Estate, Cascio and Porte Sued Over Three Songs on the "Michael" Album - Vera Senova Class Action

Estate, Cascio and Porte Sued Over Three Songs on the "Michael" Album - Vera Senova Class Action

I'm not sure if the songs are fake or not but interesting to see how this goes. I'm pretty sure Sony doesn't admit that they are fake even if they are. Also maybe Sony didn't know they were fake.

I just got a new news alert saying this has been featured on the fox news website. It seems to be gaining traction.

It's literally everywhere now haha.

I just got a new news alert saying this has been featured on the fox news website. It seems to be gaining traction.

I just checked and Fox News has it on their front page. Its not the top story but its there.

Everyone who got duped into buying music that wasn't Michael Jackson, needs not only an apology but also a refund check. That's outright deception. People wouldn't have bought the album if it was another musician. They should also stop selling the album, because if it features fake tracks, that should be a copyright issue. The album clearly states that it's Michael on those 3 tracks, when it isn't.

But I don't think Sony has actually admitted anything. Aren't all those news headlines kind of wrong?

[h=1]Sony Music Has Not Conceded That Vocals on Michael Jackson Album Are Fake[/h]
UPDATED: Articles published on Thursday claimed that Sony Music had “admitted” in a court hearing earlier this week that three tracks on “Michael,” the 2010 Michael Jackson album released posthumously by Sony’s Epic Records, contained lead vocals that were not actually by Michael Jackson — an assertion that the company denied in a statement released late Friday morning.

“No one has conceded that Michael Jackson did not sing on the songs,” said Zia Modabber of Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP, who is representing both Sony Music and the Jackson estate in this matter. “The hearing Tuesday was about whether the First Amendment protects Sony Music and the Estate and there has been no ruling on the issue of whose voice is on the recordings.”

The songs in question are “Breaking News,” “Monster” and “Keep Your Head Up,” which were released on “Michael,” the first album from a splashy ten-album 2010 deal between Jackson’s estate and Epic Records to complete and issue dozens of previously unreleased recordings by the singer. While the deal — which estimates at the time claimed could bring $250 million to the estate — called for the 10 albums to be released over the next seven years, just two have emerged, “Michael” and 2014’s “Xscape.”

Although involved parties have claimed that the recordings were faked since they were first released in 2010, the court hearing stems from a 2014 class-action lawsuit brought by a fan, Vera Serova, against Sony Music; John Branca, a co-executor of the estate; MJJ Productions; Edward Cascia and James Porte, the songwriter/producers of the songs in question; and their production companies. According to the lawsuit, in November 2010 Sony stated “We have complete confidence in the results of our extensive research as well as the accounts of those who were in the studio with Michael that the vocals on the new album are his own.” Howard Weitzman, an attorney for Jackson’s estate, released a statement citing multiple engineers, musicians, vocal directors, executives and musicologists as concluding that the vocals were Jackson’s.

Sony and the Jackson estate sought to throw the lawsuit based on California’s anti-SLAPP statute, which protects speech on matters of public interest. The trial court judge denied the motion, prompting Sony and the estate to appeal. The argument was heard Tuesday by a three-judge panel of the 2nd District Court of Appeal. Whether or not the vocals are indeed Jackson’s was not the purpose of Tuesday’s hearing, but rather whether the album’s liner notes are protected by the First Amendment.

“When you review the motion on appeal, you assume that everything in the complaint is true,” said Bryan Freedman, who represents other defendants in the case. “Any admission that was made was for purposes of that argument only.” A ruling on the anti-SLAPP motion is due within the next 90 days.

Among other issues, the 2014 lawsuit raises the question of whether people who purchased the album or songs “are entitled to a refund, in whole or in part, of the purchase price of the album ‘Michael’ and/or the songs.”

According to sources close to the situation, individuals who attended Tuesday’s court hearing seized upon a statement by an attorney for Jackson’s estate in which he said something to the effect of “even if the vocals weren’t Jackson’s” as proof that they were indeed faked. The sources insist that the attorney was speaking speculatively.

The notes read in part, “This album contains 9 previously unreleased vocal tracks performed by Michael Jackson. These tracks were recently completed using music from the original vocal tracks and music created by the credited producers.”

The wording of that statement is striking in light of Modabber’s comment, which says Jackson sang “on” the songs, which could be interpreted to mean that his vocals were enhanced or even completed by another singer. Fans have long claimed that an American singer named Jason Malachi actually sang the three songs in question, although his manager denied it in 2011.

Additional reporting by Gene Maddaus.

https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/s...on-michael-jackson-album-are-fake-1202916324/

Last edited:

The headlines are wrong yeah. Still. I'm glad it's getting attention.

I'm not sure if the songs are fake or not but interesting to see how this goes. I'm pretty sure Sony doesn't admit that they are fake even if they are. Also maybe Sony didn't know they were fake.

