Had "Dirty Diana" been released on the VICTORY album ...

At Epic, preparations are already under way for the forthcoming Jacksons album, entitled Victory. Frank Dileo is already raving about the one track he’s heard, “Buffalo Bill,” Michael’s latest uptempo dance composition.

ROLLINGSTONE - MARCH 15, 1984
Wow! I wonder when exactly he said that.

At Epic, preparations are already under way for the forthcoming Jacksons album, entitled Victory. Frank Dileo is already raving about the one track he’s heard, “Buffalo Bill,” Michael’s latest uptempo dance composition.

ROLLINGSTONE - MARCH 15, 1984
What's interesting to me is the fact we haven't heard it yet, almost 40 years on. It's either because it's brilliant and it's being saved, or it's incomplete and still a rough demo.

I would guess it was pulled off Victory because it was too strong for the record, that's an assumption on my part

The fact MJ name dropped it in 1983, saying "I know it's going to be good one" has always been exciting.

Dirty Diana would have been wasted on Victory. The Jacksons aren’t that popular. They are overshadowed massively by Jackson 5. So many great Michael solo songs such as Heartbreak Hotel, Bless His Soul, Time Waits For No One are overlooked because people tend to only care about the early Jackson 5 songs such as I Want You Back or their Christmas album.

That’s a pretty good assumption, I believe. With Be Not Always, it’s obvious Michael didn’t want to steal the spotlight.
This raises the question why Buffalo Bill wasn't released on Bad. Did Q think it wasn't strong enough?

This raises the question why Buffalo Bill wasn't released on Bad. Did Q think it wasn't strong enough?
I'm wondering this too mate. With the Bad album, it sounds like Mike went to Quincy and presented him 30 odd mostly completed demos and they narrowed it down to what they thought was the strongest tracks.

What I'm curious about is how many demo's made it Westlake, but didn't make the album? (besides Streetwalker)

Dirty Diana would have been wasted on Victory. The Jacksons aren’t that popular. They are overshadowed massively by Jackson 5. So many great Michael solo songs such as Heartbreak Hotel, Bless His Soul, Time Waits For No One are overlooked because people tend to only care about the early Jackson 5 songs such as I Want You Back or their Christmas album.
The Jacksons were primarily promoted to R&B radio in the USA and had little crossover. So the mainstream Top 40 listeners are less likely to heard of those songs in the first place. People can't overlook things they aren't aware of. But they're known to R&B listeners and some still get played on R&B oldies today. I hear Good Times on the Quiet Storm program sometimes. When it came out, R&B radio would even play songs from the live album.

The reason certain Jackson 5 songs are still known today, because they are still promoted in some way. I Want You Back has been in a lot of commercials and it's been covered by current popular acts like Pentatonix, but I Am Love hasn't. Christmas songs get played every Christmas season. I never hear Johnny Mathis, Frank Sinatra, or Burl Ives on the radio except at Christmas.

That partly has to do with the record label, which still doesn't do much to promote the group's music. The Jacksons didn't even have a Greatest Hits until 2004. I've seen so-called "one hit wonders" with Greatest Hits/Best Of compilations before The Jacksons had one.

@DuranDuran What other non jacksons or jackson 5 singles get airplay sometimes on r&b stations? Never knew good times was played on some stations.

Still funny to think about 'Dirty Diana' being so old, it makes me connect it more with 'Billie Jean' I guess

I'm wondering this too mate. With the Bad album, it sounds like Mike went to Quincy and presented him 30 odd mostly completed demos and they narrowed it down to what they thought was the strongest tracks.

What I'm curious about is how many demo's made it Westlake, but didn't make the album? (besides Streetwalker)
Since Michaels passing several of MJs "B-team" collaborators have been interviewed by fans - yet seemingly nobody has asked them these questions.

It may have been a hit in 1983, but 1987 is a different story. In the moment at least. Now I'm salivating for it. Give it to me NOW, please.

It may have been a hit in 1983, but 1987 is a different story. In the moment at least. Now I'm salivating for it. Give it to me NOW, please.
Was thinking that, but there's a bunch of other demos from 1983 that became hits on the BAD album.

I'm guessing it just turned out to be weaker than what made the album.

Another thing about Buffalo Bill, Michael did a photo shoot in 1984 in Colorado, which is where William Cody (Buffalo Bill) is buried.

It's just really odd why this was never released on Victory.

I wish somebody would ask the brothers. They would know. It's also possible they provided vocals on the track as well.

Was thinking that, but there's a bunch of other demos from 1983 that became hits on the BAD album.

I'm guessing it just turned out to be weaker than what made the album.
Yeah, but they're pretty unique. Smooth Criminal is probably way better than Buffalo Bill and very similar.

Back