Estate, Cascio and Porte Sued Over Three Songs on the "Michael" Album - Vera Senova Class Action

Re: Estate, Cascio & Porte sued - Forensic Analysis says MJ is NOT singing the 3 songs on "MICHAEL"

As I've said before, Harvey Jay Mason is not credited for "XSCAPE" even though he is listed on the original registration way back around 2000.

He may be responsible for the prison guards, prisoners, and female interludes.

And let's not forget Michael completely leaving Brad Buxer from "STRANGER IN MOSCOW". Brad could easily have said something, but he didn't. Why? Because he respected Michael and didn't want to cause a fuss.

Question please: what did Buxer say he contributed to SIM and when did he say it? I am not aware of this.

ok, but it's actually the same as the xscape demo. just 10 sec longer instrumental during the bridge and a longer fade out. nearly no difference.

according to dr. freeze, michael did major changes. wondering what that could be then

The originals on Xscape are supposed to be the versions Michael last worked on. I thought the previous leak was the 2008 mix. There was a leak of an earlier version than 2008?

Tygger;4029328 said:
Question please: what did Buxer say he contributed to SIM and when did he say it? I am not aware of this.

Then Buxer goes on to talk about “Stranger in Moscow.” This song contains his biggest contribution of all the material he worked on with Michael, and Brad doesn’t hide that it means a lot to him. He reads the entire piece about the song from Joe Vogel’s book – the story of the song creation is well documented by now. Even though Buxer is not credited in the album liner notes, he actually is a co-author of the song and the one who came up with the chords. Buxer explains that he and Michael could work together in two different ways. Oftentimes, Michael already had the melody in his head, and Buxer’s job was to play that melody on the keyboard as Michael was “hearing” it and find an arrangement that fit the melody. Such was their work on “Heal the World,” “In the Back,” “Childhood,” “Beautiful Girl” and other songs. With “Stranger in Moscow” it was different: Michael asked Brad to play chords until he would hear something he liked, and Buxer came up with the now famous chord progression. Buxer says that the entire song was written in about 1.5-2 hours, and when it was finished, he couldn’t believe what had just happened. “I wanted to say something, like, ‘Wow, did we just write a song together?’” recalls Buxer. “But I didn’t.” He doesn’t hold a grudge about not being credited on the album. “Mistakes happen,” he says. “Michael was always very generous to me.” It’s clear that the experience itself is much more important to him than his name in the booklet.

http://www.michaeljackson.ru/eng/brad-x2-evening-brad-buxer/

Re: Estate, Cascio & Porte sued - Forensic Analysis says MJ is NOT singing the 3 songs on "MICHAEL"

The way I (and many others) see it, a songwriting credit should be given to someone who actively played a part in the composition of the song's music or the conception of its lyrics. Adding a sound effect here or suggesting the song be recorded in an alternate key or suggesting the use of an acoustic guitar isn't songwriting, it's production. Do you know how many people worked with Michael during the production of a single song and how many of those people surely offered input about what to do with a song? John Barnes played a synth harmonica for I'm So Blue; does that mean he deserves a songwriting credit? No; he deserves a performer's credit.

That's the last I'm going to say regarding the songwriting of A Place With No Name and Blue Gangsta.

He may be responsible for the prison guards, prisoners, and female interludes.

Even so, he should have been credited. If not for Rodney's reproduction, then certainly for the original recording. Hell, in the credits, they don't even say his last name -- it's simply "Percussion by Harvey."

respect77 already linked a quote. Also, I believe Brad spoke about it in the recent Bradx2 seminar with Brad Sundberg.

Brad Buxer came up with the chord progression for Stranger in Moscow, and therefore, he should have been awarded cowriters credit. Why wasn't he? No one knows definitively. But to be quite fair, Buxer should be given a coauthorship credit for any future releases using Stranger in Moscow.

The way I (and many others) see it, a songwriting credit should be given to someone who actively played a part in the composition of the song's music or the conception of its lyrics. Adding a sound effect here or suggesting the song be recorded in an alternate key or suggesting the use of an acoustic guitar isn't songwriting, it's production. Do you know how many people worked with Michael during the production of a single song and how many of those people surely offered input about what to do with a song? John Barnes played a synth harmonica for I'm So Blue; does that mean he deserves a songwriting credit? No; he deserves a performer's credit.

That's the last I'm going to say regarding the songwriting of A Place With No Name and Blue Gangsta.

What you do not seem to realize that you base your whole argument on what you assume about what MJ did in those songs, since Freeze did not elaborate on what he did exactly.

