Formule 1

Poor Heikki! Again with an unreliable car :( Hopefully the season goes better than the tests in the last few days..

They said they're getting huge update to Barcelona. Too bad there's way too many races before that! :(

Oooh the season starts in few days! I didn't even realize it's so close!

Too bad there isn't any Finns who could really fight for the wins but I hope Lotus shows at least little improving from the tests.. it should be interesting anyway how the races go with the new rules.

I believe this season is going to be very interesting even if there isn't many Finns. :)

There's much hype going on about Schumi. Wow. And it seems like Schumi and Hamilton wants to be star on James Bond movie. :D

Alonso.. I'm only happy Kimi managed to do that before him.

I'm all cheering for Vettel now, hopefully they'll get over the little problems they had.. I'm also happy for Nico beating Schumi! :clapping: :D And of course I hope Heikki does some improving during the season, at least he wasn't last.

I cheer for Vettel too. Too bad he had bad luck in last race so he lost podium.

The race was very boring. I hope they'll do some changes because that is boring. But I'm not going to see the next two races so it doesn't matter. :D

I am ever soooo glad Schumi came back. :D He IS the man. Used to be a huge fan, for about an entire decade (1996-2006/2007) i would watch the races every Sunday. When he retired the sport ceased to exist for me; i was kinda intrigued by Lewis Hamilton, but not enough to continue watching lol. The race this past Sunday has been the first i saw in more than three years. And yeah, it was kinda boring. I heard they changed a lot of the rules, no more gas filling and stuff which takes away from the excitement and the strategies that could have been made...

Sure hope Schumi will be in better positions during the upcoming races. I used to root for Ferrari for obvious reasons, but now i could care less - i am for the man, not the machine. I initially thought Schumi was running for McLaren (such old foes lol), but now i read he is with the former Petronas team, which had been Ross Brown's in the meantime - Mercedes GP as they call it now. That's interesting, hopefully they provide him with a car worthy of his talents and experience. Where the next race @? Australia, right?

Btw of Schumi - i remember back in 97 there was a story in Germany about Schumi meeting Michael. I think one of the ten concerts Michael did in Germany that summer was on Hockenheim ring, if my memory serves me right - one of the two F1 circuits Germany had in the championship (one their own and one for Europe).

On the teletext of SAT1 (a German TV station) they had a story with the title "Michael meets Michael" and from the little German i came to know because of those ten concerts and that teletext lol i could understand they were supposed to meet somewhere round there. I wonder if that meeting actually took place. It would have been great for two of my heroes, two masters in their own fields to be in the same place as the same time, such a nice thought :)

Next race is in Australia, yes, the weekend after this weekend :D And yup, Schumi drives for Mercedes because McLaren has their two Brits Hamster Hamilton and Button...

So nice to see you here btw! So it's not just me and Evilman all the time.. :)

Yeah! Nice to see you Shabuya. :)

But Ecclestone tells that rules aren't going to be changed... blah. I really hope there is going to be even a bit changes.

I hope Vettel has better luck in Australia. Red Bull's engines aren't so reliable. :(

^^^ Thanks guys for ur welcome. Too bad there were only the two of you up in here; i actually believe three is a crowd, but not when it comes to Formula1 lol.

Can't wait to see what happens in Australia. And yeah, i heard about them rules not changing, but i'm afraid a lot of the show and excitement will be gone, will see...

I was gonna say Max Mosley as well having a role in this, but i read Jean Todt took over his job last October - it really shows i haven't followed F1 in quite some time, i have tons of stuff to catch up on.

Mosley was very harmful for Formulas, I think. But there is nothing I've seen that Todt has done. I hope he can do some good changes. I don't remember any good changes made by Mosley.

Who's idea was it to take fueling off?

Mosley was very harmful for Formulas, I think. But there is nothing I've seen that Todt has done. I hope he can do some good changes. I don't remember any good changes made by Mosley.

Who's idea was it to take fueling off?

I wouldn't know, but whoeva came up with that 'brilliant' idea needs a real whooping; they've taken the freaking rush outta sport as far as i'm concerned lol. Let's wait and see, maybe the teams will think of other strategies, but i don't really see how they can go around the fuel thing - at the beginning of the race the cars are slower and only at the end cause the tank is dryin up do they pic up speed; well, people won't bother wait for the end of the races if nothing happens in the meantime. It is after all a multi-billion $ business so they can't think of new ways to keep people interested and in a buying mood and companies interested in advertising, but with these changes they might have shot themselves in the foot.

