Headphones or not?

Psychoniff

Proud Member
To best appreciate MJ's songs (particularly his vocals) do you guys listen through ear/headphones or through speakers?

To me, plugging my ears in listening really lets me soak in how good a vocalist he was.

Last edited:
I got the 12" single of "The Way You Make Me Feel" and listened to the vocal track through headphones and it was like he was standing right in front of me.

I have some hearing/speech issues, so I have to do headphones. But anytime, anywhere, in any system of audio delivery is A-OK by me. Usually club DJs are really, really good at pumping it out so I don't miss anything :)

I think that listening to Michael's songs with earphones in creates the best experience of hearing his songs where you can hear little sounds that you may not have picked up on before. For example, 'Stranger in Moscow' is a great song to listen to with earphones in as you can hear the song quietly build up, firstly silence/rainy weather in the background, then the beat, then the guitar, and Michael's vocals with backing vocals, all blended together to form the music as a whole

Maybe it's the case of that the quieter songs are better to be listened to with headphones in and the more beaty louder songs with speakers :) I sometimes find that the beat is too much for my ears to handle regarding louder songs and I have to listen to them with speakers instead

Last edited:
I prefer headphones if I listen to a NEW album of a NEW song of Michael also to get the 'flavour' of all the sounds that you simply don't hear with speakers.

Yeash, headphones give you a better 'connection' and 'feel' with Michael's voice especially with the soft songs.

I agree the more rock edge songs are better on speakers!

Currently, I listen to most of my music with proper headphones (but sometimes in public I'll wear earbuds instead) :)

It's definitely worth investing a little in proper headphones. I'm not talking about the ones that are like $200, mine cost $80NZD (well, I got them on discount for $51!) but I'm very happy with them :)

I'm listening with headphones right now, lol! When I want to be alone with the music, I'll don the headphones (headphones on, world off state of mind). If I just want to dance, I'll listen via stereo speakers. Loudly :lmao:

Currently, I listen to most of my music with proper headphones (but sometimes in public I'll wear earbuds instead) :)

It's definitely worth investing a little in proper headphones. I'm not talking about the ones that are like $200, mine cost $80NZD (well, I got them on discount for $51!) but I'm very happy with them :)

Indeed, I blew a fortune on cheap headphones and earbuds tlll one day, I bumped into some 'decent' headphones and I went HUH, what a crisp sound is this? WOW.

Yeah, usually in the morning like now #MJJCRadio is 'blasting' through my computer speakers and of course when I go out, I take my headphones with me and "latearly" lol when the neighbours are asleep I pop in my headphones too ;)

I prefer to listen through speakers if I'm being honest. Although I guess it depends on my mood. I do listen through headphones sometimes too. Usually I first notice smaller details in the music through headphones, then once I notice those details I hear them all the time and can pick them out while using speakers. If that makes sense, haha.

I love some great speakers but you can dissect a song on a deeper level with headphones.. you can appreciate all the things that normally would get drowned out.. Also the specific effects per ear that they send sounds to.. often specific instraments hit one (ear phone) and others with the other (ear phone).. they do those effects with speakers but generally are not as effective since they come from a general direction..

I think I listen to his music mostly with headphones, but there's nothing like hearing Billie Jean or Tabloid Junkie or Who Is It with their amazing beat or a great hard song like Black or White and Beat it on speakers really loud, just like Michael would love hahaha

I usually listen through speakers since I'm at work and play his songs through my old Android phone which I have plugged into a stereo. When I'm at home I try to listen through headphones and there's a definite difference. I listened to the Dangerous album with my Sennheisers on and picked up on all these background sounds I never heard before. It's really amazing how many layers there are to Michael's music. ^.^

Back when we still had him I used to almost always be blasting Michael's music. To me it was the very best way to listen to Michael's music. I only used the headphones if I absolutely have to. Like going to and from my high school. I always had him playing in my walkman. This was during the HIStory Era. Even during school hours I can't help put my headphones on and play him. I just could not get through a single school day. Without hearing that sweet sexy voice of his. He was my obsession back then. But now a days I usually just listen to Michael with headphones. Like I am doing now. I have to now since I live with 2 MJ haters. And the one MJ hater is usually home almost all of the time now. It's a shame Michael's music was meant to be blasted. At least I am doing that through my headphones right now.

Back