Even so, he should have been credited. If not for Rodney's reproduction, then certainly for the original recording. Hell, in the credits, they don't even say his last name -- it's simply "Percussion by Harvey."

Yes, however, this is an Estate/Sony issue as mentioned previously. It is also up to this professional to complain if he feels he is not credited appropriately including listing his full name if that is what he prefers.

Brad Buxer came up with the chord progression for Stranger in Moscow, and therefore, he should have been awarded cowriters credit. Why wasn't he? No one knows definitively. But to be quite fair, Buxer should be given a coauthorship credit for any future releases using Stranger in Moscow.

Again, up to the professional to complain. Did Buxer state any of this during the History era or did he wait until after Michael's passing? If the latter, it is convenient for Buxer as we will not hear Michael's version of what happened. It is left to the listener to decide what and who they want to believe.

I personally am not inclined to believe one side without hearing the other especially when that latter side has passed and the former had at least a decade to right what he believes to be a wrong. I understand others feel differently and that is not an issue for me.

Yes, however, this is an Estate/Sony issue as mentioned previously. It is also up to this professional to complain if he feels he is not credited appropriately including listing his full name if that is what he prefers.

Again, up to the professional to complain. Did Buxer state any of this during the History era or did he wait until after Michael's passing? If the latter, it is convenient for Buxer as we will not hear Michael's version of what happened. It is left to the listener to decide what and who they want to believe.

I personally am not inclined to believe one side without hearing the other especially when that latter side has passed and the former had at least a decade to right what he believes to be a wrong. I understand others feel differently and that is not an issue for me.

He told Black&White magazine about it, in the fall of 2009.

^^That is at least a decade late and after Michael passed.

To be most effective, the issue should have been addressed during the History era or at least while Michael could address it personally. Instead the issue is addressed after Michael's passing and directed to his fan base.

What you do not seem to realize that you base your whole argument on what you assume about what MJ did in those songs, since Freeze did not elaborate on what he did exactly.

This is exactly the point I'm trying to make here. Freeze never undoubtedly stated that Michael cowrote these songs; the closest he came were with a number of vague statements that could be interpreted in numerous ways. So, it is quite true that I cannot precisely say that Michael did not write these songs. However, can you precisely say that he did? Where is your proof? The only argument I've seen thus far is the same one that I make (Freeze's statements) though we've now established that those cannot be used. It's also been well established that there is a long history of mistaken credits, both for Michael and other artists, cases in which the legal cowriters did not step forward to take responsibility.

In retrospect, there is no stone cold evidence for either case, though I still do not see enough proof to prove that Michael wrote any lyrics or music for A Place With No Name or Blue Gangsta (I again reference the always-reliable Damien Shields here).

To be most effective, the issue should have been addressed during the History era or at least while Michael could address it personally. Instead the issue is addressed after Michael's passing and directed to his fan base.

There are plenty of people out there who have withheld stories until after Michael died, simply out of respect. Moreover, Buxer has stated that he has cowritten the song, but has not made a formal complaint to the estate to garner compensation. For me, that shows that he really doesn't care that he wasn't credited, and he is just happy to have had the experience.

This is exactly the point I'm trying to make here. Freeze never undoubtedly stated that Michael cowrote these songs; the closest he came were with a number of vague statements that could be interpreted in numerous ways. So, it is quite true that I cannot precisely say that Michael did not write these songs. However, can you precisely say that he did? Where is your proof? The only argument I've seen thus far is the same one that I make (Freeze's statements) though we've now established that those cannot be used. It's also been well established that there is a long history of mistaken credits, both for Michael and other artists, cases in which the legal cowriters did not step forward to take responsibility.

I'm sorry but you are trying to have it reversed now. You are the one who said that Michael does not deserve writing credits at all. So you are the one who needs to prove your point because you are the one who claimed something - ie. that the writing credits are not correct and Michael does not deserve credit at all.

There are plenty of people out there who have withheld stories until after Michael died, simply out of respect. Moreover, Buxer has stated that he has cowritten the song, but has not made a formal complaint to the estate to garner compensation. For me, that shows that he really doesn't care that he wasn't credited, and he is just happy to have had the experience.

I understand. I was not aware he was stating such until this thread. I am not as trusting of Buxer's account but, that is my view.

