Have you listened to MJ's whole discography?

What else could there be? The Surprise Song by The Jacksons comes into my mind, but you can only find it on YT.
"What's So Good About Good Bye" is a Jackson 5 song you can only find on "Motown Unreleased 1969", I forgot that one.
There are some songs without Michael's involvement (e.g. 2300 Jackson Street sessions) and Michael did backing vocals on a few songs for Stevie Wonder back at Motown. I don't count remixes or A Cappella versions etc. I believe that's it, but I would love to get information on more.

Those and:
- You've really got a hold on me (J5 version) - "On Motown sings Motown treasures" (1998)
- You've really got a hold on me (Bobby Taylor featuring the Jackson 5) - Also on "Motown Unreleased 1969" (1998) (but I'm not even sure if I hear MJ in this.)
- J5/Michael did backing on some Jermaine songs songs
- J5/Michael did backing on some Jackie solo songs (not 100% sure, should check)
- What's Your Game (song written by "the Jackson 5")

I was also thinking of things like
- Greatest hits (quadraphonic mix) (different from album version, some have slightly different lyrics)
- Hum Along and Dance (uncut)
- The Disc-o-Tech instrumentals
- Ask the Lonely (alternative version)
- The 1987 remixes, distinct from 25 Miles original version
- Farewell My Summer Love 1973 distinct from 1984 version
- various versions of the Steeltown tracks (I gave details earlier today in thread: https://www.mjjcommunity.com/threads/are-there-several-versions-of-the-steeltown-records.137409/ )
But maybe you don't want to count such alternative versions

Then I was thinking of unreleased, leaks and T.V. only stuff that you probably don't want to count.

(I may forget things.)

The 2000's version which is the same as "The Jackson 5 Gold" (2005), containing 36 songs.

What else could there be? The Surprise Song by The Jacksons comes into my mind, but you can only find it on YT.
"What's So Good About Good Bye" is a Jackson 5 song you can only find on "Motown Unreleased 1969", I forgot that one.
There are some songs without Michael's involvement (e.g. 2300 Jackson Street sessions) and Michael did backing vocals on a few songs for Stevie Wonder back at Motown. I don't count remixes or A Cappella versions etc. I believe that's it, but I would love to get information on more.

Crazy how stuff like that and literally every J5 compilation can be found on streaming platforms, but not TUC from 2004 or the various KOP editions from 2008.
You would have to get Paul’s Pipes of Peace and Stevie’s Characters, too. Those are the most important as far as duets go, I think. 3T’s Brotherhood also deserves mention, as do U.S.A. for Africa. But of course, there are many more if you want them all.

Edit: Grammar error correction.

Last edited:
You would have to get Paul’s Pipes of Peace and Stevie’s Characters, too. Those are the most important as far as duets goes, I think. 3T’s Brotherhood also deserves mention, as do U.S.A. for Africa. But of course, there are many more if you want them all.
A few years ago, Paul released deluxe versions of his solo & Wings albums. That one has a version of Say Say Say with different vocals. The alternate version was also released as a 12" maxi single. On a related note, on Eddie Murphy's album Love's Alright, there's a song called Yeah that has Mike, Paul, & Stevie (Janet too) along with a bunch of other artists. There's a few songs on The Wiz soundtrack too, but the version of Brand New Day on the soundtrack is slightly different from the one in the movie. The movie has a little bit more Mike vocals. Some other songs with noticeable vocals:

When We Grow Up (Roberta Flack)
Who's Right Who's Wrong (Kenny Loggins)
Save Me (Dave Mason)
Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin' (Jermaine Jackson)
Somebody's Watching Me (Rockwell)

Not something you can buy, but there's old Jackson 5 jingles for cereal & soda (Dr. Pepper, not Pepsi) commercials. Same for songs performed on TV shows (like The Jacksons variety show) that they never released on record. Or ones they did but sang with other artists on TV like Cher.

Other noteable releases include
Eaten Alive (Diana Ross) – the title track from the album, co-written by Barry Gibb & Michael and prominently featuring Michael’s vocals
This Had To Be (Brothers Johnson) – written by Michael
Just Friends (Carole Bayer Sager) – her 1978 album “…Too” also include the first released version of It’s the Falling in Love, wherefore Michael’s rendition strictly speaking is a cover. (The same is true in regards to Girlfriend, of couse, which was first released by Wings on “London Town” in 1978).

Just finished listening to the two Philadelphia albums. They're certainly than better than any of the Motown albums, but they're pretty generic disco and Philly sound albums for the most part. Philly soul was dying out by the time the Jacksons worked with Gamble & Huff, so it's no wonder that these two albums didn't make much headway. "Different Kind of Lady" is definitely a classic, though; I'm sure it would have saved Goin' Places from flopping if it were a single. Also, anyone else think "Heaven Knows I Love You, Girl" sounds a bit like Elton John's "Can You Feel the Love Tonight"? Lol, anyway, now I'm gonna relisten to Destiny, Off the Wall, Triumph, Thriller, the MJ tracks on Victory ("State of Shock, "Torture" and "Be Not Always"), Bad, the song "2300 Jackson Street", Dangerous, History, the original songs on Blood on the Dance Floor (the title track, "Morphine", "Superfly Sister", "Ghosts" and "Is It Scary") and Invincible.