Last edited:
I agree the refueling ban was the stupidest thing to do to F1. Even the little excitement of (most) races is now gone!

Raikkonen rumours rock F1 circuit

• By Ted Macauley, Special to Gulf News
  • Published: 00:00 March 20, 2010
  • 3510741613.gif
The fallout from the rumour factory that is Formula One, even before the first wheel had spun at the Bahrain Grand Prix opener, is that gloomy deadpan Kimi Raikkonen plans a return to the scene next year.

After being offloaded by Ferrari and overlooked by McLaren, who signed champion Jenson Button instead for fifth of the unsmiling Finn's £25 million (Dh140.18 million) asking price, Raikkonen I hear has been earmarked for a seat at Red Bull F1.

My info goes that he will be signed to link with 22-year-old German wonderboy Sebastien Vettel after the departure from the scene of Aussie Mark Webber at this season's shutdown. Meanwhile, Raikkonen, 30, will carry on sticking his neck on the line in the hair-raising pursuit of world championship rally glory in a second-string Citroen. He distinguished himself in a spectacular, high-speed upsidedowner last time out, only his second start in the championship chase, in Mexico — but remarkably survived five car-wrecking somersaults unscathed to say: "We were a bit unlucky, the car just slid wide, clipped the side and rolled."

It was a spectacular follow-up to the series of "offs" he had suffered on his rallying debut in Sweden in February — but it hasn't deterred or deflated him and he said: "I really am enjoying this."

When Red Bull F1 team boss Christian Horner heard of Raikkonen's intentions he admitted: "I think it is an interesting idea — but next season is a long way off. And there have been no discussions."

Team owner Dietrich Mateschitz was a little more forthright with a dismissive: "There's no truth in it."

But Formula One, as all followers of the sport fully appreciate, is laden with double talk and cover-ups and I most certainly would not rule out as rubbish the talk of a Raikkonen return with them.

An ex-F1 racer laments cranky Raikkonen's exit from F1 but warns: "To go out and then try to get back in is a very hard thing to do because there is always fresh talent coming up and about the place.

"It is a shame because Kimi is a wonderful talent, very fast,and a great character in his own right."

Laconic? Gloomy? A miseryguts? "No, not all," he argues, "away from racing he's chat-chat-chat, good fun, and a non-stop talker". Raikkonen, on a one-year deal with Citroen Juniors, says: "If I could win the WRC title it would mean more than my F1 championship three years ago. "This is definitely the biggest challenge I have ever faced. But I want it. And I am learning from it." He added: "But the doors to Formula One are still open to me. And I will make a decision midway through the year."

Should we put that down to wishful thinking — or does he know something he won't tell us?

http://gulfnews.com/sport/motorsport/raikkonen-rumours-rock-f1-circuit-1.600173

I don't know if Kimi will ever go back to F1 again since he seems to be so happy and relaxed over at rally (which I'm fine with :)) But if he decides to do a comeback I would love to see him in the same team with Vettel. Two good friends, I'm sure it would work out fine.

But if he decides to do a comeback I would love to see him in the same team with Vettel. Two good friends, I'm sure it would work out fine.

+ 1!!!

Yes, IMO it depends on the success in rally. But he and we couldn't wait for so good results from him this year. Some nice finishes in the points and maybe 1 podium finish towards the end of the season (maybe on an asphalt rally) would be more than good. Kimi's speed and learning abilities have already impressed the media, the experts and Kaj Lindström too. Kimi himself said that he already improved in writing the pace notes, they are more accurate now. Plus at Citroën they still need to build the car to his liking though. I think to succeed in rally one needs more time, even Kimi.

I brought you something interesting. You are so young, so I assume you do not really know much about Ayrton Senna and his BIG fights with Alain Prost.

