Family Thing - What Do We Know?

SRT99

Proud Member

I remember when I first heard this song a couple years ago, I really liked the Halloween-ish vibe of it and I was always interested to know if there was a more complete version recorded before it got canned and what's the story behind it?

We know that it was recorded for the 1993 film, Addams Family Values, along with Ghosts and Is It Scary (which were released later on), but then contractual obligations got in the way and as such, MJ and Paramount Pictures were forced to cut ties with each other. Most people assume it was because the allegations that happened the same year, but that seems to not be the case.

Another thing we know is that a short film was also being produced for Is It Scary, and a workprint was released a few years ago. However, that got canned as well, but was later turned into the longer short film, Ghosts.

I'm curious if anyone here has knowledge of how much work got done on it and if anyone has been able to hear a HQ version of the song?

According to Paramount Pictures, the ‘Family Thing’ song was removed from the film because of contractual differences between Michael Jackson and Paramount Pictures.

But Paul Rudnick (the writer of the film) provided a different explanation for the song’s and also for the video's removal, and he stated it was because of the child abuse allegations against Michael Jackson at the time.

“… I think he completed the video for it, but it was just a little too risky to include it in the final movie at that point … I think it involved him living in the Addams Family mansion and all of his neighbors storming the place with pitchforks and torches. So it was a little too close. That's why it wasn't included …” (Paul Rudnick, writer of the ‘Addams Family Values’ film)

There are also three alternative titles of the song, ‘Addams Groove’, ‘Family Values’, and ‘Family Morales’.

Back in the early 90s there was a very popular music mail order in Germany "Disc Center", with a giant stock including lots of mint backstock Michael Jackson vinyl, CD, singles, rare poster bag singles, the "Someone Put Your Hand Out" MC etc.

They sent out catalogs with the full stock every month, and I remember sometime in 1993 one listed Michael Jackson "Family Thing". I still remember this, because back then it boggled my mind what the hell that would be, and thought it was a mistake / mixup with another artist.

Unless this is a strangely corrupted memory I have there, it could mean that likely a complete version of this song exists. Sony (or whoever was releasing the music to the film) probably wouldn't hand out infos about upcoming releases to distributors if a song wasn't even finished yet.

It think the catalog listed 2-3 things with this title. Like single CD and 7" single or so. Which were up for pre-order.

Does anyone from Germany still have a collection of Disc Center catalogs from 1993 by any chance? :D

Just an example of those catalogs...
558788-426365620743325-1816560859-n.jpg

This was discussed some ages ago. This is what I found in my notes.

JACKSON, Michael - Family Thing [EPC 659688 2] CDM - 10/18/1993
JACKSON, Michael - Family Thing [EPC 659688 6] 12" - 10/18/1993
JACKSON, Michael - Greatest Hits [EPC 474709 2] CD - 10/26/1993
JACKSON, Michael - Greatest Hits [EPC 474709 6] LP - 10/26/1993

Interestingly, "Adam'S Groove" (same song as "Family Thing" or different one?) was slated for a 1999 release.

"Adam'S Groove" CD https://www.amazon.co.uk/AdamS-Groove-Michael-Jackson/dp/B00007068F/
"Adam'S Groove" 12" https://www.amazon.de/AdamS-Groove-Maxi-Single-Michael-Jackson/dp/B00007068G/

Last edited:

Interestingly, "Adam'S Groove" (same song as "Family Thing" or different one?) was slated for a 1999 release.

"Adam'S Groove" CD https://www.amazon.co.uk/AdamS-Groove-Michael-Jackson/dp/B00007068F/
"Adam'S Groove" 12" https://www.amazon.de/AdamS-Groove-Maxi-Single-Michael-Jackson/dp/B00007068G/

October 26th 1993 would have been the release date of the Greatest Hits album that later became HIStory. It looks like Family Thing was going to be on the album.

I know a lot of people don't consider Shana Mangatal a credible source but she talked about the song a while ago. She basically confirms that Michael wrote lyrics for the verses too:

Some unreleased lyrics she mentions in the video:

''Squeeze the trigger til' I'm dead,
The blood is running good and red,
And the pain is quite enormous,
Also I wouldn't be human if I laid here and ignored this,
But I'm hard as nails.''

Last edited:
Well the situation of the song is just mumbling in verses with some extra words, but chorus is vocally full. … Those lyrics aren´t recorded.

tada tada tada inside your head… (that is the very first line... )

1st verse
Pre chorus
2nd verse
Pre chorus
short Chorus
3rd verse
pre chorus
longer chorus + adlibs
instrumental bridge
longer chorus + more adlibs
instrumental outro

But I'm hard as nails.''
:imbad

Where did you get those from?

Pretty sure the demo was tracked in August ‘93, shortly before Michael started the third leg of the Dangerous tour, then everything went to hell once the Chandler accusations popped up.

lubyss;4295076 said:
Well the situation of the song is just mumbling in verses with some extra words, but chorus is vocally full. … Those lyrics aren´t recorded.

Did any of Michaels studio people say this? Otherwise how can we be sure that there isn't a finished version?