If there was no question about their validity at the time, why would Sony have conducted extensive research in to the matter unless something was fishy? Their statement at the time said:"We have complete confidence in the results of our extensive research.." Clearly something was off and they knew it!

"The wording of that statement is striking in light of Modabber’s comment, which says Jackson sang “on” the songs, which could be interpreted to mean that his vocals were enhanced or even completed by another singer." -Variety

I really hope this string of events will shed more light on what really went down..

The company Sony Records is really dumb.

No other musician or record company would have someone, a third party, give them recordings of a "musician", and they would not only release it as that musician, but market it as being him. The truth is, Sony and the Estate have been completely sloppy with how they have handled Michael's career after he passed.

Let's compare John Lennon to Michael Jackson. Lennon left unfinished demos for a followup album when he died, and Yoko Ono got a team of musicians together to finish it, and release it in the same format as Double Fantasy. And it's a pretty good album. No denying that all of that was Lennon.

Or how about when George Harrison died, and left an unfinished album? The team of musicians working on it finished it, and it came out as the album Brainwashed...and it sounded like George Harrison, and featured just George, no impersonators. No filled in vocals from another guy.

Michael would be appalled at having other people singing for him. He was Michael Jackson, and his voice was his gift. If he isn't singing in the song, don't put someone else in it on the album and say it's him. Sony are disrespectful for many reasons, but this is just another way that they are.

yeah when I read the way they worded it does leave it open for insinuation of Michael not being the onlyone on the songs.. Technically speaking it's true.. They are not lying, but.... could be decieving! you edit in MJ adlibs and "aows".. that makes it so he is "singing on" the songs.

Yeah, I'm sure Sony carefully chose those specific words on the CD. Anyway, I'm glad the story is making the rounds.

yeah when I read the way they worded it does leave it open for insinuation of Michael not being the onlyone on the songs.. Technically speaking it's true.. They are not lying, but.... could be decieving! you edit in MJ adlibs and "aows".. that makes it so he is "singing on" the songs.
Well, even if you follow that line of reasoning, then they are still lying. Because the sticker on the album said it contained "9 previously unreleased vocal tracks performed by Michael Jackson" (not 10 because The Way You Love Me had been released on the Ultimate Collection already). Even if you would count those copy/pasted MJ ad-libs on the Cascio tracks as 'MJ vocals' (which is of course already extremely far-fetched), then they're still lying because those ad-libs all come from previously released songs.

And of course anyone would assume Michael is performing lead vocals on a Michael Jackson album unless clearly stated otherwise. For tracks that featured guest vocalists (Akon, Lenny Kravitz, etc) their names are clearly listed.

^ play on words again.. they could use the cop out of the fact "the way you love me" was a re edited version.. maybe they could play that card.. what was released technically was never released. I think they could run with it legally! It is a different version than previously released.. as stupid as it is.. I think they could get away with that excuse..

Of course in law and the court of popular opinion are two different things.

The company Sony Records is really dumb.

No other musician or record company would have someone, a third party, give them recordings of a "musician", and they would not only release it as that musician, but market it as being him.

Sony are disrespectful for many reasons, but this is just another way that they are.

I don't disagree.....BUT Michael Jackson is on the album. In terms of business......sadly, I don't think respect ever comes into the equation.

Re: Estate, Cascio and Porte Sued Over Three Songs on the "Michael" Album - Vera Senova Class Action

I don't disagree.....BUT Michael Jackson is on the album. In terms of business......sadly, I don't think respect ever comes into the equation.

So? It was marketed as a studio album. That's clear deception.

Refund fans 30% for the cost of the album. That's about $3 per album. Sony is raking in millions from sales, including the vinyl rereleases I just bought. They surely can cough up that money.

Re: Estate, Cascio and Porte Sued Over Three Songs on the "Michael" Album - Vera Senova Class Action

What the Estate should have done, and Sony too, as soon as the slightest bit of controversy came out about the tracks, they should not have been put on the album because why take that risk? And word of the tracks being fake was out there even before the album was released, but they kept the tracks on there anyway. Now Sony and the Estate are in this mess.

I did buy the album for the real tracks. I didn't feel great about it, but if this fraud ever gets proven I'll be like

angry-man-in-the-phone-show-me-the-money-meme.jpg

https://www.spin.com/2018/08/sony-confesses-to-releasing-fake-michael-jackson-music/

This story originally appeared on Vibe, and was syndicated by SPIN.

In 2010, several songs were released that were said to be recorded by the late Michael Jackson. Four years later, one fan questioned the music’s validity, leading many to believe the music was fraudulent. Now, nearly three years after the scandal, Sony Music Entertainment has admitted to releasing and selling fake tunes by the late legend.