Here's a Finnish person's, Antti's tribute video about Ayrton Senna. It's a 44 minutes long video and it's wonderful. Like him or not, you cannot deny his absolute talent and charisma. I haven't been a Senna fan mostly because he was the biggest oponent to my favourite back then, Alain Prost. But I've never ever doubted his talent and speed. Honestly, I cried when he died and cried after I watched this video too.
icon2_sad.gif
OMG!!! Brought back some nice, good, bad, bittersweet memories...
cray.gif

I highly recommend to download and watch this video, because of the editing, because of the music, because of the comments, because you get to see the real fighting back then, overtaking, crashing, going absolutely flat-out, etc. For me who got to see this amazing man racing on the track back then, it's a nice memory... and for those of you who didn't have the chance to do so, it's good to experience Ayrton Senna's fantastic racing abilities and unique personality at least through this film.

http://www.filefront.com/15810629/Ayrton-Senna.avi/

+ 1!!!

Yes, IMO it depends on the success in rally. But he and we couldn't wait for so good results from him this year. Some nice finishes in the points and maybe 1 podium finish towards the end of the season (maybe on an asphalt rally) would be more than good. Kimi's speed and learning abilities have already impressed the media, the experts and Kaj Lindström too. Kimi himself said that he already improved in writing the pace notes, they are more accurate now. Plus at Citroën they still need to build the car to his liking though. I think to succeed in rally one needs more time, even Kimi.

I brought you something interesting. You are so young, so I assume you do not really know much about Ayrton Senna and his BIG fights with Alain Prost.

Here's a Finnish person's, Antti's tribute video about Ayrton Senna. It's a 44 minutes long video and it's wonderful. Like him or not, you cannot deny his absolute talent and charisma. I haven't been a Senna fan mostly because he was the biggest oponent to my favourite back then, Alain Prost. But I've never ever doubted his talent and speed. Honestly, I cried when he died and cried after I watched this video too.
icon2_sad.gif
OMG!!! Brought back some nice, good, bad, bittersweet memories...
cray.gif

I highly recommend to download and watch this video, because of the editing, because of the music, because of the comments, because you get to see the real fighting back then, overtaking, crashing, going absolutely flat-out, etc. For me who got to see this amazing man racing on the track back then, it's a nice memory... and for those of you who didn't have the chance to do so, it's good to experience Ayrton Senna's fantastic racing abilities and unique personality at least through this film.

http://www.filefront.com/15810629/Ayrton-Senna.avi/

Wow, so many Raikkonen fans up in here, that's nice. Maybe you will get your wish next year, i really hope so :)

Kinga, köszönöm szépen for that video, will watch it later tonight. I know about the rivalry, but i never got to watch Senna live, matter of fact i never got to see Schumi run - now that i think of it maybe i can put together two of my passions - your most wonderful city of Budapest (i left part of my heart there a few springs ago) and F1; when is the race on Hungaroring this year? Today seems to be such a strange day, i'm comin' up with all kinda travel plans, remains to be seen how many i'll actually go thru with lol.

Coming back to what you were saying, Senna was indeed an amazing driver and an amazing human being. Isn't his nephew in F1 now? It is impressive to see that name involved in the sport once more.

Wow, so many Raikkonen fans up in here, that's nice. Maybe you will get your wish next year, i really hope so :)

Thank you, it's nice of you. Actually, I'm one of the biggest Kimi fans, if I may say so. :wink: I was a regular visitor here in this thread, I opened it back then but now that Kimi's not in F1 anymore... it's hard for me. I've been a F1 fan since (around) 1988. I quit watching it after Prost's retirement, I quit watching it after Häkkinen's retirement and it seems this is the case this time. Everytime one of my favs retired I was so sad that I couldn't watch it again. There were some pauses every time, 1-2 years or so. :) But, I want to see it again, maybe already in 2011, it has been the part of my life for years. :) I guess I'm too naive thinking Kimi might come back to F1 and do "a Prost". Prost was racing for Ferrari, he openly critisized the team and he was fired prior to the end of the 1991 season, before the Australian GP. At Ferrari they didn't let him go to an other team so he had to take a sabbatical and after one year he came back and won his 4th world championship title. :)
^^^a "little bit" similar to Kimi's story, no?

Now it's a little bit easier maybe because Kimi is competing in the WRC and I can follow him there.

