Have you listened to MJ's whole discography?

Spaceship

Proud Member
Including the Steeltown, Motown, Jackson 5 and Jacksons stuff?

Honestly, I've hardly bothered with anything before the Jacksons' Destiny album beyond the big hits. The music MJ and the Jackson 5 released with Motown is too bubblegum for my tastes, although I like some of the later songs like "Dancing Machine", "Get It Together" and "Dancing Machine". Their music got better when they left Motown and renamed themselves the Jacksons, but it took me quite a while to delve deeply into their albums under that name, too, save for maybe Triumph (although it did take some time for me to listen to that album in full. I first became an MJ fan in 2007 and I didn't listen to that album from start to finish until 2014).

I knew and liked a few songs such as "Enjoy Yourself", "Show You the Way to Go", "Blues Away", "Blame It On the Boogie" and "Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)" but pre-Off the Wall MJ didn't really interest me. I still haven't listened to the self-titled Jacksons album or Goin' Places in full as of typing this; they seemed like generic disco albums and I assumed the same of Destiny, which is why I didn't listen to that album in full until about 3 years ago. In regards to Goin' Places, I kinda assumed that was a bad album because of how badly it flopped commercially and I didn't listen to any songs from it until just a few years ago. Didn't care much for the title track or "Find Me a Girl", but I listened to "Do What You Wanna" and "Different Kind of Lady" just last year and I really liked them. Especially "Differnet Kind of Lady"; one of the most underrated songs MJ ever wrote and sang.

Last edited:
I've listened to all the solo stuff including stuff like Looking Back To Yesterday and Make Tonight All Mine, but not much J5 stuff

I have heard every official song released on a MJ album.

But it is very rare I hear songs from before OTW I must admit.

I do like many of the early songs. Both MJ solo and J5 and The Jacksons. - But 1979 and everything made/released after is what I hear the most.

I dont listen to anything before the Off The Wall album....only MJ solo albums after that.

I love to listen to the Destiny and Triumph albums from time to time. And I occasionally listen to Motown albums. And I really like that.

I love the Jackson’s albums, but I have to admit I’m not much familiar with anything before that. I may look into it more though.

I have listen to all the songs released on Michael's solo stuff and I know a handful of J5 and The Jacksons I also listen unreleased songs for Mike's solo stuff. Also I few unreleased for J5/TJ

I guess my answer is no. I don't think I've ever sat down and listed to Going Places or Moving Violation...

When I saw Thriller Live, I was sad to hear the people next to me say "I've never heard this one" when they did Music And Me🙁

Very strange that people clamour for new CDs with unreleased stuff, when there's like 10 official albums they've never heard. Wtf.

MJs career did NOT start with OTW!

I'll admit I haven't listened to all of the J5/Jacksons stuff. Don't think I've heard all of his solo stuff from when he was a kid, either (or maybe I have and forgot?). Will have to do that very soon, I think.

yes, cause his discography is the most amazing
even Steeltown sounds great

Invincible made me buy everything since Steeltown
his vocal abilities were always outstanding
The Motown version of this is one my fave J5 songs, super catchy

Decided to listen to his whole discography from beginning to end last night, starting with the Steeltown stuff for the Jackson 5. Just finished all the Motown stuff as of writing this. It started off as boring as I expected; the Steeltown and early Motown stuff are cute, but they're too bubblegum for my tastes. I enjoyed the disco and funk music on Get It Together, Dancing Machine and Moving Violation, but they were still rather forgettable albums. MJ's solo Motown stuff never grabs my attention. The Motown soul is pretty dated by Forever, Michael and he never really branches out to disco or funk, so his music remains bland. Looking forward to listening to the two albums the Jacksons made on Philadelphia International in full tomorrow. And of course, I'll relisten to Destiny, Triumph and all of MJ's adult solo albums.

Interesting how MJ's voice gradually transitions from a boy soprano to a tenor starting in 1971. You can hear it on Got to Be There, Looking Through the Windows and Ben if you listen carefully. It's more noticeable on Skywriter and Music & Me; by Get It Together, he's almost a full-fledged tenor. The transition is pretty much complete by Dancing Machine.

