Has "Hot Fever / TWYMMF" evolved from this song?

Fuzball

Proud Member
"Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears For Fears was released in February 1985 on the groups second album "Songs from the Big Chair".

Did MJ took this song as an "inspiration" for his instrumental demo "Hot Fever"?? What ya think?

I don't hear any resemblance between this song and Hot Fever.
I struggle to imagine how Hot Fever supposedly became TWYMMF, to be honest.

I do hear a similarity in the shuffling rhythm of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" and TWYMMF, but that's all.

I talked to someone who has. Acording to him it's just an instrumental recording w/o any vocals - baiscly an instrumental demo of twymmf we all know.

Okay i see! But that's just the instrumental version right? There must be a demo with vocals for sure

Okay i see! But that's just the instrumental version right? There must be a demo with vocals for sure

I assume the instrumental demo's named twymmf after MJ wrote lyrics to it sometime in early 1986.

MJ used to give random (in some cases even strange, lol) names to his instrumental demos - like pee for bad, song groove for abortion papers, florida groove for streetwalker etc.

Last edited:
I assume the instrumental demo name twymmf after MJ wrote lyrics to it sometime in early 1986.

MJ used to give random (in some cases even strange, lol) names to his instrumental demos - like pee for bad, song groove for abortion papers, florida groove for streetwalker etc.

Lol Florida groove for streetwalker is hilarious. But yeah I think you're right

Fuzball;4287470 said:
"Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears For Fears was released in February 1985 on the groups second album "Songs from the Big Chair".

Did MJ took this song as an "inspiration" for his instrumental demo "Hot Fever"?? What ya think?

What you recognize, is the shuffle beat. But that is a very common thing in music – it's not unique to Everybody Wants to Rule the World. Here an explanation about shuffle beats:

[video=youtube;fh9d3gpT-8I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh9d3gpT-8I[/video]

Now you could argue the instrumentation (drums, bass) in TWYMMF and Everybody Wants to Rule the World sounds alike – but that's all it is!

Not sure I hear it.. I do think Hall & Oates "I can't go for that" has a semblance to Billie Jean. But I think MJ even admitted there was some inspiration there.

Piek;4287553 said:
What you recognize, is the shuffle beat. But that is a very common thing in music – it's not unique to Everybody Wants to Rule the World. Here an explanation about shuffle beats:

[video=youtube;fh9d3gpT-8I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh9d3gpT-8I[/video]

Now you could argue the instrumentation (drums, bass) in TWYMMF and Everybody Wants to Rule the World sounds alike – but that's all it is!

You're right. Thing is, did MJ knew about that? He hadn't a musical education, though.

Back