Kinga, köszönöm szépen for that video, will watch it later tonight. I know about the rivalry, but i never got to watch Senna live, matter of fact i never got to see Schumi run - now that i think of it maybe i can put together two of my passions - your most wonderful city of Budapest (i left part of my heart there a few springs ago) and F1; when is the race on Hungaroring this year?

"Szívesen" for the video. :) Do you know some Hungarian words? Yes, you are right, Budapest is wonderful. Hungarian GP is on 01, August this year. I won't be going this time. I was there last year (on Thursday and on Friday) and I was in Monza, Italy last year to see Kimi. :)

Isn't his nephew in F1 now? It is impressive to see that name involved in the sport once more.

Yes, Bruno Senna is his name and is racing for Hispania Racing. He is very much like his uncle, especially in a helmet. Watch these pics:

Ayrton Senna
senna_1994_wf1media.jpg

Bruno Senna
Bruno-Senna-712342.jpg

What do you think?

Last edited:
Yep they could easily be mistaken by those helmets :D

Isn't Hispania Racing the team that was built in very little time, a few months or so? One could ask was it really worth it when they're probably going to be last in every race. They could've invest well in next season instead..

Thank you, it's nice of you. Actually, I'm one of the biggest Kimi fans, if I may say so. :wink: I was a regular visitor here in this thread, I opened it back then but now that Kimi's not in F1 anymore... it's hard for me. I've been a F1 fan since (around) 1988. I quit watching it after Prost's retirement, I quit watching it after Häkkinen's retirement and it seems this is the case this time. Everytime one of my favs retired I was so sad that I couldn't watch it again. There were some pauses every time, 1-2 years or so. :) But, I want to see it again, maybe already in 2011, it has been the part of my life for years. :) I guess I'm too naive thinking Kimi might come back to F1 and do "a Prost". Prost was racing for Ferrari, he openly critisized the team and he was fired prior to the end of the 1991 season, before the Australian GP. At Ferrari they didn't let him go to an other team so he had to take a sabbatical and after one year he came back and won his 4th world championship title. :)
^^^a "little bit" similar to Kimi's story, no?

Now it's a little bit easier maybe because Kimi is competing in the WRC and I can follow him there.

I know where you're coming from. As i said last week, when Schumi retired, the sport ceased to exist for me; now, suddenly, it has been 'resurrected', if i may use this word without being sacrilegious.

"Szívesen" for the video. :) Do you know some Hungarian words? Yes, you are right, Budapest is wonderful. Hungarian GP is on 01, August this year. I won't be going this time. I was there last year (on Thursday and on Friday) and I was in Monza, Italy last year to see Kimi. :)

Hungarian words? How about sziasztok, nagy burgonya (big fries as i ordered at Mac and KFC lol) and szemle (the type of bread i used to buy) oh and...kilenc (nine) which i've always loved as pronunciation, looool again. I've always loved that lil speech in the subway about taking care where we step and stuff, i never could remember it though. Anyways, that is as 'great' as it gets when it comes to the extend of my Hungarian vocabulary :p Great people, great country and wonderful city. I miss Budapest more than i can express, i last visited it last July. I would post a couple of pics, but it would be o/t. Maybe this race will give me the alibi to go back, we'll see.

Yes, Bruno Senna is his name and is racing for Hispania Racing. He is very much like his uncle, especially in a helmet. Watch these pics -what do you think?

As The One also pointed out, the resemblance is stricking. Btw of Ayrton Senna, i gotta admit with total and utter shame that i didn't get the chance to see the video you posted as i had promised. In between taking down Christmas trees and other things, i couldn't find the time. The problem is that i shouldn't have promised; me and deadlines are in a bit of a war actually lol. Even in school and at work i got problems with them; thankfully, i am surrounded by very kind and understanding people who put up with my shameless, lazy self although they know better. So now, i won't promise no more to watch the vid, i'll just do it when time allows and get back to ya, how bout that? :D

This is a bit old news but..

