Had "Dirty Diana" been released on the VICTORY album ...

Fuzball

Proud Member
Since DD was written and demoed in 1983 (probably with intention for inclusion on the upcoming Jacksons album), I wonder what would happened to "State of Shock" if DD had been chosen in favor of SOS?

Would SOS been brought back to the table for Bad? If so, btw 1984 and 1987 there would've been fair enough time for MJ & FM to schedule a mutual studio session.

Questions that seek for hypothetically answers. I think it'll be fun to discuss of what could have been.

It would have been impossible for Dirty Diana to be on Victory as the song wasn't recorded until 1986

I can't see Dirty Diana on Victory....I think it would've stuck out like a sore thumb but Liberian Girl would've been a good addition

Songs like "We Are Here To Change The World" "Price Of Fame" "Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin" and "Streetwalker" would have been great on Victory.

a lot of bad songs and outtakes were recorded around that time

Isn't Dirty Diana too dirty to be on Victory :). It suits Bad era so much better! So good that did not happen otherwise as said above it would have been forgotten.

There's quite a few songs I'm glad Mike saved for himself, rather than release with his brothers.

Nothing against his brothers at all, but his ideas deserved more of a platform than they would have got from the brothers. Plus I don't think his brothers were talented enough musicians to convey the depths of his songs, espicially Triumph onwards

It might have been Steve Lukather from Toto, since the members of that band are playing on most if not all of the songs on Victory
Toto members, in fact, play on less than half of the songs.

No Toto:
  • One More Chance
  • Be Not Always
  • State of Shock
  • We Can Change the World
  • Body

It might have been Steve Lukather from Toto, since the members of that band are playing on most if not all of the songs on Victory
Toto members, in fact, play on less than half of the songs.

No Toto:
  • One More Chance
  • Be Not Always
  • State of Shock
  • We Can Change the World
  • Body

Toto was supposed to produce the entire album.....I bet they have some great unreleased songs

at 4:27, Michael mentions Toto co-producing it

Last edited:
At Epic, preparations are already under way for the forthcoming Jacksons album, entitled Victory. Frank Dileo is already raving about the one track he’s heard, “Buffalo Bill,” Michael’s latest uptempo dance composition.

ROLLINGSTONE - MARCH 15, 1984

John Barnes said the song wasn't finished but we know an incomplete song in MJ lingo can sometimes mean fully ready to go.

AI Michael would love to sing the lyrics from Buffalo Bill.
Who Shot Buffalo Bill
Do you know Who done it against his will.
They said he was shot alot.
But was he ever truly killed

Last edited:
Back