Fuzball;4295142 said:
They were posted on a MJ forum in the early 2000s. As far as I remember they're printed in some german magazine. It could be the one Electro had mentioned, but I'm not positive on that.

Those Disc Center mail order catalogs didn't show the Epic release catalog numbers though, nor release dates (see example in my last post). They must have gotten this info from a distributor. So this probably showed up in other places as well.

Actually it was unusual that Disc Center would do pre-orders. What they listed, they usually had in stock. So once this showed up, it was probably meant to be available at that point. Maybe it had been cancelled long before, but the info somehow was stuck in the system.

"Adam's Groove" showing up on Amazon in 1999 could be some fan fake. Was Amazon even selling anything but books by 1999? Not sure how long their "Marketplace" service is available, but now it's not too hard to open a seller account on Amazon and create new products.

Last edited:
Wow. i'm just now hearing and discovering this song. love it! i love the bass and the melody. i hope we will be able to hear the unreleased version one day. :listeningtomusic (y)

Brad Said it, and there is no reason that he would play unfinished version, if the finished existed :)

Those Disc Center mail order catalogs didn't show the Epic catalog numbers though, nor release dates. They must have gotten this info from a distributor. So this probably showed up in other places as well.
Maybe there's a more finished version than the one Brad has on cassette. It's not impossible that such one could exist on MT reels.

Brad Said it, and there is no reason that he would play unfinished version, if the finished existed :)

But Man In Black was also played (I don't know if it was Brad's seminar or Bryan Loren's) and it isn't the finished version.

From a thread in the German jacksonville forum (info was collectively assembled):

Addam's Groove (1993) (Michael Jackson)
Alternative titles: Adam's Groove, Family Affairs, Family Thing, Family Values
Michael Jackson

This song was recorded for the late 1993 movie ADDAMS FAMILY VALUES
which is the sequel to comedy classic THE ADDAMS FAMILY from 1991.
The whole project was canceled due to the highly publicized bogus allegations.
There have been several plans to release the song one way or another.
These include the following scheduled releases (all canceled!):

Greatest Hits" (474709 2)
Release date (canceled): 26th October 1993
Article number for Japan: ESCA-5030-1
Set to include 4 never-heard-before tracks.
"Family Thing" (659688-2/6) [CDM / 12" Vinyl]
Release date (canceled): 18th October 1993
Article number for Japan: ESDA-7086
"History (His Story)" [2CD-Set]
Release date (canceled): October 1994
Set to include 5-7 brand-new tracks (with "Is It Scary")
plus 25 remastered tracks, first concept for HIStory!

Canceled OFFICIAL releases:
(_:__) "Adam's Groove"
(Single, CD, December 1993)
EAN: 5099765968828
(_:__) "Adam's Groove"
(Single, Vinyl, December 1993)
EAN: 5099765968866
ASIN: B00007068G

Sources:
Amazon GERMANY
Ciao.de
Epic Records / SONY Music
"Musikexpress Sound" (German magazine, October 1993 issue)
"Musikwoche" (German magazine, October 1993 issue)

Last edited:
@Electro I found ""Musikexpress Sound" (German magazine, October 1993 issue)" on the magazines website. How can I flip through it? Any idea?

@Electro I found ""Musikexpress Sound" (German magazine, October 1993 issue)" on the magazines website. How can I flip through it? Any idea?

Looks like you need a subscription.
10 euro for 3 issues. Then you also have access to the online archive.
But probably that issue doesn't have more info than that extract.

The thing I've found when it comes to following Michael's unreleased material is expect nothing and you'll be surprised by everything

I never thought I would love A Place With No Name and Price Of Fame so much so that they would be in my top Mike songs but I also never thought I'd find myself unable to get a hook like, "Deep in the night, deep in the night" out my head, (also that works as a great lullaby, I used to play it to get my girlfriend's sister to sleep)

My point being is, who knows really? Personally I doubt it would have ever got to distribution level of release with a first line that goes,
"tada tada tada inside your head", but maybe it was to be a special b side release aimed at fans who crave anything Mike regardless of level completion. Maybe the song Ghosts, had the working title Family Thing, like how Tabloid Junkie had it's title? Then it became it's own song, much like how Is It Scary happened?

I do like the demo as we have it now, I love freedom and the funkiness it's got to it. A higher quality release of it one day would be great.

Do we know who produced Family Thing and when it was first written (1993?)

I don't know why but I can open it (sadly I can't speak german at all). I can't make a screenshot because that page doesn't allow me to do it. Anyway, on page 92 (right column) it says:

NEUE SAMPLER
von A-Z

(a list of some artists and then...)

MICHAEL JACKSON
Greatest Hits
Sony Music 474709

I leave the link here in case someone wants to check it out
https://www.musikexpress.de/wp-con...ess/bkC8nxCxa0V10/index.html#/html5///page/92

Last edited:
October 26th 1993 would have been the release date of the Greatest Hits album that later became HIStory. It looks like Family Thing was going to be on the album.

I know a lot of people don't consider Shana Mangatal a credible source but she talked about the song a while ago. She basically confirms that Michael wrote lyrics for the verses too:

Some unreleased lyrics she mentions in the video:

But I'm hard as nails.''

While I don't trust her thank you for this.

Back