Forgettable Songs

@mjfanatic777

Hike Smart
Country
United-States
Michael has a lot of songs that some times we fans forget about them. So here is a thread were those songs can get in the spotlight. Also this thread for the songs that need more recognition because most of them are really good!
So here's my list:
Heaven Can Wait
Cry
Just Good Friends
Another Part Of Me
Whatever Happens
Butterfiles
Speechless
Privacy
Invincible
Is It Scary
2 Bad
Keep the Faith
Can't Let Her Get Away
She Drives Me Wild
Liberian Girl
Speed Demon
Baby Be Mine
Workin' Day and Night
Tabloid Junkie
Jam
History
D.S.
Money
Morphine
Little Susie
Unbreakable
Heartbreaker

Ok, that is my list. What is yours? Enjoy Moonwalkers!

Michael has a lot of songs that some times we fans forget about them. So here is a thread were those songs can get in the spotlight. Also this thread for the songs that need more recognition because most of them are really good!
[…]
Oh, so the title should read ‘Forgotten’ rather than ‘Forgettable’, I presume?

Everything Michael from before 1979 belongs on this list.

As Agonum says, everything Motown, criminally forgotten BUT I get it, it‘s a completely different style, I understand it has a different audience.
- the film version of “you can’t win“. Funky as hell! Prefer it over the other version.
- someone in the dark… have praised this song several times, too beautiful.
- take your pick: the 4 Jacksons albums…. Time waits for no one should have all the fangirls swooning and melting but judging from the streams many fans don’t seem to know it exists

As Agonum says, everything Motown, criminally forgotten BUT I get it, it‘s a completely different style, I understand it has a different audience.
- the film version of “you can’t win“. Funky as hell! Prefer it over the other version.
- someone in the dark… have praised this song several times, too beautiful.
- take your pick: the 4 Jacksons albums…. Time waits for no one should have all the fangirls swooning and melting but judging from the streams many fans don’t seem to know it exists
I love time waits for no one plus that's what you get for being polite are brilliant Jacksons songs.

Few others like dreamer, even though you're gone and show you the way to go - 🔥

Forgotten: definitely the Music & Me album (which just had its 50th anniversary btw)

Forgettable: She Drives Me Wild, uff, if Someone Put Your Hand Out had found its way on Dangerous instead of this throwaway it would have been my favourite album

Forgotten: definitely the Music & Me album (which just had its 50th anniversary btw)

Forgettable: She Drives Me Wild, uff, if Someone Put Your Hand Out had found its way on Dangerous instead of this throwaway it would have been my favourite album
I will never understand the hate SDMW and CLHGA get, Someone Put Your Hand Out is mediocre and it ending up on Dangerous would have just made a better version of Invincible, so basically a ballad album lol

Going back to the topic of the thread, i guess Little Susie counts, i usually never see it mentioned when people talk about HIStory.

This is It doesn't get much play or attention tbh. Even though the film is a huge boon.

Otherwise, idk. Abortion Papers gets the least talked about, and Free. History as a song by itself is also glossed over pretty often. And OP forgot Don't Walk Away. Hold My Hand, Shake a Body, the demo to Shake Your Body, Scared of the Moon, Don't Be Messin' 'Round. Trouble from Thriller 40 isn't talked about much anymore.

Some songs listed above like privacy are very much meh and absolutely not underrated - they're just not that very good.

Tabloid junkie is a song that I think is very good and should be considered as underrated.

Torture is an incredible song, I didn’t even know about it until I joined this place a few months ago and it’s been on repeat.
Great song , check out Jermaine Jackson featuring MJ - tell me I'm not dreaming (if you've not heard of that also) as it's another killer track.

MJ steals the show with his vocals in that one too 😂

I will never understand the hate SDMW and CLHGA get, Someone Put Your Hand Out is mediocre and it ending up on Dangerous would have just made a better version of Invincible, so basically a ballad album lol

Going back to the topic of the thread, i guess Little Susie counts, i usually never see it mentioned when people talk about HIStory.
Hand Out is amazing and lyrically one of his best songs. Great Teddy Riley production too.

Lots of my faves are getting name-checked which is peachy! Little Susie, Don't Walk Away, WALWTG, Wait ...

This is It doesn't get much play or attention tbh. Even though the film is a huge boon.
omg, TII. Michael's vocals, the mood, the lightness of it, love everything about it. Not saying it's the strongest song he ever did but I do love it. I always say this, Michael's voice was built for those type of songs.

Otherwise, idk. Abortion Papers gets the least talked about,
Top fave. Awesome on every level. Fabulous song, lyrically brilliant. Love it.

History as a song by itself is also glossed over pretty often.
Which is weird. Great song, imo.

Chicago 1945 definitely feels forgotten about. All that hype gone in a day. And now there's no push, or anything. Thriller 40 had more clout, and that had no clout.

That's why projects shouldn't be made for (Just) the hardcore fans, we listen to it and then what? The outside perspective, casual fans, radio charts, hearing it in the public world, that's what makes MJ releases so exciting. I just miss how hype worthy it all was. Just a song on YouTube doesn't have legs.

At least we still have Buffalo Bill and Rolling the Dice.

Last edited:
Also, So Shy by Bill Wolfer is the most forgotten MJ song (feature). I never see it mentioned at all. That man played the iconic synth riff of Billie Jean for crying out loud.

