Great drummers / songs with great drum parts

@zinniabooklover

Alright here we go. I listenend to the song above and money changes everything, I have no affinity with these songs because I simply never heard of them.

But as both clips moved on I started getting into it which is no doubt thanks to her kind of happy go lucky style of performing. As it went on I just had to smile, the songs got catchier, she is sparkling and approachable, having a lot of fun with a bit of punk sprinkling through.
I’m wondering if she got played out vs Madonna in the 80s. She is the opposite, madonna’s shows are choreographed and rehearsed, Lauper seems chaotic and it looks like she gives no shit. Madonna was the material girl while Cyndi floats above the audience in a trash can. I don’t know but these opposites it must have turned people into 2 camps, a madonna camp and a cyndi lauper camp. A bit like Prince and MJ.
Also I think she is sexy, Madonna is as well but I prefer the “we’ll see what sticks” approach by Lauper more. Good legs, good legs 😜

I have seen enough and I will continue with watching the whole show you recommended some day later in the week.

@zinniabooklover

Alright here we go. I listenend to the song above and money changes everything, I have no affinity with these songs because I simply never heard of them.
Which is the best way. No preconceptions, just your own unvarnished honest reaction.

But as both clips moved on I started getting into it which is no doubt thanks to her kind of happy go lucky style of performing. As it went on I just had to smile, the songs got catchier, she is sparkling and approachable, having a lot of fun with a bit of punk sprinkling through.
You just summed her up perfectly. And, yeah, definitely feel-good music. She has some emotional stuff for sure and her lyrics are very clever but mostly it's upbeat stuff.

I’m wondering if she got played out vs Madonna in the 80s.
She did. Really annoying. Even to the extent where people decided she was copying Madonna's style.

ffs! Cyndi never needed to copy anyone. SO annoying!

She is the opposite, madonna’s shows are choreographed and rehearsed, Lauper seems chaotic and it looks like she gives no shit.
She doesn't give a shit. She always looked like she'd been dragged through a hedge backwards and was all the more interesting for it. She was cool, she was punk, she was chaos, she was just wild enough. She was awesome.

Madonna was the material girl while Cyndi floats above the audience in a trash can. I don’t know but these opposites it must have turned people into 2 camps, a madonna camp and a cyndi lauper camp. A bit like Prince and MJ.
Yep. Media driven, as you can imagine.

Also I think she is sexy,
SHE IS!! Her clothes, her style, her dancing, her hair, her physicality, everything. She is definitely hot.

Madonna is as well
Well, OK. If you say so, lol.

but I prefer the “we’ll see what sticks” approach by Lauper more. Good legs, good legs 😜
Yeah, she got lots of praise for her legs, man. You better believe it.

I have seen enough and I will continue with watching the whole show you recommended some day later in the week.
Fab!

R.I.P. Burt Bacharach

Dusty Springfield / I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself - 1965. Introduced by Burt Bacharach who wrote the song (lyrics by Hal David).

3m 25s

oh gosh this ! - why a,m i not getting any notifications 😆 this was tues! ah.
That's weird. I tagged you a couple of times on the 'Michael's accent' thread - re-posted an f&m audio clip re Michael as ASMR just in case you hadn't heard it. Although it's been around a while so you probably have. Better mention it, though, in case they don't show up!

Really weird that the tags are showing up so slowly. :(

That's weird. I tagged you a couple of times on the 'Michael's accent' thread - re-posted an f&m audio clip re Michael as ASMR just in case you hadn't heard it. Although it's been around a while so you probably have. Better mention it, though, in case they don't show up!

Really weird that the tags are showing up so slowly. :(
No i'm just checking n seeing that now love 😆 i am seeing the ...🤔right okay , so i am seeing the number near the bell - alot of reactions in general, so that works still zin yes - but no actual taggy thing if that makes sense haha .no , the at doesn't come up ......at present , so i have to double back on the threads - so i get quite confused lol I will say i have noticed quite a rapid growth in new board members so it might just be that. I think it will be temporary zin so we wont worry yet. i shall assume it will settle down. You are SO thoughtful, it is appreciated thank you for these ! yeah i'm just listening to the ASMR Michael vid right now. i haven't seen that , or cant recall - but the other one yes i know that interview, i love that one. that makes me emotional.
edit - oh gosh @zinniabooklover i mean - it would help if i actually tagged oh my days lol

see the reaction is fine , thats quick but people actual metions etc no it isnt , it will cause i have faith

