a demurrer - meaning asking for dismissal claiming there's no legal basis for either class action claim or a statue of limitations.

For example demurrer process in Robson case have been ongoing for 1+ year now and as far as the claims goes the only thing Estate said they deny them. The first step is to try to get it dismissed on a legal basis and while they are trying that there's no reason to answer the claims/accusations.

The media and some fans do not see the damage these songs have done to Michael's catalog. In fact, there is not much awareness or discussion of this lawsuit outside of the few who frequent such threads on this forum.

This is very fortunate for defense and the defendants who most likely prefer this continues to remain under the radar (as they say) as it has or in the small closet it is already in.

Well if it's any consolation, TMZ reported it. TMZ, Radar, THR, AP, CNN etc regularly does updates about important developments. And if this goes to trial I'm certain that media will cover it. So it's not and won't be really in the closet in my opinion. But it doesn't mean everyone will care.

Fans access to documents and reporting doesn't really solve the issues you complain about as interest in such documents and reporting stays limited to fans who are interested in the topic. Even MJ fans don't care about everything related to MJ.

And I personally haven't seen much "discussion of this lawsuit" on this thread either. Majority of the discussion have been authenticity discussion with side topic of song credits. That's not really discussing the lawsuit in my humble opinion. It's using the news about this lawsuit to discuss - or discuss again more correctly- the authenticity issue in news section.

Last edited:
Ivy, was the TMZ coverage consolation for me, the plaintiff and the plaintiff's legal team, or Michael? I believe Michael is the injured party here.

If this lawsuit goes to trial, it most likely will not receive the media coverage the AEG civil trial received or the doctor’s criminal trial. The celebrity aspect and revelations promised in those trials does not exist here. From your response, it seems we are in agreement regarding the media’s coverage and some fans’ disinterest in these songs and this lawsuit and that is extremely fortunate for the defense and the defendants. If we are not in agreement, please let me know.

I suggest reviewing the thread as there has been discussion about this lawsuit at length. The lawsuit is about the authenticity of the songs and the plaintiff’s expert stating it is most likely not Michael. Some have offered to submit evidence they feel can support the plaintiff. Song credits may come into play if the plaintiff’s legal team does not lazily rely on expert testimony. No way around an authenticity discussion if that is the core of the lawsuit.

There has also been discussion about the possible scenarios: the lawsuit deemed not valid or valid, settling before trial, the chances of the plaintiff being victorious or not, the claims, and the remedies. If there is something that you feel has been ignored, please respond as to what that is.

Tygger;4031013 said:
If this lawsuit goes to trial, it most likely will not receive the media coverage the AEG civil trial received or the doctor’s criminal trial. The celebrity aspect and revelations promised in those trials does not exist here.

I never claimed it would be covered as much as a wrongful death trial but it would still get coverage. Both Paula Abdul and Milli Vanilli cases have been reported. As far as MJ is concerned media have been reporting a lot less interesting cases - such as commission claims of old managers which has nothing more than "we had a deal, I'm entitled to this %". If this goes to trial I would expect at least AP to do daily updates. So again if you are trying to say there will be no media reporting, I strongly disagree.

some fans’ disinterest in these songs and this lawsuit and that is extremely fortunate for the defense and the defendants.

There's nothing that can be done about fans disinterest about any topic. For example there is probably fans who are interested in this topic but not interested in Robson's accusations which can be classified about extremely fortunate for Robson as well. What I'm trying to say is such things cannot be changed and media reporting or document availability won't change it. In other words if this doesn't fall under interest area of any fan, even all media reporting it non stop wouldn't change that. That's life. and if you somehow expect all the fans (and/or all general public) to care about this topic - or any topic for that matter- it isn't realistic.

I suggest reviewing the thread as there has been discussion about this lawsuit at length.

Thanks for your suggestion however a careful reading of what I wrote would show you that I didn't say the lawsuit wasn't discussed at all. It has been, however I believe majority of the discussion isn't really related to the "lawsuit". That's my opinion and other people's comments in the last pages about "off topic" demonstrates that. I did that update to bring the thread back to the lawsuit.

how many fans have intrest or disintrest in this case makes no difference to what will happen in the court room so its irrelevent interms of effecting any outcome.

some fans are more intrested in the personal cases against mj and the damage that can be done some are more intresred in music related suits. some fans dont care about any lawsuits and just follow the music and related releases. everyones different.

judges assigned randomly. It's not like you can say "I don't want this judge, I want the other lenient judge", it doesn't work like that. Even though the first judge removes themselves, the second one is again randomly assigned. You cannot cherry pick judges.

how can anyone make sure that they get a more lenient judge? what if the second judge is more hard / harsh? There is no way Estate can guarantee that they would get a more lenient judge.

Not everything is a conspiracy you know.

Yea, okay. You just said no party knows who the judges are and that they're assigned randomly, if that were true then the Estate wouldn't of asked for the initial judge in the case to be removed as they'd have no knowledge of who that judge is. The fact that they requested this judges removal, according to the legal updates you posted, which implies they had knowledge of who the judge was, and that the judge didn't remove himself from the case, as you say here. If the judges are assigned so randomly in this case, then the Estate would have no reason to request the removal of the judge in the first place, would they? What is it about this judge that the Estate has an issue with? And clearly the judge wasn't favored by the Estate for whatever reason, so they requested the removal. That also negates the claim that they have no knowledge of the judges chosen for this case.