Gotta say, Destiny was the first decent album MJ worked on; everything else that came before just ranged from mediocre to passable. Then, he knocked it out of the park with Off the Wall and made one of the greatest albums of all time. From that point on, MJ's solo career finally outshone his family group. Before, his solo career was just a side project to accompany his group, but starting with Off the Wall, his solo career was the centerpiece and the group was on the side. As such, he clearly didn't give his all on Triumph, which is why it's inferior to Off the Wall and arguably Destiny. After Goin' Places flopped, he made sure to give his all on Destiny, but after finally achieving great solo success on Off the Wall, he clearly just did Triumph to pass the time until he got enough inspiration for his next album, which was Thriller. "This Place Hotel" is the only genuine standout on Triumph, although I'll generously give kudos on "Lovely One" and "Can You Feel It". The rest of the album is rather forgettable. I don't even remember what "Time Waits For No One" sounded like.

Last edited:
I thought this thread was NOT going over MJ's solo career and contributions.
In that case, these lists may help and summarise things:
These lists are still missing the T.V.-only stuff I think.
When We Grow Up (Roberta Flack)

This was not included in the thread because it was never released. The original version which I think it entirely sung by Diana Ross was released on CD. Not The Michael Jackson and Roberta Flack version.

This was not included in the thread because it was never released.
Free To Be... You And Me was officially released on DVD. I bought it years ago. Not just for Mike though, they used to show this in elementary school every year on a film projector. I don't know if it's still in print though

The Jackson 5 cartoon was also released on DVD & Blu Ray for a brief period. I bought that too. That one I know is out of print.

Free To Be... You And Me is in print. It can be purchased here. Movies Unlimited sell official releases, not bootlegs. I guess this is a newer printing, because my cover is different, not an anniversary edition. I first bought it in the 1990s on VHS, then when the DVD first came out, I got that. I still have the videotape somewhere, probably in a box.

Free To Be... You And Me was officially released on DVD. I bought it years ago. Not just for Mike though, they used to show this in elementary school every year (...)

Thanks, I had no idea it was ever released on DVD, thought it was on TV and then forgotten... I guess being in Europe doesn't help getting accurate info on this kind of shows.

Thanks, I had no idea it was ever released on DVD, thought it was on TV and then forgotten... I guess being in Europe doesn't help getting accurate info on this kind of shows.
The DVD probably won't work over there. It's likely region locked.

Relistened to Off the Wall, Triumph, Thriller, the MJ songs on Victory, Bad, and the song "2300 Jackson Street" today. MJ definitely peaked on Thriller. It was admirable that he wrote almost all of Bad by himself, but I guess that since it was his first album writing nearly an entire album by himself, he just couldn't do the best job. Maybe if he kept writing the majority of his albums on his own, he might have eventually done a great job, but that wouldn't be the case, as he'd eventually get a ton of help from other songwriters on his subsequent albums.

Dangerous, History and Invincible are long albums, so maybe I'll relisten to one of them a day starting tomorrow. I'll also relisten to the original songs on Blood on the Dance Floor soon.

Relistened to Off the Wall, Triumph, Thriller, the MJ songs on Victory, Bad, and the song "2300 Jackson Street" today. MJ definitely peaked on Thriller. It was admirable that he wrote almost all of Bad by himself, but I guess that since it was his first album writing nearly an entire album by himself, he just couldn't do the best job. Maybe if he kept writing the majority of his albums on his own, he might have eventually done a great job, but that wouldn't be the case, as he'd eventually get a ton of help from other songwriters on his subsequent albums.

Dangerous, History and Invincible are long albums, so maybe I'll relisten to one of them a day starting tomorrow. I'll also relisten to the original songs on Blood on the Dance Floor soon.

I tried, but I can't 😂 The point is that the newer MJ music, the more I've listened to it. For example I've relistened Invincible album for about 2000 times, Dangerous for about 1000 times, Bad and Thriller for about 500 times, History, BOTDF - about 400, OTW - maybe 50, other songs before OTW - 1 or zero times😅

There are ways to make it work.
Like a region free player? Those aren't sold in any legit stores and the people who do that charge a lot more money for the same player that is sold elsewhere.

Like a region free player? Those aren't sold in any legit stores and the people who do that charge a lot more money for the same player that is sold elsewhere.

Not thinking about a player but software exist to bypass that kind of constraints. Alternatively, some drives/players can change region a limited number of times. So one could even imagine having a dedicated drive for given region if they face this case often. But I think the software way just takes less space.

(edit: + one could also simply have a player deliver from another region...)

Just about done relistening to Dangerous, History, Blood on the Dance Floor (the original songs) and Invincible.

All weak albums. Think I'll relisten to some of the Motown stuff next.

Back