Last edited:
@Spaceship imo that bubbegum pop stuff doesn’t get started until the third album. The first 2 are full of of old school adult soul music. For example “don’t know why I love you” gets a rendition that is as passionate as any of his adult solo songs vocally.

I've listened to every single song ever released (or leaked), beginning with the first Steeltown songs.
As a Michael Jackson fan I find it important to know everything, but I have to admit that I don't need to listen twice to some of the earlier stuff.
Michael gets more interesting as soon as he started to make his own decisions and that is around 1978. I still love some of the Motown tracks.

If you want to know every single song you have to liste to these albums:

The Jackson 5 Studio Albums:
01. Diana Ross Presents The Jackson 5
02. ABC
03. Third Album
04. Maybe Tomorrow
05. Lookin' Through The Windows
06. Skywriter
07. Get It Together
08. Dancing Machine
09. Moving Violation

The Jackson 5 Compilations:
01. Steeltown
02. Joyful Jukebox Music
03. Boogie
04. Come and Get It: The Rare Pearls
05. I Want You Back! Unreleased Masters
06. Soulsation! (only Disc 4)
07. Anthology (for "Sugar Daddy", "I'm So Happy", "Sing a Simple Song", "Love Song")
08. The Ultimate Christmas Collection

The Jackson 5 Live Albums:
01. The Jackson 5 In Japan!
02. Live At The Forum
03. Remember One Day (completely new live album only on Spotify as it seems)

Michael Jackson Motown Studio Albums:
01. Got To Be There
02. Ben
03. Music And Me
04. Forever, Michael

Michael Jackson Motown Compilations:
01. Looking Back To Yesterday
02. Farewell My Summer Love
03. Hello World (for "Twenty-Five Miles")

The Jacksons Studio Albums:

01. The Jacksons
02. Goin' Places
03. Destiny
04. Triumph
05. Victory
06. 2300 Jackson Street

The Jacksons Live Albums:
01. The Jacksons Live

@djlukesw

Wow thanks, very informative post.
The new live album seems to be taken from the live in Mexico concert in 1975 according to the setlist. I hope it is from a different date though so we can have new vocals. Listening to it later!

Make Tonight All Mine, but not much J5 stuff
Make Tonight All Mine was initially released as a Jackson 5 title on Joyful Jukebox Music.
03. Remember One Day (completely new live album only on Spotify as it seems)

The new live album seems to be taken from the live in Mexico concert in 1975 according to the setlist.

It is also available on Qobuz. But bootleg records from the Mexico show already existed and according to the quality of the samples on Qobuz, it's probable nothing than a bootleg someone digitised and uploaded to make some money.

07. Anthology (for "Sugar Daddy", "I'm So Happy", "Sing a Simple Song", "Love Song")
What version of anthology has I'm So Happy, Love Song and Sing a Simple Song ?

If you want to know every single song you have to listen to these albums:
There are more but that is a good start.

What version of anthology has I'm So Happy, Love Song and Sing a Simple Song ?
The 2000's version which is the same as "The Jackson 5 Gold" (2005), containing 36 songs.

There are more but that is a good start.
What else could there be? The Surprise Song by The Jacksons comes into my mind, but you can only find it on YT.
"What's So Good About Good Bye" is a Jackson 5 song you can only find on "Motown Unreleased 1969", I forgot that one.
There are some songs without Michael's involvement (e.g. 2300 Jackson Street sessions) and Michael did backing vocals on a few songs for Stevie Wonder back at Motown. I don't count remixes or A Cappella versions etc. I believe that's it, but I would love to get information on more.

It is also available on Qobuz. But bootleg records from the Mexico show already existed and according to the quality of the samples on Qobuz, it's probable nothing than a bootleg someone digitised and uploaded to make some money.
Crazy how stuff like that and literally every J5 compilation can be found on streaming platforms, but not TUC from 2004 or the various KOP editions from 2008.

Back