Well Brad did at least get credit for MJs tunes in Sonic 3 which includes the end credits music which is Stranger In Moscow. MJ wanted no credit due to the console sound quality not being up to his standard.

ok i've stayed away from this thread, cuz its hella long but also it seems to be going aroudn in circles.

however, as i read back about 10 -20 pages or so, I do keep seeing a pattern of putting MJ on this pedestal as proof of whether the songs were authentic or not. "He'd never sing this" or "he'd never write that" - and I just had to speak up on it. I personally don't know what the deal is with all of this to be honest lol. But I do know that MJ IS capable of writing not-so-ground breaking songs and lyrics. I know its like impossible to fathom, but it's true! lol

MJ is a musical GENIUS, that much is undebatable. But that does not mean everything he experimented with, made drafts/demos of or just decided to try out ...were all deep and amazingly profound.

There were unreleased tracks that came out while MJ was alive that were 'mediocre' by the standards described in this thread. But thats the thing - its probably why they were in the vaults and not out there for public consumption. :p

That has little to do with the issue though. The thing is, not only are these songs not great, they're obvious mediocre rip-offs of his past songs, the vocalist struggles to impersonate Michael's voice, and the fact remains that the voice itself just sounds like another known individual in the world of MJ fandom. Oh, and that there still hasn't been anything put forward that actually supports Michael having anything to do with the songs period.

I'm sorry but you are trying to have it reversed now. You are the one who said that Michael does not deserve writing credits at all. So you are the one who needs to prove your point because you are the one who claimed something - ie. that the writing credits are not correct and Michael does not deserve credit at all.

He doesn't, because there is no proof that he wrote the song. And considering you are actively debating with me, you also need to back up your point by providing evidence. And there isn't any: just because Michael is credited in the booklet means nothing. Credit mistakes happen all the time. If you can show me irrefutable evidence that Michael cowrote the song, I will admit defeat.

He doesn't, because there is no proof that he wrote the song. And considering you are actively debating with me, you also need to back up your point by providing evidence. And there isn't any: just because Michael is credited in the booklet means nothing. Credit mistakes happen all the time. If you can show me irrefutable evidence that Michael cowrote the song, I will admit defeat.

You obviously do not understand who has the burden of proof in a debate. The person who claims something. Ie. in a court case the burden of proof is on the accuser. Now you are the "accuser" as you are the one claiming that the credits in the album booklet are not correct and Michael does not deserve credit.

The burden of proof is often associated with the Latin maxim semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit, the best translation of which seems to be: "the necessity of proof always lies with the person who lays charges."

You made the claim that the album credits are not correct and MJ does not deserve any credit so you are the one who needs to prove why. You tried to give some arguments for your position, but then it turned out that these were just your own assumptions about what MJ contributed to the song. Personal assumptions are not proof.

I have no burden of disproving your claim, simply because you have not proven your claim, in the first place.

I get your point that album credits are not always correct. But that does not prove that these specific album credits are not correct. You need a bit more to prove that. Your argument sounds a bit like when people say: "OJ Simpson got off, so now we have to question every decision in the court system or assume that they are wrong - without any other evidence of them being wrong ". Just because there are wrong verdicts it does not mean they are all wrong. Just because there are wrong album credits it does not mean they are all wrong. Again, the argument you offer that some album credits are wrong is simply no evidence for your position.

Last edited:

Well Brad did at least get credit for MJs tunes in Sonic 3 which includes the end credits music which is Stranger In Moscow. MJ wanted no credit due to the console sound quality not being up to his standard.

That credit does not seem very satisfying to Buxer if he is indeed lamenting to the fan base several years after the fact whenever the opportunity presents itself.

$$$$$$$

respect77;4029621 said:
You obviously do not understand who has the burden of proof in a debate. The person who claims something. Ie. in a court case the burden of proof is on the accuser. Now you are the "accuser" as you are the one claiming that the credits in the album booklet are not correct and Michael does not deserve credit.

What follows is a short excerpt from Damien's track-by-track review of Xscape (which can be read by clicking here).

The original version of “Blue Gangsta” was written by Dr. Freeze. Contrary to the album credits in the ‘XSCAPE’ liner notes, Michael Jackson did NOT co-write this song. The same thing happened with “Break Of Dawn” from the ‘Invincible’ album – another Dr. Freeze track that Michael Jackson somehow got an undue co-writer’s credit for.

For those of you who don't know, back in September 2013, Shields personally interviewed Dr. Freeze for an article documenting the creation, recording and non-release of A Place With No Name (which can be read by clicking here).