Chicago 1945 definitely feels forgotten about. All that hype gone in a day. And now there's no push, or anything. Thriller 40 had more clout, and that had no clout.

That's why projects shouldn't be made for (Just) the hardcore fans, we listen to it and then what? The outside perspective, casual fans, radio charts, hearing it in the public world, that's what makes MJ releases so exciting. I just miss how hype worthy it all was. Just a song on YouTube doesn't have legs.

At least we still have Buffalo Bill and Rolling the Dice.
Chicago 1945 was leaked due to being stolen and was never intended for release.

Only the hardcore MJ fans know about it. It's defo not been forgotten about, more due to the fact that only a small section of MJ fans know about it.

Most of the b side stuff T40 was trash , no wonder it wasn't well received.

I'm gonna go a bit off-topic here but man, the week leading up to the release of Thriller 40 was amazing. We got news about a new, unheard song coming on the album, we heard about Dream Away for the first time, then the rumors of Chicago 1945 being recorded started going around, then snippets were being leaked and merely hours later we got both songs in full. And if that wasn't enough the 4K clips were leaked one by one on official platforms. Then the next day we got snippets of the new songs on T40 and 2 days later we got a new album after 8 years of nothing. It happened not even 6 months ago and I already miss those days, that was the best time to be a fan in years. Hopefully there'll be more times like those.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread, I got nostalgic for a bit lol

Also, So Shy by Bill Wolfer is the most forgotten MJ song (feature). I never see it mentioned at all. That man played the iconic synth riff of Billie Jean for crying out loud.
I wouldn't say that song is forgotten. Most people have never heard of Bill Wolfer or So Shy in the first place. Bill and his album are pretty obscure. That song was not a single or got any radio airplay in the US. At least not on any commercial radio stations, maybe it got played on college radio or in clubs.

Chicago 1945 was leaked due to being stolen and was never intended for release.

Only the hardcore MJ fans know about it. It's defo not been forgotten about, more due to the fact that only a small section of MJ fans know about it.

Most of the b side stuff T40 was trash , no wonder it wasn't well received.
My point is it's been spoiled. And it's too bad it has been. But we aren't talking about it much here, and most of us have heard it so idk, it's forgotten by MJJCommunity. Some people even say it's overrated now. It's not (Though Steve needs to stop altering it because now it's sounding scruffy)

And I didn't say Thriller 40 wasn't well received. The Estate just had as much interest in promoting it as the fans have in the album itself these days.

I wouldn't say that song is forgotten. Most people have never heard of Bill Wolfer or So Shy in the first place. Bill and his album are pretty obscure. That song was not a single or got any radio airplay in the US. At least not on any commercial radio stations, maybe it got played on college radio or in clubs.
If it's lost to history then it's forgotten. Unless you're saying even back then it was underplayed. Which, it probably was. Bill Wolfer was no Stevie or Diana or Paul or Kenny Loggins or Quincy Jones or even Jermaine. Still, it was post Thriller. It could've blown up.

If it's lost to history then it's forgotten. Unless you're saying even back then it was underplayed. Which, it probably was. Bill Wolfer was no Stevie or Diana or Paul or Kenny Loggins or Quincy Jones or even Jermaine. Still, it was post Thriller. It could've blown up.
Well, you must know something to be able to forget about it. It’s hard to forget about something you don’t know. So there’s that.

Well, you must know something to be able to forget about it. It’s hard to forget about something you don’t know. So there’s that.
People don't even discover it. I just discovered it a few months ago and I've known about every other MJ feature/Collab since at least 2015. Even "Don't Let a Woman (Make a Fool Outta You)."

Hmm… maybe we should talk about ‘undiscovered’ songs, then? Because ‘forgotten’ implies that it is something that you’ve known, but forgotten about.

First it was forgettable, then it's forgotten, underrated underrepresented. We all know what we're talking about. No need to quibble about words.

If it's lost to history then it's forgotten. Unless you're saying even back then it was underplayed.
lt wasn't played because it wasn't a single and I mentioned that Bill is little known. He's primarily a session musician. There's literally thousands of albums released every year in all genres all over the world. They can't all get on the radio and some aren't designed for that such as stand up comedy albums, spoken word, & sound effects. I just looked at his chart history in Billboard. He has 3 albums that charted (the only 3 he has under his own name).

1983 - Wolf (#50 R&B albums) this is the album So Shy is on
1989 - And It Rained All Through The Night (#7 New Age albums)
1990 - Caught In The Blue Light (#11 New Age albums)

singles:
1982 - Papa Was A Rolling Stone (#47 R&B, #55 Hot 100)

People don't even discover it.
Going by the reaction videos on Youtube, many of the reactors have never heard of well known oldies like Take On Me (A-Ha), Freebird (Lynyrd Skynyrd), or In The Air Tonight (Phil Collins). The reactors generally pick songs from requests, they aren't looking for the songs themselves. So if they don't know popular songs and/or artists, they are for sure not going to look for an album track by an obscure artist. 🤣 Also the average person does not look for or care about everything a singer or musician has participated in. There's a reason that with some artists like The Carpenters, Johnny Mathis, Eagles, & Queen, their Greatest Hits/Best Of has sold way more than any of their regular albums. They sell to radio listeners and contain songs they are familiar with.

Back