GYWOOM reactions

@zinniabooklover

Imo you have just proven it is dead, I don't know any of these bands! the only rock bands I still know are old and has beens, the The Rolling Grandpa's have a new album out as well I heard.

I googled: Rock music is dead. This link was the first result and it is from august 2023 so my claim isn't all that far fetched. I of course realize there are still rock bands but it is far from dominating the charts these days.
I think Radiohead was the first rock band to actually "attack" rock when they released Kid A in 2000

Broken Witt Rebels, The Interrupters, Blacktop Mojo ... I'm still not even trying.

@zinniabooklover

Imo you have just proven it is dead, I don't know any of these bands! the only rock bands I still know are old and has beens, the The Rolling Grandpa's have a new album out as well I heard.
OK, so you were meaning Coldplay level bands. I will retire from the convo. Guitar bands did dominate for a long time and yet rock music has never been about being in the mainstream. Not saying rock bands don't want to make it big but it's not the point in the way it is for pop artists.

Rock music is not dead. But the current bands are not household names the way they might have been in the 70's, say. I'm fine with that. :D

Guitar bands still rock!

Broken Witt Rebels, The Interrupters, Blacktop Mojo ... I'm still not even trying.

OK, so you were meaning Coldplay level bands. I will retire from the convo. Guitar bands did dominate for a long time and yet rock music has never been about being in the mainstream. Not saying rock bands don't want to make it big but it's not the point in the way it is for pop artists.

Rock music is not dead. But the current bands are not household names the way they might have been in the 70's, say. I'm fine with that. :D

Guitar bands still rock!

Well I hope it are true rock bands that don't incorporate drum machines and synthesizers into their music because that is not true rock :p

Listening to blacktop mojo now as I find that name intriguing.

EDIT: oh boy that was disappointing. I listened to their top song "dream on" and it is nothing but a cover of a true rock band, very original :poop:

I googled: Rock music is dead. This link was the first result and it is from august 2023 so my claim isn't all that far fetched. I of course realize there are still rock bands but it is far from dominating the charts these days.
I do think it's two different things and I didn't say your claim was far fetched. I was trying to establish the parameters. I agree, no chart domination. Not these days. Hasn't been happening for a long time.

I think Radiohead was the first rock band to actually attack rock when they released Kid A in 2000
Mm, debatable.

Well I hope it are true rock bands that don't incorporate drum machines and synthesizers into their music because that is not true rock :p

The ones I named do real instruments. I'm not keen on synth stuff. It can be brilliant, of course, and a rock band with keyboards can be amazing. But nothing will ever beat real instruments. Not for me. Not slagging off synths. Michael used them, after all, and I love his music. But I need a real rhythm section, every time.

EDIT: oh boy that was disappointing. I listened to their top song "dream on" and it is nothing but a cover of a true rock band, very original :poop:
But the premise wasn't, can I name a rock band that you might like. The premise was, rock music is dead. And I say, no, it isn't.

Haven't listened to this cover version. I'm allergic to cover versions. I do like 'It Won't Last' - an amusingly apt title in the circs, lol.

Maybe rock music is dead, but I enjoy the way people wear it's corpse.

... Shaman's Harvest, Redlight King, Laura Cox, The Black Moods, When Rivers Meet ...

I'm just passing on through. You all keep on talking about GYWOOM. :D

Rock hasn't been mainstream for years now. If you can't like what you like without it being the top of the charts constantly then I don't know what to say. Guns N Roses released a single rather recently and it got quite a bit of attention.

Rolling Stones are releasing a new album, it's getting even more attention.

There's also plenty of rock bands around currently.

Last edited:
Nah it is much better imo to hear real string arrangements and real drumming. It breaths timeless life into the songs, there is a reason many people call these albums dated. I don't think anyone can deny it would sound a ton better than another programmed remix of the songs.
It is all a matter of taste though, I understand.
Bad have real drums and real strings. There are also plenty of programmed synths, but the same is true in regards to Thriller.

The problem with GYWOOM is the problem with most of Invincible - it has no discernable rhythm or "dance' to it. It just seems to trudge along with soulless noises that are meant to constitute music. It's strange to me that songs from Dangerous and HIStory sound far less dated and cheesy than those from Invincible and the Invincible recording takes.

Back