The fake songs reportedly appeared on the 2010 posthumous album Michael. The songs in question include: “Monster,” “Keep Your Head Up,” and “Breaking News.” In court documents obtained by Karen Civil, Vera Servoa – the fan who kickstarted the investigation into the fake MJ songs – filed a civil suit, accusing Jackson’s longtime friends Eddie Cascio, James Victor Porte, and his production company, Angelikson Productions LLC of creating and selling music through Sony and the Jackson estate.

Cascio and Porte initially claimed that the songs were recorded in Cascio’s basement in 2007. Serova and the Jackson family, contested those claims however. While the singles sounded similar to MJ’s sound, they said Michael never recorded them. Serova testified in the Los Angeles Superior Court that they were recorded by an impersonator named Jason Malachi.

Consequently, Sony Music Entertainment conceded in court, that it had released fake singles. It’s unclear if fans or Jackson’s estate will be awarded for the criminal behavior or whether there will be an monetary punishment for Sony.

This article originally appeared on Vibe.

ConservativeMind;4228878 said:
https://www.spin.com/2018/08/sony-confesses-to-releasing-fake-michael-jackson-music/

This story originally appeared on Vibe, and was syndicated by SPIN.

In 2010, several songs were released that were said to be recorded by the late Michael Jackson. Four years later, one fan questioned the music’s validity, leading many to believe the music was fraudulent. Now, nearly three years after the scandal, Sony Music Entertainment has admitted to releasing and selling fake tunes by the late legend.

The fake songs reportedly appeared on the 2010 posthumous album Michael. The songs in question include: “Monster,” “Keep Your Head Up,” and “Breaking News.” In court documents obtained by Karen Civil, Vera Servoa – the fan who kickstarted the investigation into the fake MJ songs – filed a civil suit, accusing Jackson’s longtime friends Eddie Cascio, James Victor Porte, and his production company, Angelikson Productions LLC of creating and selling music through Sony and the Jackson estate.

Cascio and Porte initially claimed that the songs were recorded in Cascio’s basement in 2007. Serova and the Jackson family, contested those claims however. While the singles sounded similar to MJ’s sound, they said Michael never recorded them. Serova testified in the Los Angeles Superior Court that they were recorded by an impersonator named Jason Malachi.

Consequently, Sony Music Entertainment conceded in court, that it had released fake singles. It’s unclear if fans or Jackson’s estate will be awarded for the criminal behavior or whether there will be an monetary punishment for Sony.

Interesting that this source is called SPIN. Lol. Sony Music did not concede in court that it had released fake singles, or fake anything. The three Cascio songs were not even released as singles. "Hold My Hand" and "Hollywood Tonight".....perhaps also "Behind the Mask" in some countries, were the singles. They're not fake.

This piece has already been posted upthread, but I'll post it again for emphasis.
It explains more clearly what is actually going on in the legal process of this case.

Sony Music Has Not Conceded That Vocals on Michael Jackson Album Are Fake
By JEM ASWAD

Articles published on Thursday claimed that Sony Music had “admitted” in a court hearing earlier this week that three tracks on “Michael,” the 2010 Michael Jackson album released posthumously by Sony’s Epic Records, contained lead vocals that were not actually by Michael Jackson — an assertion that the company denied in a statement released late Friday morning.

“No one has conceded that Michael Jackson did not sing on the songs,” said Zia Modabber of Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP, who is representing both Sony Music and the Jackson estate in this matter. “The hearing Tuesday was about whether the First Amendment protects Sony Music and the Estate and there has been no ruling on the issue of whose voice is on the recordings.” That interpretation was seconded to Variety by the plaintiff’s attorney on Friday afternoon.

The songs in question are “Breaking News,” “Monster” and “Keep Your Head Up,” which were released on “Michael,” the first album from a splashy ten-album 2010 deal between Jackson’s estate and Epic Records to complete and issue dozens of previously unreleased recordings by the singer. While the deal — which estimates at the time claimed could bring $250 million to the estate — called for the 10 albums to be released over the next seven years, just two have emerged, “Michael” and 2014’s “Xscape.”

Although involved parties have claimed that the recordings were faked since they were first released in 2010, the court hearing stems from a 2014 class-action lawsuit brought by a fan, Vera Serova, against Sony Music; John Branca, a co-executor of the estate; MJJ Productions; Edward Cascia and James Porte, the songwriter/producers of the songs in question; and their production companies. According to the lawsuit, in November 2010 Sony stated “We have complete confidence in the results of our extensive research as well as the accounts of those who were in the studio with Michael that the vocals on the new album are his own.” Howard Weitzman, an attorney for Jackson’s estate, released a statement citing multiple engineers, musicians, vocal directors, executives and musicologists as concluding that the vocals were Jackson’s.