Yea, okay. You just said no party knows who the judges are and that they're assigned randomly, if that were true then the Estate wouldn't of asked for the initial judge in the case to be removed as they'd have no knowledge of who that judge is. The fact that they requested this judges removal, according to the legal updates you posted, which implies they had knowledge of who the judge was, and that the judge didn't remove himself from the case, as you say here. If the judges are assigned so randomly in this case, then the Estate would have no reason to request the removal of the judge in the first place, would they? What is it about this judge that the Estate has an issue with? And clearly the judge wasn't favored by the Estate for whatever reason, so they requested the removal. That also negates the claim that they have no knowledge of the judges chosen for this case.

There's a huge misunderstanding here.

I wrote "It's not like anyone knows who the judges were/are and which one is better. " and continued with "furthermore if I didn't tell it here most probably none of you will ever know about it.". If it's not clear I was responding to a conversation going on among the members on this thread about the judge and trying to say none of the people here / anyone here - meaning MJJC members knows who the judges are and none of us are in a position / have information to tell which judge is better or more lenient etc. I'm sorry if I caused any misunderstanding.

However I stand with that position. None of us here - including me- have any information to tell which judge is better/worse or will be more lenient/harsh towards any party. Any claims about such matters will be pure speculation and/or conspiracy theory.

Of course parties to the lawsuit (and people who reads documents carefully and knows to use the court system - aka people like me) knows which judge the case is assigned. The minute you file a lawsuit, court clerk randomly assigns the case to a judge and writes that info on the complaint. actually go to the first page and check the complaint you will see the first judge's name handwritten on the complaint. :) (if you know how to use the court system, you can also see the name of the second judge). and of course parties challenge the judge knowing who the judge is but like I pointed out to you, the new judge is also assigned randomly by the clerk. Parties have no control over it. they cannot pick which judge they want and there's no guarantee that the second judge would be more lenient or such. they could end up with a more harsh judge.

so your first comment was asking for a new judge to get a more lenient one and my reply is still the same - as the new judge is also assigned randomly there's no guarantee that anyone will get a more lenient judge.

What is it about this judge that the Estate has an issue with?

no reason given and they don't have to. Each party has one right to ask for a new judge no reason given.

the judge didn't remove himself from the case, as you say here.

he did. Estate filed the application and the judge himself signed and granted it which means he accepted the request and removed himself. he could have rejected it and require an explanation. he didn't.

edited to add:

if you need confirmation about random judge assignment

b) Regulation of Case Assignment. The clerk must take all reasonably appropriate steps,including a system of random use of case numbers, to ensure that neither any party nor any counsel will be able to anticipate a case assignment. The name of the judge to whom the case is assigned will be designated by the clerk on the summons and the complaint.

as you can see the assignment is random and they take necessary steps parties can not guess who the case will be assigned.

Last edited:
Elusive Moonwalker, I am referring to how the lack of media and some fans’ interest benefits the defense.

ivy;4031051 said:
So again if you are trying to say there will be no media reporting, I strongly disagree.

If I wanted to say that there would be no media coverage, I would have stated such. I clearly stated there would not be much media and fan interest in this trial and you obviously agree with that.

In other words if this doesn't fall under interest area of any fan, even all media reporting it non stop wouldn't change that. That's life. and if you somehow expect all the fans (and/or all general public) to care about this topic - or any topic for that matter- it isn't realistic.

Former sentence: not true as evident in the AEG civil trial and the doctor’s civil trial. There were many fans who lacked interest in both trials however; as I previously and clearly stated: the celebrity aspect and revelations promised kept high ranking media outlets like CNN and AP invested. That is most likely not going to happen here and that is welcomed by the defense and the defendants in this case as they would prefer less attention for obvious reasons. That is not the same as the Robson trial as Robson clearly sought attention and media outlets were more than happy to oblige him if it meant another Jackson molestation tale.

Latter sentence: if I wanted to say that I expected all fans (and/or all general public) to have interest in this, I would have stated such. I clearly stated the media and some fans’ disinterest in these songs and case is an advantage to the defense and the defendants. You may not want to agree that they have that advantage but, they do.

Thanks for your suggestion however a careful reading of what I wrote would show you that I didn't say the lawsuit wasn't discussed at all. It has been, however I believe majority of the discussion isn't really related to the "lawsuit". That's my opinion and other people's comments in the last pages about "off topic" demonstrates that. I did that update to bring the thread back to the lawsuit

Try again. You clearly stated there was not much discussion of the lawsuit and I asked you clearly what is it you would like to see discussed. A lawsuit about the authenticity of songs tends to have comments about the authenticity of songs.

Tygger;4031087 said:
the media and some fans’ disinterest in these songs and case is an advantage to the defense and the defendants.

No one is going to win or lose this case because of media or fans interest or disinterest. It will be won or lost on laws and evidence. So yes I fail to see "advantage" of that on lawsuit. If you mean this doesn't generate as much negative publicity as you hoped, I'll agree to that but that's irrelevant to the lawsuit as far as I'm concerned.

For rest I already expressed my opinion and I don't need to "try again" and try to convince you to agree with my opinion because guess what you are free to disagree and I'll still hold on to my opinion. In case it's not clear, I don't really seek anyone's seal of approval about any of my opinions.

What's the status with this? Are there any dates set for hearings yet or anything?

edit.. saw this too late. thanks!

Last edited:
Ivy, jury selection on high-profile trials – trials receiving extensive media coverage and holds the public’s interest before trial – can be a very difficult process. This trial, provided it ever gets to that stage, is obviously not high profile and there is a benefit to the defendants and the defense because of that.

As for the hope of negative publicity when there is minimal publicity, you would first have to show I actually said I had that hope before attributing the comment to me.

As for the rest, I posed a clear, simple question: what would you prefer be discussed about this lawsuit that you believe has not been discussed. You did not respond to that question; twice.

Back