Schumacher voted most popular F1 driver

20 March 2010 by Keith Collantine
It may not surprise many people to learn that Michael Schumacher is the most popular driver in F1.
But his margin of victory shows just why his return to F1 this year is huge news. In last month’s FOTA/LG/F1 Racing survey he garnered more than twice as many votes as the next most popular driver, Fernando Alonso, with 19.5% to 9.7%.
In third place was a driver who isn’t even racing in F1 any more – Kimi Räikkönen.
Over 90,000 fans responded to the survey earlier this year. Of course what we really want to find out is what they had to say about F1 and how they responded to questions such as whether F1 races should be shortened. Expect those results soon.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/03/20/schumacher-voted-most-popular-f1-driver/

So nice to see Kimi on 3rd place :)

^^^Yeah, Hanna it's quite cool, considering that Kimi's not in F1 (now). Though I think that survey was from last year. He still could've been at the 2nd place IMO.

Hungarian words? How about sziasztok, nagy burgonya (big fries as i ordered at Mac and KFC lol) and szemle (the type of bread i used to buy) oh and...kilenc (nine) which i've always loved as pronunciation, looool again. I've always loved that lil speech in the subway about taking care where we step and stuff, i never could remember it though.

awww that's great! :) Btw "szemle" is review, the kind of bread you're talking about is zsemle. :) How long have you been here? You can send some pics in PM, I'm really curious! :)

Btw of Ayrton Senna, i gotta admit with total and utter shame that i didn't get the chance to see the video you posted as i had promised.

No problem, no need to say sorry. You watch it when you have time or when you want it. No pressure there. :)

^^^Yeah, Hanna it's quite cool, considering that Kimi's not in F1 (now). Though I think that survey was from last year. He still could've been at the 2nd place IMO.

awww that's great! :) Btw "szemle" is review, the kind of bread you're talking about is zsemle. :) How long have you been here? You can send some pics in PM, I'm really curious! :)

No problem, no need to say sorry. You watch it when you have time or when you want it. No pressure there. :)

Oooopsie, ooops, me bad there with the spelling :p are the words pronounced the same? I would imagine so.

To answer your q - i was there for an amazing, but emotionally draining year - the second part included Michael's trial and Pope John Paul II's passing, both of whom were and still are true pillars in my life. But since i never want to leave the last word to sadness (not that there is something truly sad about a saint and a hero), i'll go back to something lighter now.

Schumi the most popular, eh? How surprising...NOT :cheeky: Congrats to you guys for Kimi's placement :clapping:

And Kinga, thx for understanding about the vid thingie :)

Oooopsie, ooops, me bad there with the spelling :p are the words pronounced the same? I would imagine so.

I don't think I could explain it, here's a site where you can check it out:
http://www.phantomranch.net/folkdanc/alphabet/hungarian.htm

:)

To answer your q - i was there for an amazing, but emotionally draining year - the second part included Michael's trial and Pope John Paul II's passing, both of whom were and still are true pillars in my life.

Wow :)

Vettel is great!!! :wild: :clapping: Our commentators said he was the first to pass 1.24 ever at Albert Park but they weren't sure if that's correct? Amazing lap from him anyway.

Good job for Rosberg also winning Schumi :D

Virgin allowed to fit larger fuel tank

The FIA has given Virgin permission to increase the size of their fuel tank on reliability grounds after the new team discovered it may not be big enough to get them to the end of the race at some events.

"It has become clear during pre-season testing and our debut race in Bahrain that our fuel tank capacity is marginal and if not addressed there is the possibility that fuel pick-up could become an issue in certain circumstances,” explained Virgin technical director Nick Wirth.

With teams having to homologate their chassis this season, the tank changes constitute a major modification to the VR01 and Virgin do not expect to be able to introduce a revised car until the early part of the European season, which starts in May with the Spanish Grand Prix.

"We thank the FIA for permitting this change,” continued Wirth. “At the time the design of the tank was locked down in June 2009, its capacity was determined by a number of factors, some of which have since changed, and the tank capacity now needs to be increased accordingly.”

The small tank means Virgin could face problems at this weekend’s Australian Grand Prix - where fuel consumption is particularly heavy - and may be forced to wind down engine performance in order to complete the race.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/3/10571.html

:doh: How can that be possible lol.

Last edited:
Vettel is great!!! :wild: :clapping: Our commentators said he was the first to pass 1.24 ever at Albert Park but they weren't sure if that's correct? Amazing lap from him anyway.

Yeah, I'm happy because of that too. But, for God's sake, he needs to finish the race on top! Don't let Alonso to win it! Noooo way!!!:doh: Please, let that Red Bull be reliable!!!!:clapping:

Back