X-Ray Spex / Art-I-Ficial

"I wanna be Instamatic
I wanna be a frozen pea
I wanna be dehydrated
In a consumer society"

(lyrics by Poly Styrene, 1978)

Edit- i love that outfit ! and the bangles are out of this world. ohh shes giving Rockpop what for isn't she ? her freedom of art expression , love that
. haha kurt was NOT the first to take a stand on this! - electric she is, thanks zin
@wendijane

Got it wrong, wendi. The outdoor performance was It's A Mystery. The one where the camera can hardly keep her in shot is this one.

Toyah / We Are

3m 10s

Last edited:
@wendijane

Got it wrong, wendi. The outdoor performance was It's A Mystery. The one where the camera can hardly keep her in shot is this one.

Toyah / We Are

3m 10s

No its fine , right ...ah I remember It's a mystery very well , I liked Cindi too..kinda- but Toyah had edge! even her name was different back then. Way that would zig zag over the cover/ telly ...and her album cover art direction ..the titles , and the tracks ....i don't know if she took control of that aspect in her album cover art , but way she marketed herself ,her brand - HER HAIR! She was someone to be feared in some ways. She inspired by bowie !!? Her songs are like lightening bolts to me. 🫣 :ROFLMAO: Her emotional depth is very strong ,:love:🥰 very strong ...that's what we like , thats what makes em. Do you remember marylin ? he was pop though..

Look at her intricate outfit detailing on the sleeves , i like that and that a boiler suit isn't it? shes like a dark ....that looks like a jester suit right but she makes it rock. She bloody stands out against her peers i know that much! Blondie ....much as i love her haha she didnt stand a chance agasint Ms Wilcox.

Last edited:
No its fine , right ...ah I remember It's a mystery very well , I liked Cindi too..kinda- but Toyah had edge! even her name was different back then. Way that would zig zag over the cover/ telly ...and her album cover art direction ..the titles , and the tracks ....i don't know if she took control of that aspect in her album cover art , but way she marketed herself ,her brand - HER HAIR! She was someone to be feared in some ways. She inspired by bowie !!? Her songs are like lightening bolts to me. 🫣 :ROFLMAO: Her emotional depth is very strong ,:love:🥰 very strong ...that's what we like , thats what makes em. Do you remember marylin ? he was pop though..

Look at her intricate outfit detailing on the sleeves , i like that and that a boiler suit isn't it? shes like a dark ....that looks like a jester suit right but she makes it rock. She bloody stands out against her peers i know that much! Blondie ....much as i love her haha she didnt stand a chance agasint Ms Wilcox.
I'll post the It's A Mystery clip just in case you haven't seen it. I never liked the song - and Toyah herself hated it, lol - but the performance is good (she's miming, obvs, but that's fine) and her outfit is fab. I think you'll like her jewellery. Bangles. Statement necklace. She could give Lisa Marie a run for her money in the necklace stakes, lol. Let me go and find it.

I'll post the It's A Mystery clip just in case you haven't seen it. I never liked the song - and Toyah herself hated it, lol - but the performance is good (she's miming, obvs, but that's fine) and her outfit is fab. I think you'll like her jewellery. Bangles. Statement necklace. She could give Lisa Marie a run for her money in the necklace stakes, lol. Let me go and find it.
oh god im so excited . OOOh yeah those...what, id say bronze type thick bangles, i love those. oooh im excited haha

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas / Dancing in the Street 1964

"Representing one of Motown’s most iconic compositions, Gaye co-wrote ‘Dancing in the Street’ with two of Motown’s other in-house songwriters, William ‘Mickey’ Stevenson and Ivy Jo Hunter. Eventually landing in the hands of receptionist Martha Reeves, the song helped popularise Motown in the mainstream.

Despite having recorded his own hit singles by this point, Gaye once again took on a leadership role in the studio during the recording, to the increasing consternation of Gordy. Stepping back behind the kit for the first time in nearly two years, Gaye is one of two drummers who bring the song’s infectious rhythms to life, with the other being percussionist Jack Ashford."

EDIT- @filmandmusic - since Marvin is your guy you probably knew this already. It was news to me.

Last edited:
Back