Shields has always been a hugely reputable source in the Michael Jackson realm; he's spoken to a number of Michael's collaborators (most notably Brad Sundberg, Matt Forger and Michael Prince) and has a significant fan following, in addition to being correct about a large amount of information. With that said, I have no reasons to doubt his validity when he says that Michael did not write Blue Gangsta or Break of Dawn (especially considering Freeze, again, spoke to him one-on-one). There is also no reason to believe that Freeze himself would lie.

This is the biggest piece of "evidence" that I have against the song, and in truth, the only piece I really need.

AlwaysThere;4029664 said:
What follows is a short excerpt from Damien's track-by-track review of Xscape (which can be read by clicking here).

For those of you who don't know, back in September 2013, Shields personally interviewed Dr. Freeze for an article documenting the creation, recording and non-release of A Place With No Name (which can be read by clicking here).

Shields has always been a hugely reputable source in the Michael Jackson realm; he's spoken to a number of Michael's collaborators (most notably Brad Sundberg, Matt Forger and Michael Prince) and has a significant fan following, in addition to being correct about a large amount of information. With that said, I have no reasons to doubt his validity when he says that Michael did not write Blue Gangsta or Break of Dawn (especially considering Freeze, again, spoke to him one-on-one). There is also no reason to believe that Freeze himself would lie.

This is the biggest piece of "evidence" that I have against the song, and in truth, the only piece I really need.

That is not a direct quote from Freeze. In fact in the direct quotes from Freeze (which I quoted here earlier) he does imply that MJ did have creative input in APWNN. By the way, now you switched your argument somehow to Blue Gangsta, when I was talking about APWNN...

Actually it's funny that you quote that Xscape review from Damien's blog when that review states that APWNN was co-written by Michael:

A Place With No Name Co-written by Elliot Straite (aka Dr. Freeze) with Michael Jackson in 1998, the origins of this song date back much further than the King of Pop’s recording. “A Place With No Name” is actually a re-written cover of the 1972 hit “A Horse With No Name” by the group America – originally written by Dewey Bunnell.

About APWNN Freeze did say in direct quotes that MJ had creative input. I don't think you are really authorized to tell that input was not enough to justify writing credits, because Freeze simply did not elaborate on what exactly that input was. But he did say there WAS creative input.

About Blue Gangsta I haven't seen a direct quote or interview from Freeze regarding this issue, so I did not really deal with that song because there is even less information about that. At least I haven't seen it.

(And Damien Shields blog is not the Bible. For example, he recently stated that Loving You will be a bridging single. I start to doubt this information now, because there is no official statement about it ever since. There would be something communicated about it to the fan base at least, if it was true IMO. But now LA Reid talks about releasing APWNN as the next single, no word at all about Loving You being a bridging single. So it's not like Damien cannot jump to certain conclusions which are not necessarily correct.)

Last edited:

If Freeze had something to say about the credits he could have said it in Xscape documentary. He didn't say anything.

Again if Michael wanted to fake credits for some unknown reason he would fake it on Butterflies and Cry too.

Again if the Estate wanted to fake credits for some unknown reason they would fake Chicago, Slave To The Rhythm, Another Day, Hold My Hand.

We all agree that Freeze wrote the demos of Break Of Dawn, Blue Gangsta & APWNN which he presented to Michael. Then MJ worked on the songs with Freeze in 1998. Then MJ worked more on Break Of Dawn for its release in 2001. Then MJ worked, again without Freeze, on APWNN in 2004 and again in 2008! He changed the original demos enough to earn writing credits.

LA Reid, Lenny Kravitz, Akon & Cory Rooney presented MJ the songs they wrote and MJ recorded the vocals for the tracks without changing anything. After 1989 he never worked again on Slave, and after 1999 he never worked again on Chicago or Another Day.

About credit of input... Many many many artists input lyrically in the smallest attempt simply to get writers credit.. The amount of course caries per song and artist. But it is an artists best interest to get there name on it. It financially and professionally helps the artist alot.. I think we all know Michael had a huge hand in writing a lot of what he sang but not all.. In the end of the day in this case it doesn't matter.. Credit is credit!

In the end of the day in this case it doesn't matter.. Credit is credit!

In the case of the Cascio team and this possibly going to trial, credit does matter as it implies Michael had involvement with the tracks. This involvement can be conveniently stretched to Michael singing on these songs.

(And Damien Shields blog is not the Bible. For example, he recently stated that Loving You will be a bridging single. I start to doubt this information now, because there is no official statement about it ever since. There would be something communicated about it to the fan base at least, if it was true IMO. But now LA Reid talks about releasing APWNN as the next single, no word at all about Loving You being a bridging single. So it's not like Damien cannot jump to certain conclusions which are not necessarily correct.)