Sony and the Jackson estate sought to throw the lawsuit based on California’s anti-SLAPP (Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation) statute, which protects speech on matters of public interest. The trial court judge denied the motion, prompting Sony and the estate to appeal. The argument was heard Tuesday by a three-judge panel of the 2nd District Court of Appeal. Whether or not the vocals are indeed Jackson’s was not the purpose of Tuesday’s hearing, but rather whether the album’s liner notes and a video promoting it qualified as “commercial speech,” which, if they were would mean they are not protected by the anti-SLAPP statute.

“When you review the motion on appeal, you assume that everything in the complaint is true,” said Bryan Freedman, who represents other defendants in the case. “Any admission that was made was for purposes of that argument only.” A ruling on the anti-SLAPP motion is due within the next 90 days.

Among other issues, the 2014 lawsuit raises the question of whether people who purchased the album or songs “are entitled to a refund, in whole or in part, of the purchase price of the album ‘Michael’ and/or the songs.”

According to sources close to the situation, individuals who attended Tuesday’s court hearing seized upon a statement by an attorney for Jackson’s estate in which he said something to the effect of “even if the vocals weren’t Jackson’s” as proof that they were indeed faked. The sources insist that the attorney was speaking speculatively.

The notes read in part, “This album contains 9 previously unreleased vocal tracks performed by Michael Jackson. These tracks were recently completed using music from the original vocal tracks and music created by the credited producers.”

The wording of that statement is striking in light of Modabber’s comment, which says Jackson sang “on” the songs, which could be interpreted to mean that his vocals were enhanced or even completed by another singer. Fans have long claimed that an American singer named Jason Malachi actually sang the three songs in question, and he purportedly admitted as much in a 2011 Facebook post, according to TMZ, although his manager later denied it, claiming the post was faked.

https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/s...on-michael-jackson-album-are-fake-1202916324/

Was Breaking News not released as a single? It was the first song released from the album online for people to go check out, and it immediately got the controversy of fake vocals started.

I was extremely excited to see they had finally admitted it yesterday. That excitement was completely crushed when I found out the articles had been misleading.

In this interview, Damien sums up the current state of the court case very clearly. He also divulges some very interesting new information:
]

If his so-called research is as truthful as interpreting/twisting Teddy Riley's Twitter posts in such a way - as he clearly again claims in that video - that Riley would have called the songs fake or alluded to it when Riley clearly was talking about his role as a hired producer that did commissional work after certain fans have been harassing him for months, then it will only show you the shipwreck he has caused for himself.

There's no rocket science needed to know what he will have come up with - it won't be what some of you might hope since the dude is overegging the pudding regarding the (non-)significance of hearsay, personal opinions, one-sided/biased conclusions and sympathies and agendas.

One fact: he is obsessed with Jason Malachi. I'll say it again for the sake of touch with reality: this is a dead end and he will ultimately fail in that regard and probably realize too late what wrong turning he has been on all these years.

Last edited:

One fact: he is obsessed with Jason Malachi. I'll say it again for the sake of touch with reality: this is a dead end and he will ultimately fail in that regard and probably realize too late what wrong turning he has been on all these years.

I love when people are mysterious on here(!)

Re: Breaking News. It was certainly released to radio in the US, as far as I remember.

Interesting that this source is called SPIN.

Spin is a legitimate music magazine that has been around for years, very similar to Rolling Stone. Their name is a play on how vinyls and CDs "spin." It has nothing to do with what you are suggesting.

^ it's still ironic.

In this interview, Damien sums up the current state of the court case very clearly. He also divulges some very interesting new information:
]

What new info does he say? Haven't managed to find time to watch this yet.

If his so-called research is as truthful as interpreting/twisting Teddy Riley's Twitter posts in such a way - as he clearly again claims in that video - that Riley would have called the songs fake or alluded to it when Riley clearly was talking about his role as a hired producer that did commissional work after certain fans have been harassing him for months, then it will only show you the shipwreck he has caused for himself.

There's no rocket science needed to know what he will have come up with - it won't be what some of you might hope since the dude is overegging the pudding regarding the (non-)significance of hearsay, personal opinions, one-sided/biased conclusions and sympathies and agendas.

The songs are fake. That's the be all end all here. They use pasted words from songs on the Invincible album and a few others [I think one has some Rock With You sprinkled on?] to make them sound more real. The original Keep Your Head Up was a direct copy and paste of the last 41 seconds of Earth Song. MJStar's review of the song even admitted as such. They were invited to the pre-release album party and their story changed, but that's another issue for another day.

These are a disgrace to Michael Jackson's name, discography and everything he stood for as a worker. They need to be removed from his discography, publicly apologised for and maybe then we can move on from the absolute sh!t show that is Michael's estate and their 'effort' that was the 'Michael' album.

Back