It amuses me that you make the Bible statement, yet just a few sentences above, you use a post from Damien to justify your argument.

But I digress. As far as Loving You is concerned, this could very well be a Behind the Mask/Hollywood Tonight situation, in which one is issued in the United States and one internationally. To be quite honest, this L.A. Reid comment should not be taken as an official announcement just yet, as anything could happen behind the scenes. It does have more validity than the Kevin Hughes comment, but again, it is still not an undoubted comment. Also, bridging single means that it is simply issued to radio rather than seeing a full commercial release. These releases are relatively quiet in nature and don't garner much attention. It could be happening right now.

If Freeze had something to say about the credits he could have said it in Xscape documentary. He didn't say anything.

Again if Michael wanted to fake credits for some unknown reason he would fake it on Butterflies and Cry too.

Here's the thing, though: MICHAEL ISN'T HERE TO OVERSEE THESE CREDITS.

You continually make this argument as if Michael is still alive and was here to oversee the compilation of the credits for Xscape, and it makes no sense. It's already been proven that, when an artist is dead, it's unbelievably easy to mess up credits (This Is It, Xscape). It requires a significant amount of research and discussion with all involved to securely lock down every single songwriter. It's difficult.

Again, I am not trying to suggest that Michael Jackson faked these credits. He is dead, therefore he doesn't have control over it. I am trying to say that he does not deserve credit if the songwriter heavily implies that he didn't write the song.

It amuses me that you make the Bible statement, yet just a few sentences above, you use a post from Damien to justify your argument.

Obviously I used that quote because you seem to consider him the Bible. So if you take everything he writes at face value, then there you have it, he calls Michael the co-writer of APWNN in his Xscape review. Unlike with Blue Gangsta he never makes the comment that MJ did not deserve writing credits on APWNN. In fact, neither Freeze or Damien made such a comment, only you did, based on your own assumptions.

As for Blue Gangsta, like I said, I did not pay attention to that song as much and I will need to see a direct quote and more info from Dr. Freeze about that.

Last edited:

I am trying to say that he does not deserve credit if the songwriter heavily implies that he didn't write the song.

Yes, but the songwriter didn't heavily imply anything. Damien Shields (a FAN) did. Huge difference. Freeze was in Xscape documentary and he said nothing about it.

Yes, but the songwriter didn't heavily imply anything. Damien Shields (a FAN) did. Huge difference. Freeze was in Xscape documentary and he said nothing about it.

Onir, you seem to think that Dr. Freeze said a lot in the Xscape documentary. I would advise you to go and watch it again, because he really didn't say anything. He said that Blue Gangsta was musically a sequel to Smooth Criminal, and it blended three different ideas. He didn't say anything whatsoever about composition, recording, etc.

Onir, you seem to think that Dr. Freeze said a lot in the Xscape documentary. I would advise you to go and watch it again, because he really didn't say anything. He said that Blue Gangsta was musically a sequel to Smooth Criminal, and it blended three different ideas. He didn't say anything whatsoever about composition, recording, etc.

That's what I said. He never said anything about faking the credits. He only spoke about that to a FAN. If he had something to say he could have said it in Xscape documentary. I think Freeze is a good and honest guy and that you and Damien took what he said out of the context. I'm sure he knows that MJ is co-writer of all 3 collaborations. But he is the sole writer of the 3 demos.

This is why people should just WRITE THEIR OWN MUSIC AND LYRICS!!!! All these teams of song writers is BS and just shows that none of them have the talent to do it alone. Michael got lazy in his later years, relying on these teams to flesh out (sometimes ever complete) entire songs for him, then he would come in and add and take away where he felt it needed, therefore gaining a credit in the process. It is a frequently used method in the pop music industry where money is more important than artistry and integrity.

This is why i don't understand why now.

Can anybody answer this question for me why was Michael give credit for these tracks 2 days after he pass away? It was mention in a post in this thread. Just wonder sense we are talking about credit to songs.

This is why people should just WRITE THEIR OWN MUSIC AND LYRICS!!!! All these teams of song writers is BS and just shows that none of them have the talent to do it alone. Michael got lazy in his later years, relying on these teams to flesh out (sometimes ever complete) entire songs for him, then he would come in and add and take away where he felt it needed, therefore gaining a credit in the process. It is a frequently used method in the pop music industry where money is more important than artistry and integrity.

Cause alot of headache everybody want to be mention and you are right it is all about the money.

What every happen to copyright it will cut down on this credit it is a song you own no one else. That imo.

Back